Code of Conduct

Default Finally tried LIDGE..

Well.. it's on my skin now. Maybe it's too early to pass judgement. Started off pretty bad, couldn't quite pinpoint exactly what it smelled like, a mix of citruses and resins. Now that its mellowed out (been on skin for about 10 mins) it smells like Dior Homme Intense, with a ginger note, not ginger, think more gingerbread.. but there's like this nasty overlay on top of it. It almost smells like somebody farted on it. Is it just me?

10 mins in, Dior Homme Intense has been farted on, or really bad breath..
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Default Re: Finally tried LIDGE..

I think it might just be you. However perceptions are quite diverse.
    Last edited by hednic; 1st February 2013 at 06:50 PM.

Trying to decide now if owning both LIDGE and DHI is worth it. I can't sample LIDGE before buying.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I didn't get farts. I did get a headache inducing, feminine scent on my skin. I always preface though that I'm not blaming the scent for being feminine as much as many fragrances like this come off as very "perfumey" or as an older woman perfume when on my skin. Something I'd imagine a woman wearing in the 70s or something.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sorry to hear that. So far, do you feel LIDGE is overated?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    Trying to decide now if owning both LIDGE and DHI is worth it. I can't sample LIDGE before buying.
    This is the exact same situation I'm in... as the seasons change and the weather gets warmer, I'm feeling less and less compelled to purchase LIDGE especially as its price inflates! (Has anyone seen whats happened to M7 recently?!)

More insight on the differences between LIDGE and DHI would be much appreciated!

Funny you mentioned that. I got that old woman vibe also. I like the edt better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I didn't get farts. I did get a headache inducing, feminine scent on my skin. I always preface though that I'm not blaming the scent for being feminine as much as many fragrances like this come off as very "perfumey" or as an older woman perfume when on my skin. Something I'd imagine a woman wearing in the 70s or something.

Its anise note could be really over-powering. So, go easy on the trigger/application with LIDGE. I didn't like it at all the first couple of times I tested it on my skin. But, then I fell in love with it once I gave it a full wearing.

I think LIDGE is very over-hyped here. However, I don't get any fart scent in it. lol.

I own both, and don't consider them similar (maybe they share a few notes and whatnot but smell quite different). I do find LIDGE to be a little overhyped here though. It's good, but not the end all that its presented as sometimes IMHO.

LIDGE takes a bit of getting used to and I didn't start liking it until the 3rd or 4th day of wearing it. It's the anise and patchouli combination mixed in with the cocoa and vanilla. In the end I sold my bottle because I like the anise and patchouli combo in Rive Gauche better. I find LIDGE has little in common with DHI.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I own both, and don't consider them similar (maybe they share a few notes and whatnot but smell quite different). I do find LIDGE to be a little overhyped here though. It's good, but not the end all that its presented as sometimes IMHO.
    Would you consider DHI the clear winner?

I'm speaking in terms of the situation you would wear it in of course. I don't want too many feminine like scents. DHI I can tolerate because it's so pleasant to my nose.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I'm speaking in terms of the situation you would wear it in of course. I don't want too many feminine like scents. DHI I can tolerate because it's so pleasant to my nose.
    LIDGE and DHI are very different. They both have a cocoa dry down but they are quite different. LIDGE is not a feminine scent at all, while some think DHI is because of the lipstick (Iris) note. LIDGE is MUCH easier to wear than DHI for most situations. I think it's more of a classy, gentlemanly scent.

Since you like the gourmands, I think it's a pretty safe bet you would like LIDGE.

I would not buy anything blindly, however. Go to surrendertochance.com and get yourself a sample! It's just 6 bucks, plus $3 for shipping. Sample some others while you're there. It's a great service. Yes, it's expensive, but better than wasting money on an entire bottle.

http://surrendertochance.com/guerlai...homme-extreme/
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 1st February 2013 at 07:56 PM.

It has gotten better as its dried down.. but still.. meh. There really isn't anything "intense" about it, except for the overdose of patchouli I am getting now.. and I am not much a patchouli fan. Patchouli to me, has often smelled like cocoa.. I do get the cocoa too, but mostly patchouli. Doesn't project very well, but I can tell it's gonna last a long time.

