Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Diesel Fuel For Life?

I absolutely love it and wear it anytime and anywhere.
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

Blog Entries

I wanted this so bad before I had it, now that I own it (and have owned it for 6 years) I never wear it. It's just too loud for me. Last time I wore it was probably 2 years ago.. I may have worn it in the house though. My bottle is the older style cap too, that says Diesel on it, not just the letter D. Not sure if that's another formulation or stronger? Who knows. Regardless, I think it smells great, it does borderline juvenile though, but so does 1 Million and Black XS which I also love.

Basically, like other fruity loud synthetics, 1 Million, Black XS, Joop!, Trump Empire, Blue Jeans, they're nice to have an own, but stuff I rarely gravitate towards.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

I smelled this the first time on a friend of mine. I noticed it immediately and liked it. I asked him what it was and he told me. I bought a bottle.

I rarely use it but I do like the smell. That's why I asked him about it. It's just a pleasing smell to me. Kind of like Curve in that regard. Nothing super expensive, but it smells good and people notice it.

I certainly see nothing not to like about it after giving it a few minutes to dry.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

So after 4 years I still haven't tried this! Re-reading this thread has sparked my interest in it once again.

I've been really good this year and I haven't made a single purchase. A blind buy is in order!

The question is: Denim or regular?

FFL Spirit is my favourite of the bunch...

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    So after 4 years I still haven't tried this! Re-reading this thread has sparked my interest in it once again.

I've been really good this year and I haven't made a single purchase. A blind buy is in order!

I'd say go for the OG first. The note pyramid is spot on and exactly what you get: citruses and anise in the top, slight lavender and a creamy raspberry in the heart, and then a sweet woody drydown that lasts for days.The denim is great and I used it exclusively for years but it's a lot more lavender and doesn't have the amazing woody spicy drydown that the original has. I would honestly say go for the summer edition with the frosted glass bottle as it's my favorite of the bunch (and maybe the best fresh scent I've ever smelled) but it's been discontinued for over 6 years now unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I haven't smelled the Denim. Original for me.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

I have a sample of Fuel For Life. I find it to be weird yet weirdly compelling. It's probably the kind of scent I'd have trouble committing to buying but would wear the heck out of if I owned it. [note to self: wear the sample soon!]

EDIT: Nope. Two years later, I still have a bit of that sample left because I struggle to wear this one. Fuel For Life isn't for me.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 26th August 2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Blog Entries

Buysblind don't forget to message me back about this. I sent you a message in reply to yours, let me know if you still wanna try this.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

So Buysblind, did you ever try this? If so, just wondered what you thought about it.

I wore this today for the first time in a long time and I continue to like it. Cheap? Sure, but so is Curve and people still rave about it. I equate Diesel Fuel for Life along the same lines, except I like the Fuel for Life better.

It's noticeable and is one of those that most people find generally pleasing when they smell it. It doesn't really smell like a typical men's fragrance, but there's something about it that's strangely appealing, especially in warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    So Buysblind, did you ever try this? If so, just wondered what you thought about it.

I wore this today for the first time in a long time and I continue to like it. Cheap? Sure, but so is Curve and people still rave about it. I equate Diesel Fuel for Life along the same lines, except I like the Fuel for Life better.

It's noticeable and is one of those that most people find generally pleasing when they smell it. It doesn't really smell like a typical men's fragrance, but there's something about it that's strangely appealing, especially in warmer weather.
    Agreed, it's one that's stood the test of time for me as well. In my eyes it's a masterpiece and I always look forward to wearing it in the Fall. I think Blindbuys wound up writing a favorable review of it on Fragrantica after all too.

It also has excellent projection and longevity on me.

Same, borderline beastly for me. I don't think it's ever been reformulated.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    FFL Spirit is my favourite of the bunch...
    I actually prefer the original now.

It's easy to make fun of Diesel in their presentation, I don't have an issue with their scents. They do seem a bit dated to me, as in stuck in 90's, early 00's scent sensibilities. Similar issue with Ed Hardy and BKE scents.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I find it to be awful with zero redeeming features.
    Each to his own...

Cool Re: Diesel Fuel For Life?

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    I find it to be awful with zero redeeming features.
    Each to his own...
    haha....yeah. I was trying to be nice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    haha....yeah. I was trying to be nice about it.

I think the opinion of Diesel cologne is worse than my opinion of Diesel clothing. Now that's bad.

