Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Today I bought ~ February 2013

Time to confess your most recent purchases!

I have to save my money this month, but I do happen to have a decant of the new Kerosene Unknown Pleasures coming my way.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Default Re: Today I bought ~ February 2013

Alright then...
    Al Oudh and Dzing! it is.

I'm 'fessing up to having acquired:

Vintage Eau Sauvage (can anyone date it ? It's one of those depress-the-spritzer-and-it-keeps-on-spritzing bottles). This used to belong to my grandfather.
    Jicky PdT ebay jackpot. Mint, never sprayed.
    Last edited by gandhajala; 2nd February 2013 at 11:56 AM.

I got Ellen Tracy Bronze, 10 ml bottle.
    9 ml decant of GIT.

Hello! It's been a long time since I bought perfume or posted here, but today I found myself contemplating Un Jardin sur le Nil ... until I noticed that my local Debenhams had been quietly building up its Guerlain stocks. Happy day! It's no longer a choice between Shalimar and Samsara! (Shalimar always wins with me!)

So I blind bought two Aqua Allegorias - Tiare Mimosa and Lys Soleia. I'm so happy!

Elizabeth Arden Suflowers and Zara Fruity, but not for myself, both destined as a surprise for someone who likes them both.

You're sweet, Ken.

Diptyque Eau Duelle. I bought this unsniffed, on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganFay View Post
    Diptyque Eau Duelle. I bought this unsniffed, on sale.
    So did I. My only blind buy and I adore it. My most worn fragrance of this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    So did I. My only blind buy and I adore it. My most worn fragrance of this winter.
    Can't wait to get it!

Diptyque Eau Rose after I fell in love with the sample I got! For a good price from a local seller, no less (:

Dcampbell

Went on a big Creed buy: Royal Oud, GIT, MI, SMW, and OS

I am jealous of all the new Creeds! Today, I am venturing off to a TJMaxx farther from my home in search of Penhaligons.

Andy Tauer Pentachord Auburn.

Lostmarc'h Lann Ael.

Yay for me! *clap clap clap*

I have a few more scents targeted for February. Is buying one a week acceptable?

Basenotes Plus

My first order of samples from Surrender to Chance.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Lann Ael is sooooo comforting, I could wear it forever. Enjoy!

I raided Lush and got Sun, Furze, Vanillary and Karma. The SA threw in a gift of Karma soap too. Lust and Orange Blossom are next on my hit list.

Also found BNIB L'Occitane Eau d'Ambre and matching soap for less than the bottle of sent and free P&P on the Bay. Eau d'Iparie next on my hit list from L'Occitane as they have have the Winter Warmers Shea set for half price if you spend over £30.

Other lemmings are SL Fleurs d'Oranger & Fleurs de Citronier.

So much for my "No Buy" resolution

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Vintage Ma Griffe PDT
    Rare Happening Extreme EDT
    Duende By Jesus Del Pozo EDT
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I bought but may return Nilang from TJMaxx. Will wait to see the BN reviews to see if it is worth opening and trying

Myrrhe et Delires (Guerlain) became a summer favorite for me so I decided to pick up a bottle. A lot of people have criticized it for not being a balsamic Myrrhe bomb - citing PG's Myrrhiade as preferable - and that's all very well but I tend to look what a perfume is, rather than what it isn't. This one has what I perceive as a bright almost ginger opening that works really well in the heat, that then settles into an upbeat hint of myrrh. Altho not dense or powerful, it evolves nicely over time - it has staying power without recourse to nuclear musks etc.

Granville (Dior) has been a favorite since its release (my third bottle - finally found a 250ml) and it has a terrific outdoorsy pine and herbal garrigue character with a sense of the oak moss holding it together - even with the minimal amount currently permitted.

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route de Madagascar (Guerlain) is the limited edition sequel to the 2010 Ode. This is one has a denser vanilla, almost smoky, and hearkens back to earlier incarnations of Shalimar. That said, I prefer the 2010 for some reason - the space Wasser created to feature the two vanillas in the first one was just plain gallery worthy.

Ubar (Amouage). I figured a 50ml would do the trick - I have been circling this one for a couple of years so let's see. It has the potential to join Sous le Vent, Granville, L'Heure Fougueuse as a staple but time will tell. I imagine this is the 'lesser' Ubar since it is a new bottle, but still excellent regardless.

Missed the photo-op but I also received a bottle of Cuir Oranger (Miller Harris) this morning which I am enjoying - it has a familiar lived in feel redolent of other leather / chypre fragrances of a certain era, and the orange rind vibe up-front is great.

Wonderful choices, mr. reasonable! And a great pic to match. The Myrrhe et Delires is one that I keep forgetting to acquire a sample of, but will do now.

I just bought Heeley Iris de Nuit on ebay at £73 instead of the RRP of £120. Says the box is damaged, which I have no problems with.
    DONNA

50ml Voleur de roses in old bottle design and 100ml edp Fraiche Passiflore MPG

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I just bought Heeley Iris de Nuit on ebay at £73 instead of the RRP of £120. Says the box is damaged, which I have no problems with.
    Very nice deal! I'm getting hubby Sel Marin for valentines day, maybe I should prowl ebay!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Balmain de Balmain
    Vintage Worth Pour Homme BNIB
    Vintage Antilope by Weil PDT BNIB
    Vintage and Rare Prince De Galles Gold
    Gianfranco Ferre BNNB
    Vintage Balenciaga Prelude PDT
    Vintage Ma Griffe by Carven PDT
    Duende by Jesus de Pozo
    Vintage and Rare Happening Extreme by Ricciardi of Monte Carlo
    Vintage Quartz by Molyneux
    Azzaro Pour Homme Elixir BNIB
    Last edited by southerngardens; 6th February 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Oooh, nice haul southerngardens!

- - - Updated - - -

I bought something else today, but I'm not posting about it until it arrives. May take a few weeks, it's coming from afar!

You're roping in some good stuff, southerngardens.

I purchased 2 bottles of E. Coudray: Ambre et Vanilla and Vanille et Coco.

I bought La Fille de Berlin and just love it!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

rare vintage 1978 Azzaro eau de toilette
    Attachment 19161
    Last edited by southerngardens; 16th February 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Tonight I happened on an old pharmacy, the kind with long wooden counters and pressed tin ceilings that predate CVS and such. Along one section of wall behind glass shelves were a few dusty gift sets of Stetson, Old Spice, Jovan Musk - and a lone bottle of Caron Bellodgia parfum de toilette. It is perfect and glorious. Can you make out the price?

image.jpg

$18.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Annick Goutal Nuit Etoilée, 100 ml.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

When you receive it, let us know what you think.

Continuing my Chanel collection, I purchased the new 1932. A blind buy, but it is very nice and will be a lovely spring soft floral.

Amazing find!

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Tonight I happened on an old pharmacy, the kind with long wooden counters and pressed tin ceilings that predate CVS and such. Along one section of wall behind glass shelves were a few dusty gift sets of Stetson, Old Spice, Jovan Musk - and a lone bottle of Caron Bellodgia parfum de toilette. It is perfect and glorious. Can you make out the price?

image.jpg

$18.

MorganFay, Congratulations on your new Lutens! I am very excited to sample it soon when it arrives here. Can you share some thoughts about La Fille de Berlin?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, I got a once sprayed Ubar (the older version of the new EdP). I am very excited to have it now. The real deal of Ubar!

Got Chanel Jersey as a present

Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente, 100 ml. Previously, I only had a 15 ml mini.

Now I have three out of four of Les Orientalistes, only missing Ambre Fétiche, which I won't be getting.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Just won Cacharel Gloria on ebay

queen of the universe

Not all today, so I'll just say This Week on eBay: two vintage Carons—Fleurs de Rocaille and Infini, and a Guerlain rarity in the form of a decant of Guet-Apens. I will sniff and tell!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Balmain de Balmain
    Vintage Worth Pour Homme BNIB
    Vintage Antilope by Weil PDT BNIB
    Vintage and Rare Prince De Galles Gold
    Gianfranco Ferre BNNB
    Vintage Balenciaga Prelude PDT
    Vintage Ma Griffe by Carven PDT
    Duende by Jesus de Pozo
    Vintage and Rare Happening Extreme by Ricciardi of Monte Carlo
    Vintage Quartz by Molyneux
    Azzaro Pour Homme Elixir BNIB
    Well played, dude. You'll be smelling so fine!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Escentual.com held a Facebook draw for 75ml of Just Cavalli. Like so many Cavallis it is very well done, this time a white floral. Tiare, tuberose etc. I already own 30mls but I'm happy as a sandboy

Andy Tauer Une Rose Vermeille brings my full bottles up to 25. The other half thinks I should stop now!

I caved and bought a decant of La Fille En Berlin.

30ml EDP and 75ml body lotion set of La petite robe noir for the princely sum of £16. I couldn't pass up the bargain. Im not terribly enamoured with the fragrance, so may give it away. Husband is in raptures about it, so it may stay in my collection, to be liberally applied when I want something from him *giggle*

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    MorganFay, Congratulations on your new Lutens! I am very excited to sample it soon when it arrives here. Can you share some thoughts about La Fille de Berlin?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, I got a once sprayed Ubar (the older version of the new EdP). I am very excited to have it now. The real deal of Ubar!
    Thanks! It is a beautiful understated rose, not too loud or bright, and it becomes slightly powdery and spicy, with a musky base.

Your Ubar sounds wonderful!

Basenotes Plus

MDCI Parfums Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Parfums Invasion Barbare
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Thanks MorganFay for your little 'teaser'! I checked today - it's not in the stores here yet.

Well, I don't blind buy normally but did get Clair De Jasmin by Must. Tried to figure out the notes. Civet? Amber? Sandalwood would be some guesses. Smells very acidic/musky. I get no jasmine. Sweaty, salty, acidic. There are good notes at the top that are similar to Must original but go very fast. Then turns into a sweaty, salty, acidic nothing..Cartier rarely lets me down but this one is nothing special at all. Musky sweat, lol. Why does it smell like sweat? No jasmine, where is it? lol. It's like someone tried to spray a cheapo musky body spray over workout clothes after the gym. Uh oh, and a drop of poop? Haha, back to not blind buying.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Well, I don't blind buy normally but did get Clair De Jasmin by Must. Tried to figure out the notes. Civet? Amber? Sandalwood would be some guesses. Smells very acidic/musky. I get no jasmine. Sweaty, salty, acidic. There are good notes at the top that are similar to Must original but go very fast. Then turns into a sweaty, salty, acidic nothing..Cartier rarely lets me down but this one is nothing special at all. Musky sweat, lol. Why does it smell like sweat? No jasmine, where is it? lol. It's like someone tried to spray a cheapo musky body spray over workout clothes after the gym. Uh oh, and a drop of poop? Haha, back to not blind buying.
    Bummer, Kalli!! I know you love jasmine & hate musk, so this was a double let-down.

Thank you Genie! Lol, could have been worse, there could have been tuberose in there! lol. But even that would add something to the plainness of this scent. I wouldn't wear it still, lol, don't get me wrong..but at least it would add something.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

vintage(1978) Azzaro Eau de Toilette
    Attachment 19209
    Last edited by southerngardens; 16th February 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post

image.jpg

$18.
    !!! I love it when that happens. I've actually slammed on the brakes, when I've been driving in some neighborhood I've never been in, when I see one of these pharmacies. The first thing I do, when I walk in, is head straight for the fragrances and try to see the oldest bottles I can find. LOL
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Pivoine - Yves Rocher -- made my mailbox happy yesterday!

Comme des Garcons Kyoto for Mum (she'll gladly share some with me)

Backup bottle of Prada Amber Pour Homme

Kyoto is heavenly beautiful, I envy your Mum

Blog Entries

Today I bought...

Yahoooooo!

My bottle of first release M Micallef Note Vanillee has arrived, way before I expected (take that UK postal system!)

It's so unbelievably rich. Cognac, rum and vanilla heaven. It's an old bottle (6 years) and even though it was stored in its box, i think the top notes have suffered a bit. But still, it's much richer and dirtier than SDV. I did a blind sniff test, and can definitely tell the difference.

I am so happy to this in my vanilla-centric collection. But what am I supposed to do with the CD that came with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    Yahoooooo!

My bottle of first release M Micallef Note Vanillee has arrived, way before I expected (take that UK postal system!)
    Congratulations!

A few days ago I bought...

What I've Been Wearing:

Thanks L'enfer! I've been searching for this one for ages, and I was delighted to get a full bottle of 75 mls. It's been discontinued for so long.

I must really check out Mitzah, it seems to be highly regarded here.....

No Problem Scentsucker.

Mitzah is very nice, at first I was a little underwhelmed but it get's better as time goes by and it lasts ages. I wouldn't recommend a blind buy but it's definitely one to sniff if you can. However outside of London the whole line is quite hard to find.

L x
    What I've Been Wearing:

A few gift sets, with fragrances and matching cosmetic products by Yves Rocher, oddly not for Valentine's day, but as my way of celebrating - through small tokens of my appreciation for someone very special - on the occasion of the 1st and the 8th of March.

Blog Entries

Today I bought...

Serge Luten Un Lys. Will be wearing it for Valentine's Day as well.