Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice try Creed marketing dept.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creed is all you Need..

Being pushed over the edge into a state of catatonic inertia round about now! In the big wide wonderful world of fragrance from all corners of the earth why oh why would you settle for such a limited lexicon of fragrances? I find the premise deeply depressing. Creed fragrances are fine but by no stretch of the imagination do the encapsulate the depth and breadth of creative perfumery. We are talking about the output of a small family firm with a distinctive sensibility here. Just the thought makes me claustrophobic!

Post Thanks / Like

9 bottles of Creed for a little over $1000? I know your not talking 4 oz bottles. More like a few 2.5 oz and the rest being 1 oz bottles.

Creed is my favorite house and I think that most people could get by with what you are suggestions and maybe with the addition of BDP.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're not the least bothered by batch variations, by all means, go with Creed. After all, it is the fragrance house favored by royalty, Elvis, King Kong, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    Creed is my favorite house and I think that most people could get by with what you are suggestions and maybe with the addition of BDP.
    That's the key term right there: 'get by'. But for many of us, we do not wish to simply 'get by'.

Low quality products and gimmicky marketing plan. I don't even care to sample Creed let alone owning them with such price for such low quality and the rant about natural product.

I don't often wear Creed but when i do...i wear Orange Spice.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If you're not the least bothered by batch variations, by all means, go with Creed. After all, it is the fragrance house favored by royalty, Elvis, King Kong, etc.
    lol!

If all I had were creed scents, I would never wear any fragrance...

Post Thanks / Like

it this the official "creed fanboy thread" ?
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

The idea of limiting oneself to a single house is kind of sad, really. It suggests the name Creed is more important than what your own nose smells. I like Creed. Creed makes some excellent scents, but so do many other houses.

Yes, of course, one could limit oneself to a single house, but why? One could limit oneself to a single fragrance, quite frankly, and it'd be easier to justify. The moment you decide to own more than one fragrance, why on earth would you limit your options? To me, that's just plain silly. It's like limiting the things you'll eat to foods whose names begin with the letter G.

Perfume Fanboyism is for people who care more about brand names than smells.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 5th February 2013 at 05:37 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Haha. That actually made me chuckle out loud a bit.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't found a Creed I consider worth purchasing, and I have a fairly large collection. I'm not saying they smell bad (although I do think some of them are really terrible) - they're sort of like an average designer house with prices 3-4x higher than normal. So no - Creed is not all I need.

But everyone has their own taste. I wouldn't tell someone not to buy Creeds if it makes them happy. Have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Creed is like Apple products.
    This is true for someone that either loves both, or thinks both are overhyped and overpriced. I'm one of each.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The idea of limiting oneself to a single house is kind of sad, really. It suggests the name Creed is more important than what your own nose smells. I like Creed. Creed makes some excellent scents, but so do many other houses.
    This is basically my thoughts exactly.

Creed is just a name and there is no point liking a name because they made a fragrance you've worn since it came out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    And Luca Turin is Satan, perhaps?
    LMFAO !

I'm with him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    Very silly thread
    The latest in a long line of very silly Creed threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xerbia View Post
    I always chuckle when people say Creed is bad or just plain boring. You guys know deep down that most Creeds do in fact smell good. I understand how some people want to venture off far into unheard of niche fragrances to smell different, even if it means smelling like cat litter and baby diapers, but in reality Creed is top notch.
    They are boring though...and I think if you did actually explore around more you would find better instead of limiting yourself to one house. Also, cat litter and baby diapers? I don't think you've actually smelled anything from another house have you...

Boring isn't always bad either, I have 4 Creed's and I think of them as some high quality boring stuff that I use when I don't feel like picking something that excites me.

Anyways, my point is they are not "top notch" especially in the fragrance world, they rank slightly above any given designer scent most of the time with me. From their made up back story to the whole image they project, they are all for show.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Low quality products and gimmicky marketing plan. I don't even care to sample Creed let alone owning them with such price for such low quality and the rant about natural product.
    I can understand the moot point about the marketing but to say the quality is low and then say you've not even bothered to sample them is quite self defeating.