Maybe that "fart" smell I was getting, is just the citrus clashing with the cocoa and patchouli. I have not read the notes on this one, but I reckon it being labeled as a citrus/chocolate fragrance. With that said.. I definitley get citrus meeting cocoa, but I don't really care for it, not to say it's bad.. it's just a bit unorthodox. I've seen this compared to Play Intense before, I think Play Intesne does a much better job pairing citrus with cocoa.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. So far, do you feel LIDGE is overated?
    Definitely overrated. DHI is much better imo.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

LIDGE is disappointing considering the hype but DHI is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    LIDGE is disappointing considering the hype but DHI worth it.
    I agree with you 100%.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Love this fragrance from start to finish and a scent that fits me like a velvet glove. Imo this tops even the vintage DHI for the vanille & Cocoa combo which is rich and most satisfying. With the vintage DHI this combo thins out over the long haul and just does not match the quality of Guerlains fine offering.

I think the name Guerlain gives this fragrance more credibility than it deserves.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I think the name Guerlain gives this fragrance more credibility than it deserves.
    Wow, that is deep. I have always regarded LIDGE to be one of Guerlain's masterpieces. But as I always say, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I suppose it depends. They work better for different situations IMO. LIDGE seems to go over better with a bit more "mature" women (think like late 30's early 40's), while DHI smells a bit younger. Don't get me wrong, the Guerlain doesn't smell dated, but it does have sort of a waxy quality that people in my age group (mid to late 20's) might not appreciate as much as DHI.

I would say the Guerlain is a bit more formal and the DHI is more fun. But that's just to me. Even though I have both, I really don't wear either all that often, but do enjoy them when I do. It would be hard to pick one as I enjoy different aspects of each.

Neither I would consider a personal favorite though, compared to many of my other bottles. If forced to pick a "winner" of the two, I'd probably take DHI, but like I said, they each serve a different purpose, so I'd probably select the Dior based on its versatility and my age.

I don't find LIDGE feminine though.
    Last edited by Partario; 1st February 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Never thought I'd say this buy I agree with you on Extreme. The non extreme version is actually pretty good juice and I've come to like this one better.

Basenotes Plus

Let me just get this off my chest: If you judge a fragrance by one wearing, you're doing it wrong.

But I've liked L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme since my first wearing so I can't really say I'm in the same situation as you are. I think the top smells like bug spray though, very harsh. I know I shouldn't make such a bold statement, but there must be batch variations because LIDGE'S drydown is unreal. The projection and longevity for me is amazing as well. I do not like the original version.

Over hyped IMO, had it-sold it. Nothing special for me

I like the original better. It's a more bright and lively scent.

I havent had any negative thoughts about it. The first couple of wearings, I thought it was ok. I do get a perfumey vibe from it like some have mentioned. But the last couple of times I have worn it, I have really liked it. However, I don't need a bottle, my decanted sample will be fine.

btw I dislike DHI. Can't stand the make up smell
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

LIDGE just came in today. So, I have LIDG, LIDGE, DH, and DHI, in whatever formulations.

To me, LIDGE smells A LOT like LIDG; perhaps a little 'deeper' and some (more?) chocolate-y-ness more-so apparent later on?

I don't understand the comparisons to dior homme intense. They don't smell similar at all. They might share cocoa, but it's very sweet in DHI, and bitter in LIDGE.

The similarity ends there for me. LIDGE is so much more masculine to me.

Ah yes the wonder that is our friend, flatulent LIDGE! Seriously, for me the first 20 minutes or so is the best part. Then it's nothing I can't get from some company that sells gourmand fragrance oils (for a lot less). Now others who like this sort of thing might be able to detect differences that are important to them, but I can't remember the last time I wore a scent with that much of a gourmand element, other than to sample it on my ankle because I didn't want to get nauseated over time.

