Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Do you feel guilty after testing and not buying in shops?

As long as you are willing to buy from that store if you do find something suitable (as opposed to sampling there and _always_ buying elsewhere), you're a customer. Unless you're dominating a lot of the salesperson's time - making them explain things, dig out samples, blah blah blah, for a non-trivial period of time - there's no reason to feel guilty. For that matter, if you're "dominating" their time because the testers are all out of reach and they have to get them out, then there's no reason to feel guilty either - when they made that decision, they chose to increase their labor costs.

I used to do a moderate amount of sampling at a Sephora, but all of the perfumes of interest were ones that were heavily discounted online. So I did make a point of making an occasional full-price purchase.

Like a few others over here, I am also quite picky with fragrances. After all, smell is something I value.

Unfortunately, Australian shops tend to stock only the more commercial perfumes - it is very hard to find the gourmand smells which I like. You find lots of the florals/musky smells here and, of course, the 'celeberity stuff'. Not my cup of tea.

So, every now and again, I go to a department store, try quite a few of perfumes (and usually the SA will have no idea of what gourmand perfumes are anyway), mostly with no success. Unfortunately I do feel guilty, but I don't required assistance - I know what I like and what I'm after, so I am happy to 'browse' by myself.

Besides, you cannot predict how a certain fragrance will smell on your skin or how it will develop after an hour or two.

I just make sure I bite the bullet and spend some money at my favorite local spots every once in a while. Enough that they understand that I am willing to spend money and am not just looking for freebies. I do alot of my purchases from discounters, but paying full price from the higher-end places pays off in the long run. THe SA's will love you and hook you up with samples/freebies/ etc.

I do not feel guilty for trying fragrances and not buying. The testers are provided for FREE by the fashion houses. It costs the store nothing. Secondly, the juice is cheap. They are spending pennies per person. How much does advertising cost in other forms? Third, I will buy later. Maybe not that fragrances, but I will be back to make a purchase. I'm not a guy who just test and tests and never buys. The sales people will earn a comission from me.

Now to flip this thread. I will not buy from stores that do not offer samples. I have never made a purchase from macys. These stores I ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    Now to flip this thread. I will not buy from stores that do not offer samples. I have never made a purchase from macys. These stores I ignore.
    Interesting. I guess it's kind of a "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours." Let me sample and I'll buy from time to time. I try to make sure I pay full price from time to time. I do a lot of buying from discounters, but dropping a little extra at the place that give me sample is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    Interesting. I guess it's kind of a "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours." Let me sample and I'll buy from time to time. I try to make sure I pay full price from time to time. I do a lot of buying from discounters, but dropping a little extra at the place that give me sample is very important.
    There is one fragrance I buy for $100 in store rather than $80 on-line. I pay the $20 extra for good customer service. The extra $20 spent is worth it to me. The sales associate knows her fragrances, she will save bottles for me if they run low so it's not sold to someone else, she is willing to make samples, and if a bottle is bad she will take it back.

If we buy on-line, soon there will be no places to get samples. Then we will have to pay $5-$8 for samples on-line. If you sample 5-10+ before you pick one to buy, you are spending more than you are saving, and you have to wait a week to get your samples. If it's an unknown seller, the juice could be fake. It happened to me buying Body Kouros. Discount stores don't stand behind their products, don't give samples for free, and typically only care about the current sale and not about good customer serivce that brings people back.

If you only go there to sample, and you know that you'll be purchasing your frags elsewhere, then yes, you should feel guilty because you're being a dick. But if you buy from them and just like to sample a wide array before you decide to get something, then no, you shouldn't feel guilty because you're just being a selective consumer.

But I would only apply this to the mom n pop shops. You would owe nothing to Macy's or Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Yes, & it's ok to try on shoes, isn't it? Why not perfumes, too?
    this
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Yes, yes, I confess! I feel terribly guilty for sampling perfumes and not buying there. It's always at Macy's or Dillards that I sample perfumes and I feel so dishonest. The sales associates are always so sweet and give me tons of samples.. I give them hugs and then leave. I'm a horrible person..
    Last edited by Beach Girl; 9th February 2013 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    There's a place near me which I frequent for testing fragrances, but I very rarely buy. Today was particularly noteworthy, as a couple of the staff gave me a rather disparaging look on my way out. I now feel incredibly guilty, and not particularly about going back in other than to buy.

My question to you, BNers, is do you ever feel guilty after testing in a shop and not buying?
    I'm betting we only feel guilty because of the staff (putting a face on a faceless 'corporation' tends to do that). I hate to waste people's time, so I think the most stress-free experience I had testing fragrances was at Tom Ford's in NYC. The store has a separate room for all their fragrances and when I entered it no one gave me a second look nor came in to see if I needed help. I was basically alone in there testing out as many fragrances as I wanted. Didn't feel guilty as there was no one there to make me feel guilty.

Banned
    Blog Entries

not at all

I don't. I don't take samples without some intention of buying something at some point. I feel better about that than I would about buying something I'm not sure about only to return it when I find it doesn't work for me. I also try to space out my sampling (no more than 3 or so at a time in a given store). And I do most of my sampling at stores where I regularly purchase stuff besides fragrance (Sephora, Nordstrom), so they're getting my business even if I don't end up buying many of the scents I sample.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Basenotes Plus

Yes, definately. In my case when I make my rounds through the stores, Neiman's, Saks, Barney's I know ahead of time I'm not buying and I'm just looking to sample certain things I've already mapped out. When SAs approach me I usually let them know from the get go where I stand by saying, "I'm just killing a few minutes", or "I'm just browsing". If I were actually looking to buy something it would be different. Despite my efforts to inform the SAs I'm not a paying customer I still manage to get pulled in by certain SAs who will then spend quite a bit of time with me presumably trying to make a sale. This happens most often at Neiman's where some of the more mature women who work at the fragrance counters are very friendly and very knowlegeable. While I'm standing there feeling guilty I'm thinking to myself, "Dear, if you only knew how jaded I am." So yes I always walk out feeling very pampered and very guilty. Because of that I try to limit my walk throughs to twice a year and try very hard not to become involved.
    Very much like my romantic life.

I feel real bad, I go in their knowing Im not buying a thing and the sales lady be trying her hardest. I go in just to compare my homemade blends against the real thing. i also go and discover new fragrances I have not been introduced to yet.

I did have one lady that i talked to for over a hour about fragrances we had a great time, I still didnt buy anything.