Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When someone asks you what you're wearing....

After a compliment. Do you tell them? Or keep it a secret?

I'm torn. At the same time i don't want everyone to smell like "me" but i also want to spread good words so i never know what to say!

What do you guys do?

Default Re: When someone asks you what you're wearing....

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't trying to wear the same scent you are.

It depends what you're wearing if it's a designer easily obtained at Macy's etc, then maybe you run in the issue of someone getting your same scent but like me when asked what I'm wearing let's say I'm wearing on that particular event Roja dove Aoud , and then they go : where can I get it, I tell them bergdorf or so , but if I'm ask for price you're sure that they will do cartwheels and flips when listening to price ; even creed prices from Boutique or fragrancenet would make most people look at you like you have two heads....So yeh , I'm honest I tell people what I'm wearing and some don't even ask for price just name of scent....btw, the pricier the frag , the more exclusive it becomes but obviously doesn't correlated to being a master piece or even being great and artistic can be found and do exist in upper to lower tier and subjective to an individual and there's always splits for higher ones that cost a pretty penny and it all comes to how passionate an individual is about fragrances.....cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 23rd February 2014 at 01:39 AM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I always tell them - if it's a super cheapie I tell them that too. I get more compliments it seems on super cheapies than I do better stuff. I don't have many "higher end" things but when I wear them and if anyone asks I tell them what they are too. Honestly, I just can't pay hundreds of bucks for stuff, not and have all of the other things I also like or do the things I like to do - wish I COULD sometimes but I make do with what I have.

Sometimes I have to stop and think about it..lol. I wear something different everyday. Other times, I'm stumped on the pronunciation and have to think for a bit how I should say it. That's why I like the you tube channels. There's this reviewer who's name is mark...I think. He sounds like he has a good grasp of the French language. That's wear I learned how to pronounce bois d' armenie. I'm seriously thinking about taking French.

Sometimes I think about telling them...only because I don't want people at work judging me by how much I spend on fragrances.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

I told a guy that asked yesterday that it was Axe. It was Tom Ford Oud Wood.

If it's a stranger, I tell them. No reason for me for all the secrecy. Likewise at work, I usually have a vial with me and I also share.

The name of the scent might be a problem.

One time I was wearing Armani Cuir Amethyste. I said the name, and got, "Huh?" I just said, "Leather Amethyst."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

If you notice someone smells really good, and you ask them what they're wearing, you wouldn't want them to lie to you. So, don't be a liar.

The golden rule.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    If you notice someone smells really good, and you ask them what they're wearing, you wouldn't want them to lie to you. So, don't be a liar.

The golden rule.
    I'm guessing this was for me. The whole story was he asked what kind of deodorant I wear. It is in fact Axe. But he was NOT smelling Axe because I only use the solid under the armpits, and this was at work 10 hours into the day. I just thought it much simpler to answer his question instead of explaining who Tom Ford is, and what the heck Oud is. ;-)

I always tell people, although some names seem to stump people. I was wearing Tocade once, my date asked me what I was wearing and I told him. He said, "Spell it" and I did. Maybe he thought I was mispronouncing the name. Same thing happened with Bois des Iles he thought I meant eels. Fortunately, there is no way to misunderstand "The Unicorn Spell" but then my friend said, "Is that a real perfume?"
    Last edited by foxbins; 23rd February 2014 at 02:20 AM. Reason: can't spell tonight

I see no reason why you would want to keep it a secret. But I'm not one to care if someone wants to know what I have on and wants it for themselves. If I smelled something on someone and liked it enough to ask I would want to know too.

The golden rule.
    Word. I just wish I could run into people who smelled good.

It's depends....of its a designer or something they can relate to then definitely. Bleu or Pure Havane etc is no secret. But if it's something niche and obscure..say Tauer LDDM I might hesitate because I may not feel like getting involved in that convo at the time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I'm guessing this was for me.
    Nope. I must have missed your comment as I skimmed along (scrolls back up. Oh, this?).

This question of lie or don't lie has come up a bunch of times here. I think it's funny how, when the thread is about "Do you ask strangers what they're wearing if you smell something great" people say they do. But if the question is "Would you tell someone what you're wearing?" people say they'd lie. It just seems so rude.

The golden rule really is good stuff. Treat others the way you'd want them to treat you.

Nope. I must have missed your comment as I skimmed along (scrolls back up. Oh, this?).

