Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Fragrances that took a little while to warm up to

What are some fragrances that took you a little while to warm up to? Either from hate to like or from indifferent/unsure to like/love?

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather: The raspberry was too sweet to my nose at first. It drew all of my attention to it, and I just didn't enjoy it. I kept my sample around, and I just could not stop smelling it periodically for some reason. One day, it clicked. The smoothness of the leather paired with the raspberry I now find to be wonderful! The smokiness of the fragrances dissipates quite quickly too, which is a plus.

By Kilian Straight to Heaven: At first the creamy, boozy vibe was off-putting, but again, I just kept coming back to my sample. One day I realized that this is really nice! I want in a split of this stuff!

Le Labo Neroli 36: I didn't dislike this at first, but wrote it off as a feminine white floral. I sprayed it again the other day, and really enjoy how delicate it is.

Creed Spice and Wood: When I first sniffed it, holy hell, CEDAR BOMB in my face. But I applied some to my skin, and as it settled that wonderful apple became more prevalent, and I fell in love. One of my absolute all-time favorites now.

Creed Asian Green Tea: Upon first sniff, it was really sweet and not what I was expecting. The citrus in this is ULTRA bright and tart. I was thrown off by the opening. After a few applications though and waiting for the nice, gentle tea to peek its head up, I "got" it. Now I really enjoy the sweetness and that bright citrus. Makes me feel good when I smell it. The sweetness does calm down in the dry down though, which is good because it would be a bit much if it didn't.

Creed Cedre Blanc: First stiff, smelled galbanum, "dammit!". I immediately wrote it off. My nose took quite some time to become accustomed to this note, but it eventually came around. Now I really love Cedre Blanc. The nice, crisp green opening on top of the woods and the sweet cardamom is really good. The galbanum recedes after a bit, and you're left with a soft, semi-sweet, somewhat creamy woody scent. The cedar and sandalwood combo in this is just damn good, really really good, and the vetiver is added just for a little bit of that vetiver "texture".

Also, I'm coming around to either Tom Ford Noir or Noir de Noir. This sample is not labeled, and I can't remember which it is!

Default Re: Fragrances that took a little while to warm up to

A*Men - tried it when I was first getting into fragrances, and really didn't like it. Had never smelled anything like it.

Dior Leather Oud - tried it as I was just getting into niche fragrances. Was waaay too dirty for me at that time, but now I own and love it.

Basenotes Junkie superfluousPastry's Avatar
    Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

When I first got Guerlain's Vetiver I was a bit disappointed because after reading so many reviews I developed a preconceived notion of what I thought it was going to smell like. My first few wearings of it I though "is that all there is?" ...then when I allowed it to be what it was and opened myself up to the complexity of notes, the artistry with which it was blended and the sense of tranquility it imparted in my mind, I was in awe. Now I can't imagine life without it. I bought a 100ml bottle and have only used about 2 ml at this point but I already have my eye on a 200 ml back up bottle.
    Teach him to play Monopoly, not to sing in the rain. - Ian Anderson

White people problem #8,329: "Trolls are making fun of my favorite perfume house on the internet!"

A Taste Of Heaven-By Kilian
    Invasion Barbare-MDCI
    Eau Noire-Christian Dior
    Black Line-Mancera

I am in love with all of them now but it definitely wasn't love at first sniff with these.

I don't have one, either I like it or not the first I try .

White aoud Montale when I first sampled it I got a very medicinal vibe that scared me away for a while and eventually my sample came back out of the drawer for another try and the second time I really enjoyed it. Don't write anything off until you've tried it two or three different wearings. That is unless it's one that makes you gag at first wearing... Then I guess you can write it off

Quote Originally Posted by ladida View Post
    You're missing out on some great frags by dismissing them on first impressions. Your nose evolves the more frags you smell & some frags just need a little time to warm up. Some of my all time favorites started out i couldn't stand them (dior homme, dior homme intense, a*men, etc..) Trust me go back to one's you didn't like and give them another try.. you may just be surprised.
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 12th February 2015 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    What are some fragrances that took you a little while to warm up to?
    Sevigne #2 & Insolite
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    You're missing out on some great frags by dismissing them on first impressions. Your nose evolves the more frags you smell & some frags just need a little time to warm up. Some of my all time favorites started out i couldn't stand them (dior homme, dior homme intense, a*men, rose31, etc..) Trust me go back to one's you didn't like and give them another try.. you may just be surprised.
    I meant to say I don't need to sample more, it won't grow on me regardless. A*Men, Dior Homme, and Dior Homme Intense are all my favorite on my first try.

