Code of Conduct

Default Article: The Pound Shop Fragrance Challenge

Default Re: Article: The Pound Shop Fragrance Challenge

Ohhh what fun! I am so pleased to hear that you finally found a wedding day fragrance in Rush Hour. Hahaha!

I think, nay, I'm pretty sure you went to my local pound shop. LOL.

You are much much braver than I am.

- - - Updated - - -

You are much much braver than I am.

I suppose the poundshop is a kin to our Walmart or family dollar stores in the US?

if so, this article is sufficiently frightening!

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    I suppose the poundshop is a kin to our Walmart or family dollar stores in the US?

if so, this article is sufficiently frightening!
    It's basically our equivalent of a dollar store. Everything in the shop costs 1.

I'm glad my pain amused people ... <weeps for humanity>

A perfect read for a Sunday morning :-)

And Rush Hour is a genius name for a perfume!

Huzzah! I've been waiting for someone to do one of these for ages! I was hoping it was Poundland you visited for your olfactory gems though, as they have quite a number of 'fragrances' in there that I'm too afraid to try. Great article nonetheless!

Any chance you could spill the beans on which poundshop you did visit? Or at least PM me with it? I can't say I've seen those beauties on my travels.

Louise - that's what we call "taking one for the team" on this side of the Atlantic. Or maybe a test of fealty is more like it.

It'sMySake!

Genius.

Whats with the picture of big pink penis in some guys face?

Thank you for that article. That is quite the funniest thing and I have just chortled all the way through it.

I think you deserve a BN medal for this.

Oh, what fun! This might actually prove useful to the people who like to wear this kind of stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    I think you might need to see a doctor...

Quote Originally Posted by Hayven View Post
    Oh, what fun! This might actually prove useful to the people who like to wear this kind of stuff...
    but it's doubtful they are here

I concur lol.

LOL! This is exactly what I thought when I saw the image...it is indeed very suggestive (and hilarious).

.....and for your next experiment .....and you thought you had reached the bottom of the perfume tree......visit the 99p shop and spend 13.86 on 14 fragrances......

Actually ....don't diss the 1 shop or 99p shop....a lot of my make up comes from there lately.....MaxFactor...Bourjois....Revlon....Maybe lline....!!! Not sure I'd brave the perfumes though.....what I have sniffed in passing smells like those ghastly 'celebrity' brands which are sickly to the point of olefactory enteritis! As one celeb goes back to oblivion the perfume is passed on to the next 'great thing' to put their name to....wish the perfumes would pass into oblivion too.....!!!

I read somewhere that many of the 'under ranks' were in fact made by the very same manufacturers that make some of the lovelies. I may be very wrong but I'm sure I remember seeing that Bourgois is made by something to do with the hands of Chanel somehow. I use the Bourgois powder because I adore the smell of it. It reminds me of my grandmother.

The Tescos 'Make up" in the black compacts is made by a high ranking make up artist too, was it Barbara Daly? There are loads like that. I cannot think of any more off the top of my head. I do know that some research was done with lots of high end down to low end face moisturisers in a scientific comparison test. Did the high end Kanebo 100+ win? No... the cheap Vaseline Intensive care won hands down.... lol

Some of the high end perfumes smell like that too. I tried a right scrubber on this morning from a fairly well known house. Proper price of 35ish and I would have preferred one from the pound shop.

I love this article well done for doing it, i've only tried a few at my local pound shops and they're all err interesting... lol. I have come across some funny ones though like 99p versions of 1 Million and Hugo which wernt too bad just terrible fakes.
    Excellent challenge though i can imagine you walking to the tills with 14 bottles! lol

Basenotes Junkie

This was superb reading, thank you very much!
    Last edited by DMA; 6th February 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Very funny! Enjoyed reading this a lot. Our Dollar Stores have similar knock off versions of good scents.

You're right Mumsy....many cosmetics of different brands (and prestige) are made in the same factory! This timeline makes for interesting reading regarding the relationship and acquisition of cosmetic and perfume brands:

http://cosmeticsandskin.com/cosmetic...s-timeline.php

Unfortunately I don't think there are likely to be any truly great scentsations as there have been in the past. Factories can churn out gallons of 'perfume' but because of the limitations of ingredients and the synthetic quality of it, most is 'nice' but quite forgettable....whether its a top brand or a 99p one! What used to set them apart was the quality of their ingredients which affected not just the 'smell' but the staying power! Having said that, the very best knock off I ever had was a bottle of Spanish Chanel No 5 bought in a Benidorm market in the early 70's for 1 for a 2oz bottle....even the bottle was like the real thing....it was divine! I wish I had bought more than one bottle!

Like I said previously, my pet hate is that sickly, cloying generic crud marketed under celebrity labels.....it is nasty! Just because some singer or actress has their name on it people buy it....regardless of the fragrance (I'm being kind calling it 'fragrance').....very little imagination goes into its creation....fast as they fall out of favour and sales drop off....they simply redesign the bottle, relabel and market it with the next hot to trot 'celebrity' name...or brand! Perfume should set you apart from the 'crowd' .....not blend you into one synthetic pool of pong! You might just as well get a bottle of 99p perfume.....there is very little difference....and some of it might even be better.....!!!

I am so glad I wasn't the only one boggling at the GIANT PINK PENIS in the illustration! Whilst penises (penii?) are, like, aces and skill, and stuff, it was a bit of a surprise to see one here ...

Thanks for all the brilliant comments, everyone, it was (almost) worth it, just for those! However, for my next Basenotes piece I shall be demanding a stunt double.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

My niece raves about Lidl's version of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. Apparently, it even fooled some very experienced "noses". Have to look for "Rush Hour". I LOVE Gucci Rush.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Persolaise View Post
    And Rush Hour is a genius name for a perfume!
    Reminds me of Jet Lag . . . not sure I agree that unpleasant travel experiences make good perfume names. Mile High Club otoh...

Such a fantastic and entertaining article!!

Oh. My. Word.

This is great! Thank you for your sacrifice.