This question of lie or don't lie has come up a bunch of times here. I think it's funny how, when the thread is about "Do you ask strangers what they're wearing if you smell something great" people say they do. But if the question is "Would you tell someone what you're wearing?" people say they'd lie. It just seems so rude.

The golden rule really is good stuff. Treat others the way you'd want them to treat you.
    Agree with this. (I know for some that this is heresy..) It's only perfume. Share the love.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

If I am asked by another what I am wearing, I don't hesitate to tell them ever.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Word. I just wish I could run into people who smelled good.
    Indeed! I actually smelled a guy wearing Aventus once. I told this story here before, I think, but here it is again... I was in an office and noticed it. I never smell niche where I live, so I couldn't help asking. Also, the receptionist was adorable and looked bored out of her mind. So, I went over and said "Something smells really good. Is somebody wearing cologne?" In an instant, an oafish guy bounced up from a divider and said "Oh, that's me! It's not cologne though. I just smell good." I glanced down at the receptionist and she was doing an eye-roll THIS BiiiiiiiiiiG!

It was hilarious. I was tempted to clown the guy and say "Oh, come on man, you're wearing Aventus by Creed, and you're wearing way too much of it." But I didn't because I also felt kind of bad for the guy. Clearly, he was desperate for attention. I also hoped the receptionist was just a temp, because if she has to sit downwind of that guy every day...? Yikes. I'm not badmouthing Aventus, by the way. I own it and enjoy it very much. But too much of a good thing is no longer any good at all.

I always will tell someone if they ask. It 's only cologne.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If I am asked by another what I am wearing, I don't hesitate to tell them ever.
    Right on. It's just cologne, not state secrets.

Don't be a dbag - just tell them. If you're worried about losing some kind of 'edge' by telling someone what cologne you're wearing, you probably never had that edge to begin with.

Basenotes Member

if they ask just tell them its clive christian No.1 and if they remember or write it down and then look it up and discover the price tag would be good to see the look on their face .

I just tell them.

I tell them what I am wearing

It is better if more people buy the fragrance I wore. The more people buying the fragrance, the less fear I have of discontinuation. If no one knows....., how can I expect the fragrance will still be available,when the time comes I would like to replace my perfume.

LOL

If it's a small office and you don't want your coworker wearing your signature scent, I could see not giving the name of it.
    If it's mainstream or some stranger I would give
    The name to spread the joy.

Cool Re: When someone asks you what you're wearing....

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Don't be a dbag - just tell them. If you're worried about losing some kind of 'edge' by telling someone what cologne you're wearing, you probably never had that edge to begin with.

I totally agree!! Luckily for me I really enjoy androgynous risky slightly feminine fragrances, ones that only people like me can pull off like Dior Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme ect. Women have asked what I'm wearing when I'm wearing Prada Amber PH because it's so unique and I will always tell them what it is....

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Right on. It's just cologne, not state secrets.
    Bingo.

Bottom line to the OP...if someone is going to go out of their way to pay you a compliment, don't be a douche bag and not answer a simple little question like "What is that?" They may just be wanting to know to gain a little knowledge, or they may actually be interested enough to want to buy a bottle.....and if it's the latter, then I'm all about helping something that I like to sell and thus hopefully keep it out of the "Discontinued" stage.

The only time I give pause is when I'm wearing something expensive. Has nothing to do with not wanting a coworker/friend to wear the same fragrance as me, I just don't want people knowing that I wear fragrances that cost upwards of $300.

I just tell it like it is.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

No reason not to tell them. There are plenty of fragrances out there for you to choose from.

I tell them, although I do have second thoughts about what they'll do when they see the price of some fragrances.

When asked, I told a co-worker that I was wearing Songe D'un Bois D'ete by Guerlain. She looked it up and baulked at the price and realized it isn't even available in Japan. I did explain that there are people who will sell decants so you can buy just a few ml to try.

Basenotes Plus

I always tell them and sometimes elaborate if they show genuine interest. It would be selfish and immature to do otherwise.

People ask me this all the time. Its become quite annoying. Only because they don't actually care what its called, but almost are programmed to ask right after they say "you smell great".

So i'm sort of selective who i actually tell the truth to. i know they actually care and may go buy it, i'll tell them. If its just a programmed response, i'll say "Chanel". lol

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I just don't want people knowing that I wear fragrances that cost upwards of $300.
    There was a thread like this a year or 2 ago with tons of people that said the same exact thing. very surprising. I just don't understand it though.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    There was a thread like this a year or 2 ago with tons of people that said the same exact thing. very surprising. I just don't understand it though.
    it is the fear what others may think you are a foolish person buying $300 fragrances that evaporates or they may rob your house because you are loaded

Basenotes Plus

I don't mind telling ppl what I'm wearing. I won't tell you the price though...

