Code of Conduct

Default Creed Aventus - Split or Online Retailer

Hey guys,

Just joined this forum and this is my first post. I was just wondering if you guys could recommend the best way to get a bottle of Aventus. I've read a couple threads with people talking about fragrance.net and amazon (non 3rd party) and reviews seem to be positive. I also looked at Scentmonkey, but reviews for it seems to be mixed. I looked into splitting as well, and the prices are pretty good for that too. Having the actual bottle would be nice though.

I know that cologne has a shelf life and was just wondering if I bought from fragrance.net/amazon/other online retailer, would I be getting a fresh bottle? I was reading up on the batch numbers and apparently some batches are much better than others; would getting a split where the splitter ordered directly from Creed ensure a good batch?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether it would be more worth it to get a split or to purchase from a discounted online retailer?

Thanks!

Default Re: Creed Aventus - Split or Online Retailer

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeBacon View Post
    Hey guys,

Just joined this forum and this is my first post. I was just wondering if you guys could recommend the best way to get a bottle of Aventus. I've read a couple threads with people talking about fragrance.net and amazon (non 3rd party) and reviews seem to be positive. I also looked at Scentmonkey, but reviews for it seems to be mixed. I looked into splitting as well, and the prices are pretty good for that too. Having the actual bottle would be nice though.

I know that cologne has a shelf life and was just wondering if I bought from fragrance.net/amazon/other online retailer, would I be getting a fresh bottle? I was reading up on the batch numbers and apparently some batches are much better than others; would getting a split where the splitter ordered directly from Creed ensure a good batch?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether it would be more worth it to get a split or to purchase from a discounted online retailer?

Thanks!
    Hi mate. Aventus only launched in 2010, so unless it was stored very recklessly, quality should not be an issue. One issue you will have is inconsistancy of smell across different batches, which is why a Split, may be a good idea, as you know which batch you are going to get. Go to the Fragrance Split board and open Kron's thread. Can't get more reliable than him ;-)

An online retailer.

Should you choose to go the split route, I second the Kron recommendation.
    I have made four purchases from him. He is a very nice guy to work with, his packaging is great & I've been very pleased with every transaction. I'm certain that many other members on these boards will also second this.

Here is the link to his split thread-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/291...d-HdP-Tom-Ford
    Last edited by srellim1; 3rd February 2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeBacon View Post
    ...I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether it would be more worth it to get a split or to purchase from a discounted online retailer?
    Welcome to Basenotes! It really depends on your financial capabilities. Personally, I'd like to own an actual bottle if I can afford it.

If you are able to afford a bottle and that aspect appeals to you than that would be the best route (via an online retailer) if you do not care about the bottle itself, 50ml of Aventus can be had right around $100.00 -not as aesthetically pleasing as having the bottle though.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yeah I already PMed Kron yesterday to ask some questions about the splitting.
    With most online retailers, I think it works out that I get more for what I pay compared to the split. And I also get the bottle which is really nice...

I'm just concerned mainly about the quality. With orders from Kron, am I ensured of a good batch? Because isn't it also possible to get poor batches straight from Creed UK? Is the range of quality between batches really that large?
    Last edited by ILikeBacon; 3rd February 2013 at 09:44 PM.

You will get a good batch from Kron, rest assured. As above, if you don't mind not having the bottle I would recommend a split. Good luck whichever route you choose.

Grab a split. Heperd or Kron will be able to help you out.

If you have never smelled Aventus before then you should not worry about batch variations. There was a so called "bad batch" in 2010 but it is long gone. The 2011 and 2012 batches that you will get from a split or retail bottle will be good.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I never got into splits honestly. If I want to smell a fragrance, and don't have access to it somewhere in my city, I'll pay a few bucks for a sample.
    If I like something enough to want to buy it, I want the entire retail bottle.

I don't mean to toot his horn but if you were to go into a split, I'd recommend heperd. He's a great splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I never got into splits honestly. If I want to smell a fragrance, and don't have access to it somewhere in my city, I'll pay a few bucks for a sample.
    If I like something enough to want to buy it, I want the entire retail bottle.
    Although I do think there is some sort of pleasing aesthetics to owing retail bottles, for niche or higher-priced frags, I don't mind a split at all. I don't have my fragrances out for display so I don't really get bothered by it, except on days where I'm OCD and wished I had the real bottle. Then I remember I'm a poor college student who's spent way too much on frags at this point in life.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I don't mean to toot his horn but if you were to go into a split, I'd recommend heperd. He's a great splitter.

Although I do think there is some sort of pleasing aesthetics to owing retail bottles, for niche or higher-priced frags, I don't mind a split at all. I don't have my fragrances out for display so I don't really get bothered by it, except on days where I'm OCD and wished I had the real bottle. Then I remember I'm a poor college student who's spent way too much on frags at this point in life.
    Oh for sure, college student budget would be perfect candidate.

But the reason I wouldn't do a split is just because I'd want as much juice as I can get. The bottle part is nice too, but not too big of a deal.

Actually I'm lying, once I had to decant something myself lol. I have a buddy that works in the industry that brings me 4oz creeds all the time.

One summer I ran out of silver mountain water! And he didn't have any bottles of it to give me. I started freaking out lol
    I'm thinking to myself, don't tell me I have to actually go BUY a bottle.

So I had him bring me 10 sample vials and I put tem into a 30ML spray bottle.

It got me through the summer

Haha, that's one way to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    If you have never smelled Aventus before then you should not worry about batch variations. There was a so called "bad batch" in 2010 but it is long gone. The 2011 and 2012 batches that you will get from a split or retail bottle will be good.
    This! And make sure you have smelled Aventus (or any other cologne) before buying it. Don't buy anything blindly.

Notice that you don't see any RECENT discussions of "bad" Aventus batches. All of that occurred shortly after the fragrance was introduced.

As far as the "shelf life" of a fragrance, according to personnel in the Creed Boutique, the clock doesn't start ticking on a fragrance until the bottle has been opened (i.e., sprayed and oxygen has been introduced). And yes, Fragrancenet will be "fresh". The only time you would really even need to be concerned about getting an old bottle is if you would buying a fragrance that was discontinued several years ago. For instance, if you know a certain cologne hasn't been made for 7 years, then any bottle you find is going to be at least 7 years old. Even then, the juice is probably fine if it's been stored correctly and hasn't been sprayed yet.

But you don't have to be worried about anything like that if you're buying fragrances that are still being produced.

I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer to this. IMO, it's all based on you: your financial situation + how much you enjoy the fragrance. You can find pretty good deals both in splits and the grey market. Me personally, I prefer purchasing from the grey market (Fragrancenet in particular), unless it's one of those super expensive Royal Exclusives (such as Pure White Cologne) or limited editions (such as Windsor).

I've gotten all of my Creed retail bottles from Fragrancenet and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately, it looks like they're sold out of Aventus at the moment. You can get 4 oz bottles of other Creeds for a little over $110, by taking advantage of this deal:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/322...ck-20-discount

SPLIT...because of the batch BS. I have around 120-30 ML of Aventus 2-3 different smells, similar but different.

overstock is offering Aventus for 189 for 4 oz bottle.!!!
    However I have no problem with a splits as i prefer more variety and 1 oz is more than enough and you can get there are many good splitters here and have purchased with no problems and good decants.sprayers.
    If i really like it I purchase a bottle.
    My one oz from Kron is still half full a year later
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

split from Creed Boutique.. I don't think creed is worth the $3 per ml when you buy the bottle... they don't last. but at $1.3 on a split it is worth it. Make sure you get the Eo1 or Eo2 batch...