Code of Conduct

Default Ferre Bergamotto Marino

Hey all -

So, as far as I can tell, your usual retail shops probably won't carry Bergamotto Marino by Ferre. I've been intrigued by the positive reviews, though, and it's so affordable that I'm considering a blind buy. I was wondering, though, if anyone who's tried it/owns it/etc. would be willing to compare it to any other fragrances. When I read some folks talk about a bit of a melon opening, I think Millesime Imperial. Any truth to such a comparison, or not quite on the mark? Designer comparisons? Niche comparisons? Anything would help, as perhaps I've sniffed a few of those and can be a little more informed before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Last edited by bleedredandblue; 6th May 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Default Re: Ferre Bergamotto Marino

I personally have never detected a melon note in this frag. There is a stunning combo of jasmine and a "salt air" note that comes through once the very crisp bergamot note starts to mellow. Note that the bergamot never goes away - it's not there just to lift the top notes, it's the star player.

I admit freely that I bought this blind. Yes, a honking 6-oz bottle and I'd never even smelled it. Best gamble I ever took - love it, no regrets.

Like Jardanel stated you get a nice bergamont with a slight melon vibe (very slight). Citrusy and slightly aquatic, this is one you may want to own my friend. Brought blind about two years ago and never looked back. When the one I have runs out, I will be purchasing another bottle. Summer gem.

Sound Scents

It is not like MI and I personally prefer the Bergamotto Marino of the two, though I own and like both.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The best fragrance you can buy at the prices it can be found at. It won't blow you away but it'll serve anyone well in warmer weather. I have a 50ml to travel with and a 200ml back up. It would be rated well at creed prices.

I blind bought it and it's very nice for the price, but I don't think it's worth too much more than its cost. It is, however, very useful in warmer weather when you don't want to wear something too expensive and don't want to worry about how much you're applying.

It's very sharp, and undoubtedly has that marine kick. The longevity is reasonably good for an EDC and the bottle is very well made.
    The scent pales in comparison to other citrus EDCs out there, and I even prefer the smell of the trusty 4711 to Ferre's effort.

I won't be replacing it when I eventually use it up. 4711, AdP Colonia and Chanel Eau de Cologne are all preferable alternatives.

Interesting thoughts, everyone. Appreciate your insight. As some have said, it's not the biggest risk of a blind buy, since the price is so reasonable. The idea of an EDC with a slight aquatic vibe for some reason interests me. Just may have the pull the trigger!

I see testers on ebay for $25 and found online for a bit less. With the reviews i would say it is a safe buy at that price, just have expectations that it wont blow anyone away, but will be great in the heat when others may be too cloying.

edit: found it on dreamyfragrances dot com seems to be under $17 shipped for me. not sure about the seller though

edit again: question for those that have it. If i have AdP Essenza do i care to have this? The tester i was going to get for ~ $23 will not resell at all should i not like it i am guessing
    Last edited by axmaster45; 7th May 2013 at 02:06 PM.

I find it similar to MI because it has an aquatic feel without the obvious aquatic notes. It's a really nice fragrance that can be worn casually or dressed up. Great for the summer.

Blind bought this myself a little while ago, I should have gotten a bigger bottle. Totally worth the rather small investment. I don't particuarly like melon, in fact I hate MI, so I don't get much comparison to that, don't really smell any melon in this. If you smell the dry sprayer is smells like the ocean, but not in a cloying fishy way like some modern Creeds. It's definitely a marine scent at it's core, but with a huge dollop or bright citrusy bergamont up top, which hangs around for most of the time. It lasts a hell of a lot longer than any other eau de cologne type fragrance I own. It smells modern, doesn't really smell like a typical Eaux, reminds me of some 90's oceanic/aquatic scents, but much better. This is the only "marine" scent I have, or plan on having, I mostly like classics. Once it warms up I think this will be a go to scent for the Summer. I can't imagine anyone finding it offensive.

Good scent, never had the opportunity to test its longevity and projection, but the impression of its sheer notes was more than pleasant for me.

That's the thing - with the weather in my neck of the woods about to skyrocket into the triple digits, a nice citrusy/slightly aquatic scent would do oh so well, and while I enjoy some of the higher end Creed aquatics (MI/Erolfa), I don't know that I enjoy them enough to fork over Creed-level $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedredandblue View Post
    That's the thing - with the weather in my neck of the woods about to skyrocket into the triple digits, a nice citrusy/slightly aquatic scent would do oh so well, and while I enjoy some of the higher end Creed aquatics (MI/Erolfa), I don't know that I enjoy them enough to fork over Creed-level $$$.
    Another thing about Bergamotto Marino is that it lasts and projects really well. I'm pretty sure it's an EdC, but it projects and lasts better than most of the sport or summer EdT's. If this were $100 + it would still be a good buy, at the price it's at it's a steal.

Cannot beat Bergamotto Marino for a cheapie. Ocean breeze blowing through fresh laundry hung on bergamot and jasmine.

Not great but a very decent and solid scent at a very realistic price. Was it not for the bergamot dominance, I'd feel that it had not only some MI-features, but also a little bit of some Erolfa characteristics.

OK for it's price point, but IMO nothing special.

my first impression is AIRY. smells like clean ocean air.

I personally think its a very good, and unique casual scent. It has the feeling of all the citrusy, melony, aquatic scents, but the feeling of floating on air is very unique IMO and I haven't smelled anything like this.

It gives me the image of waking up on a cool summer morning and going down to the beach with the wind blowing, and getting the light ocean scents.

definitely recommend this for casual summer use.

blind bought this and quickly flipped it as did not think much of it..

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    blind bought this and quickly flipped it as did not think much of it..
    Give it another shot if it isnt too late! First wear from a decant from a generous BN member was "What the heck are those people seeing in this?" Then wore it again today, different story. Really enjoyed it and it lasted 6+ hours. Not bad for $16 item, worth plenty more.