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    It's only perfume. Share the love.
    Agree with this. But I have hesitated once or twice - not because of price but because the name of the perfume was slightly awkward. Putain des Palaces, anyone? What We Do In Paris is Secret?

It happens so rarely, but when it does I tell them. Usually they have never heard of the fragrance.

Sound Scents

Of course I would tell them.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Frequently tell it, especially if being asked very specific and/or detailed questions.

I tell them. If they end up getting it, it just lets me enjoy the scent more often

If someone asks I just say "oh thanks! it's called _____"

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to say "oh, it's very expensive though and it's hard to find but you can get decants..." like I hear a few youtube reviewers and reviewers on here say.

NOBODY cares.

After you've told them, end it unless they ask where you got it and even at that point don't bring price into it.

They're most likely going to forget what it was called anyway and just go on with the rest of their day 5 minutes later.

I would just tell them the truth unless I was wearing Malle's French Lover.lol

Someone: "Oh, something smells good!"
    Me: "Hmmm, maybe it's me. Did I put too much aftershave cologne on this morning?"

Someone: Either
    (1) "No, no not at all, it smells real nice, what's it called?"
    OR
    (2) "Yeah, it's coming off kind of thick and doesn't smell very good, what's it called?"

Me: Either
    (1) "Yeah, it does smell pretty good. It translates to something like morocco desert, but it's a French name that I'd butcher. Want me to write it down?" OR
    (2) "Oh I hate when I splash too much. I was in a rush and overdid it I guess. Not sure what they call it, I think it was a stocking stuffer from one of the kids. Thanks for letting me know."

Scenario 1 has happened from time to time. Most are just complementing. Few actually want me to write it down, but so far it's only been ladies mentioning they wanted to buy it for their SO. Scenario 2 has never happened.

If I were a PoaL fan, I simply call it and write down "Portrait". If I were a Etat Phillipean Houseboy fan or Sorry, Don't Get Me Wrong I Don't Swallow fan, or a fan of any of the more stoopid names out there... I'd lie without hesitation.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 23rd February 2014 at 03:25 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I just tell people, that that is how you smell, after working in a slaughterhouse for ten years.

But seriously, I usually just tell them what I am wearing.
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I would tell them. Kind strangers have told me and perhaps it would bring them as much joy.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I can't always remember what I'm wearing so I just say 'Old Spice'. It's easy to pronounce and cheap to buy, so everybody's happy.

Basenotes Junkie

99% of the time they have never heard of or don't really care what your answer is.

Talking Re: When someone asks you what you're wearing....

LOL! Love it! Maybe an axe was used to cut down the agarwood tree...

Yes, I'm not in 6th grade.

Also if I'm wearing it chances are I would appreciate the scent getting support from others so its not pulled.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

To my spouse and to my best friend i tell, others i won't. If i'll meet another Basenoter live, i do tell if he/she asks.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Wow, some pretty snarky responses to this considering it's "just cologne".

I'm not a "dbag" (lol), but especially if i'm on a date, i'll be intentionally vague about it to add a little bit of mystery. That doesn't go just with fragrances but with everything. Being in my mid 20s and single (read: lots of dating) it gets incredibly effing boring when dates end up being like Q&A time. And more often than not, i get complimented on this "mystery" - just saying. If it's just a random person in the street I always tell them the designer and it usually ends there. If they ask specifics i tell.

I find it funny that for some of you, there's NO SITUATION where you'd keep it to yourself. All the power to you.

If I ever got asked I'd give the name, not the price, they can look it up themselves. I end up going into 'geek/fraghead' mode if I go past the name by detailing top notes etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    If I ever got asked I'd give the name, not the price, they can look it up themselves.
    I've seen a few people saying they wouldn't give the name because of the price, or wouldn't give the price.....and my question is....why would anybody want to divulge the cost?

From what I can tell, the OP asked if someone asked the name...not the price. Besides, I've never been asked "how much does it cost?", so I see no reason to volunteer that info...whether it's a cheapier or expensive. If they ask, I'd probably just say something like "Oh, it varies, depending on where you find it...but it's not what I would consider cheap (or expensive)"...and just leave it at that. If they pressed, then "I don't know" would be the response they'd get....with maybe a lighthearted joking type comment like "you should be glad I shared the name with you, I normally don't do that....ha, ha" (smile, wink, nod)

But my guess is nobody will ask about the price. They'll be lucky to remember the name by the time they get home to Google more info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I've seen a few people saying they wouldn't give the name because of the price, or wouldn't give the price.....and my question is....why would anybody want to divulge the cost?

