Code of Conduct

Default Bois D'argent by Dior

Major disappointment. Another reason why niche or exclusive doesn't necessarily translate to a great scent. I would take DH or DHI over this all the time. I don't even know why I bought this blind

Am I the only one with this sentiment?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bois D'argent by Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    Major disappointment. Another reason why niche or exclusive doesn't necessarily translate to a great scent. I would take DH or DHI over this all the time. I don't even know why I bought this blind

Absolutely not. You are not the only one. When I received my decant of Bois D'Argent I was also very disappointed. It is okay, but nothing to write home about as far as I am concerned. Like you, I prefer both my bottles of DH and especially, DHI over the other one.

Not my type of fragrance, but I can see why some people like it.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 3rd February 2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: marketplace violation

I don't enjoy Bois d'Argent at all, but that's mainly because I'm not a big fan of myrrh. It's too prominent in this for my taste.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

My only complaint would be that it is too light; it seems like you need at least six sprays....otherwise, I think it smells fantastic.
    Interesting side note: Dior's Hypnotic Poison is like an EDP version of Bois D'argent. Both by Annick Menardo, of course.

No, I dislike it. People say etherial, heavenly, powderry but to me the honey in this makes it smell a bit too artsy-niche like, not really something I would wear. Dior Homme and Intense are in a different stratosphere compared to this to me.

Personally I like this one as I do all the others in the exclusive line.

I love this one. The best in the exclusive line IMHO. On my third large bottle. Guess it's just a matter of personal taste.

I sampled it and I didn't see what all of the hype was about.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    I love this one. The best in the exclusive line IMHO. On my third large bottle. Guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
    Yes, agree 100%
    I like it a lot!!

too peppery for me

it was the biggest mistake to buy this scent.
    it's good, well made, but not for me..
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    My only complaint would be that it is too light; it seems like you need at least six sprays....otherwise, I think it smells fantastic.
    Interesting side note: Dior's Hypnotic Poison is like an EDP version of Bois D'argent. Both by Annick Menardo, of course.
    Im actually wearing this today and it is transparent and at first spray I was like WTH is this !!! After about 10 minutes is was vanilla and powder and as it dries the woods and myrrh comes out. It smells great its just too transparent and worth a split but not a huge bottle. Probably better in the Spring and Fall.

Basenotes Institution

I have never owned a bottle of this one, but I have a decant that a BN buddy gave me and I decided to wear it again this afternoon. Gosh, this stuff is awesome. It's a bit imperceptible, as soon as you spray it on - it has that ghostly sort of gauze-like texture to it that smells simultaneously woody, powdery and a bit dusty. Its lack of sweetness keeps this easy to wear on a hot afternoon like today, and yet it's softly tenacious structure ensures that you get complex little whiffs here and there, all of the time you're wearing it.

The other thing I like about it, is it doesn't smell like anything else. It's very unique.

I can't remember, is this discontinued (like Cologne Blanche)?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Another reason why niche or exclusive doesn't necessarily translate to a great scent.
    This maybe "exclusive" in that it's not widely distributed, but it's not niche. Dior is a designer line, and even though the bottles are massive, it's actually very inexpensive per ml -- on par with mainstream designer pricing/quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The other thing I like about it, is it doesn't smell like anything else. It's very unique.

I can't remember, is this discontinued (like Cologne Blanche)?
    To me, it was the opposite in that it smelled like a ton of nondescript, synthetic powdery scents out there from cheap celebrity stuff up to mainstream women's designer. It's not bad by any means, but I've smelled tons of stuff like it before. And no, it's not discontinued.

I recently tried Mitzah, Bois D'Argent, Ambre Nuit, and Leather Oud together and aside from Leather Oud (which did stand out as something a little different), the rest were all built on the same base accord and essentially doing the same thing. To my nose, they're just slightly better blended versions of Macy's type stuff.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th May 2013 at 09:38 PM.

This one was weird for me. I don't know whether I liked it or hated it. I just couldn't get me nose around it and was left scratching my head in the end.

I personally like this one a lot. Not very loud, it is a nice soft fragrance. Not my favorite from the line, but one of the 3 best IMO.

Pretty solid scent, keep going back and forth on it but strangely enjoy it. As mikeperez said its got such a weird vibe occurring that it has different facets that make it so interesting. Have a small decant which I'm wearing and see it as being FB worthy.

I had two negative compliments, both were saying I smelt quite feminine
    Last edited by canuck21; 14th December 2013 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    both were saying I smelt quite feminine
    Although I really don't subscribe to the gendered perfume thing (I have no problems wearing "female" frags), this is something that I can see my mom wearing. Then again, she also loves/wears Bond, and to me there are parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    This maybe "exclusive" in that it's not widely distributed, but it's not niche. Dior is a designer line, and even though the bottles are massive, it's actually very inexpensive per ml -- on par with mainstream designer pricing/quality.
    I wonder what the thinking is behind Dior, Chanel and the like using such massive bottle sizes. I'm sure their marketing team has crunched the numbers and decided these are the best sizes, but it seems very excessive ml sizes, especially for these pseudo niche releases that seem geared toward people who collect lots of fragrances and wouldn't need so much juice.

Bois D'argent is really underwhelming to me. Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan are my favorite from this line, both are fantastic.

I had high hopes for Bois D'argent, but found it too weak to bother with. I found it to be pleasant, but so light I couldn't really notice it much.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Quote Originally Posted by kende View Post
    I wonder what the thinking is behind Dior, Chanel and the like using such massive bottle sizes. I'm sure their marketing team has crunched the numbers and decided these are the best sizes, but it seems very excessive ml sizes, especially for these pseudo niche releases that seem geared toward people who collect lots of fragrances and wouldn't need so much juice.

Bois D'argent is really underwhelming to me. Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan are my favorite from this line, both are fantastic.
    To be honest, I think the line might be targeted to an audience who like to marinate themselves. And yes, Leather Oud was a standout for me as well.