Code of Conduct

Talking fragrance amateur - looking for 3,4 scents to begin with

Hello,

first of all I'd like to thank you for the interesting information I've already found on this site.

I'm a 24 year old student and currently study and work in Germany. I already blind bought Platinum Egoiste and am currently looking forward to some different mainstream scents (niche seems to be too expensive, unless you say that the quality is extraordinary, then I can probably cough up a little more cash ).

What I still need are:
    - refreshing/energetic scent (probably Dior Homme Sport)
    - subtle scent for work (I work part-time as a programmer at Siemens, no suit required but shirt, v-neck sweater and elegant jeans are suggested; here I thought about Gucci PH2 or Boss Bottled)
    - more powerful party scent, I usually go to rock/house clubs (sadly not many girls listen to ac/dc or gnr these times; here maybe Dior Homme Intense or Terre d'Hermes, many guys my age use YSL Le Male, but I'd like something slightly more original).
    - maybe a 4th scent that is a different type from the rest to slightly round off my little collection Probably one from this list: Azzaro PH, YSL M7/La Nuit, Declaration Cartier, Dior Eau Sauvage, Prada Infusion D'Homme, Lalique Encre Noire, Mugler A*Men, JPG Fleur Du Male, Guerlain L'instant Extreme, Creed GIT/Aventus, L'eau d'Issey Homme, Chanel Egoiste. I hoped to buy some decants on ebay to test those, but apparently they aren't that easy to buy

All in all, I'm rather going for the sublime effect (i.e. let me get closer to this guy to get a second whiff) rather than in-your-face smell emanating through the entire room (Kouros ). I'd also like to avoid buying something for rather older gentlemen, and here I'm hoping for your experience.

Regards,
    sh69

Default Re: fragrance amateur - looking for 3,4 scents to begin with

IMO these four would be a good start:

Dior Homme Sport
    Gucci PH2
    Terre d'Hermes
    Guerlain L'instant Extreme

Agree with those Hednic mentioned. I would like to add Musc Ravaguer (can find decants from crystal flacon or sale thread here at BN). MR is unique and sexy.

Have fun searching.

Welcome!

For refreshing and work, I often like vetivers, which smell green and fresh. Encre Noire, which you mention, would be one example, as is Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

For something special, party etc., an avantgarde house is Comme des Garcons. It is niche, but the prices aren't too high. An example would be the lemony incensy CDG 2 man.

And I second Egoiste for something warm and smooth.

cacio

So many that I like, hard to choose some to start off with.

Gucci Pour Homme 2
    YSL La Nuit
    Burberry London/L'occitane Eau Des Baux

You could probably throw in a good summer scent in there somewhere. I like Creed Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial. Some other recommended ones are Acqua Di Parma Colonia and Mugler Cologne, but I haven't tried them out yet.

Get samples and mini's before spending big money. Most of my bottle purchases have been disappointing, but I've had much more success with samples.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

Overcome By Fumes

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin might fit as a 1 or a 4.

Refreshing/Energetic: You already have a great one listed. Stick with Dior Homme Sport
    Subtle Scent/Work scent: You listed what I was going to suggest, again. Gucci Pour Homme II
    Powerful Party Scent: Maybe try 1 Million (although that may be too sweet for your taste).
    4th scent: From that list. Either Le Male, A*Men, or L'Eau D'Issey (the 2009 summer if you can find it).

Boss Bottled is a great scent, if you don't mind adding a 5th fragrance, toss that one in too.

From the price point take a sniff of YSL Kouros also. People love it or hate it.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Winston Churchill

Thanks for all the responses (especially the tips about CDG and Musc Ravageur). I think I'll go with hednic's suggestion (in the future I'll probably add Encre Noire and La Nuit.):
    Dior Homme Sport
    Gucci PH2
    Terre d'Hermes
    I hate to ask, but have any of the above been reformulated recently so that I'd have to look for specific versions?

- - - Updated - - -

There is Sephora and Douglas to test them in shops, but I only have 2 hands and 1 neck

- - - Updated - - -

There is Sephora and Douglas, but I only can test 2/3 at a time

Overcome By Fumes

None has been reformulated enough to matter significantly for your purposes. I haven't been to Germany in quite some time, but I find it hard to believe there are no perfumeries anywhere to test anything prior to purchase. In any case, enjoy!

It appears that I bought Egoiste and not Platinum Egoiste by mistake. What a nice surprise, I like the scent very much.

I've found different versions of Guerlain on eBay: EDT, EDP and Pour Homme. They also differ slightly in color from yellow-ish to red-ish. Any suggestions which to buy?

I agree with hednic, except Gucci ph2. Sort of a useless fragrance. Don't get me wrong, it's great for a VERY short time, them disappears.

If you have a sephora you can go to, if you're just honest with the sales girl, they'll give you a few nice decants of what you want.

For the 4th scent I'd say that GIT or Azzaro PH are good choices. Obviously Azzaro can be purchased for much cheaper than GIT, but I find that GIT much more of a crowd pleaser (less offensive to those around me) than Azzaro. I love both and think you can't go wrong with either.

As far as Declaration goes, try before you buy because the stuff smells like armpit on me. Yuck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    Declaration smells like armpit. Yuck!!!!
    100%

Banned
    Blog Entries

soft and subtle- declaration and body shop white musk. partying one million and escada magnetism. everyday scent bvlgari pour homme. one for the hell of it anything from mugler's pure line, havane malt and taste of fragrance