Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Gucci Pour Homme II

I've decided to shorten my reviews to make them more focused and save us both some time.

So, today is Gucci Pour Homme II (excellent bottle). And no, it's not discontinued.

Scent: 4.5/5

The notes include bergamot, violet, tea, cinnamon, leather, tobacco and some woods. The sheer variety of notes is impressive. The tea and cinnamon do make this fragrance (with otherwise shrill notes) smooth. Burberry London and (maybe Spicebomb too) could be likened to this due to the cinnamon/leathery/tobacco vibe. Like London, it has masculine ingredients, yet it is largely a soft pleasing fragrance (smooth like Bulgari Black), which is also a tea-based fragrance.

It smells (at least in the opening) like Fahrenheit, maybe due to the violet, bergamot and leather (especially the bergamot). But a smoother sweeter Fahrenheit. I find the bergamot note a little overpronounced, and compared to the rest of the notes, it does stand out as a little. Otherwise, perfect.

Projection: 2.5/5
    This scent projects well for the first hour, but after that is a skin scent. People won't be able to smell it unless they were close to you.

Longevity: 3/5
    This is a bit spotty, so I guess it has to due with how well it projects. Sometimes I've gotten 8 hours out of this. Sometimes I've been lucky to get 4.

Versatility: 4/5
    I'm not sure if it's strong enough for the harsh cold or meant for scorching heat, but its warm enough for for cool weather and safe enough for warm weather

Value: 4.5/5
    For $70, you are getting quality. This is on par, if not better, than Dior/Chanel/Hermes, which are all a bit more expensive. This is definitely one of the best quality designers I've tried, in terms of notes and in terms of compositions. $70 tends to be the standard retail price for most designers, though you won't find large discounts for this on the grey market.

Overall Rating: 4/5
    (not an average; on a designer scale)

It's unique and original, it's largely versatile, excellently composed (for the most part). Performance issues do hold it back from getting a perfect score, but otherwise it is a masterful fragrance.

Verdict: For those with a large diverse collection, I would recommend buying this. But for everyone else, I encourage you to sample this. Gucci Pour Homme II shouldn't be missed by any man who is interested in fragrances.

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme II

It's a must try fragrance in my book and a very good tea based scent.

I bought a bottle of this for $20, mainly to add to my collection of Guccis.
    I can't say I'm as enamoured of it as many others are. It doesn't remind me of Fahrenheit either.
    Cheers,
    Renato

It is a great fragrance. On my skin longevity is excellent and it lasts for almost the whole day.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

I also think it is a great value (I purchased several bottles a few months ago when the rumors started swirling around).

I think it actually smells quite similar to Tea for Two, but this is better IMO. And, at least so far, it is less discontinued than the l'Artisan fragrance.

One of the best in my collection.

Nice review noirdrakkar.

Comments about longevity, projection and that it did get slated in Turin's book prevented me from a blind purchase so far. Def one I'd prefer to test first.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This would be very good for a signature scent, if you like it a lot.
    If not, it's great to be apart of a collection as well.

Nice review, thanks. I recently ordered a sample of this. The tea note, positive reviews, and the possibility of it being more difficult to find in the future piqued my interest. Was considering blind buying it, but figure it wouldn't hurt to first spend a few bucks on a sample from ebay. Hope to try it out soon.

Also waiting for a sample of Bvlgari Pour Homme, as I hear that also has a really nice tea note and rave reviews. I enjoy tea based scents like Silver Mountain Water, Tea for Two, and Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir.

One of the most wearable and versatile tea scents, plus a casual, light fragrance with a sense of style.

Dcampbell

I love this stuff as well. Odd thing is I had a botte I bought a couple years ago from one store and it seemed brighter with more citrus. I just bought another bottle about a month ago from a different store and this one seems darker with more of the tobbaco and tea notes being dominate. Either way great juice.

I absolutely love it and strangely (because I rarely get longevity from anything) this last all day on me! Not sure how long it projects further than my nose though :-/

Interesting that you make a Fahrenheit comparison, I don't actually get that from it, but I suppose it would make sense as these are my 2 favourite frags of all time!

I'm picking up a bottle of this and DHS for the upcoming spring and summer. It is a wonderful scent.

An overall great scent IMO.

