Code of Conduct

Thread: R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Default R-e-s-p-e-c-t

are there any fragrances out there that you cannot wear/hate but still have a huge appreciation/respect for? at first fahrenheit was like this to me when i first smelled it. it was so different and unique, especially from a designer. i applauded dior for thinking outside the box and creating such a fragrance, but in my head oil and flowers with a leather base was just not something i wanted to smell like. with a little time however, i gave it a few more whiffs and now its on my buy list, but thats not the point

just curious but does anyone else feel this way towards a certain fragrance?

Default Re: R-e-s-p-e-c-t

No, not really.

I know it's not exactly the same as what you're asking, but I have some appreciation for Andy Tauer's creations (LDDM, Orange Star, and even the maligned Pentachord Auburn in all its synthetic grandeur) but view them as something as an exercise in self-indulgent artistry, rather than in creating something both wearable and beautiful.

They're interesting scents, to be sure, and it's clear that Tauer hasn't compromised his visions of what he wanted to create (ah, the freedom of niche) but of the five I've smelled, only Orange Star could come even close to being a scent I'd wear regularly. LDDM is very nice, but a full-bottle would last me decades.

I still really dislike Vetiver Dance and Lonestar Memories....they could have been so much more.

As an aside, Tauer's were the first group of niche fragrance where I could actively smell a 'signature' accord - that 'dusty plastic/rubber' I get from all five of my sample vials really turned me off them.

Green Irish Tweed probably. I respect it as a truly great fragrance, and actually like it a lot, but I get negative feedback from those around me when I wear it, they say I smell too old mannish.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSmells View Post
    No, not really.
    Same here.

I totally didn't get PdN New York at first, but kept it in the rotation only because Luca Turin said he wore it for 10 years.
    Much to my surprise, I tried the new reformulated version at a niche shop in Phoenix and ended up liking it enough to buy a small 30 ml bottle.

There is not a specific fragrance that i dislike but rather a "genre" if i may, that i dislike. That would be oudh. Oudh is a wood based fragrance which is actually extract of sapp from a tree. It has an extremely strong scent and it is most commonly liked by africans and indo-pakistanis. It is also very expensive and a huge part of the perfume industry in most parts of the world outside of europe and the usa. I have much respect for the fragrance due to the way its made, how much it costs and how popular it is.

I know most people can't make a distinction between liking a fragrance and thinking that a fragrance is good. Yet I think this distinction is essential if you really want to talk about fragrances. Otherwise it's just about me liking this and you liking that, end of story. I believe some fragrances really are more distinctive and better balanced than others - likes and dislikes has little to do with this.

It's kind of analogic with looking at a picture of your childhood home. You get a lot of good memories; the picture is beautiful to you. Yet you wouldn't say that the picture is beautiful in itself. Another example: some music I like I could recommend to people without hesitation because I have made a judgement that it is good music. Some others I wouldn't: I believe me liking it is more about my own quirks than anything else.

I don't like Kouros, but I think it's an exceptional fragrance. Vintage Derby is one of the most impressive fragrances I have ever smelled, yet there are fragrances I like more. I'm sniffing Vintage Tabarome as we speak, I appreciate it more than I like it.

Grey Flannel
    Paco Rabanne pH
    Musc Ravageur
    Caron Pour Un Homme -- Really like this one, but the dirty musk note ruins it. Taste of Heaven is so much better, but too pricey.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

I dislike both Poison and Kouros, but admire the perfumer's obvious skill that went into creating them. The strength and diffusion of both are remarkable, and the perfumer's ability to do that is something that I admire. Pity about the results though....

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Antaeus

Basenotes Member

I can see that on the right person Paco Rabanne's La Nuit would be mind blowing, but on me it's too much dirty underpants and not enough spice, rose and honey. I respect it for what it could be, and the boldness of the idea.

In the opposte direction I see the potential beauty in Hermes' Hiris, cool whisper quiet iris and wood. But on me dank and pallid, like the wrong shade of mauve. Again I have respect for the idea, but I can't wear it without shaking my head every time I sniff it.

There are a million reasons why you might not like to wear a great fragrance. The only thing that matters is being confident that you're discerning enough to recognize a great fragrance.

GIT
    LDDM
    AVENTEUS
    NEW HAARLEM

I respect the following carved out by these, however, none are my "thing".

Chanel Egoiste. Love the smell, just not on my skin.

Fahrenheit (the initial version, oddly, not the 32, Summer, Absolue etc. flankers, I can wear these effortlessly) is a very good scent, yet, for a certain reason, I find myself unable to wear it, even if taken apart, I like certain of its notes.

