Code of Conduct

Default Do Frags fully develop when sprayed on clothes??

I have heard conflicting views on this topic. I do have a problem with attaining longevity from frags, so I am going to start experimenting with a spray or 2 on my shirt.

What I interested to find out is,do you guys that spray your clothes feel that the frag fully develops, I.e progresses through each phase that it would on skin?

Thanks

Default Re: Do Frags fully develop when sprayed on clothes??

Often develops differently, and I find it takes longer to get into the base notes. I usually end up with a mix of skin and clothes (undershirt) when I spray in order to get the best of both worlds.

I think it prolongs the topnotes, and any patchouli seems to stay for weeks afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I think it prolongs the topnotes, and any patchouli seems to stay for weeks afterwards.
    But does it goes past the Top and through the mid to the base (eventually) or do you only ever smell the Top notes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    But does it goes past the Top and through the mid to the base (eventually) or do you only ever smell the Top notes?
    I'm not confident to say really. I always have some scent on my skin as well as fabric so it's hard to separate them. I imagine that it does go through a whole cycle but might be wrong.

Cheers dude

Not quite sure about "development," as most frags stay pretty linear on me anyway.
    But it does seem that a spray or two on shirt/fabric improves longevity.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I would imagine that it doesn't process and progress the same way as it does on skin.

Interesting question.

I'm no molecular scientist and did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but it stands to reason that the more one contains fragrance molecules once out of the bottle, the slower its regular development. If this were not so, decanting would be a flop.

So, as a general rule, I'd expect a spray into the air to diffuse at a molecular rate much quicker than say a spray onto one's hairy chest under a t-shirt under another shirt. Likewise, much quicker from a metal table top than from a cotton shirt sleeve; quicker from a pulsepoint than that shirt sleeve, and so on.

HOWEVER, I am aware of (but don't really understand) polarity issues that may effect molecules in ways that may seem counter-intuitive to simple minds like mine. Perhaps larger molecules (e.g. sandalwood, some musks) stick to some fabrics (e.g. cotton terry cloth, wool) kinda like velcro and are more fleeting on others (e.g. polyester, nylon)? Perhaps polarity issues will effectively trap some scent molecules moreso if one sprays on fabric rather than skin so that the arm's length effect is a discernable difference in development? Perhaps. Also along these lines, it very well might matter if the carrier is alcohol v. something like water. Creating a different kind of 'tug a war' in diffusion v. polarity.

Dunno. I can think of less productive things to think about for a little while though.

Thanks very much for your input

My belated opinion is, apart from the interactions with skin chemistry (heat, more or less exposure to various outer factors), there is not much difference. I remember once having sprayed Chevignon Brand for Men, because of hurry and inattention, mostly on my shirt, instead of my skin and did not smell any significant difference from other applications with far more skin contact (then again, not noticing might also mean I had olfactory fatigue/my nose was untrained).

Cheers KR

Banned
    Blog Entries

no they don't.

which is good news for top-heavy scents

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have the same problem and do the same thing. I have found that the frag will fully develop on cotton fabric, but over a much longer time period.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I spray on clothes too, and as others were saying, the frag lasts much longer and it takes longer to go through the stages, but it does go through the same stages. Depending, it can be very slow, and you could still be in the heart of the frag at the end of the day.The speed depends also on the temperature of said cloth part. I spray on armpits, which are warmer than, say, chest or belly.

The drydown of certain materials, like leathers and patchouli, can last for days on clothes (Rien on a shirt works like a parfum d'ambiance of wherever the dirty shirt is kept).

Very occasionally, the frag profile can change especially in the top notes, because the cloth may not have enough temperature to bring out certain notes, but that is very rare.

cacio

i am now a big fan of spraying on my clothing..scent lasts so much longer and seems to project better as well
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    no they don't.

which is good news for top-heavy scents
    Sure they do. No as fast as on skin but definitely do.

The sandalwood in n'Aimez Que Moi is clear 5 hours into the perfume. Whereas the sandalwood note is prominent on skin a few hours into it.

Some not as fast as others though.

for swap/sale:

In my experience, they do, but the entire process takes longer and changes radically. It isn't an issue of skin versus clothes. It's an issue of the effects different surfaces have on the various molecules that make up different parts of a fragrance. That's also why scents last longer on some people than on others, but of course it's easier to judge on skin versus fabric versus leather versus glass since the differences are more dramatic.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Unless you are putting a suit in the cleaners after every wearing, how can u spray fragrance after fragrance on said suit without the notes or odors commingling into the fabric?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you are putting a suit in the cleaners after every wearing, how can u spray fragrance after fragrance on said suit without the notes or odors commingling into the fabric?
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

I agree that it seems to prolong certain notes, but never seems to fully develop in my opinion. I don't often spray frags on my clothing for this reason.