Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Finally tried LIDGE..

It is no doubt highly over rated but still I find it much better than DHI, which is again very over rated.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

It's extremely overrated. The EDT has much better projection and longevity,
    and is a much better scent overall, IMO.

So it sounds like LIDGE is odd smelling and Dior smells good, but it isn't preferred....

Guess I'll just have to sample.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    LIDGE and DHI are very different. They both have a cocoa dry down but they are quite different. LIDGE is not a feminine scent at all, while some think DHI is because of the lipstick (Iris) note. LIDGE is MUCH easier to wear than DHI for most situations. I think it's more of a classy, gentlemanly scent.

Since you like the gourmands, I think it's a pretty safe bet you would like LIDGE.
    This x 100. Both are MUST HAVES for gourmand lovers.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Let me just get this off my chest: If you judge a fragrance by one wearing, you're doing it wrong.
    Oh, I didn't realise there was an official way of testing fragrances that everyone has to abide by. If you could send me this rule book I'd be most grateful.

I guess I will have to try LIDG next.

Also, I don't get the feminine lipstick accord from DHI, but that's another story. I consider DHI to be the gentleman's gourmand.

As far as saying judging a fragrance by one wearing is wrong.. I disagree. For me, and many others too, we know if we want it based on one wearing. Very little will a fragrance "grow on me" -- don't get me wrong.. it could happen. I usually know if I like something the moment it hits my skin. Examples: Norne, Taste of Fragrance, Esencia (Loewe) and a few other stand out bold ones.

Although, I am not completely writing LIDGE off.. I still have more of a sample to go through.. I think the dry down is actually pretty nice.. but the opening and mid are a bit unbalanced imho. If I like the cocoa note in this, I could find it in a fragrance I like entirely and add that to my wishlist, like DHI.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I guess I will have to try LIDG next.

Also, I don't get the feminine lipstick accord from DHI, but that's another story. I consider DHI to be the gentleman's gourmand.

As far as saying judging a fragrance by one wearing is wrong.. I disagree. For me, and many others too, we know if we want it based on one wearing. Very little will a fragrance "grow on me" -- don't get me wrong.. it could happen. I usually know if I like something the moment it hits my skin. Examples: Norne, Taste of Fragrance, Esencia (Loewe) and a few other stand out bold ones.

Although, I am not completely writing LIDGE off.. I still have more of a sample to go through.. I think the dry down is actually pretty nice.. but the opening and mid are a bit unbalanced imho. If I like the cocoa note in this, I could find it in a fragrance I like entirely and add that to my wishlist, like DHI.
    This may attribute to my inexperience with fragrances but I rarely have the exact same opinion when comparing my initial wearing of a fragrance to my 5th or 6th time. I've had fragrances go in opposite directions when honing my nose on particular notes.

No offense, but the fact that you smelled a "fart" means you didn't get a proper wearing. And don't give me the whole, "Everybody smells things differently." No, when you make an off-base comment on a fragrance it shows you didn't give a proper assessment to the fragrance.

This may sound like I'm aggressively defending LIDGE but it isn't even my favorite fragrance. I only get aggravated when people make off-base comments like what you made. Maybe you truly did smell a "fart" smell but that doesn't mean it will smell like that during your 2nd or 3rd wearing. If it still smells like that, you either got a bad batch or you need to see a doctor immediately because your olfactory senses are not working properly.

My experience is quite different. There were many times when a fragrance had a negative first impression, but then future wearings made me really enjoy it. It could be due to a variety of reasons, but for me, the biggest is the fact that I usually just sprayed on one location when sampling for the first time, such as on paper or the wrist, as opposed to a full wearing.

When I give it a full wearing, often my opinions would drastically change. Even my enjoyment of a fragrance by full wearings can differ, based on my choice of clothing, the weather, and even my mood.

That's why I would always recommend thoroughly sampling a fragrance and not judging it by just one sampling. I remember when I first sampled Jubilation XXV, I was sorely disappointed. But then when I wore it to work, I was amazed by how good it was and ended up getting in on a split.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    My experience is quite different. There were many times when a fragrance had a negative first impression, but then future wearings made me really enjoy it. It could be due to a variety of reasons, but for me, the biggest is the fact that I usually just sprayed on one location when sampling for the first time, such as on paper or the wrist, as opposed to a full wearing.

When I give it a full wearing, often my opinions would drastically change. Even my enjoyment of a fragrance by full wearings can differ, based on my choice of clothing, the weather, and even my mood.

That's why I would always recommend thoroughly sampling a fragrance and not judging it by just one sampling. I remember when I first sampled Jubilation XXV, I was sorely disappointed. But then when I wore it to work, I was amazed by how good it was and ended up getting in on a split.
    Same here. Some of my favorite fragrances I really didn't like at all the first time I wore them. My current favorite took about 3-4 full wearings to even begin to get, as I didn't even really like it the first time.

There are a few that I instantly know I won't like though, as they're not my "style" per say, and I can tell from the get go.

To my taste LIDGE kicks DHI ass thousand different times. But I prefer DH to DHI (at least vintage formulation, that I own), so this is not a fair dispute, concerning my preferences.

I get citrus and cocoa mainly from LIDGE, nothing odd smelling to my nose. DHI is good too but I don't get a resemblance to LIDGE. They are quite distinct but similarly overhyped.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    Ok, so the sample that the OP is smelling came from me, and I can assure you I did not fart in it before I sent it to him, LOL. But I also agree to some degree that this frag is a bit over rated. It seems that a lot of frags that are hard to come by are way over rated here on BN. If LIDG lasted and projected as long as the EDP but still smelled the same I would own three of four bottles of it. I own the EDP in case it gets completely discontinued and cant be found anywhere and the price skyrockets. Then Ill sell it for a considerable profit and buy something I really like. Sorry youre not a fan Jeff, I hoped you would like it!
    I am very grateful for your generosity. A lot of fragrances that are hyped up and put of this fragrance god pedestal, will get this reaction from me.

I take back farts though.. let's say Dorito's. I have noticed this in a number of fragrances when pairing cocoa with citrus, it turns out this way.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

If Carlsberg made farts...

LIDGE and DHI are such beautiful compositions in their own right. Totally different in my opinion.

Having said that, there is also this air of mystery that surrounds both because you can't just walk in to a shop and purchase them (for the most part, definitely in the USA).

I would not pay above retail for either. I just won't do it. I refuse to do it for anything. Even if I love it.

If retail for either was $150 I would pay it though because they're worth it.

But price gouging is something I won't condone!

.. but there's like this nasty overlay on top of it. It almost smells like somebody farted on it. Is it just me?
    I haven’t tried LIDGE, but was taken aback by the rancid, almost fecal, chocolate that wafted out of L’Instant when I tried that. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Its anise note could be really over-powering. So, go easy on the trigger/application with LIDGE. I didn't like it at all the first couple of times I tested it on my skin. But, then I fell in love with it once I gave it a full wearing.
    This matches my experience exactly. My skin exaggerates anise notes a bit,which is great in anise centered fragrances like Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, but sadly it adds a harshness to LIDGE which detracts from the awesome cacao at its heart. Not a lot though, it is still a rich, warm, beautiful fragrance. I just find that DHI works far better for me, plus I love, I mean I friggin loventhe iris note. It is simply exquisite.

I like LIDGE but prefer DHI.

LIDGE Is more masculine...if that matters to anyone.

I bought into the hype here on BN, did not "wow" me as much as I thought it would. It's not bad, but I wouldn't feel bad without it. I like the original as opposed to the extreme though.

I had the luck to grab just one bottle left behind by chance!!!
    Really happy with it, but prefer DHI.