I had owned LIDGE twice prior and I think it is incredibly over hyped. I know that I am in the minority here but I actually enjoy LIDG more than I did LIDGE. There was far to much patchouli in LIDGE for my liking. I find DHI to be a far superior scent.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Ok, so the sample that the OP is smelling came from me, and I can assure you I did not fart in it before I sent it to him, LOL. But I also agree to some degree that this frag is a bit over rated. It seems that a lot of frags that are hard to come by are way over rated here on BN. If LIDG lasted and projected as long as the EDP but still smelled the same I would own three of four bottles of it. I own the EDP in case it gets completely discontinued and cant be found anywhere and the price skyrockets. Then Ill sell it for a considerable profit and buy something I really like. Sorry youre not a fan Jeff, I hoped you would like it!

It is no doubt highly over rated but still I find it much better than DHI, which is again very over rated.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

It's extremely overrated. The EDT has much better projection and longevity,
    and is a much better scent overall, IMO.

So it sounds like LIDGE is odd smelling and Dior smells good, but it isn't preferred....

Guess I'll just have to sample.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    LIDGE and DHI are very different. They both have a cocoa dry down but they are quite different. LIDGE is not a feminine scent at all, while some think DHI is because of the lipstick (Iris) note. LIDGE is MUCH easier to wear than DHI for most situations. I think it's more of a classy, gentlemanly scent.

Since you like the gourmands, I think it's a pretty safe bet you would like LIDGE.
    This x 100. Both are MUST HAVES for gourmand lovers.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Let me just get this off my chest: If you judge a fragrance by one wearing, you're doing it wrong.
    Oh, I didn't realise there was an official way of testing fragrances that everyone has to abide by. If you could send me this rule book I'd be most grateful.

I guess I will have to try LIDG next.

Also, I don't get the feminine lipstick accord from DHI, but that's another story. I consider DHI to be the gentleman's gourmand.

As far as saying judging a fragrance by one wearing is wrong.. I disagree. For me, and many others too, we know if we want it based on one wearing. Very little will a fragrance "grow on me" -- don't get me wrong.. it could happen. I usually know if I like something the moment it hits my skin. Examples: Norne, Taste of Fragrance, Esencia (Loewe) and a few other stand out bold ones.

Although, I am not completely writing LIDGE off.. I still have more of a sample to go through.. I think the dry down is actually pretty nice.. but the opening and mid are a bit unbalanced imho. If I like the cocoa note in this, I could find it in a fragrance I like entirely and add that to my wishlist, like DHI.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Plus

I guess I will have to try LIDG next.

Also, I don't get the feminine lipstick accord from DHI, but that's another story. I consider DHI to be the gentleman's gourmand.

As far as saying judging a fragrance by one wearing is wrong.. I disagree. For me, and many others too, we know if we want it based on one wearing. Very little will a fragrance "grow on me" -- don't get me wrong.. it could happen. I usually know if I like something the moment it hits my skin. Examples: Norne, Taste of Fragrance, Esencia (Loewe) and a few other stand out bold ones.

Although, I am not completely writing LIDGE off.. I still have more of a sample to go through.. I think the dry down is actually pretty nice.. but the opening and mid are a bit unbalanced imho. If I like the cocoa note in this, I could find it in a fragrance I like entirely and add that to my wishlist, like DHI.
    This may attribute to my inexperience with fragrances but I rarely have the exact same opinion when comparing my initial wearing of a fragrance to my 5th or 6th time. I've had fragrances go in opposite directions when honing my nose on particular notes.

No offense, but the fact that you smelled a "fart" means you didn't get a proper wearing. And don't give me the whole, "Everybody smells things differently." No, when you make an off-base comment on a fragrance it shows you didn't give a proper assessment to the fragrance.

This may sound like I'm aggressively defending LIDGE but it isn't even my favorite fragrance. I only get aggravated when people make off-base comments like what you made. Maybe you truly did smell a "fart" smell but that doesn't mean it will smell like that during your 2nd or 3rd wearing. If it still smells like that, you either got a bad batch or you need to see a doctor immediately because your olfactory senses are not working properly.

My experience is quite different. There were many times when a fragrance had a negative first impression, but then future wearings made me really enjoy it. It could be due to a variety of reasons, but for me, the biggest is the fact that I usually just sprayed on one location when sampling for the first time, such as on paper or the wrist, as opposed to a full wearing.