Jub XXV- impressed with quality of ingredients, just found I dislike 'heavy' incense

The one that immediately comes to mind of CDG's latest perfume. I don't want to smell of sweet packing tape, but I find it fascinating and I'm glad that they made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Chanel Antaeus
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Green Irish Tweed probably. I respect it as a truly great fragrance, and actually like it a lot, but I get negative feedback from those around me when I wear it, they say I smell too old mannish.
    Really?! Interesting!

ELdO Secretions Magnifique, Rien and a few others in their line. Really daring and well put together fragrances that demonstrate artistry and mastery in their composition, but there's no way in hell I could pull them off. I don't think I could bear to spend a full day smelling them emanating from myself.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. Clearly gets a lot of love and adoration, but I just can't seem to get used to it. Doesn't smell pleasant to my nose... Puts me in a negative mood for some reason. Guess I just can't relate to the leather scent it offers.

1740 Marquis de Sade
    Egoiste
    Absolue Pour Le Soir
    Kouros

*These 3 I really dislike certain aspects of, but I respect their quality and what they do

Lumiere Noir
    Bel Ami
    and to some degree Fahrenheit

I love the way these smell, but for one reason or another I have a hard time wearing them.

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of.

Most vintage creations just don't interest me, but I respect that they brought everything to where it is today.

Two come to mind:
    Malle's Portrait of a Lady
    Mona's Oud

Utmost respect, but they're not right for me.

I feel exactly the same way about Fahrenheit. I just don't want to smell like flowers and petrol, but still what a fragrance!

Banned
    Blog Entries

L'Air du Desert Marocain

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I admire Dior's Original Poison and Thierry Muggler's Alien for the artistry of perfumery that made them, but they are two that are too much for me. Bravo to them!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    This! Just too complicated for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    This! Just too complicated for me.

I do not wear the following, but admire/respect them for their innovation and the huge impact they made on the industry.
    Grey Flannel
    Fahrenheit
    Cool Water
    Poison
    cK One
    Lagerfeld (classic mens)
    Joop! Homme
    Angel (and the "angel" accord ~ now used in so many perfumes)
    Eau Sauvage ( in the case of this fragrance, for me it became a victim of its own success ~ in the seventies in Britain every second guy was wearing Eau Sauvage and that killed it for me)

Interesting thread. Thanks !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Chanel No 5. I cannot for the life of me wear it, but there's no denying it remains a timeless classic.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    +1.

I respect GIT, but each time I wore it, I got what I consider to be negative feedback. I've been asked if it was Cool Water, which I consider negative only because it'd be like buying a BMW and having people ask "Is that the new Ford Fiesta?" But the last time I wore it, I was told I smelled, and I quote, "conservative." I asked if she meant that it wasn't edgy or maybe it smelled like an old man and she said "No. Whatever that is, it makes you smell like a Republican." Her words, not mine, but I completely understand what she meant.

I have a lot of respect for Green Irish Tweed. GIT is absolutely unquestionably superb. Of this, I have no doubt. But it isn't something I want to smell like. That being said... if climbing the corporate ladder were a priority to me, or if I wanted to project a sense of money and power plus quiet confidence, I'd buy GIT and it would be the only thing I'd wear. I should note that, in my opinion, the quiet confidence aspect is what makes GIT a work of pure genius.

GIT is a masterpiece. I have nothing but respect for it, but it isn't for me.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Eternity
    GIT and its knockoff CW
    Verdant
    Onda
    Comme des Garcons 2011

I think these are all great (especially when some of them were initially released), but just wouldn't/couldn't wear them.

Windsor.

I would have to say Lagerfeld cologne. An old school classic. Just not for me.

I would have to say GIT aswell. It's perfectly put together and is a smooth ride, but I just wouldn't like to wear it.

Another is Rien by ELdO -- I admire it very much, it doesn't compromise, but it's too bitter for me.

Kouros would be the one for me. I can't wear it because the urinal smell lingers on me for hours and I never get to the honey drydown that everybody raves about. But, I had a friend who wore it almost every day back in the early 90's and it smelled great on him. So, I know it does smell great - just not on my skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I would have to say GIT aswell. It's perfectly put together and is a smooth ride, but I just wouldn't like to wear it.

Another is Rien by ELdO -- I admire it very much, it doesn't compromise, but it's too bitter for me.
    I find it interesting that GIT has gotten so many "votes" in this thread. I've always considered it a very inoffensive and unobtrusive fragrance - i.e. one that everybody likes.
    Last edited by jbthorpe; 4th February 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I find it interesting that GIT has gotten so many "votes" in this thread. I've always considered it a very inoffensive and unobtrusive fragrance - i.e. one that everybody likes.
    There's a big difference between liking it and wanting to wear it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

GIT, I respect the effort but I don't want to smell like cool water.
    In short, most creeds give me that vibe. Quality ingredients but pedestrian smell. You can get the same smell for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    There's a big difference between liking it and wanting to wear it.
    Agree.