Code of Conduct

Default First Impression(s)-Invasion Barbare

I'm not sure there is a demand for first impressions of Invasion Barbare, since it's a pretty hyped, and equally expensive fragrance. Nonetheless, I offer you my first impressions. I've sprayed this on about 30 minutes ago and let it settle (I added my 12mL sample to an atomizer), so this is very initial impressions:

Upon application (if I may steal from Dollars&Scents), the first thing I get is a tea note, which is not listed in the note breakdown. I think it may be the cardamom, but it is not a "kitchen spice" smell like some often identify with cardamom. It is backed by some sparking citrus, mostly bergamot (lemony) with some grapefruit that I only barely smell when thinking about it hard, so I don't think you would smell it idlely.

Some florals open up pretty quickly, which consists of mainly lavender that is very prominent, but also soft enough to interplay well with the citrus/cardamom combo. I get a little bit of ginger in there, which adds a nice depth and compliment to the citrus especially.

That's all I can detect immediately. Naturally the fragrance will develop over time and perhaps I'll get some of the vanilla in the dry down.

As for initial impressions, I really like it so far. It's sophisticated in a way I've never smelled (being relatively new to the hobby), and the lavender blends so perfectly with the citrus notes on the top, which offers a very unique take on classic perfumery. I think the cardamom will take some time to understand, since it is a little strange to smell on skin, but it's not really a bad thing.

It's going to take some time to truly appreciate, and I'm not one to jump to any conclusions, so you're not going to read anything like "this is definitely full bottle worthy" or "this is a masterpiece" outside of those two instances. So far though, it's giving off a great first impression.

What do you think of Invasion Barbare?
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 1st February 2013 at 09:44 PM.

Default Re: First Impression(s)-Invasion Barbare

A very nice fragrance.

A good complex fragrance with a nice violet note weaving in and out of the composition. Though I find HdP's 1725 to be a inexpensive good alternative as they share the same vibe scent wise.

Guerlainista

I thought it was a bit strange. It a weird fougere-ish sort of thing that seems a bit jumbled. I didn't find that it blended together very seamlessly - notes were sort of sticking out at various times, calling attention to themselves. I found myself more trying to figure it out than enjoying it.

It also seemed a bit weak and didn't last long on me. By comparison, Sartorial is another weird fougere, but one that has a much smoother feeling. A fougere with a slick metallic sheen. It's also "performs" better.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed by IB when trying it after all the positive comments I'd read. I didn't find it all that special, and I think it's far too expensive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I love everything about IB except the price. It last a solid 8 hours on my skin and as of right now it is my all time favorite scent.

Ordered a sample a few days ago. We'll see!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Upon application (if I may steal from Dollars&Scents), the first thing I get is a tea note, which is not listed in the note breakdown. I think it may be the cardamom, but it is not a "kitchen spice" smell like some often identify with cardamom. It is backed by some sparking citrus, mostly bergamot (lemony) with some grapefruit that I only barely smell when thinking about it hard, so I don't think you would smell it idlely.
    Don't mistake bergamot for tea, even though it's found in Earl Grey. Very different scent character.

As for initial impressions, I really like it so far. It's sophisticated in a way I've never smelled (being relatively new to the hobby), and the lavender blends so perfectly with the citrus notes on the top, which offers a very unique take on perfumery.
    I don't find lavender and citrus unique in the slightest . . . it's been done for at least 150 years. IB's is of unusually high quality though.

What do you think of Invasion Barbare?
    Extremely high quality ingredients, lovely composition. I think the cedar (and possibly a parchingly dry synthetic like adoxal?) cut the sweetness of the vanilla drydown so it stays nice and dry. Impeccable balance.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Don't mistake bergamot for tea, even though it's found in Earl Grey. Very different scent character.

I don't find lavender and citrus unique in the slightest . . . it's been done for at least 150 years. IB's is of unusually high quality though.