When I give it a full wearing, often my opinions would drastically change. Even my enjoyment of a fragrance by full wearings can differ, based on my choice of clothing, the weather, and even my mood.

That's why I would always recommend thoroughly sampling a fragrance and not judging it by just one sampling. I remember when I first sampled Jubilation XXV, I was sorely disappointed. But then when I wore it to work, I was amazed by how good it was and ended up getting in on a split.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    My experience is quite different. There were many times when a fragrance had a negative first impression, but then future wearings made me really enjoy it. It could be due to a variety of reasons, but for me, the biggest is the fact that I usually just sprayed on one location when sampling for the first time, such as on paper or the wrist, as opposed to a full wearing.

When I give it a full wearing, often my opinions would drastically change. Even my enjoyment of a fragrance by full wearings can differ, based on my choice of clothing, the weather, and even my mood.

That's why I would always recommend thoroughly sampling a fragrance and not judging it by just one sampling. I remember when I first sampled Jubilation XXV, I was sorely disappointed. But then when I wore it to work, I was amazed by how good it was and ended up getting in on a split.
    Same here. Some of my favorite fragrances I really didn't like at all the first time I wore them. My current favorite took about 3-4 full wearings to even begin to get, as I didn't even really like it the first time.

There are a few that I instantly know I won't like though, as they're not my "style" per say, and I can tell from the get go.

To my taste LIDGE kicks DHI ass thousand different times. But I prefer DH to DHI (at least vintage formulation, that I own), so this is not a fair dispute, concerning my preferences.

I get citrus and cocoa mainly from LIDGE, nothing odd smelling to my nose. DHI is good too but I don't get a resemblance to LIDGE. They are quite distinct but similarly overhyped.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    Ok, so the sample that the OP is smelling came from me, and I can assure you I did not fart in it before I sent it to him, LOL. But I also agree to some degree that this frag is a bit over rated. It seems that a lot of frags that are hard to come by are way over rated here on BN. If LIDG lasted and projected as long as the EDP but still smelled the same I would own three of four bottles of it. I own the EDP in case it gets completely discontinued and cant be found anywhere and the price skyrockets. Then Ill sell it for a considerable profit and buy something I really like. Sorry youre not a fan Jeff, I hoped you would like it!
    I am very grateful for your generosity. A lot of fragrances that are hyped up and put of this fragrance god pedestal, will get this reaction from me.

I take back farts though.. let's say Dorito's. I have noticed this in a number of fragrances when pairing cocoa with citrus, it turns out this way.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

If Carlsberg made farts...

LIDGE and DHI are such beautiful compositions in their own right. Totally different in my opinion.

Having said that, there is also this air of mystery that surrounds both because you can't just walk in to a shop and purchase them (for the most part, definitely in the USA).

I would not pay above retail for either. I just won't do it. I refuse to do it for anything. Even if I love it.

If retail for either was $150 I would pay it though because they're worth it.

But price gouging is something I won't condone!

.. but there's like this nasty overlay on top of it. It almost smells like somebody farted on it. Is it just me?
    I haven’t tried LIDGE, but was taken aback by the rancid, almost fecal, chocolate that wafted out of L’Instant when I tried that. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Its anise note could be really over-powering. So, go easy on the trigger/application with LIDGE. I didn't like it at all the first couple of times I tested it on my skin. But, then I fell in love with it once I gave it a full wearing.
    This matches my experience exactly. My skin exaggerates anise notes a bit,which is great in anise centered fragrances like Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, but sadly it adds a harshness to LIDGE which detracts from the awesome cacao at its heart. Not a lot though, it is still a rich, warm, beautiful fragrance. I just find that DHI works far better for me, plus I love, I mean I friggin loventhe iris note. It is simply exquisite.

I like LIDGE but prefer DHI.

LIDGE Is more masculine...if that matters to anyone.

I bought into the hype here on BN, did not "wow" me as much as I thought it would. It's not bad, but I wouldn't feel bad without it. I like the original as opposed to the extreme though.

I had the luck to grab just one bottle left behind by chance!!!
    Really happy with it, but prefer DHI.