I don't see how anyone who's remotely impartial can even argue about the quality of scents like Windsor, Vintage Tab, Selection Verte, Cypres-Musc and Angelique Encens.

These topics would be alot less gimmicky if people actually bothered to try fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, wonderful and unique house, with some the greatest fragrances of all times and some that are pretty average on my skin - but there is more than Creed out there....really, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I can understand the moot point about the marketing but to say the quality is low and then say you've not even bothered to sample them is quite self defeating.

I don't see how anyone who's remotely impartial can even argue about the quality of scents like Windsor, Vintage Tab, Selection Verte, Cypres-Musc and Angelique Encens.

These topics would be alot less gimmicky if people actually bothered to try fragrances.
    Yes. Very well said.

And simply put: for pure smell, in my opinion, Creed has more scents I like than any other house. WAY more.

But Creed's insipid production variations , high prices, and general longevity issues for some of its scents will always keep Creed from dominating my lineup. And the cutesy gimmicky fakey marketing has become mildly irritating as time has gone on. So much less interesting to me than if Creed just junked the winks and said, "Here's our true history. It's pretty interesting how we developed these scents, even if they weren't for freakin' George III."

Hey, I just hit 1,000 posts. Figures it would be a post about Creed.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If only every person on earth could have a bottle of Aventus...

Image a world without war, hunger and poverty.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking of selling most of my collection and doing this.
    I don't get it, from some of the responses, I am now believing that my reading comprehension level is indeed low. The OP's post, especially the statement above, signifies to me a couple things; that he has explored other fragrances from different houses and actually owns some and that in addition to the Creeds he wants, will actually only sell MOST of his collection and maintain some of the others. It does not signify that he has limited himself, but rather that he has ventured elsewhere and has found that a collection centered around Creed, with some others, will satisfy his fragrant needs. I don't see any problem with that, in fact, with regard EDT/EDPs my small wardrobe is one house heavy after sampling, owning, selling and dashing offerings from many, many different houses.
    Last edited by PEARL; 5th February 2013 at 04:41 PM.

If they have a decent quality control system then people won't be worrying about being victims of bad batches from Creed. Do you know that other houses like Amouage, Le Labo, etc will send you a replace bottle if you complain about the quality of their juice? Take that complain to Creed and I bet they say that it is because of the "natural ingredients" and it's your bad luck so deal with it. That's my point when I say the quality of their products is low

If they have a decent quality control system then people won't be worrying about being victims of bad batches from Creed. Do you know that other houses like Amouage, Le Labo, etc will send you a replace bottle if you complain about the quality of their juice? Take that complain to Creed and I bet they say that it is because of the "natural ingredients" and it's your bad luck so deal with it. That's my point when I say the quality of their products is low
    I think I'd probably say the quality of their products is high, but the quality of their production is low. Perhaps a small difference, but it conveys my meaning.

And I totally agree that Creed seems to try and mask the production issues by invoking the nonsynthetic nature of its ingredients, while other houses seem to have at least as many natural-smelling scents and suffer few production quirks.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I think I'd probably say the quality of their products is high, but the quality of their production is low. Perhaps a small difference, but it conveys my meaning.
    Don't you think separating product and production sounds like an excuse since to me it all comes down to what the consumers receive in the end

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post

And I totally agree that Creed seems to try and mask the production issues by invoking the nonsynthetic nature of its ingredients, while other houses seem to have at least as many natural-smelling scents and suffer few production quirks.
    Quite true.

If people spent 5 minutes reading the forum and immediately understood the whole batch situation is blown massively out of proportion (ie there's one bad Aventus batch from back in 2010 and you should avoid MI and GIT made in 2010) then they wouldn't even have a problem.

The reality is anyone buying a Creed throughout 2011-2012 won't have had a single issue, Plus anything 2009 and below will be fine too.