Many of my personal favourite started as "ok" or disliked one weirdly! I'll take about 2 because they went from dislikes to being within my top 2-3 or 5 all time favourite ones.

- M7: I was "warned" by online reviews that the opening was not for everyone to say the least. And I really disliked it. But when I got used to the dry-down oh my!!! MA-JOR love! Maybe my all time favourite! Thank "God" I give it time! And now this is my "odour", "scent". The smell by which I'm "recognized" by my closed ones.

- Terre d'Hermes: One of my frag ladies didn't even want to let me grab the bottle! She was telling me it was too "old" for me and that I was still 15-20 years too young lol. First time I did find it too mature/old for me and too woody and "cleaner product" like... Thankfully I gave it more than one chance, tried it seriously on my skin twice and realized that once on my skin it's really not offensive, not as woody, it calms down and it's just amazing!

You're missing out on some great frags by dismissing them on first impressions. Your nose evolves the more frags you smell & some frags just need a little time to warm up. Some of my all time favorites started out i couldn't stand them (dior homme, dior homme intense, a*men, etc..) Trust me go back to one's you didn't like and give them another try.. you may just be surprised.
    You beat me to the punch! Ladida is most probably passing on fragrances that could have become major loved ones!
    Last edited by Detox; 12th February 2015 at 04:34 AM.
    ¤¤ Let's create another Creed thread! ¤¤
    ¤¤ Everytime you talk about batches or reformulations, "God" kills a child. Please think of the children.
    http://www.applepiebrigade.org/wp-co...09/sad-kid.jpg ¤¤

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    You beat me to the punch! Ladida is most probably passing on fragrances that could have become major loved ones!
    Major loved ones for somebody but not for me.

Perhaps YSL Jazz.

Puredistance M. I could only stand it for about 2 or 3 hours the first time i wore it before washing it off. I have worn it a handful of times since then and sort of like it, but still don't love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    - Terre d'Hermes: One of my frag ladies didn't even want to let me grab the bottle! She was telling me it was too "old" for me and that I was still 15-20 years too young lol. First time I did find it too mature/old for me and too woody and "cleaner product" like... Thankfully I gave it more than one chance, tried it seriously on my skin twice and realized that once on my skin it's really not offensive, not as woody, it calms down and it's just amazing!
    This is one I did a complete 360 on. At first, I couldn't stand it. BUT...hearing how "everybody in the online fragrance community" loves it...I decided to try it, and try it some more. After several wearings, I decided "OK...I'll buy a bottle". Big mistake. Not only did I not grow to love it...the more I wore it, the more I grew to dislike it. It's quality juice, I just didn't care for the scent. And the scent is what it's all about. It doesn't matter what reputation the house has, or who the perfumer is, or the quality of the ingredients used...if the scent doesn't agree with the wearer, then he needs to wear something else. So I sold my bottle.

P.S. - I had more negative comments from women with this one than with any fragrance I have ever worn in my life. And that includes several "middle age" sales associates at Sephora....so be sure to tell your "lady friend" that it has nothing to do with age.

All the Guerlains and Chanels took me ages to appreciate. Because they were so much more complex (as a general rule) and layered than the shite like Eternity.

Joop! Homme
    Guerlain Heritage
    Lagerfeld Photo - among many, many others

for me its Neroli Portofino.. hated it at first but the more i try the more i like

Tuscan Leather for me, it was not an immediate hit, but now I love it.

I am also leaning the same way with Neroli Portofino, hated it the first couple of times, but I am warming up to it at the moment. I think this may be due to a slight change in the weather.
    "I have to return some videotapes"

Rive Gauche Pour Homme and by extension Azzaro Pour Homme. I have love/hate relationships with both.

75% of the time they are perfection, some of the greatest fragrance, the remaining 25% of the time they can be grating. I keep bottles of both as I like them most of the time, but they can be difficult for me to appreciate.

Dior Homme Intense took me some time to warm up to. It's one of my favorites now, but it wasn't instant gratification by any means.

creed millesime imperial hated the melon note and smelled like rotting fruits to me found it very synthetic. Now i love it weird how different scents grow on me with time

I'm sure within the first few minutes -- a bit like music.

