Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

Gentlemen, Please post your reviews in this thread for everyone to read.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 4th March 2013 at 12:09 AM.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only

To start off im pretty new and have no real experience with too many fragrances other than sniffing around sephora haha. I literally only own 3 bottles of cologne... Burberry Sport, Bleu de Chanel, and Creed Aventus aka the juice of the gods. (I seriously friggin love Aventus, i smell it daily... just to smell it)

All fragrances were tested on skin…

Guerlain Vintage Vetiver Extreme:
    was able to sample this one (the leaker). this one reminds me of a more powerful version of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. its definitely potent, its almost like a spicy cinnamon or nutmeg lemon... with an odd undertone (im guessing thats vetiver) this definitely smells more mature and classy, i couldnt picture anyone under 30 wearing this one. it also sort of gives me a slight headache the more i smell it.

Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme:
    this one definitely smells of cedar right off the bat... its kinda amazing how woody it is. its definitely pretty warm and slightly spicy... but i smell probably 75% cedar from this one. its not offputting at all and pretty pleasant. again this scent smells very classy and masculine to me.

Jacomo de Jacomo -
    this one definitely smells 80's to me... in fact... it screams 80's. this one to me... smells like odd leather.. definitely get some herbal qualities mixed with a soft leathery note. this sort of smells like old car leather to me mixed with some herbs and spices. its not something i would wear personally, being born in the 80's i tend to hate anything that reminds me of it for some reason haha.

Ungaro III-
    this one was nice at first spray, definitely different and interesting to me. its sweet.. almost like vanilla or candy in the background... but it has a sort of sharp overtone of maybe some citrus and floral powdery qualities mixed with herbal notes. its interesting and seems more formal than casual.

Al Oudh EDT-
    this one smells like sweet B/O to me (Body Odor) and definitely not something im enjoying. i honestly cant pick out any of the notes except for the weird body odor note and some sweetness.

Dzing!-
    this one is also weird... i get a leathery moth ball vibe from it... or like a really strong pungent baby powder or floral note. this one almost seems unisex... but its definitely a mature scent

Creed Mandarine Pamplemousse -
    i like this one the most so far, it has a strong orange smell with almost like a sharp sparkly minty effervescense to it and maybe some flowers. its very pleasant and smells unisex to me. the dry down is like a muted orange, still pleasant but not sure if i could picture myself wearing this one. definitely a flowery orange.

Etienne Aigner No2.-
    this one smells like a typical 80's-90's cologne... i cant pinpoint it but its something similar to a cologne ive smelled before. its very woodsy... with a faint sweetness maybe from some florals. definitely a mature scent and not something i could wear myself. the dry down gets less harsh than the opening, and more tolerable for me.

Tom Ford for Men-
    this one smells kinda like sweet spicy citrus up top... maybe a slight ginger note with some woods and florals... definitely a lighter scent and not offputting. this almost reminds me of a more potent Gucci PH II.. might have a tiny bit of sweet tobacco in it somewhere. this scent is really classy smelling to me, i could picture this worn with a black suit.

Vintage Habit Rouge Guerlain-
    up top im definitely getting a spicy cinnamon or nutmeg vibe, its a very warm and seductive fragrance. its definitely got some very tart citrus in there somewhere giving it sharpness. its like a warm spiced lemon almost... its pretty good and intriguing. this one is tied with the Creed for the 2 that i found most pleasant and interesting. this smells like a classic scent.

To end things, i wouldnt buy any of these fragrances. im 27 and these just would not really fit my style / age, i guess im into more mainstream fragrances that appeal to a wider audience. I like my fragrances to be a little different... so i dont smell exactly like every other dude, but still widely appealing. These fragrances as a whole just strayed too far outside my comfort zone, or seemed too outdated for me.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you xxsjxx1 for giving us honest reviews from a young man's point of view. Your participation is greatly appreciated!

Southerngardens

Looks like I'm next on the list, and I'm looking forward to putting my nose to these when I get 'em! Is the Ungaro III the current version? I own that one. I found it initially off-putting, but by the third try I was hooked. If the Ungaro III is vintage, I'll compare/contrast.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Looks like I'm next on the list, and I'm looking forward to putting my nose to these when I get 'em! Is the Ungaro III the current version? I own that one. I found it initially off-putting, but by the third try I was hooked. If the Ungaro III is vintage, I'll compare/contrast.
    I believe it's the current edition, but your review will still be invaluable. I hope you got my PM on the Vintage Guerlain vetiver Extreme? It is on it's way to you in the AM to replace the broken one. Let's all don't forget to wrap each vial with plumbers white tape to prevent leaks to each vial before sending on to the next sampler. Can't wait to hear your impressionsL'Homme Blanc Individuel !

Thanks So Much!

southerngardens

Here's the first half of my reviews, covering the following:

Al Oudh EdT, by L'Artisan
    Mandarine Pamplemousse EdP, by Creed
    Jacomo de Jacomo EdT (vintage)
    Aigner No.2 EdT, by Etienne Aigner.
    Vetiver Extreme EdT, by Guerlain (vintage)

Al Oudh by L'Artisan was an instant favorite for me. Easily the best of the bunch. It smells warm, yet isn't out of place on a spring day (he says on what is turning out to be a marvelous spring day). It smells like what I assume agarwood smells like without having a medicinal note that so many aoud scents have. It smells slightly peppery and sweet but not at all loud. After about an hour, the civet shows up with a slightly stanky hello, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm wishing it weren't there, yet I feel oddly glad about it's presence. The civet here reminds me of a friend you can only hang out with in large groups because he's obnoxious, but the party wouldn't be the same without him. This scent isn't a party though. It's relaxed and almost soothing. I may need to own this, but I'd have to wear it quite a few times in order to decide if I'd be willing to pay L'Artisan prices for it. But there's no doubt that this one is excellent.