But its funny how a certain group of people who don't even try Creed want to continue with the impression that the 'bad quality control' is still an ongoing thing when in reality its not even remotely accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

OP has taken a beating, but I agree with him. The same thought has actually crossed my mind. I'm the only person I have ever smelled Creed on, so it's unique and quite wide in scope. I could live with it quite easily. Give me YSL and Dior, as well and I'm definitely good. Top 3 houses for me, but Creed is my Daddy.

Don't you think separating product and production sounds like an excuse since to me it all comes down to what the consumers receive in the end
    No, I don't.

First of all, I'm not making excuses. I've gone on record, many times, as sharply criticizing Creed's production issues. I think it's a major problem that causes me to have a lower opinion of Creed, and at its core it's vaguely insulting to the consumer for Creed to deny that it, alone among major houses, has a production quality control problem.

Second, what customers are getting is an admittedly high quality product. Whether I particularly like a certain batch of Millesime Imperial or not, I can't deny that the ingredients that went into the product are high quality. I also realize that some people like certain batch characteristics, while others like different ones; there are, for example, those that like the smokier Aventus batches, while the majority seem to like the more fruity smelling ones.

The problem, again, is not that consumers are not getting a high quality product. It's that consumers are getting a product that is not consistent in its smell, when consistency of smell is critical in the perfume industry.

At least that's my take on the dead horse that is Creed's batch variations.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    No. Love is all you need.
    In White? In Black?

Inquiring noses want to know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    In White? In Black?

Inquiring noses want to know
    You caught me there, LOL!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

If all you had were the popular Creed scents, not only would you have enough cologne for every season, but also any occasion.

Aventus
    GIT
    SMW
    MI
    OS
    OV
    Himalaya
    Virgin Island Water
    Royal Oud

If these were the only fragrances you owned, you would be swimming in compliments, and still manage to smell different from most. You could get a bottle of each for a little over 1k$ and would be set for quite awhile. I've been thinking of selling most of my collection and doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I might be in the minority here but I find GIT to be very boring. I enjoy Aventus all year round, Virgin Island Water in the summer, Bois du Portugal in the fall, Spice and Wood in the winter and Himalaya in the spring.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

Its funny you should say that, because i wore half of my sample of GIT yesterday. I thought to myself something similar. Its a very safe scent, unoffensive.

I remember smelling Cool Water when it first came out and it was kind of groundbreaking at the time, but theres not going to be any suprise in that style of scent in 2013, we have to be realistic.

Im not sure i would pay retail for GIT, maybe for nostalgias sake as i never did own Cool Water at the height of its popularity, but its a very expensive investment for such a regular generic scent that were all accustomed to, and im sure if you spoke to many people theyd say theyve smelt Cool Water so much in the last 30 years that there actually sick of that scent now.

CologneFan85

No not really...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I think the OP's sentiments are correct in as much as you could also say I could live the rest of my life without wearing any fragrance, or I could stay in the same job or just eat baked beans - I'd survive. I like fragrances, so why would I limit myself to just one ok house??
    If you just ate baked beans you might need an awful lot more Creed.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Creed. There hasn't been but maybe 1-2 scents of theirs that I haven't liked. They are well made. But the reality is that they all aren't for me and I don't want to spend that much. I just tried Aventus for a week and though it had great longevity and quality I'd had enough pineapple to last me a year. Overall for me it is "do I really need that" when I can smell just as good with TdH or some designers. Most of the time the answer is no.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Honestly, if I only had to pick 1 house to wear for the rest of my life, it would be Creed.
    Exactly this.
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL! At least proposal that started this thread certainly makes it seem that way..
    ; )
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    of all my Creeds, Bois de Portugal; GIT and Aventus will be finished and bought again...
    Have only smelled Aventus on a tester strip, but agree with you on the other two.