From what I can tell, the OP asked if someone asked the name...not the price. Besides, I've never been asked "how much does it cost?", so I see no reason to volunteer that info...whether it's a cheapier or expensive. If they ask, I'd probably just say something like "Oh, it varies, depending on where you find it...but it's not what I would consider cheap (or expensive)"...and just leave it at that. If they pressed, then "I don't know" would be the response they'd get....with maybe a lighthearted joking type comment like "you should be glad I shared the name with you, I normally don't do that....ha, ha" (smile, wink, nod)

But my guess is nobody will ask about the price. They'll be lucky to remember the name by the time they get home to Google more info on it.
    More times than not, if I mention a fragrance that the person hasn't heard of, the next two questions that come at me are, "Where can I find that and how much does it cost?"

From what I can tell, the OP asked if someone asked the name...not the price. Besides, I've never been asked "how much does it cost?", so I see no reason to volunteer that info...whether it's a cheapier or expensive.
    Absolutely.

I never talk about price, but I once had a date whip out her iPhone and look it up.

99% of the time, when someone asks what you're wearing, really, they're only vaguely curious. They're just paying you a compliment and maybe wondering if they've heard of it before, so they ask the name. Like I said, 99 times out of a hundred, they don't really care. But this was that 1 other time. She asked what I was wearing. I said "It's called Interlude Man" and then she reached for her phone and started typing. She showed me the screen and said "Oh my god. Is this it?" I felt really weird as I stared at a Google shopping page... $275, $290, $275, $290.

I learned a long time ago that a good story will get you out of almost any awkward situation... so... I told her a story.

This was a while ago, so I'm paraphrasing here... I basically said "Have you ever heard of the Craigslist Paperclip Guy? There was a guy who used craigslist as an experiment. He swapped stuff to see what he could get. He started with a paperclip and traded up, and then up again and again. He traded a red paperclip for a pen. Then he traded the pen for a doorknob, and blah blah blah, over a period of about a year, he traded all the way up to a house. It's a true story. I'm not saying I do that. I'm saying that price - value, really - is relative. It's based on what you have and what someone else wants. Money is easy since everybody wants that. Pay $275 and a bottle of Interlude Man is yours. Or, you could trade for it." Then I fetched my bottle of Gucci Pour Homme. I handed it to her and said "This used to cost $70 at the mall, but it was discontinued a while ago, and now it sells for stupid amounts of money on ebay. Eventually, I'll trade it for something expensive, and the person I trade with will be thrilled to get it."

...there has only ever been one other time when anyone ever asked how much something I was wearing cost, and that's a story for another day

99% of the time, when someone asks what you're wearing, really, they're only vaguely curious. They're just paying you a compliment and maybe wondering if they've heard of it before, so they ask the name.
    This echos my exact thoughts, and is what I've primarily experienced as well. I honestly don't believe I have ever been asked how much a fragrance COST...maybe where could they find it, but not the actual price of it! But then again, I'm in my 40's, and my generation didn't discuss how much money we made or spent with other people. It was considered "impolite" to ask such things.

And also....lets be honest...the compliments I receive, are always always 100% from women. And even the 20-somethings that compliment it, aren't interested in getting it for themselves, so they're not interested in the "price", they're just giving a compliment. Usually they aren't even all that interested in the name, they're just saying "you smell good" or "oh, I like your cologne"....something along those lines, just being friendly, without going too much into detail about "what it is". But on occcasion, I may have a woman ask the name because she'll want to get a bottle for her husband, but even on those occasions, I've never had one ask "how much does it cost?"

I learned a long time ago that a good story will get you out of almost any awkward situation... so... I told her a story.
    LOL....yeah, a good story....or a good, witty sense of humor.

(by the way....interesting story...did she buy it? LOL)

(by the way....interesting story...did she buy it? LOL)
    Yes. It was the truth though. Later, when I got up to use the restroom, I returned to find her reading about the paperclip guy on her phone, which I thought was funny. I assume she googled it.

lets be honest...the compliments I receive, are always always 100% from women.
    This has been my experience too.

I tell them. I don't see the point in lying. Even if they use "my" cologne, why not, it's a free world.

I don't think I've ever not answered a question after a compliment. It's common courtesy in my opinion.