Only once have I flipped -- Orange Star by Tauer

Declaration Essence I judged prematurely as I could not help comparing it to the original. I will have to alter my review as it is good on it's own merits and does last longer than I initially thought.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Basenotes Plus

Roja Parfums Diaghilev. I couldn't appreciate it, now I realise what a masterpiece it is and love it.

B*Men. After a few wearings I appreciated it a little better.

Montale Cuir d'Arabie - I was shocked initially & it took me about 6-7 wears before I got comfortable...Weather was the key - I wear this only when it's cold & with very little sunshine - the heat from the sun even on a cold Canadian winter day sparks off a huge silage & projection that just envelops u & other around...

Basenotes Plus

1. Tuscan Leather - Couldn't understand why this would be liked. Came around to it, and it's now one of my favorite scents by far.

2. Original Santal - Hated the open. Still not a big fan of it, but the dry down I now find wonderful.

3. Heeley - Menthe Fraiche - I've been testing this on my arm for a while, and it's really starting to grow on me. Had it on last night and thought to myself, this might just be my next bottle purchase. Initially I wasn't a fan of the mint gum vibe in the open, and the dry down came off feminine to me. I now love both

4. MFK Amyris - I didn't like any of the line from my initial sampling. Repeatedly tried both APOM and Amyris, with Amyris becoming something I've grown to enjoy. I don't know if I consider it FBW yet, but I've grown from not liking to liking. Whereas APOM is a scrubber for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aromaphile View Post
    All the Guerlains and Chanels took me ages to appreciate. Because they were so much more complex (as a general rule) and layered than the shite like Eternity.
    Happened to me with most of the Guerlains especially...

Quote Originally Posted by superfluousPastry View Post
    When I first got Guerlain's Vetiver I was a bit disappointed because after reading so many reviews I developed a preconceived notion of what I thought it was going to smell like. My first few wearings of it I though "is that all there is?" ...then when I allowed it to be what it was and opened myself up to the complexity of notes, the artistry with which it was blended and the sense of tranquility it imparted in my mind, I was in awe. Now I can't imagine life without it. I bought a 100ml bottle and have only used about 2 ml at this point but I already have my eye on a 200 ml back up bottle.
    With Guerlain Vetiver I hated it at first (thought that it smelled like an old folks retirement home full of dying old men!) - I know, terrible impression. But now I love it and would never be without it. Habit Rouge reminded me of powdered wigs and old, stale makeup for old ladies. Shalimar and Jicky smelled of urine etc. But I now love each and every single one! Masterpieces in every way!

Also, I want to mention that sometimes hearing someones opinion on something you love can change it. For example, Dior Homme, which I loved and is my signiature. People kept saying "lipstick". So when I smelled it again, I got lipstick. It took me a while to remove this association from my head. Also Aqua di Parma's "Mandorlo di Sicilia", I thought it smelled of cappuccino's and amaretti biscuits. Then somebody mentioned that it smelled like "bubblegum". After that all I could smell was bubblegum! In fact I gave it away! Then a year later I smelled it again and fell in love all over again and bought it. So it's not easy sometimes.

Don't remember ever doing a complete 180°, but I am coming around a little on these:

YSL Rive Gauche - Blind bought the tin can a few years ago. Smelled like Barbasol. Was not impressed. Had it up for sale for about 6 months. Took it down. Wore it twice since then. Still not a love, but I think it just might be growing on me.

Amouage Interlude Man - Still not a fan because I still (and probably always will) think the oregano is way too much - and completely unnecessary. But the wife loves it on me, and I don't hate it as much as I originally did. Another almost for Amouage. It's been their pattern lately - take a great composition, then amp up a single odd note to make it "edgy", and in the process, ruin it.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. Brückner - Aoud 1

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

Amouage Interlude Man - Still not a fan because I still (and probably always will) think the oregano is way too much - and completely unnecessary. But the wife loves it on me, and I don't hate it as much as I originally did. Another almost for Amouage. It's been their pattern lately - take a great composition, then amp up a single odd note to make it "edgy", and in the process, ruin it.
    I've noticed many niche houses do just this. They have to add that one thing to make it "interesting" and end up making it worse.

The skanks, MKK and Leather Oud. Got in on a split of both and regretted it. Now, having worn them many times and picking up on the nuances, they rank as some of my favorites. Also true of Spice and Wood. It wasn't so much the wood or anything that was overwhelming, just seemed so boring at first. Over time I have learned to appreciate some of it's subtleties as strengths, and just wore it yesterday and loved it.

