Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Default Re: R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Chanel No 5. I cannot for the life of me wear it, but there's no denying it remains a timeless classic.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Green Irish Tweed probably. I respect it as a truly great fragrance, and actually like it a lot, but I get negative feedback from those around me when I wear it, they say I smell too old mannish.
    +1.

I respect GIT, but each time I wore it, I got what I consider to be negative feedback. I've been asked if it was Cool Water, which I consider negative only because it'd be like buying a BMW and having people ask "Is that the new Ford Fiesta?" But the last time I wore it, I was told I smelled, and I quote, "conservative." I asked if she meant that it wasn't edgy or maybe it smelled like an old man and she said "No. Whatever that is, it makes you smell like a Republican." Her words, not mine, but I completely understand what she meant.

I have a lot of respect for Green Irish Tweed. GIT is absolutely unquestionably superb. Of this, I have no doubt. But it isn't something I want to smell like. That being said... if climbing the corporate ladder were a priority to me, or if I wanted to project a sense of money and power plus quiet confidence, I'd buy GIT and it would be the only thing I'd wear. I should note that, in my opinion, the quiet confidence aspect is what makes GIT a work of pure genius.

GIT is a masterpiece. I have nothing but respect for it, but it isn't for me.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Eternity
    GIT and its knockoff CW
    Verdant
    Onda
    Comme des Garcons 2011

I think these are all great (especially when some of them were initially released), but just wouldn't/couldn't wear them.

Windsor.

I would have to say Lagerfeld cologne. An old school classic. Just not for me.

I would have to say GIT aswell. It's perfectly put together and is a smooth ride, but I just wouldn't like to wear it.

Another is Rien by ELdO -- I admire it very much, it doesn't compromise, but it's too bitter for me.

Kouros would be the one for me. I can't wear it because the urinal smell lingers on me for hours and I never get to the honey drydown that everybody raves about. But, I had a friend who wore it almost every day back in the early 90's and it smelled great on him. So, I know it does smell great - just not on my skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I would have to say GIT aswell. It's perfectly put together and is a smooth ride, but I just wouldn't like to wear it.

Another is Rien by ELdO -- I admire it very much, it doesn't compromise, but it's too bitter for me.
    I find it interesting that GIT has gotten so many "votes" in this thread. I've always considered it a very inoffensive and unobtrusive fragrance - i.e. one that everybody likes.
    Last edited by jbthorpe; 4th February 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I find it interesting that GIT has gotten so many "votes" in this thread. I've always considered it a very inoffensive and unobtrusive fragrance - i.e. one that everybody likes.
    There's a big difference between liking it and wanting to wear it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

GIT, I respect the effort but I don't want to smell like cool water.
    In short, most creeds give me that vibe. Quality ingredients but pedestrian smell. You can get the same smell for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    There's a big difference between liking it and wanting to wear it.
    Agree.