Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lifelong Fragrance Addict

Default Re: Recent downtime and the going forward (February 2013)

My point exactly. What kind of post was that ?
    Providing knowledge of the Occult, Witchcraft and Paranormal since 1976 !

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Grant: Thanks for the update and for the great work!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    Oops, I thought the panty-dropper comments were supposed to be a secret only shared in the male fragrance threads. Now we're going to have tens of thousands of angry female Basenoters calling us male chauvinist pigs. Oh well.
    Do you actually think we don't read the male forum? Most of us just roll our eyes & move on, actually.

Thanks Grant for the updates, keep up the good work! l too have noticed problems at 6am, just after l log in before getting ready for my early shifts. l thought it must be all the American basenoters logging in late at night!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

When can I haz wardrobe back?

I am totally on Team Basenotes. Grant, you're lovely.

Dwain

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the effort Grant. I'm sure it ain't easy.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Do you actually think we don't read the male forum? Most of us just roll our eyes & move on, actually.
    Oh yes, I know the feeling. I had a similar problem with logic classes until I finally began to understand what was being said and taught.

'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Ha ! Touche ! That was a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    When can I haz wardrobe back?
    Yep, that's what I'm missing too. I know Grant's working hard. Hopefully we'll get the wardrobe back soon!

The directory has fallen from google. It used to be that I could search "basenotes kouros" on google and the first link was to the basenotes directory. Now it goes to positive reviews, negative reviews, ect. Even while the directory was turned off, at least googles cache had the page so we could look at the basenotes pyramid. That pyramid is very helpful when deciding what to buy. I hope it gets back on google soon. I assume when you took the directory down, google stoped indexing some pages. BTW, I can't even find the URL by clicking on Fragrance Directory at the top so I can look it up at the wayback machine.

Grant,

The “Green Housewives" ad is real problem. It pops up again and again regardless of how many times I attempt to close it. The relentless nature of that ad is really off-putting. The need for ad revenue notwithstanding, I would find it increasingly frustrating to keep coming back to the site if those sorts of ads continue.

I've never had a pop-up ad on this site, even before I became a Plus member. Maybe you have a virus and it has nothing to do with Basenotes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can suppress pop-ups with your web browser. I use Firefox and it's pretty simple. You can block popups and then allow specific sites only like eBay, your banking, etc.

The ad is for Greenworks by Clorox and is a pretty mainstream advertisement (not likely a virus or Trojan). It is a Flash embed on the right sidebar that expands to a pop-up despite Safari's pop-up blocker. If you are not seeing it, it may be blocked by Firefox (I'm not seeing it in Firefox right now either) or it may be a microtargeted ad. Marketing agencies ,that represent a number of clients, may rent space on a site and run microtargeting software based on region, personal demographics and browsing patterns. You and I may be on the same page at the same time and have completely different "web ad experiences". Other pages on Basenotes have similar Flash ads (in Safari at least) that do not have the same behavior. What I'm saying is that the advertisers should be made aware of misbehaving ads if they run contrary to what the webmasters for the site intend because, if they continue, I suspect they will irritate a lot of people.

- - - Updated - - -

And now the side bar is gone entirely. This was actually the first day that I noticed it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Done!

Freaking awesome!!!!

Its around this time the forum gets slow. I've been trying to view basenotes for the past 15 minutes and it's just a blank white screen.

I hope these posts and the time helps find the bottleneck.

Just a suggestion if these bugs continue. Is it an unfeasable thing to re-start fresh with the virgin host and then slowly move stuff over one by one? It may leave the bug behind. I don't know enough about computers to know if that is a ridiculous idea.

The wardrobe is up, but you still can't post scent of the day to add to your count? Sure hope this comes back. That's what I like about the wardrobe cataloging.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    The wardrobe is up, but you still can't post scent of the day to add to your count? Sure hope this comes back. That's what I like about the wardrobe cataloging.
    Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    +1.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

The site is a total f*ck up today. I'm giving up.

All the bits that were down are now back up. I've basically gone through all the code with a fine toothed comb and tried to make sure all of the database queries were properly indexes and as optimised as possible or to put it a simpler way - make sure the code isn't hammering the server.

However. There is still a few hours a day where the site just decides to be a bit pony. It seems to occur between 4.30am and 8.30 GMT. Now, normally at 6am GMT, there is a back-up process which normally brings the site down for a minute or two -- this time is when their is least people on the site -- and this is somehting that can't be helped.

But, the fact that these downtimes seem to occur at a similar time, makes me think there may be other automated processes (either things I've coded myself, from the hosts, or built in to the forum software), which are causing lots of strain. That's the next thing I need to look into.

Apologies once again for all this. Hopefully things are going in the right direction. Though to me it seems like i'm always going round in circles :/

Thank you for all your efforts. I have a friend with a large website that encountered a problem as well. She now has much more grey hair- and less of it!

Basenotes Member

Grant,

So far everything appears to be working - thank you for all your hard work.

Grant, thank you for spending so much of your time working on Basenotes, so we can enjoy this site. I'm sure it was frustrating.
    The directory is up and moving so quickly, I barely had time to click off the stars. YOU earn five of them!

When it works, it is fast. It's great 99% of the time. When it doesn't work, there is a 15 minute wait.

Thanks for fixing it. It's much better than before!

Bug Report:

My posts from several days apart were automatically merged on the 'What are you reading' thread.
    Not had that happen before.

The site was very snarly much of today with huge slow gaps when trying to post anything with the red cannot get through to the server notices again, and the spam bots are at work with the mad posts. Question marks and in French today....

Grant should turn off new members for the moment methinks.
    I also suspect some kind of server flooding from malicious people.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

My thoughts exactly re. dos? - glad I'm not Grant.

Just an update. I have been hit by the database error page at least 20 times today when trying to access pages.

I hope these reports help and don't look like grumbles.

mumsy - multiple, frequent crashes daily only on B/N - could be my browser extensions, but doesn't happen anywhere else.
    Again, not complaining.
    Anyone else have this?
    Last edited by lpp; 1st March 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Not just today, it has been buggy off and on for the past three or four days. Really makes it difficult to update my split thread and PM people with information.

Blog Entries

Yep, same here, especially when posting on a thread.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Not just today, it has been buggy off and on for the past three or four days. Really makes it difficult to update my split thread and PM people with information.

Yep, been the same for me for past few days.

I'm still getting lots of failures to connect.

Hey Grant....just a word of thanks!

I don't know what you've done lately, but the site has been working swimmingly lately for me....and over several days yet! It's probably the best that I've seen it in a long time.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

The site is being lovely now. I don't know what bit you just fixed but whatever it was must have been there.

Tell you what Grant... whatever headaches it might be giving you, your site is still the best layout and atmosphere. Wouldn't leave unless my computer ground to a halt and I was prevented. I wouldn't be where I am now without having found you.

You have an utterly loyal BN fan here. XXXBig kissyXXX