I'm working on another right now, House of Matriarchs Blackbird. My first wearing I didn't like it very much, trying again today. So far, not impressed which is a good thing for my wallet!
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Bleu de Chanel. It was a torrid love affair; on and off again. All my previous bottle were made in the UK or somewhere, but then I decided to give it another go. Thankfully fate would have it that picked up a made in France bottle and what a difference that was. It's so lively and fresh while true to its name. It's getting heavy use.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Bleu de Chanel. It was a torrid love affair; on and off again. All my previous bottle were made in the UK or somewhere, but then I decided to give it another go. Thankfully fate would have it that picked up a made in France bottle and what a difference that was. It's so lively and fresh while true to its name. It's getting heavy use.
    Interesting. I give Bleu a try every couple months to see if I like it any more, but I never do. I wasn't aware there were variation differences like this.

Was it the EDT or EDP version?

Tom Ford Sahara Noir. I made the mistake of trying this out while among other fragrances at Nordstrom. My girlfriend was spritzing away and all of the aroma chemicals began their nauseating effects on me. I quickly dismissed Sahara Noir, now I have two bottles after returning tot he sample I brought home from Nordstrom that day. Glad I packaged up a 2ml sample for the road. I would have missed out on one of the better incense releases in some time.
    MadHat Scents

Lavhim (***ALMOST GONE Only 150ml Remaining***) (Frankincense-Lavender-Green Birch Leaves) / Jour et la Nuit (Only 165ml Remaining) (Animalic-Chypre-Blood Orange-Smoky) / Embers (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins)

Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post
    Interesting. I give Bleu a try every couple months to see if I like it any more, but I never do. I wasn't aware there were variation differences like this.

Was it the EDT or EDP version?
    It's the EDT. I got the 5 oz bottle at Sephora. I had previously gotten it from Macy's. I keep smelling myself and it's purely divine. My bottle is magical. Definitely look on the back of the box and only go for the made in France.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Fahrenheit - This was a very noticable frag right off the bat. My first experience with this one was unpleasant. The petrol/fuel smell really got me on the first testing. It did make an impression though. I kept coming back to it again and again.

A*Men - This was a very heavy and strong frag and I didn't like it on the first try. It also left an impression on me and I kept wanting to try it again.

One Million - My first test left me with a negative impression, but I kept going back. After having this one for a few years - I still like it, but it isn't one of my favorites.

Le'Male - My first test left me with a negative impression, but I kept going back. This is still one my favorites after having it for many years. It is a very nice frag if you go easy and don't overdue it.

Confirous perfumes (pine/menthol).

At first, they smelled like tiger balm / Vicks.

Now I love Granville, Blenheim Bouquet & others.

But I always loved Polo for some reason.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

It's the EDT. I got the 5 oz bottle at Sephora. I had previously gotten it from Macy's. I keep smelling myself and it's purely divine. My bottle is magical. Definitely look on the back of the box and only go for the made in France.
    You've given me a mission this weekend! Find the "Made in France" BDC!

Going to hit the mall after work actuallly, since it's on the way, and see what I can find!

A*Men.

Hated it. Good lord, why would anybody want to smell like that? YUCK! ...and yet... something kept calling me back to try it again. Good lord, what a fantastic scent. And that base... oh, it's fantastic. I haven't bought a bottle yet, but I probably will at some point. I'm mostly just debating between the original and Pure Malt. The opening of A*Men strikes the right balance for me between being challenging and compelling. I like the opening so long as it's brief, but I love the drydown and am glad it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by ladida View Post
    This!

Some of my favorite scents are ones that I didn't like on first sniff.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Definitely TdH. Right after joining I tried it and thought "WT hell?" Too strong and something was off to me. This happened repeatedly over about a 2 year span. One very cold day I couldn't get the "woods" of TdH out of my head. I left work, drove to a store and put some on right then and was hooked. Have worn it ever since.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I'll add to more coming to my mind:

- A*Men: Hated it in the beginning! Especially the TAR note! But now I love it and it may very well be the TAR note that makes me love it this much! I'm sad it calms down in the dry down! Kind of a bad ass dark gourmand

- Valentino Uomo: Didn't like it nor hate it in the beginning. Was just indifferent. But now I'm really enjoying it!!! Kind of a more wearable DHI and an in between DHI and DH! The best of both worlds and my favourite of the 3 now. It's like Valentino asked Dior Homme's creator to take his creation, DH, and make his own take on what DHI, or a warmer more sensual DH should be! Love it! Classy gourmand for real men who don't need their scent to scream their presence.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    This is one I did a complete 360 on. At first, I couldn't stand it. BUT...hearing how "everybody in the online fragrance community" loves it...I decided to try it, and try it some more. After several wearings, I decided "OK...I'll buy a bottle". Big mistake. Not only did I not grow to love it...the more I wore it, the more I grew to dislike it. It's quality juice, I just didn't care for the scent. And the scent is what it's all about. It doesn't matter what reputation the house has, or who the perfumer is, or the quality of the ingredients used...if the scent doesn't agree with the wearer, then he needs to wear something else. So I sold my bottle.