Ha! I'm glad someone else saw the similarities between GPHII and Fahrenheit. The opening of both always reminded me of one another. Good scent but the longevity was never there for me so I had to swap it away.

Purchased my first bottle a few years ago when was it initially introduced. Just got another one a few months ago. Great fragrance. A definite compliment getter. Another good review bro!
    Last edited by sjg3839; 31st January 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    One of the most wearable and versatile tea scents, plus a casual, light fragrance with a sense of style.
    Exactly. Also I'd like to add that my September 2009 batch bought on scentedmonkey projects and lasts well.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Very safe and universally well-liked.

I easily get 10 hours from GphII. I don't smell any resemblance to Fahrenheit at all. There's a hint of a similarity with Hanae Mori HiM (not to be confused with H.M.), but that only lasts for a moment in the way the two open.

GphII is really superb. I'd rate it among the best of the best designer releases currently available.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

A great, versatile fragrance. Can easily be something I'd wear as a signature scent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

to clarify, im not saying the fragrance itself as a whole is similar to fahrenheit.

i'm saying that PARTS of it are.

Banned
    Blog Entries

to clarify, im not saying the fragrance itself as a whole is similar to fahrenheit.

i'm saying that PARTS of it are.

Nice review - I like GPHII a lot
    Alan

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Excellent review. Thank you. This is a wonderful tea scent fragrance but I find it to be weak in both sillage and projection. For me it is not worth the price as re-application is necessary throughout the day. Also, I find GPH! to be more complex and better smelling. It also lasts longer.

Amazing fragrance.

Longevity always scared me with this when I would test it as it is spotty, but you know I realized that longevity isn't spotty, projection is spotty. This will play tricks on your mind and make you think that the fragrance has vanished when it really is still there.

When testing this I could smell it 3hrs later other times I could smell it 8 hrs later. I thought that longevity was lackluster, BUT if you spray this on a part of your body say your forearm, you will be able to smell this for hours there after. Also this stuff has good sillage as well, if there is a draft and someone is near they will get a whiff of the fragrance off of your skin.

I always get a good 8hrs out of this with one spray to the chest and two to the neck/behind the ears, I am able to get whiffs of it all day. It also lasts a very long time on clothes.

Good review noirdrakkar.

I blind bought this a couple of weeks ago based on the stellar reviews. Utter disappointment. On first spray I thought violet, violet, violet, cinammon and violet with a bit of tea. I thought it must be a grower. After three days of wearing it (three sprays each time), instead of growing on me it was just worse and worse to my nose. Like Narciso Rodriguez for Him...with a bit of tea. Really not my thing at all. I now have a 100ml bottle short of 9 or 10 sprays and I'll be giving it away to a friend. That'll teach me to blind buy.

Love GPH II. I'm actually looking to buy a full bottle. I get great longevity with it and I can actually catch whiffs of it for 8+ hours.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

I love this scent and I just picked up another bottle today!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro78 View Post
    I blind bought this a couple of weeks ago based on the stellar reviews. Utter disappointment. On first spray I thought violet, violet, violet, cinammon and violet with a bit of tea. I thought it must be a grower. After three days of wearing it (three sprays each time), instead of growing on me it was just worse and worse to my nose. Like Narciso Rodriguez for Him...with a bit of tea. Really not my thing at all. I now have a 100ml bottle short of 9 or 10 sprays and I'll be giving it away to a friend. That'll teach me to blind buy.
    Yeah, I just sampled this one today and I'm not really sure what to make of it. I do get the tea, but I also get a ton of citrus. Maybe a bit too much for my taste. My wife likes it. Not sure if it's full bottle worthy for me at the moment.

Personaly I adore this fragrance, infact I had nostalgic moments with this...

Basenotes Plus

I also really like gph2 and am going to buy another bottle soon. Does anyone pick up a tamarind note ? I ate tons of tamarind candies when I was a kid so I know what tamarind smells like.

I blind bought this 2 weeks ago.When i took it out of the box and sniffed the inside of the cap i was in love.I havent been able to wear anything else since.I knew from all of the reviews that this lacked sillage and projection so i have been spraying it on my shirt which seems to help.I like this so much that i just bought 2 more 100 ml bottles of it.I have never done that before.