Code of Conduct

Default Occurance of Fakes.. Real or Largly Imagined?

It has been a running theme and I am sure that there is some reality to it - but with all the new restrictions, reformulations, personal sensitivity, and yes sometimes overstatements on Basenotes about silage or longevity- might not much of this hysteria (yes I will put that out there) just be misunderstandings on the scents of today?

I have experienced a good number of times when I blind bought a scent based upon reviews on Basesnotes only to find my opinion of them to be considerably different. The Scent itself, longevity or silage.

Now the longer I have been in the scent world (a few years now) the more I have come to appreciate some of the softer scents- and I do not need nor always expect huge silage or longevity from every scent. And of course the top dollar often payed for such adds to the expectations. But really people - perhaps its more the perceptions of the person (buyers remorse) more than anything with the scent itself?

Default Re: Occurance of Fakes.. Real or Largly Imagined?

Perhaps a combination of both is the reality. Fakes do in fact exist out there but the flip side is that some people also let their imagination run wild at times and become paranoid.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    people also let their imagination run wild at times and become paranoid.
    Mostly this. The number of "is the fragrance I bought from fragrancenet fake" threads is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Mostly this. The number of "is the fragrance I bought from fragrancenet fake" threads is astounding.
    There are a curious number from that source. Makes you wonder...
    He boiled for our sins.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

In the cosmetic industry, perception rules. This being said by an industry's insider.

Just to make the point, packaging and advertisement expenses account to 80% of a scents's costs.

Any wonder why so many high end releases? It is the perfect argument for substantial profit margins.

Nice, ain't it?

Enviado desde mi GT-S5830M usando Tapatalk 2

Real. I let my nose be the judge. And if something is "off" I will do a side by side with the questionable fragrance to a known control sample. Its fairly easy to discern if something is in fact "off". I buy from sources who stand behind the product and allow returns online or to their B&M stores. So its never an issue. I had 1 issue in 8 purchases and the item was returned and replaced. Could have been a fake, a scammer (decanter) returned item, or stale product. Not my problem and I didn't give a bleep either way. It went back and a new item was supplied. And I was spot on as there was a noticeable difference with the first item. Always trust your nose. In all honesty, the ease of decanting fragrances and replacing with clones is a serious issue.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Dior Fahrenheit (2013 & Vintage)

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Vintage)
    D&G The One (Pre-Launch Super Batch Edition)

A combination of both. With the amount of fakes being sold on Ebay, people tend to panic. With sites like Fragrancenet, FragranceX, Luckyscent and others, I really don't think there is a need to panic when ordering from sites like these.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps a combination of both is the reality. Fakes do in fact exist out there but the flip side is that some people also let their imagination run wild at times and become paranoid.
    I have found this to be very true - secondary market buyers can get totally paranoid and make crazy accusations ... and its hard to walk them back to reality

Largely imagined imho.

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff!

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Currently wearing: Confidentiel by Fragonard

Basenotes Plus

Of the 200 or so bottles I have bought in the last year 3 were guaranteed fake. But it wasnt the juice that confirmed my suspicions. Two fake GIT's and a fake Dior Fahrenheit. These were so piss poor in their execution that there was no need to even smell it or do any research. So fakes do in fact exist and will be encountered. All three of those bottles were purchased on ebay. But mind you that was 3 out of over 100. Not bad odds and considering ebay has ALWAYS got my money back it has never been an issue.

Now I will say I think there is a certain amount of newcomers to fragrance who have unrealistic expectations of a fragrance after reading reviews and instead of sampling it they blind buy it. And when they spray it and bentleys and naked women down fall from the heavens they are on here crying foul that they bought a fake from a reputable dealer without doing much research to prove those claims. This fuels other peoples hysteria and it becomes a chain reaction of unneeded paranoia.

Now there are cases though of fragrance not being stored or cared for and it turns. I had a bottle of mugler cologne show up that was more turpentine than it was cologne. The crap actually burned my skin which freaked me out. But even in that case I cant rule out product tampering as it was a splash bottle that would be easily screwed with. I dont mind threads where people ask if they got a fake. Newbies are bound to ask and it is better to educate than to ridicule and hate. What I dont care for are the people who profess they got a fake from a well known and respected dealer and or bad mouth a fragrance whith infintely limited experience with it or fragrances in general. There is a large amount of perception and opinion involved in fragrance. And no matter ones experience they are entitled to an opinion. But when you come on a forum and are going to trash someones work or product it would serve them well to admit if that opinion is and educated one or not. I mean I can have the opinion that dior homme smells like crotch sweat but its one thing to say this based on actually smelling the fragrance and having worn it and its another to simply repeat what you have heard or to just fabricate stories from thin air. And unfortunately I have witnessed people express strong opinions about things positive and negative with 0 experience with it. Even going to far as to recommend or not recommend something that hasnt even been released or basing their thoughts of of a sample that they unfold and smell the glue in a magazine. To me there is a certain amount of negligence involved in that.

Fakes exist in surprisingly large numbers, but those are dwarfed by the genuine articles on the market. If you buy a hundred frags, chances are all will be real. I'd consider getting a fake a relatively rare bet.

So many "is X fake?" threads these days. I haven't seen any to be actually fake! The chances are definitely increased with purchases from either Ebay or street vendors. Anything else and you're not likely looking at a fake (i.e., fragrancenet, Sephora, etc.)

I have encountered only two fakes: hypnose for women, and safari for men. I wish I kept the bottles or documented with photos the tell-tale signs. What I remember is: misspellings on the box, crappy glass, bad lettering, and a smell that was obviously IMMEDIATELY as being wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Plot twist: FragranceNet IS now selling fakes, we merely fail to believe it!

I came to learn after being here for almost a month that reading reviews has very little to do with my decision and that something that sounds remotely interesting i will go and test myself at the boutique or order from surrender and try it myself and judge it myseld as it may be dofferent on my skin and to my nose than on others. There are fakes but most of the fake claims could be having higher expectations than the given result of such fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by raw810 View Post
    I came to learn after being here for almost a month that reading reviews has very little to do with my decision and that something that sounds remotely interesting i will go and test myself at the boutique or order from surrender and try it myself and judge it myseld as it may be dofferent on my skin and to my nose than on others. There are fakes but most of the fake claims could be having higher expectations than the given result of such fragrance.
    +1

bang - I agree. Happens and then they think - and that bottle does look a little funny, - I must have gotten a fake!