Code of Conduct

Thread: Black Orchid

Default Black Orchid

What are your thoughts on this one? How easy is this for a man to pull off? Im not the type of person that shy's away from wearing a womens scent (I wear Mitsouko, Cuir de Russie, Cuir de Lancome, TF Urban Musk, etc.) and I hear a lot of women and men saying this is more masculine than feminine, and that it is close to TF extreme. I have found a 100 ml bottle for less than $100.00 and Im thinking about pulling the trigger blind on this. I also love patch frags along with gourmands and it sounds right up my alley.

Default Re: Black Orchid

I personally find it extremely feminine and unpleasant.

The top notes are nice and sweet. I remember amber. It's the dry down that gets too floral for my likes. Nordstrom sells it in men's, so it is unisex, but the floral notes are too much for me. I passed on it.

I think it's a great frag - but much more feminine than masculine. It also has huge sillage and projection, so you won't go unnoticed if you wear it!

And it is nothing like TF extreme imo.

I like it, bought it for my GF and think its not that much harder to wear for men than e.g. Dior Homme Intense. I personaly prefer other my scents over it so I dont feel like I need it but if you like it, wear it.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Sound Scents

I definitely couldn't and wouldn't wear it as I disliked the smell of the stuff immensely, but if one liked the fragrance they should just go for it, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I wouldn't blind buy this one. I had high hopes for it but when I sampled it there was a dark, mushroom, earthy note that I found unpleasant.

Its very different. Bold and dominating.

I used to like it.

Now I find it too synthetic.

for swap/sale:

100% positive feedback from women at work!!! winter and summer! totally kinky!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I finally purchased it. I was pining for it when my spray sample ran out. I don't wear it too much; I don't want to got tired of it too quickly. It's a one spray scent for me, mostly in the warmer months. I like to use it with my Hawaiian shirts.

I bought a 50ml bottle blind several months back - didn't care for it. A little feminine for me, and kind of dark/heavy. Not a good blind - buy for me - one of my few regrets.

I wear Black Orchid all the time and absolutely love it. If you wear Mitsouko you will have no problem pulling this one off. THe best part is that the longevity is amazing! I say go for it, I don't think you will regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I think it's a great frag - but much more feminine than masculine. It also has huge sillage and projection, so you won't go unnoticed if you wear it!

And it is nothing like TF extreme imo.
    If he wears Mitsouko, I don't think he will find it too feminine. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nice frag, but a little too femimine for me. Women like this one though.

I bought it for my wife (along with Black Orchid Voile de Fleur) and we just love them both.
    I wear them occasionally and we like them so much we bought 4 bottles of each for back ups.
    They last all day long and next morning you wake up still faintly smelling them, that should tell you about their longevity.
    Try them first, they are strong and without a doubt, love or hate perfumes, so I would not recommend a blind buy.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

I like it. I don't think it's too feminine.

I don't find it too feminine, but can understand how others might perceive it to be.

If you can pop by Sephora and get a sample prior to buying, I'd recommend it, despite how lovely I think the scent is.

Well, I went ahead and bought it. The vendor only had 2 left and I didnt want to miss out on that price. I guess if I dont like it Ill just sell it, but from what I have read so far it sounds like Ill really like it. The earthy mushroom scent is what really attracts me to it, as well as the dark chocolate and patchouli. I guess we will see. Man I love blind buying stuff!

The 'earthy mushroom' scent is actually the Black Truffle and your description is actually quite original and imaginative - I like!!

Never tried this one, but upon my first extensive testing on this, I will return with further info on possible male wearability.

I like it and wear it occasionally. I don't find it resembles TF Extreme, however.

I don't find it too feminine, but I can't wear it anymore, it grinds on me after a while. My girlfriend LOVES it though so I gave it to her.

Very feminine to me and I'm a guy who wears FlowerBomb, Soliflores, Angel, etc

I used to hate it but retried it recently and found it pretty voluptuous.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Top notes can be a bit loud but all in all not hard to wear as far as I remember it.

It was hate at first sniff. The nauseating "rotting mushrooms" permeated my nostrils. A very polarizing scent to be sure. Nasty stuff.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I stated earlier that I love this one, but forgot to mention that it is a definite try-before-you-buy.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    100% positive feedback from women at work!!! winter and summer! totally kinky!
    Totally agree. The women at my place of work really enjoyed Black Orchid. I personally am not too crazy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    ...there was a dark, mushroom, earthy note that I found unpleasant.
    So did I. But Voile de Fleur is really gorgeous - smells like a cattleya orchid. I couldn't wear it though - gave it to a girlfriend.