Code of Conduct

Default 17 year old signature scent

I'm looking for a signature scent. I am a 17 year old high school student, and I have a small fragrance collection. I have bleu, la nuit de l'homme, l'homme, and 1 million. I'm currently questioning myself on whether or not I like Fahrenheit, I usually base my cologne off people's reaction and my mom(who I'm usually with while sampling) hates Fahrenheit. I like to be out of the ordinary, a lot of guys aren't big into cologne at this age so it's not hard to find a unique cologne. I don't want any super popular scents being thrown out(AdG) and then again I don't want some $150 1.7 oz niche. Although I said I was looking at Fahrenheit, I like sweeter scents but if from my current collection and my appreciation of Fahrenheit sparks an idea of a cologne that you know, please tell.

Default Re: 17 year old signature scent

Hi bgarce, have you thought of trying Terre d'Hermes or Hermes Voyage? You won't smell them on everybody, ghey are good quality and don't cost the earth.

- - - Updated - - -

Guerlain Homme and Guerlain Homme Boisé might be worth sniffing too.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Basenotes Junkie

Have you sampled Versace pour homme. It,s a nice one. I could easily see it being a signature scent for someone your age.

Go to Marshalls/TJ Maxx/etc. and get yourself a bottle of Rochas Man for $20 (it's the one with the bright pink box). It's a sweet, well blended scent, and girls love it (my teenage cousin and my gf's teenage brother wear it to school).

Fahrenheit is one of those frags that you really need to allow an hour to dry down on your skin before deciding if you like it. How it smells after an hour is what it will smell like for the next 8 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Go to Marshalls/TJ Maxx/etc. and get yourself a bottle of Rochas Man for $20 (it's the one with the bright pink box). It's a sweet, well blended scent, and girls love it (my teenage cousin and my gf's teenage brother wear it to school).
    TJ Maxx stopped selling Rochas Man around here a year ago. I haven't seen it since. I would like to buy a bottle for $20!

Paco Rabanne Black XS would be a good choice for you. Although popular here on BN and around the community, I have not spelled it on a single person in the real world.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Polo Blue

Burberry London

Banned
    Blog Entries

body kouros

Boss Bottled might fit the bill, though it is popular

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

+1 for Body Kouros by YSL. It is great smelling and not as widely used as some of the others that have been suggested.

Diesel plus plus

What you already have is a great start. I recommend Fahrenheit too.

...try Guerlain Homme l'Eau Boisée; it is my son's (21) favorite...!

Eau Savage Extreme!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Overcome By Fumes

Eau Sauvage Parfum

I agree that Terre d´Hermes is a good choice for someone your age. I can definitely imagine myself back in college and what good feedback/compliments it would gather.

To be honest regarding Body Kouros, I don´t think it would be a good choice for someone 17 years old.

Midnight in Paris or Rochas Man.

my son is 18 and he wears:
    Hugo Boss Selection
    F by Ferragamo pour Homme Black
    Rochas Man

I also suggest trying: Dior homme and homme sport.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Firstly I appreciate that you consider the choice of your mother, its amazing how mothers can give you the best advice over things that would suit you most of the times, the two fragrances my mother chose for me were Terre d'Hermes(over 212 vip men) and spice bomb (over allure pour homme) and she was spot on, everyone whom I asked the opinion between these choices selected what my mother selected for me (based on my personality and age) so do go and test somethings with her for some solid selections (get a gf quickly so that it gets less embarrassing though).

Secondly your collection is kind of mature for your age and lifestyle except 1 million. Better select a fragrance that suits your personality and daily activities (I don't think bleu, la nuit de l'homme would be good choices if you're in some sports and are sweating most of the time, on the other hand they would be great if you're in social gatherings of drama club or something.)

It seems that you're into sweetish frags (maybe it just seems that way to me) so as someone above recommended Rochas Man and Black XS, you should give them a shot, also give a shot to cigar by remy latour just for fun sake, its very affordable.

Davidoff Coolwater or Mugler Cologne

Since you like Fahrenheit (you have good taste bro), you could try Fahrenheit Aqua. It definitely has the Fahrenheit DNA, but it's not as strong as the regular Fahrenheit. Just purchased a tester bottle a few days ago. Love this stuff.

