Code of Conduct

Default The L'HBI Mystery Sample Pass!

PLEASE DON'T REPLY BEFORE READING THIS POST, M'KAY? THANKS!

This is going to be a unique kind of sample pass. It's a mystery sample pass. We'll be sniffing fragrances without any information about the name, house or even the notes. The goal is to sniff blind, judging nothing but the juice itself. Do you like it? Dislike it? What do you smell? Would you wear it? What do you think? Eh? We'll be posting our thoughts in this thread as the pass goes around.

The mystery sample pass will have four participants and begin with one sample. Each person will add an unlabeled "mystery sample" to the pass when he receives it. Each sample will be marked with a number, beginning at 1 and increasing in sequence. The fourth person will send the sample pass to the first person on the list to create a loop so the pass can keep evolving.

The first time you receive the sample pass, you'll post a review for each sample in this thread, and, of course, you'll add a mystery sample. From then on, each time you receive the sample pass, you'll also post the name of the fragrance you added last time which just finished making the rounds. That sample stays in the pass to go around once more so we can all review it again now that we know what it really is.

Once the pass reaches eight samples, we'll remove the oldest (the lowest number) when adding a new one, thus keeping the pass to eight samples. At that point, the sample you're removing will have made the rounds to four people twice: once as a mystery scent and once with its name known (in fact, it'll be the sample you added the time before last).

STILL WITH ME?

When you receive the sample pass, you'll post reviews of all of the samples here, except for the ones you added.

When you add a sample, you'll make sure it has no visible label, and you'll mark it with the next number in the series.

Only you will know what mystery sample you added until the sample pass comes back to you, which is when you'll reveal its name in this thread and give it another go around.

Eight samples. Four people. Each scent goes around the pass twice. Remove the oldest. Add a new one. And the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round

Should be fun, right?! I hope so!

Because the samples need to make the rounds twice, the pass will be limited to four people (three plus me). Obviously, you'd send a sample you yourself don't need to sniff, since it wouldn't be a mystery to you. This also helps conserve juice for everyone else (unless the sample you're adding is particularly large of course). Samples need to be large enough for the other three people in the pass to review twice.

THE RULES:

You must have at least 250 posts here (be an active member, in other words) and be in the continental U.S. You must be able to add a sample to the pass each time you receive it. You need to be able to share your thoughts in this thread. And it's important that you're not intimidated by sharing your thoughts without knowing the names of the fragrances you're reviewing.

All samples will be either male or unisex. If you want to add a feminine sample, that's fine so long as it's a sample of something YOU actually wear. This is a men's mystery sample pass, after all. If you decide at some point you don't want to be involved anymore, you'll need to contact me so I can find someone to fill your slot.

One more important rule: Obviously, one of the mystery samples may turn out to be something you already own. If you figure out what one of them is, do not post it's name! It's not a mystery if people who haven't received it yet already know what's coming. That's why each scent will be passed around twice: once as a mystery, and once after being revealed. Don't even post guesses or clues. We don't want to ruin the next person's chance to sniff blind.

The point IS NOT to try and figure out what each mystery scent is. The point is to sample fragrances without any marketing influence or hype. This should be fun!

THE GOAL:

My goal is to create a unique ongoing pass where we'll get to sample and review fragrances without any marketing or hype, and then re-review each scent as it goes around a second time to compare how thoughts changed once we know what it is. Did the name matter? Did extra info such as the price, history, house or notes change the way any of us judged a particular fragrance?

YOU IN?

If you're interested, sign up!
    Slot #1: L'HBI!
    Slot #2: _____OPEN!______
    Slot #3: _____OPEN!______
    Slot #4: _____OPEN!______

- - - Updated - - -

In case the idea here sounds too abstract... the first fragrance I planned on sending was going to be Sycomore by Chanel. It gets a lot of love here, so I thought it'd be interesting to get people's thoughts if they sampled it without knowing what it was until the 2nd time the sample went around.

If there's interest in doing this mystery sample pass, let me know and I'll pick a different first sample to send. I've got what I think is an interesting one.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 14th May 2013 at 09:20 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: The L'HBI Mystery Sample Pass!

What a great idea! Come on guys, let's get the sign up going! I am going to be a spectator, but these are alot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great idea and I would also be a spectator of the game. However, I would like to contribute a sample which might not be available in the states if you are interested.
    Current Favorites:
    J'ai Fait un Reve by Majda Bekkali
    Rose d'Arabie by Armani
    Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Lillipur by Tiziana Terenzi
    Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude, I had this same idea (and might still do it in the future) although mine was more of a forever on-going pass and without the mystery aspect. Kudos on getting this going and sign me up, please!

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    It's a great idea and I would also be a spectator of the game. However, I would like to contribute a sample which might not be available in the states if you are interested.
    That would be FANTASTIC. PM me for my address.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Dude, I had this same idea (and might still do it in the future) although mine was more of a forever on-going pass and without the mystery aspect. Kudos on getting this going and sign me up, please!
    I'm actually planning on doing one of those as well (a "Sample Cycle"), with the idea being that we'd each add a sample to the pass each time we receive it, and after a sample has gone around to all participants once, someone can claim the rest if they want it (otherwise, the sample gets removed after one go-around). The last person in the pass would send back to the first, and the cycle continues with an evolving list of samples. If you're interested, you're in on that one juanderer! I was going to launch that one a week or two after getting this one going.

Needless to say, I'm addicted to sampling. I think people do a MUCH better job of testing a fragrance at home than one could possibly do in a store. I know I do.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 14th May 2013 at 06:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great idea, not to complicate things, but what about international shipping? I have had A LOT of trouble with postal workers asking if there is any liquid, specifically fragrances in all packages I send. I would just hate to see a whole package of samples confiscated by customs...???
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

Yeah, that's why it's continental U.S. only. I'll edit ConUS only in the original post to make it more clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! It puts together our old blind sniffs with our old pass the sample. I'm tied up with other sniffing now, but I'll be watching.

Having done some previous pts and blind sniff, I should warn that things always happen and one gets slowed down - 8 samples at once (even when one has been sniffed already) runs the risk of taking foreveer.

cacio

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not want to participate LHBI, but this is a great idea, thanks for doing this.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea!

I'd love to get involved but I'm too busy at the moment. Hopefully this thing gets going and there will be another chance down the road.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Great idea! It puts together our old blind sniffs with our old pass the sample. I'm tied up with other sniffing now, but I'll be watching.

Having done some previous pts and blind sniff, I should warn that things always happen and one gets slowed down - 8 samples at once (even when one has been sniffed already) runs the risk of taking foreveer.

cacio
    I took part in a sample pass with ten scents a few months ago, so I know what you mean. Really, this will be more like a 6 sample pass among 4 people since each person knows the scents they added. In other words, out of the 8 samples, two will be scents you added yourself, so you wouldn't be sniffing those. Of the other 6, three would be scents you already sniffed once, so those are more like a re-review. Still, I know it'll take time to pass around the loop and that's A-OK!