If people spent 5 minutes reading the forum and immediately understood the whole batch situation is blown massively out of proportion (ie there's one bad Aventus batch from back in 2010 and you should avoid MI and GIT made in 2010) then they wouldn't even have a problem.

The reality is anyone buying a Creed throughout 2011-2012 won't have had a single issue, Plus anything 2009 and below will be fine too.

But its funny how a certain group of people who don't even try Creed want to continue with the impression that the 'bad quality control' is still an ongoing thing when in reality its not even remotely accurate.
    I don't think this is a perfectly fair appraisal. Creed makes my favorite scents, and unlike the people you complain about I have tried 80% or more of Creed's current scents. I have more bottles of Creeds in my collection than any other house, and wear (and recommend) Creeds more often than any other house, too. While I can't speak to Aventus since I just don't like that particular fragrance, here's where we diverge.

You say people should "avoid MI and GIT made in 2010," which pretty much indicates that they was something wrong then. I agree, from what I remember, that those batches smelled pretty poor. But even since that time, I've found different batches from 2011 smell different -- some MI, for example, smell very salty, while others are very melony. Now, I'm not saying any are bad, and I'd wear all of them happily. My point is simply that the smell isn't consistent. Could my nose be playing tricks on me? Sure. Could I be reading about Creed's production issues, and then my brain subconsciously tells my nose that it's true? Also a possibility. I'm not as experienced as most of the people on this board, and certainly not as experienced as you.

Production variability does not mean the bottles smell bad, just that they're not consistent. And lack of consistency, to me, equates to "poor quality control," since Creed is the only major house that seems to have a lack of consistency. And the definitive proof is this: even Creed admits that different bottles smell different, though it says the variable smells are due to the percentage of natural ingredients. So, if you don't buy that explanation, you can't say that production issues are all just a dead letter.

I'm not being critical of your opinion, but just wanted to point out that even those of us who love and buy MI and GIT may wish every single bottle smelled like every other bottle, which does not seem to be the case, even now.
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 7th February 2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

You could say the same thing about any house now that I think of it.

YSL..you have L'Homme, Rice Gauche, Opium, M7 and many endless flankers fit for summer, spring, winter, and fall!

Chanel..Bleu, Egoiste, Pour Monsieur Concentree, Allure..again, something for every occasion!

Dior..Fahrenheit, Dune, Dior Homme, Eau Savage..breakfast, lunch & dinner!

Why limit yourself?
    ..On the other hand, Creeds all lined up front-to-back on your shelf can look quite charming.

Post Thanks / Like

After thinking about the premise of this thread, I decided, if I could have the full line up from any one house only (on both sides of the gender marketing of course), I'd probably go for Amouage as my first choice (all attars and womens' line perfume extraits certainly included), and I could get them all for only like $15,000 or so. I'd only have to sell almost all of my current collection, my motorcycle, and mostly everything else I own to afford it though. My second choices might be Malle, Lutens, or Guerlain.

OP I would assume would go Creed.

How about the rest of you?

How would you hypothetically fill in "__________ is all you need"? (If you just had to take one house)
    Last edited by Partario; 8th February 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    After thinking about the premise of this thread, I decided, if I could have the full line up from any one house only (on both sides of the gender marketing of course), I'd probably go for Amouage as my first choice (all attars and womens' line perfume extraits certainly included), and I could get them all for only like $15,000 or so. I'd only have to sell almost all of my current collection, my motorcycle, and mostly everything else I own. My second choices might be Malle, Lutens, or Guerlain.

How would hypothetically fill in "__________ is all you need"? (If you just had to take one house)
    Good question!

I'd choose Histories De Parfum, Frederick Malle, Guerlain, Amouage, Tom Ford, Serge Lutens, Hermes - yep I think I could get by with just that one... Could probably live without Creed...

Creed would be my pick if I were confined to one house.

But I could happily be confined to scents from Hermes or Tom Ford. I think I like a higher percentage of Hermes scents than any other house, and while Tom Ford has some hits and misses, his hits are all home runs, and there's a lot of diversity there.

