Code of Conduct

Default Help me choose a fragrance for my roommate who is getting married!

Hello Basenotes,

One of my roommates is getting married in May. Her maid of honor, who is organizing a surprise lingerie shower for her and knows that I like perfume, has asked me to pick out a fragrance to give her instead of lingerie. This is not intended to be a wedding day scent, but I would still like it to feel "special." It should be something pretty, feminine, youthful, and romantic that she could wear to celebrate the beginning of a new stage in her life.

Here is a little info about her. She is in her mid-twenties and is training to work in the medical field. She usually dresses in a cute/sporty sort of way but also enjoys wearing heels, flowy skirts, etc. (she dresses up for church every Sunday). I am looking for a fragrance that is classy and feminine but not too "serious." It needs to be something that a non-fumie would easily be able to appreciate. The only fragrance I've seen her wear is Victoria's Secret Love Spell; however, she wears it pretty frequently and owns both the lotion and the body spray, so I think she would wear and appreciate a bottle of something else too. Basenotes lists the notes of Love Spell as: cherry blossom, red apple, Georgia Peach, muguet, white jasmine, lilac, tamarind, blondewood. So something floral with a bit of sweetness would probably be nice for her (sorry, I realize that's very broad). Nothing too bombastic or outrageously sexy, as those do not really fit with her style and would probably just feel awkward for her to wear.

Also, some thought needs to be put into the image of the fragrance. She has a down-to-earth, sweet personality and would probably not want to wear anything with a name like Guilty, Poison, Insolence, etc. I would also like to get her something with a nice (or at least non-hideous) bottle.

Both designer and niche suggestions are welcome, although preferably not overly obscure or pricey niche brands... names like Creed, Frédéric Malle, Serge Lutens, etc. would not mean anything to her anyway. Here are a few ideas I have so far based on fragrances I've sampled:

- Caron Aimez-Moi
    - Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps
    - Dior J'adore
    - Guerlain Idylle
    - L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons

Thank you so much for your comments!

Default Re: Help me choose a fragrance for my roommate who is getting married!

L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons

Overcome By Fumes

Sounds lovely!

All of your ideas would be very fitting. The one that came to mind when I was reading your description was L'Instant de Guerlain, or perhaps L'Instant Magic.

Blog Entries

Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. Radiant, classy, romantic, beautiful. And perfect for a bride.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

As soon as I read lingerie party, I thought about the upcoming Guerlain frag Eau de Lingerie, which is supposed to be something that a lady can put on her underwear. It could be a fun play on the occasion's name. Nobody has smelled it yet, but it seems to be a light fruity floral, which would fit the description you gave. And Guerlain is a very serious brand, so nothing one could be scared about.

Otherwise, I like the idea of Aimez moi. Goutal is also a brand that seems to fit the style, with lightish floral, a touch sweet, non-sultry scents.

cacio

J'Adore sounds great and highly suitable.

Further suggestions: Laura by Laura Biagiotti, for the clean, romantic and, surprinsingly, quite non-perfumy, yet still youtful, casual yet not too playful nor informal side,

at an almost polar opposite: Insolence by Guerlain- mature elegance meets youthful charm in this one, not a light nor easily accesorized scent, but it has a magnetic beauty about it, without ever being overpowering or too brash, it just lingers on tastefully with an immense sophistication that, paradoxically or not, seems quite natural and unadulterated.

I second Insolence as it's playful but still serious. The Aqua Allegoria range is nice and light and all sorts to suit any taste. The bottles are really nice too. I'm sure i've seen a gift set of really cute mini ones. That would be nice as a present. They are very light and inoffensive.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Plus Que Jamais
    ... a wistful yet elegantly polished jewel of a fragrance. Perfect for a bride about to embark on the next stage of her life.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't really agree with the concept of a fragrance as a gift. Sorry if I sound adverse, but this is just my honest opinion. Fragrance is a personal journey. It's not that she would dislike the fragrance you would give her, but for most people, most fragrances are just okay. For most people, it's hit or miss. There are a few fragrances they really like and some they don't.

If you don't mind the risk that she may think what you give her is "just alright, but nothing special", then do it.