Basenotes Junkie

bgarce, if you're still actvly reading this thread, post back and let us all know what you picked when you finally purchase something. I'm curious to know what a 17 year olds tastes are geared towards. Thanks.
    Last edited by timmy-j; 4th February 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Funny, I've been wearing Égoïste since I was 15.
    I've always considered it my signature. Now I'm 32,
    so Égoïste is my 17 year old signature scent.

Try it ... maybe it'll be yours, too?! Even though most
    teens wouldn't like it, I think.

I think YSL L'Homme, Bleu de Chanel and Boss Bottled would be great choices for signature scent for a 17 year old guy.

Versace Pour Homme, Azzaro Chrome were my favourites when I was 17.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

If I was 17 and could find the older Cool Water version I'd be all over it. It was my signature from ages 22-27 and it is still, to this day, the overall #1 champ of getting compliments, smells, nuzzles, etc. But it may be too common for you. If you go elsewhere I love TdH and might try Mont Blanc Legend and Lacoste Eau de L 12.12 Blanc...don't wear this one but sampled it and found it young and good out of those ones.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    bgarce, if you're still actvly reading this thread, post back and let us all know what you picked when you finally purchase something. I'm curious to know what a 17 year olds tastes are geared towards. Thanks.
    My birthday is coming up in march, I feel like I have enough winter/fall scents(1million, la nuit de l'homme), so that makes Fahrenheit a no probably. So...I think I'm going to ask for issey miyake l'eau d'issey.. Are there any oppositions?

Quote Originally Posted by bgarce View Post
    My birthday is coming up in march, I feel like I have enough winter/fall scents(1million, la nuit de l'homme), so that makes Fahrenheit a no probably. So...I think I'm going to ask for issey miyake l'eau d'issey.. Are there any oppositions?
    Yes. There are tons of better warm weather fragrances than L'eau D'issey.

Go to Sephora/Macy's/other department stores and try Allure Homme (original) and Kenzo Power.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Yes. There are tons of better warm weather fragrances than L'eau D'issey.

Go to Sephora/Macy's/other department stores and try Allure Homme (original) and Kenzo Power.
    I've annoyed my local macys based off how much i go and sample colognes haha. I love the sweet ginger note of ysl l'homme, it just didn't have the longevity or projection that i wanted. I'm looking for a cologne for casual wear that will turn heads and gain compliments from random women. The only reason i say L'eau D'issey is because i put it on at ulta and instantly got 2 compliments from 2 very close(stubborn to compliment) friends of mine. I'd like something more aimed towards the female sex but my first experience with L'eau D'issey was a good one. And when i woke up in the morning, it was still on my wrist.

I think Bleu De Chanel could very well work as a signature scent for someone your age. I'd venture to guess that most high school kids aren't running out and buying Chanel fragrances. When I was in high school, I very rarely smelled fragrances on anyone. I have Bleu De Chanel and I find it to be extremely versatile and well-liked by most people. Plus, you already have it so you don't need to spend money right away.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I wod reccomend Hana Mori. Sort of sweet and sort of gourmond too. MarcJacobs for men is underated for a fig scent and delicious IMHO.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by bgarce View Post
    Bgarce, if you like Issey, buy Issey. Don't let anyone tell you what YOU should like. It sounds like you've sampled quite a bit and have a feel for what you like. So buy Issey and start sampling again for you're next frag.

Agree with Bleu de Chanel, YSL L'homme.

On the playful side, try Black XS L'exces for Him. Sweet, all year-round fragrance. Rochas Man would be an option also.
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
    Or what's a heaven for?"

- Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"

L'Homme Libre, Tommy By Tommy, Chanel Allure Homme Sport

also, Bvlgari Aqva Marine

I second Allure Homme Sport and Bleu de Chanel. Cool Water is good too. On the cheaper side I'd recommend Curve, not quite as popular in your age group so you'd be unique, plus girls really dig it. For a fresh, lighty peppery scent another good one would be Lacoste Essential, also relatively lower priced.

For your age group, I recommend you stick to crowd pleasers.

Ysl lhomme and ADG are great crowd pleasure