Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What is your Preferable Bottle Size ?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big Bottle (100 ml +)

42 46.67%
  • Small Bottle (75 ml -)

45 50.00%
  • Decants

4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Cool What is your Preferable Bottle Size ?

What is your Preferable Bottle Size ?

Some of us have huge collection of perfumes, while some are just start collecting fragrances.

I have around 80 scents in my collection, both full bottles and decants.

I buy big bottles for the scents I love & smaller ones for heavy scent that require only 1 - 2 sprays to last forever or one that is so luxurious that it is only suitable for special event.

I prefer big bottle, especially for niche, vintage, and discontinue perfume because it is hard to find and the price different between small bottle and big one is not much. The most important factor that make me choose big bottle is companies discontinue or reformulate great perfumes all the time.

But I have decided for the bottle size of perfumes I am going to get from Paris next month. I am going to buy two 50 ml of Frederic Malle, interested in CF and PoaL. And may be a few Serge Lutens.

Because I do not think I can finish all the bottles I already have. Some of them are really hard to wear in Thailand like the sweet amber bomb of Hermessence Ambre Narquiles or so 'unique' that makes people rise their eye brows like scents from Amouage, Santa Maria Novella, etc. Franky, I do not think I can finished all my decants, too.
    Last edited by Wit_Siamese; 4th February 2013 at 09:17 AM.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Default Re: What is your Preferable Bottle Size ?

100ml or bigger. Very very few of my fragrances in my collection of almost 1,400 are 75ml or less.

50ml, 75ml and 100ml are best

I am a also starting to have a big collection, so there's much more than I can possibly use. Hence small bottles (50-75) are enough, even accounting for samples exchanged with other people. I go for 100ml (or even bigger) for some of my very favorites. And I am slowly going towards parfum concentrations for the very few perfumes that have them.

Of course, the current iconoclastic fury of regulators and CEOs is a sensible argument for stocking up with big bottles. One cannot just assume to be able to purchase another bottle of a perfume when the first one is over.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    100ml or bigger. Very very few of my fragrances in my collection of almost 1,400 are 75ml or less.
    Now that is what I call a fragrance collection. Congratulations.

Almost 95% of all of my collection are large size bottles 100ml and higher!
    For small difference between small size and large size I prefer the larger one, so I can apply more fragrance in higher frequencies and even inexorably!
    Last edited by nfn1983; 4th February 2013 at 04:11 AM.

I like 100mls, but have been known to go for 50mls. I have noticed a trend now for 90 and 85 mls sizes.
    DONNA

Dcampbell

I prefer the smaller bottles because of how little I go through HOWEVER, I end up with the big bottles because I cannot justify the price difference for the amount of juice that I am getting. Some times it a difference of $5 a ml!

Ideally 200ml.

At the rate im going, I'm only, on average,reducing each perfume , if used equally, by 4ml per year.

By having 200ml I'll ascertain stock for a very very long time and more importantly the perfume in its current formulation.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Going against the grain here but if the value per mL stays constant, I prefer 50mL and sometimes 30mL. I have trouble finishing bottles, and finishing a bottle means that I could justify buying something new! Hahahah.

100 ml and above for me

being an happy trigger I finish all the bottles I love, decants are sad, small bottles only if it's something discontinued!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

I voted for 75 ml or less. I prefer smaller bottles. I've seen 30-ml bottles in Europe, and I wish there were available here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Going against the grain here but if the value per mL stays constant, I prefer 50mL and sometimes 30mL. I have trouble finishing bottles, and finishing a bottle means that I could justify buying something new! Hahahah.
    My thoughts also. Lots and lots of 50mls or less. If I love one, I'll size up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    My thoughts also. Lots and lots of 50mls or less. If I love one, I'll size up.
    Same here. I don't want to die before I've used up at least 90% of my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    Same here. I don't want to die before I've used up at least 90% of my collection.
    Nice!

It's rare that I buy samples and decants so I tend to go with 30ml bottles for myself. However if I'm buying something to put away and collect I'll usually go with the 100ml.

