Code of Conduct

Default Wonderful smoke tincture: DIY

I'd like to share this neat 'macerating' trick to obtain a wonderful smokey scent.

I've been long time searching to obtain a true smoke scent of burnt frankincense, woods and resins, mixing aroma chemicals and oils like Castoreum, Oudh blends, Oriniff and stuff like that. I wasn't able to create this truly balanced, deep, smokey but sweet burned effect. Until i tried the following.

All you need is:

- an incense burner (charcoal type)
    - a plate
    - a bottle (about 10 ml)
    - a (glass) bowl, which fits the plate upside down and gives room to the incense burner
    - incense (pellets, i used the stuff catholic churches use)
    - fractionated coconut oil (probably solid at room temperature) (about 1 ml)
    - perfumers alcohol (about 15 ml, in a spray works best)

Working instructions:

- make a layer of coconut oil inside the bowl
    - place the incense burner on the plate
    - burn the incense
    - place the bowl upside down on the plate
    - every now and then lift the bowl a bit, so fresh oxygen can get in
    - if the top of the bowl gets warm, or the coconut oil melts to much, cool down the outside now and then under running tap water
    - let this process continue for about 15 minutes, maybe adding some more incense (i used only about 6 pellets)
    - before the bowl cools down, spray the inside with about 12 to 15 ml of alcohol (a part will evaporate); it will dissolve the coconut oil, running down the bowl
    - put the alcohol and coconut oil mixture in a bottle (this is probably about 10 ml now)
    - best kept at about 30 degrees Celsius, shaken every day for about 3 months (but trust me, after a day or so you can already smell the beauty!); it will mature and show all the beautiful details over time
    - eventually filtrate and use!

I'm definitely going to give it a try in this formulation.

Happy perfuming!

Jeroen.

Default Re: Wonderful smoke tincture: DIY

Hi Jeroen,

Interesting, I may give this a try.
    Have you tried the Biolandes speciality called Hydrocarboresine?
    This has an amazing smell of burnt incense - worth a try.

Hi Mark,

That seems like a nice website, did not know them. Although can't find the Hydrocarboresine on their site, and even google has some difficulties finding it ;-) Probably they don't ship it anymore?
    Best regards!

Jeroen.

I forgot that they don't have their specialities on the website.
    Get in contact with them and ask about it - I have no idea how Hydrocarboresine is made, but it is sooo good.

This sounds excellent Jeroen. What's the strength and projection like of the finished tincture?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hard to say what the projection is... on a blotter strip i can hold it easily 50 centimeters from my nose and smell it. It's strength is quite hefty after one go. However, nothing wrong with folding the dilution over and over (i.e. use the matured tincture for a second or even 3th time, to dissolve a new layer of coconut oil after it has absorbed new burnt frankincense) to obtain a stronger scent.

I do not need a stronger version; in my compositions i use about 1 to 5 drops of the original 10 ml of tincture in formulations that eventually lead to about 50 ml of EDP. It does it's trick quietly, isn't overwhelming like Castoreum tends to do and seems to smooth out other ingredients. A bit like ambergris does affect a composition, but this acts in the playing field of smoke, tar, ashes and resins.
    Last edited by jsparla; 4th February 2013 at 11:47 AM.

I love projects such as the one you described. Please tell us how it works out once it has matured sufficiently.

HI Jeroen !

That sounds really interesting, i ll try this as well ! I have everything at home and im searching for an incence smoke accord for ages, thanks for sharing !

Btw i guess you can expand this with other resins or woods as an experiment, this opens unimagined possibilities !

Conni
    Last edited by Conni HD; 4th February 2013 at 10:34 PM.

Hi Conni,

yes, so true, i've different kinds of frankincense pellets and different leftovers (woods and resins) from a DIY incense kit. I'm going to mix and match too Let me know your experiences!
    I bought some raw materials at http://www.wierook.org, it's in Dutch, but i think you will manage Otherwise you could use google translate on the site. Don't know if they ship international but the service from Vicky is E X C E L L E N T, fast, and good quality products.

Good for you for learning this little trick...It's always fun to experiment with these things and learn from them...
    And it's a good way to get the Incense smokey odor profile if you can't get it another way...

You're using the ol' noggin there...

Jolly Good! :-) Sorry for mixing the American and British colloquialisms...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Hahaha Paul, that's what this DIY forum is all about: to share, care and learn