Extremely high quality ingredients, lovely composition. I think the cedar (and possibly a parchingly dry synthetic like adoxal?) cut the sweetness of the vanilla drydown so it stays nice and dry. Impeccable balance.
    I don't think it is unique as in never done before, I think it is a unique take on something so simple and old (I had that in the initial review, but cut it out since it sounded awkward..I'll add it back by saying "classic perfumery"). And, regardless of whether it isn't actually tea, it still smells like it. I've smelled pure bergamot, and it doesn't smell like tea to my nose.

It's the best fragrance I own or have tried (by far). It has surprisingly strong sillage and longevity, and just wait until the dry down when the slightly animalic musk kicks in to blend with the vanilla and woods...it's spectacular. It's also one of those that gets better the more you wear it.

I predict you'll own a bottle by the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's the best fragrance I own or have tried (by far). It has surprisingly strong sillage and longevity, and just wait until the dry down when the slightly animalic musk kicks in to blend with the vanilla and woods...it's spectacular. It's also one of those that gets better the more you wear it.

I predict you'll own a bottle by the end of the month.
    Lol. I actually already have 24mL of it to go through first, so probably not a month :P. Still, it is getting better and better the more it settles down. The lavender quiets down a bit which is interesting.

I wasn't impressed as much as I thought I would be. Very good longevity and sillage though. I'll have to try it again before I flat out say I didn't like it, but I didn't find it as engaging as I had hoped.

I had tried 1725 before this one, and like Jack Hunter said, the two share something in their overall feel, and the whole time I tried IB, I kept feeling that I'd smelled this done (several times) before. Good quality, well blended, pleasant smelling, but I felt it was a tad too uninspired to warrant the fortune they're asking for it (bust cap or not), as inoffensive and "pleasant" as it is.

Like other fragrances I've smelled in the past though, I suppose there's a chance I'll come back to it in the future and find my opinion has changed.

Sound Scents

It never quite clicked with me, but I can appreciate the quality behind it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It's nice but not worth its price tag, IMO. I'd rather go with the way cheaper Rive Gauche.

Dependent

And, regardless of whether it isn't actually tea, it still smells like it. I've smelled pure bergamot, and it doesn't smell like tea to my nose.
    Perhaps it's the violet leaf then.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I wasn't impressed as much as I thought I would be. Very good longevity and sillage though. I'll have to try it again before I flat out say I didn't like it, but I didn't find it as engaging as I had hoped.

I had tried 1725 before this one, and like Jack Hunter said, the two share something in their overall feel, and the whole time I tried IB, I kept feeling that I'd smelled this done (several times) before. Good quality, well blended, pleasant smelling, but I felt it was a tad too uninspired to warrant the fortune they're asking for it (bust cap or not), as inoffensive and "pleasant" as it is.
    Yes I agree this one is "pleasant" and not super unique. The character of it certainly doesn't fit the bold name.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    It's nice but not worth its price tag, IMO. I'd rather go with the way cheaper Rive Gauche.
    I don't get a relation between IB and RGpH at all. I find RG very crude and much, much sweeter. (Nobody else finds RG sweet so I'm thinking it might be rectified birch tar, which often comes off as sweet wintergreen to my nose, or something.)

Does Invasion Barbare smell similar to RG PH and/or Azzaro PH?

RG PH doesn't really seem like the kind of frag I'm into.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post

RG PH doesn't really seem like the kind of frag I'm into.
    Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Not at all.
    Well that's positive info from you, . I'm not really into the RG PH smell. Not my style atm?

I think it's a pretty great scent, but I wouldn't pay it's asking price. Every time I've used it, I think to myself "this smells exactly like something else". I can't remember what though lol.

Not even a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I think it's a pretty great scent, but I wouldn't pay it's asking price. Every time I've used it, I think to myself "this smells exactly like something else". I can't remember what though lol.
    And that's what I think the downfall of this one is. I had the same problem when I smelled it. I just kept thinking I'd smelled it before... a few times.

Dependent

I think RGpH and Azzaro are a bit similar, yeah. Neither is much like IB.

It's nice to read someone else's first impressions of Invasion Barbare.