Totally agree. I'd buy 20-30 ml bottles if they made them of every fragrance, no matter if they cost more per ml (but they cost less, absolutely speaking- economics is not my cup of tea)
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

5-10ml.

50-75ml minimum (though ideally 75-100ml) but am more flexible when it comes to extraits.

I don't like to have to repurchase too often and the 100+ml size usually costs less ounce for ounce. So It's "the bigger, the better" in my opinion.

I actually love when I can get just a 30-50mL size from a house. That alone can last me a good 6 months of constant usage, but mix that with many others as well as days I wear nothing or am trying samples out?

If I like something, I can always buy it a second time, or more.

Give me even a small trunk of 100mL bottles and I'd likely have to resign myself with knowing I'm already set for life...

For frangrances which I totally love and use often - 100ml as it is often the most economical option.

Otherwise, would prefer 30ml bottles of fragrances which I alternate between or ones that I am not 100% sure about (yes, guilty of some blind buys...). Obviously, if the 50ml costs the same as the 30ml, I'll go with the 50ml...

I wish they produced smaller bottles, though - perhaps around 10-20ml -these are great to carry around (unless it is a bulky bottle). Since most fragrances nowadays come only in spray bottles, you cannot fill small containers to carry around as we used to do years ago...

I like 30ml/50ml for EDTs/EDPs;
    15ml for extraits.

I generally like the look of smaller bottles, plus they fit more comfortably in my hand.

6.7 ounce bottles, 200ml. I go through them quickly if its a fragrance I like and use daily, in a couple months its gone.

Otherwise 4.2 ounce, 125ml for fragrances I only use once a month. This size ensures it will last a long time, years.

I don't like running out of juice.

I prefer original bottles to decants, but generally go for the smallest bottle possible since I do not go through fragrances very quickly. I've only actually finished a bottle once. I also find smaller bottles more comfortable in my hand.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

I am kind of changing my opinion on this matter. I am watching my collection remain mostly untouched through all these years, and I am thinking that a smaller size will be cheaper for me, even if the price per ml is higher. My note-to-self is going to be: get smaller sizes and if I get to finish the bottle and still love the perfume, I'll buy the large size. Exceptions: bargains on perfumes I have already tried extensively and thus know that I like much.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I've just added up the volume of perfume I have. Even though I've always aimed to buy the smallest size available, I already have over 2 litres of fragrance. That's already going to take me decades to go through. Sigh.

My preferred bottle size is 100ml, but as my collection grows, I realize there's no way I could ever use it all up... so, really, in a perfect world, I'd be able to buy 15 ml bottles.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just added up the volume of perfume I have. Even though I've always aimed to buy the smallest size available, I already have over 2 litres of fragrance. That's already going to take me decades to go through. Sigh.
    HA!!! I love it!!! I never thought about it that way. I guess I have around two liters worth too. That'd make for one heck of a smelly soda bottle!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

generally 75-100ml

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I prefer to purchase 100ml+ bottles.

I like a good 50ml personally if it's a new fragrance to me. If I'm buying another bottle of one I know and love then I think 100ml is a good size.

Basenotes Member

I tend to go for bigger bottles as the price per ml seems to drop so massively.

As an example, I had a £5 off voucher for boots so chose to buy a bottle of Diesel's Fuel for Life...
    50ml was £39.50 (£79/100ml)

I opted for the 125ml bottle which was about £50 - some £29/ml cheaper!

It's almost as if you're just buying the bottle and the juice is free

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I am kind of changing my opinion on this matter. I am watching my collection remain mostly untouched through all these years, and I am thinking that a smaller size will be cheaper for me, even if the price per ml is higher. My note-to-self is going to be: get smaller sizes and if I get to finish the bottle and still love the perfume, I'll buy the large size. Exceptions: bargains on perfumes I have already tried extensively and thus know that I like much.
    This. Another exception I confess to: bargains on vintage perfumes (even if I knew them only by reputation) if I know I'm not likely to come across again any time soon.
    Last edited by rowan-; 6th March 2013 at 07:06 PM.

I would say 75ml is a perfect size, especially for carrying around in your handbag, or holdall.