Code of Conduct

Default Is it safe to buy the original YSL Yves Saint Laurent M7 even though it came out almost 12 years ago

CheckCosmetic claims fragrances are only good for 2-3 years.

Chances are the old "original" bottles of M7 on ebay are at least 10 years old.

Your thoughts...

Default Re: Is it safe to buy the original YSL Yves Saint Laurent M7 even though it came out almost 12 years

Yes
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Default Re: Is it safe to buy the original YSL Yves Saint Laurent M7 even though it came out almost 12 years

I had an original bottle for a while, and it was definitely lighter than I was expecting. I suppose it all depends on storage and whatnot, if it's stored in a cool, dark environment for the majority of the time, it should keep reasonably well. The reformulation (when the bottle changed) happened around 2008 IIRC, so those vintage bottles could be anywhere between 5 and 10 years old.

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    I had an original bottle for a while, and it was definitely lighter than I was expecting. I suppose it all depends on storage and whatnot, if it's stored in a cool, dark environment for the majority of the time, it should keep reasonably well. The reformulation (when the bottle changed) happened around 2008 IIRC, so those vintage bottles could be anywhere between 5 and 10 years old.
    How did the bottle change?
    The seller claims "This is the old formula" with only four ingredients:

Alcohol. Aqua (Water). Parfum (Fragrance). Benzophenone-1.

It's not only safe, it's better

Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    How did the bottle change?
    The seller claims "This is the old formula" with only four ingredients:

Alcohol. Aqua (Water). Parfum (Fragrance). Benzophenone-1.
    The later bottles (2008-2010, I could be wrong though) had clear sides, whereas the older bottle was all dark red, no clarity. This is what the reformulation bottle looked like:

Excellent. Thank you.

As long as you keep it in a cool place with not light, it should be ok.

I bought two 200 ml bottles of Eau Sauvage 100% Glacon from 2001 recently, they are at least 11 years old. They still smell great. Twelve years shouldn't be problem if stored under normal conditions.

When a vintage fragrance opens with a nail varnish remover AKA acetone smell it's an indication that it has aged.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

The only bottles of M7 I found were expensive. What's a good price for 100ml?

If stored properly should be good. I have Opium Pour Homme EDT from 2003 and it still smells like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    As long as you keep it in a cool place with not light, it should be ok.
    So long as this has also been the case for the past 12 years as well ;-)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Yes. I purchased 2 bottles of the original, late last year. Everything was in excellent/new condition. No worries.

12 years is nothing for a quality perfume. It should be excellent for at least 40 -50 years if stored properly.

I paid a little over $100 for a vintage one that still had about 95% remaining. Compared to the 1ml I got from either TPC or STC, it's definitely got more of the "incense" scent. The cherry I adore is unfortunately less pronounced.

I paid Ł60 (around $100) for an unopened vintage M7 100ml late last year.
    Alan

Definitely yes.

Basenotes Member

In the vast majority of cases yes.