It's a fragrance that haunts me. It is my "holy grail" yet I have such
    a hard time justifying owning a 60ml bottle that costs $250+

It's the only fragrance I've ever tried or owned that merits a 10/10 rating.

Perfect longevity, projection, sillage. Perfectly blended and balanced.
    Perfect for any occasion, but...so expensive.

(And as I type this, I am already thinking about selling off several bottles
    so that I can buy a bottle of Invasion Barbare again)

I think it is definitely quality juice but I can't justify the price tag, at least not now.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

The way to go is to get the sample pack. The $112 you spend gets you 24ml of invasion and 3 more 12ml samples, and it is completely refunded when you purchase a bottle. So, effectively, you get 120 ml of fragrance for the $250 price tag of a non bust bottle.

Dependent

The way to go is to get the sample pack. The $112 you spend gets you 24ml of invasion and 3 more 12ml samples, and it is completely refunded when you purchase a bottle. So, effectively, you get 120 ml of fragrance for the $250 price tag of a non bust bottle.
    Thank you for that.

Thank you for that.
    No worries. It seems a lot of people don't know, and Claude (the owner of the company) is a really nice guy and deals with everything personally, and will make special requests or suggestions if you want them.

A really nice scent, but IMO not worth it at that price point.

There are definitely strategies for acquiring IB below the sticker price, and they all involve the generous MDCI sample program.

I have mentioned this before, but I built a 50ml stash for less than half the cost of retail by targeting unwanted 10ml sample bottles that were sold off by folks (mostly women) who included IB in their sample pack.

So IB aficionados, don't lose hope! It really is worth it.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Quality that leaves no doubt, but just didn't click with me in two different samples. I couldn't wrap my nose around it. Maybe it is just so different than anything else I wear, it makes me uneasy with it.

I don't get a relation between IB and RGpH at all. I find RG very crude and much, much sweeter. (Nobody else finds RG sweet so I'm thinking it might be rectified birch tar, which often comes off as sweet wintergreen to my nose, or something.)
    I get the same barbershop vibe from Rive gauche in Invasion Barbare.

Meh... it's only ok IMO. I agree with most of the comments made by folks who don't love it.

Upon application (if I may steal from Dollars&Scents),
    Loved this part!
    D&S should trademark "Upon application, one is treated to.."

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If you love it, then it's worth every penny. Buying it at much lower price points tells more about the buyer than it does the fragrance.

I love this stuff.
    If I have the money for it, I will buy the refill without the bust.
    I don't get much similarities with Rive Gauche. IB is fresher and more vibrant.
    Somehow, I can imagine this to be a huge compliment getter.

10/10 for me. The best of anything always has a high price tag although I would add that in most/all purchases mid-level options often offer the best value for money in terms of giving you enough of what you would like from a purchase (as in best compromise).

Basenotes Member

I just sampled this today and honestly the first thing I'm reminded of is Rive Gauche. I get the RG vibe with citrus.

This frag is pretty good. Got the sample a few days ago. A classy light citrus oriental type scent with some floral notes in there. I personally think it's overhyped and priced. But, this is nose candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Ordered a sample a few days ago. We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner3029 View Post
    I just sampled this today and honestly the first thing I'm reminded of is Rive Gauche. I get the RG vibe with citrus.
    :/.. I'd rather it not smell like/resemble/be close to RGPH..

Dependent

:/.. I'd rather it not smell like/resemble/be close to RGPH..
    I must say, I find RGpH very unpleasant.

IB otoh smells excellent. I'm arranging for a swap for a small decant at the moment.

I simply don't find them similar at all.

I must say, I find RGpH very unpleasant.

IB otoh smells excellent. I'm arranging for a swap for a small decant at the moment.

I simply don't find them similar at all.
    I think by its nature, IB is one of those scents that reminds you of many things, but clearly resembles none of them. It's got that old school fougre thing going on, but for me it's not an exact replica of anything. And, in my mind, the quality is simply unmatched. Hype or no hype, it's worth everyone checking out at least once.

I love this. It's very comforting. I find no similarities to RG.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?