Hmmm...I think I could live with nothing but Chanel, too. Lutens comes close, but I'd bet eventually there'd be an occasion where I just couldn't find a "perfect" Lutens scent.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

How would hypothetically fill in "__________ is all you need"? (If you just had to take one house)
    I definitely would never want to only go with one house as I like or love fragrances from tens, maybe even hundreds of them. That said, if I had to pick only one, it most likely would be either EdP Frederic Malle or Mona di Orio.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

After thinking about the premise of this thread, I decided, if I could have the full line up from any one house only (on both sides of the gender marketing of course), I'd probably go for Amouage as my first choice (all attars and womens' line perfume extraits certainly included), and I could get them all for only like $15,000 or so. I'd only have to sell almost all of my current collection, my motorcycle, and mostly everything else I own. My second choices might be Malle, Lutens, or Guerlain.

How would you hypothetically fill in "__________ is all you need"? (If you just had to take one house)
    Guerlain, of course. With few regrets. In fact, if so had to choose between Guerlain and everything else together, I'd still choose Guerlain.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

After thinking about the premise of this thread, I decided, if I could have the full line up from any one house only (on both sides of the gender marketing of course), I'd probably go for Amouage as my first choice (all attars and womens' line perfume extraits certainly included), and I could get them all for only like $15,000 or so. I'd only have to sell almost all of my current collection, my motorcycle, and mostly everything else I own to afford it though. My second choices might be Malle, Lutens, or Guerlain.

Serge Lutens I think would probably fit everything I'd need...but ONLY if I had to.

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a bottle of each for a little over 1k$
    You could just buy a hat with 'I am wealthy' written on it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I loooooove this thread!
    I feel so good right now I'm jonesin' for something,anything about Aventus.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If I coud only own fragrances from one house, it would certainly be Creed.
    I concur.

I agree, both high quality, respected brands, that have kept their customers happy for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Honestly, if I only had to pick 1 house to wear for the rest of my life, it would be Creed.
    Again, I must agree.

I like many other fragrances outside of the Creed line, however, my favorite 4 fragrances are; Creed Millesime 1849, Creed Aventus, Creed Green Irish Tweed, and Creed Royal Oud.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

creed is good but mancera is better .

Bowdown to the perfume house since 1760, composed by the magical hands of marketing
    - Oliver Creed

Music while spraying your favorite creed

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mancera cedrat boise is better is what i was ment to say . lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
    I concur.
    I agree, both high quality, respected brands, that have kept their customers happy for a very long time.
    Again, I must agree.
    I like many other fragrances outside of the Creed line, however, my favorite 4 fragrances are; Creed Millesime 1849, Creed Aventus, Creed Green Irish Tweed, and Creed Royal Oud.
    Thanks for reviving an old thread by a guy (Xerbia) that was proven to be a troll here, and when he was "outed," he bailed pretty fast from BN. Though I'm sure you weren't aware of this.
    So I wouldn't take the original post too seriously.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Thanks for reviving an old thread by a guy (Xerbia) that was proven to be a troll here, and when he was "outed," he bailed pretty fast from BN.
    So I wouldn't take the original post too seriously.
    I'm not sure why this is happening, but I've counted seven old Creed threads getting revived today as well as a handful of new Aventus threads popping up. It's not the end of the world, but still!

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    For colder weather you need more powerful scents. I think Dior has the ultimate and most versatile lineup
    This would be the ultimate combo IMO if I could only choose one niche house, one designer and cover hot and cold weather.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Avignon_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Lumiere Noire_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio

Post Thanks / Like

If you include the "older" fragrances, Creed does have a wide breadth of styles though the newer fragrances certainly leave something to be desired.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'm not sure why this is happening, but I've counted seven old Creed threads getting revived today as well as a handful of new Aventus threads popping up. It's not the end of the world, but still!
    New Creed thread bumper in town.
    Just what the forums need