Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Issues with my collection

I've developed a pretty big collection over the past year or so and what has struck me is that it might be a little unbalanced...

Here's my collection:

1 Million
    24 Gold
    24 Platinum
    360 Degrees Red
    A*Men
    A*Men : Les Parfums de Cuir
    A*Men Pure Havane
    A*Men Pure Malt
    Allure Homme
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Allure Homme Sport
    Animale Animale
    Armani Code Aventus
    Black XS
    Bleu de Chanel
    Boss Bottled
    Bulgari Aqua pour Homme
    Burberry London for Men
    Chocolate Greedy
    Chrome Legend
    cK one Scene
    cK One Shock for Him
    Comme des Garçons 2 Man
    Concentré D'Orange Verte
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Homme Sport
    Encre Noire
    Fahrenheit
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    H.M. Hanae Mori
    Jaguar Vision
    Just Me Paris Hilton
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    YSL L'Homme
    L'Humaniste
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    La Nuit de L'Homme
    Le Mâle
    Michael Jordan Legend
    Love and Luck
    Marc Jacobs for Men
    Nautica Blue
    Noir de Noir
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Rochas Man
    Silver Al Rehab
    The One
    Tobacco Vanille
    Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Versace pour Homme
    Very Sexy for Him
    Nautica Voyage

I feel like I'm lacking some real summer winners when compared to winter frags, which is unfortunate for me as I live in a fairly temperate part of Australia.

What do you chaps think? I feel like some of the summer scents I have are just there because I have to have something to wear for summer rather than actually enjoying them as fragrances... Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not particularly good at classifying scents, but I'm fairly sure I have a lot of gourmands/orientals and citruses. Where do you think is a good direction to be exploring? I'm not as adventurous with my scents as I should be really...
    Last edited by lotto; 8th March 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Default Re: Issues with my collection

A couple of things strike me, You like Gourmands...1 Million, Chocolate Greedy, 24 Gold, A*Men and others all have a sweetness. I see alot of dept. store frags, which isn't bad, but how about more niche? The Silver Al Rehab is a nice spice frag, how about some Montale Dark Aoud? Summer also can mean light and airy Like Penhaligon's Opus 1870 or Blenheim Bouquet or English Fern. You have quite a collection for one year old..you must have really hit the lotto!!!

I think you've got some great summer scents, but summer scents generally tend to be fresher and less complex, so may seem somehow less impressive than cold weather scents.

Where in Australia? I only ask as a general guide for just what the summers are like. As you've built up that collection so quickly, I'd say spend some time sampling, or even getting more familiar with what you have and what you like, and not get so caught up in confining certain scents to certain seasons.

Basenotes Member

Yeah, it's a pretty big collection for a short amount of time, and I think I'll have to do some pruning. Sadly, most of the fragrances I've identified as possible sales are my warmer weather scents, which is a concern because they're usually the safer ones for work/will probably get the most wearing. I'll sample some of your suggestions from Penhaglions up there and maybe try to aim for some quality which I'm happy with rather than quantity...

Darjeeling: I'm currently working in the Gold Coast, but I spend most of my time in Sydney.

I've been trying to get some samples and go into splits to try to experience some more genres, but I'm always a little underwhelmed with the lighter/summery fragrances. I do understand your point though, I didn't think that maybe that it might just be my nose and not the fragrances that were the problem. I'm only starting to delve into the niche side of things recently in the attempt to find something magical for me; I'm always chasing the excitement and happiness when you discover something that redefines what a fragrance can be like, like when I first sniffed GPHII or DHI. Hopefully there'll be at least one or two more unique niche scents that'll do the same for me...

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you want to try more summer scents, here are my recommendations:
    Creed's Virgin Island Water
    Versace's Eau Fraiche
    Armani's Acqua Di Gio
    Issey Miyake Sport Edition
    Dior Homme Sport

Good and ample collection. Indeed, you do seem to be drawn towards richer, more gourmand scents. For the summer, I like vetivers a lot, so perhaps you could explore some of them. Vetiver smells fresh, slightly green, grassy, and rooty, and, unlike other fresh materials, is quite durable. Mainstream examples are Guerlain Vetiver and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, in more expensive territory Chanel Sycomore and Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.

cacio

I think your collection is fine.

Basenotes Plus

Penhaligon's Opus 1870 is definitely worthy a try.

ADG, L'eau D'Issey, Gucci PH2, Virgin Island Water, Versace PH, Cartier Roadster/Roadster Sport
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I would say try a few Creed scents. MI would be nice. Or how about Frapin 1270?

Since you've got:
    Quote Originally Posted by lotto View Post
    Bulgari Aqua pour Homme
    Concentré D'Orange Verte
    Dior Homme Sport
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Un Jardin sur le Nil
    at least you're not starving! And you've gotten some great recs so far, esp:
    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Versace's Eau Fraiche
    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Chanel Sycomore
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    But you said you like stuff that really catches you. I think you should also consider Comme des Garcons Vettiveru, and The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver. Those are two very different summer frags, but each time I wear them I'm constantly thinking how good and interesting they are.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the suggestions and I'll have to sample them very soon.

It seems like rather than citruses, vetiver fragrances are what you might recommend more. I'll have to investigate further because I haven't really smelled anything outside of Encre Noire. It is quite good, but I haven't really tested it in the summer as it seems to be a darker, more brooding vetiver.

Encre Noire is the darkest vetiver (together perhaps with Sycomore) because it has lots of woods and synthetics. Most other vetivers are more straightforward, and fresher.

cacio

I would surely recommend you try montale. Try White Oud, Black Oud or Dark Oud. They are unique and once you get used to how they project, it will be very hard to switch