It's easy to make fun of Diesel in their presentation, I don't have an issue with their scents. They do seem a bit dated to me, as in stuck in 90's, early 00's scent sensibilities. Similar issue with Ed Hardy and BKE scents.
    Yes, it was released in the mid 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Yes, it was released in the mid 00's.
    RIght. Mid 00's makes more sense. They were ten years late releasing a watered version of a dated scent. lol

RIght. Mid 00's makes more sense. They were ten years late releasing a watered version of a dated scent. lol
    Watered down in what way? It's ridiculously strong, only one spray is needed and even that's almost too strong. Dated in what way? It smells like Skin Bracer and Brut (a traditional *not aromatic* fougere concept) plus frambinone and norlimbanol. Seems pretty novel to me, even if it were released today.

I guess I should say weak. The initial spray is strong, but it goes away quickly, on me anyway.
    But the stuff doesn't smell at all like Brut to me, or Skin Bracer.
    And by dated, I don't mean the scent itself, I mean the image it's trying to represent as represented in their clothing brand and it's peak as a popular brand well over a decade ago.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Watered down in what way? It's ridiculously strong, only one spray is needed and even that's almost too strong. Dated in what way? It smells like Skin Bracer and Brut (a traditional *not aromatic* fougere concept) plus frambinone and norlimbanol. Seems pretty novel to me, even if it were released today.
    I like me a good trainwreck. Now I'm morbidly curious.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Jovan by Jovan

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I like me a good trainwreck. Now I'm morbidly curious.
    Just head on over to Meijer or Kohl's and sample your life away!

I guess I should say weak. The initial spray is strong, but it goes away quickly, on me anyway.
    But the stuff doesn't smell at all like Brut to me, or Skin Bracer.
    And by dated, I don't mean the scent itself, I mean the image it's trying to represent as represented in their clothing brand and it's peak as a popular brand well over a decade ago.
    Doesn't seem like we've much to discuss here then. You've backtracked on your point twice by first saying it's a dated scent, and then by saying the scent itself isn't dated but their image. I wasn't aware there was a specific "Diesel Image" other than the fact that they make jeans, as well as overpriced flashy "fashion runway" gear like every other Euro house in existence. Not defending the Diesel brand here at all because some of their newer releases are indeed trash, but it seems like your perception of FFL is colored by a distaste for a brand image where none actually exists. I'd understand that if you were putting the bottle in your shirt pocket or on a chain or something, but it sits on a dresser after you spray it on and leave your house. Nobody sees the bottle, and it looks rather nice without the brown coat on it.

I'd go back and smell Skin Bracer and FFL side by side. They have the same supersweet coumarin/lavender thing going on. FFL just has a synthetic raspberry and cooling anise that isn't present in Skin Bracer. It also has a bit in common with GIT/Cool Water.

From a personal viewpoint alone-perceived a quite pleasant scent with quite a decent performance, at an affordable price from this one, albeit speaking mostly about past testings of this one so far

Bought this one recently. My wife and I both like it. Simple and fun.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Cool Re: Diesel Fuel For Life?

Doesn't seem like we've much to discuss here then. You've backtracked on your point twice by first saying it's a dated scent, and then by saying the scent itself isn't dated but their image. I wasn't aware there was a specific "Diesel Image" other than the fact that they make jeans, as well as overpriced flashy "fashion runway" gear like every other Euro house in existence. Not defending the Diesel brand here at all because some of their newer releases are indeed trash, but it seems like your perception of FFL is colored by a distaste for a brand image where none actually exists. I'd understand that if you were putting the bottle in your shirt pocket or on a chain or something, but it sits on a dresser after you spray it on and leave your house. Nobody sees the bottle, and it looks rather nice without the brown coat on it.

I'd go back and smell Skin Bracer and FFL side by side. They have the same supersweet coumarin/lavender thing going on. FFL just has a synthetic raspberry and cooling anise that isn't present in Skin Bracer. It also has a bit in common with GIT/Cool Water.
    I'm not backtracking. I'm elaborating.
    Tried it today actually, for the millionth time, maybe the one thousandth time, oh crap I'm backtracking again!! Because I had to return some things at Meijer and was getting some deodorant, I sprayed it. I don't know how to describe it. But YEAH, it's dated. That's not always a bad thing but after spraying this, I feel like I was raped by Brett Michaels. The lead singer of Whitesnake. No, Poison. DAMN, I'm backtracking again! lol
    Sorry couldn't resist. All in fun. I'm glad you enjoy it.