P.S. - I had more negative comments from women with this one than with any fragrance I have ever worn in my life. And that includes several "middle age" sales associates at Sephora....so be sure to tell your "lady friend" that it has nothing to do with age.
    I never force myself into liking or loving a scent because it's very popular online! But sorry for your bad experience with TdH.

"if the scent doesn't agree with the wearer, then he needs to wear something else" Could not agree more!

"so be sure to tell your "lady friend" that it has nothing to do with age." She's not my friend! She owns a successful/well known specialized frag store in my area! And since I'M a very good and loyal customer, and because she is really nice and funny, we're often playing around and there is no "Sir", "Miss" between us. She didn't want to let me smell Kouros either lol. She was saying she was valuing me as a customer too much, and (In her opinion) I'm too much of a good/classy looking man, to let me go away while smelling like a stinky wet dog lol. So it's just the way we talk to each other. And she is actually excellent in what she does! And just like her I'm part of the ones who see age in scents... So it's matter of opinion.
    Last edited by Detox; 13th February 2015 at 02:52 AM.
    ¤¤ Let's create another Creed thread! ¤¤
    ¤¤ Everytime you talk about batches or reformulations, "God" kills a child. Please think of the children.
    http://www.applepiebrigade.org/wp-co...09/sad-kid.jpg ¤¤

What about sycomore? I bought it today and hope it grows on me

I have the big bottle of EDP and mine is made in france. I think in canada they are all made in france

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Mitsouko. Took me a few wears. Everytime it smelled a little different, but never unattractive. Like a beguiling temptress, she got me hooked and finally reeled me in.

Great thread!

As for me, it took me some time to appreciate tom fors tobacco vanille.. Initially smelled quite average to me... Also i had tried it first during the summer. Then again, i tried it during winter and fell in love with it.
    My Current Favorites - (In no particular order)

1. Byredo Black Saffron
    2. Acqua Di Parma Leather
    3. Tom Ford Oud Wood
    4. Tom Ford Noir De Noir
    5. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    6. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    7. Creed Aventus
    8. Creed Virgin Island Water
    9. Byredo Oud Immortel
    10. Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    What are some fragrances that took you a little while to warm up to? Either from hate to like or from indifferent/unsure to like/love?
    Two that come to mind are Creed Royal Oud and Bois Du Portugal.

Another one for me was Opium pour homme EDP.

Absolutely detested it when I first smelled it. Thought it was syrupy, stewed fruits with a liquorice tinge and just unwearable. Took me about 2 years of trying it every now and again for me to understand it. Nowadays I feel like I will die if I don't get another bottle soon. The bottle I have is at most 1/3 full.

- Guerlain Vetiver
    - Terre d'Hermes
    - Cartier Declaration
    - Kouros
    - Chrome

All took me a (long) while to see how good these all are in their own merits (Chrome for hot! weather).
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Annick Goutal: Ambre Fetiche
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Amouage: Epic
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa Oud
    - Histoires de Parfums: 1740 Marquis de Sade
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

For me it was Coriolan. I am a big Guerlain fan and when I first tried it I liked it but did not love it. Now it is in rotation with Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Heritage, et al, and I really love it. My SOTD, in fact!

The prime candidate for this, for me, is Givenchy Gentleman.

First time I smelt it, I thought ye gods this stuff's awful. I was sure the screenwriter for Anchorman was sniffing this when he came up with that line about Bigfoot's Dick...

Now of course, I love it. It can still test the sensibilities of people around you, but it's very distinguished.

Gotta be honest. Nicolai New York took me a little getting use to. It was a little too "perfumy" for me. Once it settled down though...WOW ! I do this a lot with new fragrances. I put it on and sometimes it's not love at first site or wearing..But if I give it a few weeks, I usually end up falling hard for it. Tiffany for men is a mother one that wasn't love at first sniff either but one of my top 10 faves now...
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace