Code of Conduct

Default need help looking for a warm weather cologne.

so, i'll admit, i'm not too knowledgeable as far as what makes a scent good or not, i just know i have a very peculiar nose for what smells good to me. but i'm looking for a (preferably) long-lasting summer scent (it's dry heat here, not humid). the current scent i'm using and have used for a bit is john varvatos - artisan black. really love the scent, but i know it wouldn't work in warm weather. john varvatos - artisan smells great to me as well, but i hear it's got a pretty limited sillage. other scents that i have smelled and enjoyed, to give an idea of what works for me and what doesn't are the following:

prada - amber ph
    kenzo - l'eau par kenzo ph
    mandarina duck - pure black
    hugo boss - boss bottled
    diesel -fuel for life
    jean paul gaultier - le male
    ralph lauren - big pony 4

the problem with where i'm at is that i don't have much access to anything other than common, big brand names for the most part, so if i can smell your suggestions, i'll definitely do that, but i'm kind of relying on the expertise of all you fine people to maybe pick me out something i can't buy locally and order it online. price isn't really an object either, so throw out whatever suggestions you can. thanks a lot.

Default Re: need help looking for a warm weather cologne.

Monsieur Balmain

Overcome By Fumes

Guerlain Vetiver. Or practically any other vetiver for that matter.

Banned
    Blog Entries

when it comes to having a good warm weather fragrance on a budget, Versace Eau Fraiche is one of my favorites for the summer.

Dior Homme Sport.

Welcome!

For warm weather, I really like vetivers, which smell fresh and green. But as usual, you really have to try some first before committing to a purchase. Not too difficult to find, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. More difficult, Encre Noire (though it's not expensive), and $$$, but even better, Chanel Sycomore.

cacio

Banned

oh yes i agree with Cacio...i love Sycomore too!

but i also think scents like Chanel Cologne, or Comme des Garcons 3 and all those fresh light scents are great for the summer heats....its much easier for me to pick good winter scent then the good summer time scent....they must be airy

and nice one is Breath of God, i wore it this summer its masculine though!

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Dior Homme Sport.
    I concur.

thanks for the replies. i'm curious, i know what vetiver is but not exactly what it smells like. which of the scents i listed as ones i liked has the strongest vetiver notes? i know vetiver is supposed to be kind of grassy, which i'm not sure i'd actually enjoy or not. but maybe i do enjoy it and just didn't know.

anyway, out of the suggestions so far, man eau fraiche sounds good (and affordable) and the balmain sounds decent, although not sure about the mint top note. dior homme sport also sounds pretty good. i'll try and track as much of these as i can down and report back.

on a random note, has anyone here tried lalique white? i read that was a good, affordable summer scent. and what about ysl rive gauche?

Creed's Original Vetiver is one of my absolute favorites in warmer weather. The brightness of the citrus comes alive beautifully & the hint of vetiver leaf balanced it out and gives it good longevity for a citrus-based fragrance. It's truly a refreshing and versatile fragrance!

sounds good, but a bit pricey. i'd have to be able to track it down and give it a smell before i'd be willing to commit that sort of money blindly.

Banned
    Blog Entries

ysl libre aramis bermuda tonic geir ness clean shower fresh. all designer and will not break your bank. check em out on ebay, very inexpensive.

i went to my local sephora today, pretty limited selection unfortunately. i smelled versace - man eau fraiche, yves saint laurent - l'homme libre, i also smelled a few others even though they weren't recommended, namely givenchy - play, givenchy - play sport, azzaro - chrome. my rankings are: l'homme libre, man eau fraiche and chrome are kind of a toss-up, play, play sport. i really like l'homme libre, actually. i was hoping to be more impressed by man eau fraiche, but it didn't really knock me off my feet. maybe i didn't give it enough time to settle? but the top notes weren't doing a ton for me. chrome isn't too bad and it's pretty cheap. i might get a small bottle just to have it in my collection.

Dcampbell

Even though they're considered boring and safe check out the Chanel Allures and Bleu

i'll give bleu a try. by the way, would you consider aventus a good warm weather cologne? i know it's pretty pricey, but i might be willing to splurge on it. i might order a sample of it online because clearly i couldn't blind buy something that expensive.

Versace Man Pour Homme, smells good, last OK and projects enough for people to notice, first time I wore it my brother said it's his favourite smell and the best of my collection, wore it to work too and got asked what it was and told 'It smells really nice' also it's very cheap for what it is.

smelled a few more today at macy's. bleu, i was not a fan of. as you say, it's kind of generic smelling. also smelled versace - eros, which i didn't like too much. smelled thierry mugler - mugler cologne, which was too grassy for me. also smelled mont blanc - legend, which wasn't too bad. unfortunately, they didn't have dior homme sport, which i was looking forward to.

i think i might just order samples soon of various colognes because the shop thing isn't really working out so far.