Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default new to this whole world

Hello,

I am new to the world of fragrances and I really don't know what's what. I've been browsing this forum for a while and i've noticed names i never heard of [ not really that amazing considering that i only bought perfumes from Sephora until now ].

Now, I have an obsession with CREED Aventus, based only on reviews and different magazines i trust [ GQ/Esquire ] and I want to take the plunge and buy a 30ml decant blind [ i really can't find a dealer in Romania ].

Is this stupid?

I can tell you that i like interesting perfumes my favorite being Bulgari Black, I also had a sample of CREED silver mountain water but it didn't blew my mind, nor did it stay so much on my skin.

I also got to try Histoires de Parfums 1828, which came highly recommended but it's kind of too powerful or something and it just didn't fit me.

I really wanted to start this year with a new perfume...maybe not THE perfume...but a start in a good direction and this decant seems like a good start.

If anyone can tell me what they think and so, i'm very happy to hear it!

PS: I am 27 in case this matters.

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to ask you if its any advantage to buying for example 30ml recant or 3 10ml smaller samples. It seems to me that with 10ml you don't get too much to try with but all in all 30ml is 30ml right? [ I do have a 30ml JOOP that i use sort of often and it's still going strong after 1 year+ ] ---> just to have an idea how much perfume i usually use.

Thanks. I think i'm done with stupid questions for now

Default Re: new to this whole world

If you like Aventus, I'd say get whatever size you can and use that as a starting point.

Don't fall into the trap of following the 'hype' around any one fragrance. Some you'll definitely enjoy but others will not be worth the money they're selling for, which is the way I feel about Aventus (at least if you're purchasing it from a retailer), especially with the different batch issues people have experienced. Granted, a 30ml decant is probably a better deal but I definitely recommend you try to sample it but in your particular situation, if you cannot, I'd suggest buying less rather than more. Hope that makes sense. Personally, I've sampled Aventus about 2/3 times, and it has never been worth the price being asked, at least in my mind.

Sound Scents

I dislike Aventus so while I would certainly not say a blind decant purchase is "stupid" I would say buying 30 ml of it without trying it (and other alternatives first) is rather ill advised. My advice is get a tiny sample from either Ebay or Surrender to Chance and see if it is for you first (and get a sample of the dirt cheap Aventus clone Fresco too for that matter for comparison purposes). I could think of hundreds of scents I would recommend for less money that I easily prefer over it but you may find it matches your tastes and if so buy as big a decant as you can... Just try it and many others first, if at all possible.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

You can sample Creeds at Madison in Bucuresti.
    http://www.madisonperfumery.com/creed

Or you can order samples from First in Fragrance or Essenza Nobile in Germany.
    I wouldn't blind buy Aventus though, it's nothing special IMO.

Please please sample before you buy! 30 mls is quite a lot to purchase, what a waste if you don't like the sent at all.

Blind buying is like any other form of gambling: you may end up losing all the money you bet!

Welcome!

I second what others have said- I do not recommend blind buying anything expensive. Tastes are so personal that there's never a way to know if you're going to like something or not. Especially at the beginning, it pays to be patient and smell as much as possible, to get an idea of the various styles and of what's around.

I personally don't like Creed in general (including Aventus), I find them too simple, and overpriced for what they offer. But many other people here love them, and Aventus is one of the most beloved. Still, I would wait - sooner or later you'll certainly get the chance to get a small vial or smell it for yourself.

Incidentally, 10ml is a big quantity. The usual math is 10sprays for 1ml, so 10ml make 100 sprays.

cacio

Blog Entries

Thank you all for the answers. Now that i found out about this http://www.madisonperfumery.com/ I'll go tomorrow to sample CREED aventus, CREED royal oud and Comme des gracons - amazingreen.
    I have no clue what else, nor what I want so it will be hard for someone in shop to help me even if they wanted. But if you guys have any other suggestions I am more then happy to look them out.

Another perfume I heard good things about and want to try is Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanilla, but they don't have it at madison so i'll try to get a sample from ebay.

All this is very difficult for me because i don't have a good "nose" and i don't trust my taste so much and i sure don't want to buy some crap perfume [ even expensive crap as it is ]

Another perfume I heard good things about and want to try is Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanilla, but they don't have it at madison so i'll try to get a sample from ebay.
    Tobacco Vanille (and Tuscan Leather) I can readily recommend but, again, you're highly advised to sample them first as they are very strong and 'original', at least in my opinion (and I am also somewhat new to this whole world of fragrances).

Very many nice brands at that store. CDG is certainly worth exploring - I'd start with CDG2 man and with the Incense series. Another one I'd start from is Frederic Malle editions de parfum.

"All this is very difficult for me because i don't have a good "nose" and i don't trust my taste so much and i sure don't want to buy some crap perfume"
    that's why it pays off to wait a bit at the beginning and smell your way around. After a while, you'll build up experience and will be able to be more discerning. But more in general, it's not a matter of low/high quality, but of what you like, which, again, you will discovered after you've smelled a few things.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Don' forget there are a lot of great designer frags to be tried out there too and at more than half the price! Houses such as Chanel, Guerlain, Hermes etc....you don't have to pay a lot to smell marvelous!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Banned
    Blog Entries

i plunged and bought a decant of aventus.

it was an experience every man should have in his life

Most of us take the plunge and blind buy at some point. There are definitely some drawbacks to blind buying. You should be able to find a BN member who might be able to help you out with a sample or smaller decant of it to try before you buy a larger decant or bottle of it. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of fragrance addiction!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

haha. that was good!

i'm gonna have aventus on me tomorrow. we'll see if it sticks. I found a nice guy who has decants on ebay for a pretty decent price 27$ for 10ml.

but first, i need to sample it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktrick View Post
    but first, i need to sample it
    good boy.

Basenotes Member

You can try looking through http://flacon.ambaric.net/index.php for decants of creed or whatever. I found that site very useful for sampling.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

Yup. I did. And found it to be a plunging experience indeed.

Nooo...don't fall for the Aventus hype! Spend the money on samples instead!