Mandarine Pamplemousse smells like summer in a bottle. In fact, it smells like an early summer morning where there's dew in the grass and sun in the sky, and thought there's a hint of a chill in the morning air, the day is going to be hot and there are relaxing plans to be made. Are we off to the beach? This scent is so gentle and sweet, and it has that Creed base. Obviously, you have to love mandarine, but that should go without saying since it's right there in the name. This is a gentle, flowery orange. And it's excellent.

Jacomo de Jacomo has set muh ahrm on FAAHHHHRRRR!!!!! In fact, it smells like the fire is still burning! Burning on my arm! And in my nostrils! Wow is this stuff smoky! Do I love it? Do I loath it? I honestly can't say. What I CAN say is, this stuff is compelling. It smells like basil and light woods, but the moment I've inhaled, my nostrils are filled with red-hots candies. That's quite a trick. Would I wear this? I... don't... know...?

Aigner No.2 is another fiery one! Something in here hits my nose as being hot, which is odd since the next thing I smell is soapiness. Lots and lots of soapiness. Can this really be fiery/soapy? Is that possible? What am I smelling that creates the fire here? I have no idea, especially since there is no smoke. I'm fascinated by it, but I can't say that I like it, and I know I wouldn't wear it. But testing it sure is fun. I can't help thinking Aigner No.2 has issues with self confidence. It's trying to be classy, but it's too loud for it's own good, and in the end, no one is fooled.

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain is a gray sky on warm spring evening suggesting potential for turbulent weather, but no thunderstorms arrive, which means the clouds add to the ambiance of an evening outdoors with friends rather than ruining it. Being that this scent's name features the word vetiver, one's enjoyment of it will depend on whether or not one likes vetiver. Durrr, right? Well, I'm not a big vetiver fan, so, Vetiver Extreme is not something I'd want to wear. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Vetiver Extreme doesn't smell extreme to me. It smells quite pleasant. It's rich yet friendly, quietly exuding class and confidence. To my nose, it's darker and dirtier than Tom Ford's office friendly Grey Vetiver yet it's kinder and gentler than Encre Noir. Vetiver Extreme has an airiness in how it wears that reminds me of Green Irish Tweed. No, it doesn't smell like GIT. But GIT is a scent that seems to almost float above skin rather than clinging to it, and Vetiver Extreme does that as well. This one sure ain't for me, but thumbs up nonetheless.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 18th February 2013 at 01:44 AM.

CologneFan85

Awesome thread and idea Southerngardens

Basenotes Plus

I am very glad to be taking part of this, and looking forward to trying these and comparing opinions.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Here's the first half of my reviews, covering the following:

Al Oudh EdT, by L'Artisan
    Mandarine Pamplemousse EdP, by Creed
    Jacomo de Jacomo EdT (vintage)
    Aigner No.2 EdT, by Etienne Aigner.
    Vetiver Extreme EdT, by Guerlain (vintage)

Al Oudh by L'Artisan was an instant favorite for me. Easily the best of the bunch. It smells warm, yet isn't out of place on a spring day (he says on what is turning out to be a marvelous spring day). It smells like what I assume agarwood smells like without having a medicinal note that so many aoud scents have. It smells slightly peppery and sweet but not at all loud. After about an hour, the civet shows up with a slightly stanky hello, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm wishing it weren't there, yet I feel oddly glad about it's presence. The civet here reminds me of a friend you can only hang out with in large groups because he's obnoxious, but the party wouldn't be the same without him. This scent isn't a party though. It's relaxed and almost soothing. I may need to own this, but I'd have to wear it quite a few times in order to decide if I'd be willing to pay L'Artisan prices for it. But there's no doubt that this one is excellent.

Mandarine Pamplemousse smells like summer in a bottle. In fact, it smells like an early summer morning where there's dew in the grass and sun in the sky, and thought there's a hint of a chill in the morning air, the day is going to be hot and there are relaxing plans to be made. Are we off to the beach? This scent is so gentle and sweet, and it has that Creed base. Obviously, you have to love mandarine, but that should go without saying since it's right there in the name. This is a gentle, flowery orange. And it's excellent.

Jacomo de Jacomo has set muh ahrm on FAAHHHHRRRR!!!!! In fact, it smells like the fire is still burning! Burning on my arm! And in my nostrils! Wow is this stuff smoky! Do I love it? Do I loath it? I honestly can't say. What I CAN say is, this stuff is compelling. It smells like basil and light woods, but the moment I've inhaled, my nostrils are filled with red-hots candies. That's quite a trick. Would I wear this? I... don't... know...?

Aigner No.2 is another fiery one! Something in here hits my nose as being hot, which is odd since the next thing I smell is soapiness. Lots and lots of soapiness. Can this really be fiery/soapy? Is that possible? What am I smelling that creates the fire here? I have no idea, especially since there is no smoke. I'm fascinated by it, but I can't say that I like it, and I know I wouldn't wear it. But testing it sure is fun. I can't help thinking Aigner No.2 has issues with self confidence. It's trying to be classy, but it's too loud for it's own good, and in the end, no one is fooled.

Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme is a gray sky on warm spring evening suggesting potential for turbulent weather, but no thunderstorms arrive, which means the clouds add to the ambiance of an evening outdoors with friends rather than ruining it. Being that this scent's name features the word vetiver, one's enjoyment of it will depend on whether or not one likes vetiver. Durrr, right? Well, I'm not a big vetiver fan, so, Vetiver Extreme is not something I'd want to wear. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Vetiver Extreme doesn't smell extreme to me. It smells quite pleasant. It's rich yet friendly, quietly exuding class and confidence. To my nose, it's darker and dirtier than Tom Ford's office friendly Grey Vetiver yet it's kinder and gentler than Encre Noir. Vetiver Extreme has an airiness in how it wears that reminds me of Green Irish Tweed. No, it doesn't smell like GIT. But GIT is a scent that seems to almost float above skin rather than clinging to it, and Vetiver Extreme does that as well. This one sure ain't for me, but thumbs up nonetheless.
    Thank YouL'Homme Blanc Individuel for your wonderful impressions of the first half of the Men's Sample Pass .I think the fire you were getting from the two vintage 80's frags was the Labdanum both posses which smells of pine and could leave a feeling of having smelled an aldehyde or something sharp. A lot of the 80's powerhouses used sharp notes to create better sillage. That may be part of why younger folks don't care for vintage frags!?

I had never noticed the civet in Al Oud before. Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I do think if you had the chance to give it a few more wearings, you would find as you said it is an integral accord to the compostion.

I had not experienced the Creed Mandarine Pamplemousse before I had sent it off to you guys so all the great information was new to me. Thank You!

I am very surprised that a non vetiver lover could give such a positive review for Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme! That was wonderful and well done for IMO a classic. It is vintage as well and I am not sure if it's going to still be in production as a reformulation?

southerngardens
    Last edited by southerngardens; 15th February 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Can't wait to get them
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    Can't wait to get them
    Are you up next? I'm hoping to send these to the next man up on Monday!

Basenotes Plus

I'm hoping to send these to the next man up on Monday!
    That'd be mikeperez23.

I go after that, and eggy/The Smelly Scientist is the final destination.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The Ladies Forum do these sample passes all the time and this, gentlemen, is our very first men's sample pass! If there is sufficient support, I would be willing to sponsor another. I plan to poll the men and explain what a sample pass is, how educational it is and how it helps others and how fun it can be, to see if they would be interested. We could make it even more fun to have a them to our next sample pass for example we could sample pass nothing but Ouhds or Chanels, but to do that we would need to work together as a team and I would ask samplers to add or help find frag samples that we could use that would fit into our chosen theme.

southerngardens

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    The Ladies Forum do these sample passes all the time and this, gentlemen, is our very first men's sample pass! If there is sufficient support, I would be willing to sponsor another. I plan to poll the men and explain what a sample pass is, how educational it is and how it helps others and how fun it can be, to see if they would be interested. We could make it even more fun to have a them to our next sample pass for example we could sample pass nothing but Ouhds or Chanels, but to do that we would need to work together as a team and I would ask samplers to add or help find frag samples that we could use that would fit into our chosen theme.

southerngardens
    I'm up for anything! Props for getting this going

L'homme: I am the last victim in the circle, as juanderer has correctly stated
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I am the last victim in the circle, as juanderer has correctly stated
    Well, you're in for a treat, I think. There's a nice amount of diversity in this sample pass, though it definitely tends toward the mature side of the spectrum -- but not in a bad way. Of the ten, I enjoyed most and even loved a few. I already owned one and ended up buying a full bottle of another after sampling it. I'll get to those two one in the 2nd half of my reviews, to be posted tomorrow.

All in all, I thought this collection - and this exercise in sampling things I did not choose - was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

The first half of my reviews for this Men's Sample Pass are earlier in this thread at post #6. Here's the second half of my reviews for the following 5 scents:

Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme, EdT
    Dzing! by L'Artisan, EdT
    Habit Rouge by Guerlian, EdT (vintage)
    Tom Ford for Men, EdT
    Ungaro III, EdT

Kenzo Jungle just might be the most poorly named fragrance ever. Who in the heck thought a jungle smells anything like this? I've been to the jungle and let me tell you, it doesn't. Rather than smelling like thick woods with lush vegetation where monkeys and brightly colored birds live in the canopy high above, Kenzo Jungle smells like it just walked out of a desert shop. And if you smell it, you'll want to walk in the door it just walked out of and grab a snack. It's surprisingly and, dare I say deliciously, sweet. The nutmeg really comes through with cinnamon, but this isn't a cinnamon scent, and it isn't particularly heavy when compared to many gourmands. I could see a woman wearing this, but it isn't feminine. I could definitely imagine wearing this on a date. And who knows. I might even end up being her tasty treat.

Dzing dinged my expectations, but not in a good way. Wow was this not what I was expecting from Dzing! It quickly faded to a soft scent that seemed to hover barely an inch above my skin. I've seen people compare Dzing to Bvlgari Black, but I have to believe they're doing so by remembering what Black smells like rather than by comparing them side to side, because quite frankly, the comparison doesn't work. There's a hint of hay here that almost - almost - reminds me of Chergui. Almost. But Dzing has an animalistic element. The longer I wear it, the more I like it, but Dzing has a perfumey smell that falls under the category of scents I'd prefer on a woman than on myself. On a date - meaning, on her skin - this could be vah-vooooom!

Habit Rouge opens with a loud citrus/vanilla/leather mix. Sadly, there is also the smell of a laundry exhaust chute in an old building. Could that be the florals coming into play, combining with the leather? I'm surprised by how much of a strike out this one is for me. That's a shame since there's also something in here I enjoy very much. The vanilla and amber, perhaps, and the sandalwood. Love. And the cinnamon? Love. All things considered, there's a lot here to like, but rising above it all is the smell of an old building and a laundry exhaust chute. Maybe I'm not old enough to wear this? Maybe I don't feel old enough to wear this? Or maybe I just hate doing the laundry. I actually find the smell of an old building to be charming, but I don't want to wear it. Not even when doing the laundry.

Tom Ford For Men is fantastic. It opens up with a strong but not sharp citrus that evolves into a slightly woody tobacco and wears like a favorite button down shirt that just so happens to be dressy enough to wear to work, even if you have a date afterward. It's the sort of scent that smells good without trying to smell good, and for me, that's a win. I liked Tom Ford For Men so much, I bought a bottle. This scent isn't particularly daring, nor is it even bold. Instead, it is simply confident yet disarming. There's never a wrong time to wear it, and that made it a must-own for me. That, plus a huge sale at Fragrancenet combined with another at ebates. This is what you wear when you can't decide what to wear. Tom Ford For Men just works.

Ungaro III is the only fragrance in this Men's Sample Pass that I already own. I compared the sample to my bottle and, upon application I instantly realized that this is the Ungaro III I know and love. Ungaro III is a masculine Rose with vodka, lavender, patchouly, sandalwood and maybe a bit of vetiver in the mix. It's classy without smelling too old for a guy in his 30s to get away with, so long as that guy has style. And class. I'd like to think I have both but I'm sure an ex-girlfriend would disagree. Then again, she never smelled me wearing Ungaro III. OK, Ungaro III might not have helped in that case, but still, this one is excellent. I picked up a bottle in a swap here last fall and I instantly hated it. In fact, I had to scrub it off after an hour and I regretted making the trade. A few months later, I committed to giving it a full wear. And that's when I fell in love. So, be prepared: you might need to give this one a second chance. Ungaro III does surprisingly well in cooler weather, but it strikes me as being something I could wear on a warm spring day. I look forward to finding out.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 17th February 2013 at 09:39 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Well, you're in for a treat, I think. There's a nice amount of diversity in this sample pass, though it definitely tends toward the mature side of the spectrum -- but not in a bad way. Of the ten, I enjoyed most and even loved a few. I already owned one and ended up buying a full bottle of another after sampling it. I'll get to those two one in the 2nd half of my reviews, to be posted tomorrow.

All in all, I thought this collection - and this exercise in sampling things I did not choose - was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

The first half of my reviews for this Men's Sample Pass are earlier in this thread at post #6. Here's the second half of my reviews for the following 5 scents:

Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme, EdT
    Dzing! by L'Artisan, EdT
    Habit Rouge by Guerlian, EdT (vintage)
    Tom Ford for Men, EdT
    Ungaro III, EdT

Kenzo Jungle just might be the most poorly named fragrance ever. Who in the heck thought a jungle smells anything like this? I've been to the jungle and let me tell you, it doesn't. Rather than smelling like thick woods with lush vegetation where monkeys and brightly colored birds live in the canopy high above, Kenzo Jungle smells like it just walked out of a desert shop. And if you smell it, you'll want to walk in the door it just walked out of and grab a snack. It's surprisingly and, dare I say deliciously, sweet. The nutmeg really comes through with cinnamon, but this isn't a cinnamon scent, and it isn't particularly heavy when compared to many gourmands. I could see a woman wearing this, but it isn't feminine. I could definitely imagine wearing this on a date. And who knows. I might even end up being her tasty treat.

Dzing dinged my expectations, but not in a good way. Wow was this not what I was expecting from Dzing! It quickly faded to a soft scent that seemed to hover barely an inch above my skin. I've seen people compare Dzing to Bvlgari Black, but I have to believe they're doing so by remembering what Black smells like rather than by comparing them side to side, because quite frankly, the comparison doesn't work. There's a hint of hay here that almost - almost - reminds me of Chergui. Almost. But Dzing has an animalistic element. The longer I wear it, the more I like it, but Dzing has a perfumey smell that falls under the category of scents I'd prefer on a woman than on myself. On a date - meaning, on her skin - this could be vah-vooooom!

Habit Rouge opens with a loud citrus/vanilla/leather mix. Sadly, there is also the smell of a laundry exhaust chute in an old building. Could that be the florals coming into play, combining with the leather? I'm surprised by how much of a strike out this one is for me. That's a shame since there's also something in here I enjoy very much. The vanilla and amber, perhaps, and the sandalwood. Love. And the cinnamon? Love. All things considered, there's a lot here to like, but rising above it all is the smell of an old building and a laundry exhaust chute. Maybe I'm not old enough to wear this? Maybe I don't feel old enough to wear this? Or maybe I just hate doing the laundry. I actually find the smell of an old building to be charming, but I don't want to wear it. Not even when doing the laundry.

Tom Ford For Men is fantastic. It opens up with a strong but not sharp citrus that evolves into a slightly woody tobacco and wears like a favorite button down shirt that just so happens to be dressy enough to wear to work, even if you have a date afterward. It's the sort of scent that smells good without trying to smell good, and for me, that's a win. I liked Tom Ford For Men so much, I bought a bottle. This scent isn't particularly daring, nor is it even bold. Instead, it is simply confident yet disarming. There's never a wrong time to wear it, and that made it a must-own for me. That, plus a huge sale at Fragrancenet combined with another at ebates. This is what you wear when you can't decide what to wear. Tom Ford For Men just works.

Ungaro III is the only fragrance in this Men's Sample Pass that I already own. I compared the sample to my bottle and, upon application I instantly realized that this is the Ungaro III I know and love. Ungaro III is a masculine Rose with vodka, lavender, patchouly, sandalwood and maybe a bit of vetiver in the mix. It's classy without smelling too old for a guy in his 30s to get away with, so long as that guy has style. And class. I'd like to think I have both but I'm sure an ex-girlfriend would disagree. Then again, she never smelled me wearing Ungaro III. OK, Ungaro III might not have helped in that case, but still, this one is excellent. I picked up a bottle in a swap here last fall and I instantly hated it. In fact, I had to scrub it off after an hour and I regretted making the trade. A few months later, I committed to giving it a full wear. And that's when I fell in love. So, be prepared: you might need to give this one a second chance. Ungaro III does surprisingly well in cooler weather, but it strikes me as being something I could wear on a warm spring day. I look forward to finding out.
    GOOD JOB L'Homme Blanc Individuel! That was great! After your first reviews I realized that I may have inadvertently skewed some of the samples to my age bracket ,mid forties, because the younger gentlemen have chosen what I would have thought they would. However, between Dzing! and Habit Rouge, Dzing! would have been the one I thought the younger gentlemen would go for, but it left a lot to be desired for LHBI. I am glad that he got a chance to sniff a classic like Habit Rouge, though he didn't find it as suave as I do. Me being the older guy.
    I agree with you that Kenzo does not do a good job at naming their frags. Jungle just doesn't suit this frag because it's so much better than that, as I think we agree? Surprisingly good frag because partly due to it's poor naming.
    You are the second sampler and the second sampler to find a fragrance that he liked so well that he bought it. Bravo! Tom Ford for men is a truly timeless and anyplace fragrance. It just works!
    Ungaro III is as you said not a fragrance every man might just step into because of it's complexity and sheer sillage. You should get to know this frag a little before taking it out on the road, but it is a very nice frag and can become a best friend when all else fails.
    Thank you again for participating L'Homme Blanc Individuel! I hope you learned a little bit and had some fun at the same time?

southerngardens

Basenotes Institution

Enjoying reading your reviews xxsjxx1 and L'Homme Blanc Individuel - good job guys.

I think it takes a certain amount of maturity for guys (of any age) to reach out of their comfort zone and test fragrances that aren't normally something they'd wear (fragrances marketed to a different gender; expensive vs cheap/affordable scents; etc). I think this is one of the reasons I still stick around here on Basenotes - because I am challenged (when I have an open mind) to smell things I've never smelled before, investigate why I like certain fragrances (this is how I found out I love lavender!) & also to re-test scents that initially I hated and then all-of-a-sudden for some reason I love it.

I have smelled several of the scents in the Sample Pass (southerngardens gave me a heads up about what scents he was going to be choosing a while ago), but I am still excited to smell them all & review them again. I am very aware of the fact that my nose evolves all of the time. I fall in love (and out of love) and sometimes there's no way to explain it, so I stop trying to figure it out and just go with it.

I must say from the list, I absolutely cannot stand Ungaro III and Jacomo de Jacomo, so I look forward to challenging these previous notions of mine. And, it looks like from L'Homme's comments above, I am not the only one that hated the Ungaro the first time.

Question southerngardens: What is the formulation of the Habit Rouge we're smelling (EdC, EdT, EdP, new or vintage?)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

The Sample Pass is in the mail, Mike! It's headed your way. I think it's kind of neat how these samples are crisscrossing their way across the country. They're really putting on the miles.

As I mentioned, I found Ungaro III to be challenging. I had to give it a full wearing before I finally understood it - and that's when I really fell in love with it. For me, it required more than just a sample on the wrist or the back of my hand. I had to give it two sprays to the chest and back, and a few hours. Of course, I only did that because I owned a nearly full bottle.

With these samples, I only tried them on my wrist or the back of my hand, but I can't help wondering if my opinions on some might have changed with full wearings. I only had the sample pass for about 5 days, which means I didn't get to give a lot of time to each. I have a feeling a few days with the Mandarine Pamplemousse might have turned me into a big fan... but then again, that one also requires a sunny summer day, and I certainly didn't have that!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think it takes a certain amount of maturity for guys (of any age) to reach out of their comfort zone and test fragrances that aren't normally something they'd wear (fragrances marketed to a different gender; expensive vs cheap/affordable scents; etc). I think this is one of the reasons I still stick around here on Basenotes - because I am challenged (when I have an open mind) to smell things I've never smelled before, investigate why I like certain fragrances (this is how I found out I love lavender!) & also to re-test scents that initially I hated and then all-of-a-sudden for some reason I love it.
    1000000% YES.

Following up on your thought: southerngardens asked if I'd learned anything here. Well, one thing I definitely learned (or at least was reminded of) was the huge difference between smelling fragrances I chose versus smelling fragrances I did not choose. Most probably never think about the difference, but there is one. When we choose fragrances - even just to sample - we usually have an agenda. We have a reason for picking them. We're looking for something. Maybe it's a scent for a date or something to wear to work, maybe something heavy for winter or something lighter for spring. But it's different when smelling scents we didn't choose. There's no agenda other than smelling something new for the sake of smelling something new.

Because of that, I ended up approaching them differently.

I guess what I'm saying is, when I choose scents to try, I tend to approach them by their function first and art second. L'Air du Desert Marocain is an artistic masterpiece, but I don't care. I care about how it smells on me and how it wears (like a frigging DREAM!!!). I care about how versatile it is (so-so) and how it works on a date (spectacularly!!!). But when I smell scents that I didn't choose, I tend to approach them by their art first and I only even consider their function if I like them enough to want to buy them. Jacomo de Jacomo did not please me and I would certainly not wear it on a date - if I'd even wear it at all - but as a piece of art, I really dug it. It was compelling. It fascinated me. I wouldn't buy it, but if I'd been the last person on this sample pass list, I'd have given it a lot more time just for the fun of it. I found it bizarrely compelling. A bit more time with Kenzo Jungle might have turned me into a fan. Who knows. I did enjoy Al Oudh so much that I had to give it some extra time.

The whole sample pass thing really does help to push one outside of his or her comfort zone, and I think that's awesome.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Enjoying reading your reviews xxsjxx1 and L'Homme Blanc Individuel - good job guys.

I have smelled several of the scents in the Sample Pass (southerngardens gave me a heads up about what scents he was going to be choosing a while ago), but I am still excited to smell them all & review them again. I am very aware of the fact that my nose evolves all of the time. I fall in love (and out of love) and sometimes there's no way to explain it, so I stop trying to figure it out and just go with it.

I must say from the list, I absolutely cannot stand Ungaro III and Jacomo de Jacomo, so I look forward to challenging these previous notions of mine. And, it looks like from L'Homme's comments above, I am not the only one that hated the Ungaro the first time.

Question southerngardens: What is the formulation of the Habit Rouge we're smelling (EdC, EdT, EdP, new or vintage?)
    Thanks for coming and sharing your comments Mike. You could not be more right and I agree. The Habit Rouge that is being sampled is vintage EDT. Thanks again Mike!

- - - Updated - - -

The Sample Pass is in the mail, Mike! It's headed your way. I think it's kind of neat how these samples are crisscrossing their way across the country. They're really putting on the miles.

As I mentioned, I found Ungaro III to be challenging. I had to give it a full wearing before I finally understood it - and that's when I really fell in love with it. For me, it required more than just a sample on the wrist or the back of my hand. I had to give it two sprays to the chest and back, and a few hours. Of course, I only did that because I owned a nearly full bottle.

With these samples, I only tried them on my wrist or the back of my hand, but I can't help wondering if my opinions on some might have changed with full wearings. I only had the sample pass for about 5 days, which means I didn't get to give a lot of time to each. I have a feeling a few days with the Mandarine Pamplemousse might have turned me into a big fan... but then again, that one also requires a sunny summer day, and I certainly didn't have that!

1000000% YES.

Following up on your thought: southerngardens asked if I'd learned anything here. Well, one thing I definitely learned (or at least was reminded of) was the huge difference between smelling fragrances I chose versus smelling fragrances I did not choose. Most probably never think about the difference, but there is one. When we choose fragrances - even just to sample - we usually have an agenda. We have a reason for picking them. We're looking for something. Maybe it's a scent for a date or something to wear to work, maybe something heavy for winter or something lighter for spring. But it's different when smelling scents we didn't choose. There's no agenda other than smelling something new for the sake of smelling something new.

Because of that, I ended up approaching them differently.

I guess what I'm saying is, when I choose scents to try, I tend to approach them by their function first and art second. L'Air du Desert Marocain is an artistic masterpiece, but I don't care. I care about how it smells on me and how it wears (like a frigging DREAM!!!). I care about how versatile it is (so-so) and how it works on a date (spectacularly!!!). But when I smell scents that I didn't choose, I tend to approach them by their art first and I only even consider their function if I like them enough to want to buy them. Jacomo de Jacomo did not please me and I would certainly not wear it on a date - if I'd even wear it at all - but as a piece of art, I really dug it. It was compelling. It fascinated me. I wouldn't buy it, but if I'd been the last person on this sample pass list, I'd have given it a lot more time just for the fun of it. I found it bizarrely compelling. A bit more time with Kenzo Jungle might have turned me into a fan. Who knows. I did enjoy Al Oudh so much that I had to give it some extra time.

The whole sample pass thing really does help to push one outside of his or her comfort zone, and I think that's awesome.
    LHBI, Your comments on approaching fragrances as art were so true and made a lot of sense to me. And coming outside of your comfort zone is an opportunity to learn. I agree. I am so glad that you learned something from this pass and hopefully left you more confident. Thank You so Much for an amazing job!

I still can't get over the fact that people wear Al Oudh! That one was shocking to me... It literally smelled like an armpit, or sweaty genitals to me. That was a shocker... I was like wait... People buy this? Haha. After reading the other review it's funny how your opinion of it was totally different than mine.

Really excellent thread. (And there's still more to come!) Thanks for the work, gents!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    I still can't get over the fact that people wear Al Oudh! That one was shocking to me... It literally smelled like an armpit, or sweaty genitals to me. That was a shocker... I was like wait... People buy this? Haha. After reading the other review it's funny how your opinion of it was totally different than mine.
    Then most likely you will detest real oud oil from the Middle East. Personally I find Al Oudh a very light oud fragrance, just like the one from Maison Francis Kurkdjian: Oud For People Who Don't Like Oud.

Personally I love barnyard-y, stinky, animalistic - in other words real oud. The oil is so strong you could take a toothpick, stick just the tip into the vial, and swab some on your chest and you will smell it for +24 hours. No lie.

Of course, this took me years (and several attempts) to evolve to. The first time I smelled it, I was very surprised.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Junkie

Cool idea for a thread. Interesting read. Been wondering about Tom Ford 4 Men lately, will have to get a sample to try for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    WOW! I didn't get any of that smell at all - but I only smelled Al Oudh on my skin. I didn't test it on paper. It's funny how some scents wear so differently on different people. I liked Al Oudh. I can't say that I loved it, but I definitely enjoyed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Been wondering about Tom Ford 4 Men lately, will have to get a sample to try for myself.
    I'm really impressed by it. It isn't groundbreaking, nor is it bold. In my opinion, it's just a perfect man-smell. Very middle of the road without middle of the road being a bad thing. I get a solid 8 hours out of it, but if it had great longevity it would be in my top 5 of all time. It's definitely signature scent worthy.

Basenotes Institution

Got the package from L'Homme! Looking forward to giving these some testing this weekend.

I am moving so I'll be packing a lot, so I guess this is a good opportunity to wear a 'new' scent and just let it float all around me while I'm working.

I plan on heading straight for the ones I have tested before & do not like: Jacomo de Jacomo and Ungaro III. May the force be with me.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Got the package from L'Homme! Looking forward to giving these some testing this weekend.

I am moving so I'll be packing a lot, so I guess this is a good opportunity to wear a 'new' scent and just let it float all around me while I'm working.

I plan on heading straight for the ones I have tested before & do not like: Jacomo de Jacomo and Ungaro III. May the force be with me.
    Mike,

Didn't know you were moving! So, if you need a little more time, please take it. Maybe if you try Jacomo de Jacomo and Ungaro III while your moving and sweating, they may smell different. Just a thought. Thank you for taking on the sample pass and moving at the same time. We all know you are the most experienced guy of our group and now we know you are the best at multi-tasking! Thanks so Much!

Basenotes Institution

Ungaro III: No, no no...I still don't like it - there must be **something** in this scent that I'm very sensitive to because its not just bracing and sharp in the opening / top notes its also physically jarring (my nose experiences a mild burning sensation). I see, reading the BN reviews, that I am not alone (PigeonMurderer mentions this in his comments). It gives me the sensation of aldehydes (this the very 80's vibe) but an aldehyde unlike any other, it reminds me of menthol cigarettes or chewing spearmint gum and then gulping down an icy cold glass of water. I do get the vodka notes, sort of watery and aromatic, but the other green and floral notes are all weighed down by the sheer weight of the opening oppressive notes, they never seem to make themselves present, they're drowned out. I waited hours after application for the rose note that everyone talks glowingly about and I feel slightly foolish because I don't smell rose at all. I smell something burnt, dark brown, abstract but it's not a rose note. It took incredible restraint to not scrub this off after a couple of hours. You guys owe me!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Ungaro III: No, no no...I still don't like it - there must be **something** in this scent that I'm very sensitive to because its not just bracing and sharp in the opening / top notes its also physically jarring (my nose experiences a mild burning sensation). I see, reading the BN reviews, that I am not alone (PigeonMurderer mentions this in his comments). It gives me the sensation of aldehydes (this the very 80's vibe) but an aldehyde unlike any other, it reminds me of menthol cigarettes or chewing spearmint gum and then gulping down an icy cold glass of water. I do get the vodka notes, sort of watery and aromatic, but the other green and floral notes are all weighed down by the sheer weight of the opening oppressive notes, they never seem to make themselves present, they're drowned out. I waited hours after application for the rose note that everyone talks glowingly about and I feel slightly foolish because I don't smell rose at all. I smell something burnt, dark brown, abstract but it's not a rose note. It took incredible restraint to not scrub this off after a couple of hours. You guys owe me!
    Mike,

If Ungaro III is gonna react with you physically, then pass it by and go on to the others.

Ungaro III ... I waited hours after application for the rose note that everyone talks glowingly about and I feel slightly foolish because I don't smell rose at all. I smell something burnt, dark brown, abstract but it's not a rose note.
    Ungaro III was a scrubber for me the first few times I tried it. I wish I knew what happened that made me eventually love the stuff. I don't know, but I do. I get the rose almost immediately, so if you don't, you're probably never going to because something else in there is wrecking it for you. Chalk it up to different noses, eh? I have a similar problem with Terre D'Hermes, Michael Kors and Encre Noire. All three of those feature something that wrecks the entire scent for me, but I can't figure out what it is. All three of them smell putrid-orange, but not like the fruit orange. Weird, right? All I know is that, in those three fragrances, I don't smell what most people do. I can't really smell what they're supposed to smell like without making a heck of a lot of effort because the weird pungent orange stench overpowers the rest. They probably don't smell orange to anyone else but me! It's just something in all three of them that reacts horrible with my nose. No idea what it is though.

Basenotes Institution

Jacomo de Jacomo is much nicer this time around. NOTE: Apply this sparingly, it has amazing sillage. One tiny spray from the atomizer scented me all day under my t-shirt. As much as the aldehydic, herbal/aromatic opening (most likely cardamom, right?) is bracing and sharp, having just sampled it after the Ungaro I realize how much softer it actually is. There is a grey smell that I smell in a lot of 80's masculines (Halston's, Perry Ellis, etc) - it's here. In fact, I'm reminded of the original (from '85) Perry Ellis for Men, the one with that weird wonky cap, that I used to wear all of the time when I was a teenager (I'm pretty sure I went through a couple of bottles). It shares that same dry, flat woodiness that I like with a hint of spice (carnation?) but it doesn't get leathery it just stays woody and has a retro-incense vibe (before incense was all the rage in fragrances, it was difficult to get a scent that had an incense note).

I like this, but I must admit it smells very dated. I can't imagine reaching for this often, I own so many 'dated' scents that I adore me (vintage Lagerfeld for Men, Devin by Aramis, etc). However, today I have gotten a small glimpse at the genius of this scent (which I mentally discarded last time I sampled it).

Anyone know who the perfumer for this is?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Mike,

What a great review of Jacomo de Jacomo. You described it to a tee for a gentlemen that didn't like it. However, it seems you came around to JdJ a little bit even though it's a dated 80's powerhouse. Good for you!

southerngardens

PS. The perfumer was Christian Mathieu. I am not sure if he is the original perfumer, but he was given credit for the reformulation.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks sg.

I wore Jungle Pour Homme by Kenzo, twice this weekend.

I used to own a mini bottle of this about a couple years ago. I stumbled upon it at one of those fragrance-kiosks in the mall. The bottle is so friggin cool and it was a steal, I think I paid $1 for it. So I was very familiar with the scent already.

JPH is all about lime and spice, for me. The lime top notes are beautiful, some of the best in perfumery in my opinion. I wouldn't call them very natural because they have a glazed sweetness to them to makes me think of drinking limeade but they are very pleasing and combined with the tea/mate give the scent a whiff of something 'tropical'. I wish the top notes lasted longer since this is the best part of the fragrance (not surprising, right?). However very quickly the nutmeg mingles in and flattens the citrus out with that unique musk/wood/resins middle and base notes which I find a bit more...dull. It smells 'grey' if that makes sense. I wish it were more alive but it's very close to the skin and the whiffs I get when it dries down are pleasant, conservative and crisp but nothing challenging or complex.

For someone looking for something that smells like the title, Jungle For A Man I would try Un Jardin et Meditteranee by Hermes or the huge-clobbered-with-fruit Pulp by Byredo. Or even Hawaiian Ruby Guava by Pacifica, a cheaper alternative to the Byredo.

I which the juice inside the fantastic bottle wasn't so yawn-worthy. But, it is.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The bottle is fantastic. I love the zebra mane on the top of the cap! Again your review reflected my experience with this frag. The tropical opening is just out of this world, but alas doesn't last long enough for me. The middle and base are woody,resinous but lacks the pop that would keep this frag exciting.
    Thank You Mike for the alternatives that others can try if they don't like Jungle Pour Homme by Kenzo as well.

southerngardens

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers Welcome!

I love Dzing!, always have and always will. Strangely, I've never owned a full bottle of it. I think it's because I'm not someone who wears a LOT of leather fragrances. I enjoy them, but I don't seem to reach for them as much as others. The leathers that I have committed to a full bottle of is a 'strange' one: Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella and whereas the L'Artisan is equally strange it is IMO much more wearable.

Let me say I usually hate cotton candy sweetness in a fragrance, but there are a small select fragrances where the perfumer handled the note deftly and this is one of them (another is Hermessence Vetiver Tonka). The overall smell for me is this: Cotton Candy. Leather. Animalic breath (you know like dog's breath). Cardboard. When it dries down, all of the notes combine into one overall accord that is extremely unique - there is NO other scent on the market that smells like this in the drydown. Nothing. Which I love.

This sample was a small 1 ml vial for all of us to test, so I was forced to apply sparingly and honestly it was quite potent for the tiny amount that I applied. I was yearning to douse myself in it, since this is how I wore it before (when I had a decant of it). In fact, this is how I wear all Giacobetti fragrances - overdose! It seems to work for me.

If you are new to the fragrance world this is one of those fragrances You Need To Smell. Get to it, if you haven't.

- - - Updated - - -

Al Oudh is one of my least favorite oud scents. It doesn't smell bad, per se, it just smells ultra boring. The parts of the scent that I love are only revealed to me when I bury my nose in the spot where I sprayed the scent - otherwise, the whiffs I catch of it are restrained, aromatic and oud turned down to a Volume of 1 or 2. I still remember reading about this, before it was released, and getting super excited about it (L'Artisan - Bertrand Duchaufour - spicy - oud - WOW!!), but I was extremely disappointed when I first smelled it and testing it again in this Pass confirms my initial feelings for it. If L'Artisan ever releases a Parfum version of this, and it grows some, I'll come back & test it. Until then, I can't imagine wearing this again.

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain. I love Vetiver by Guerlain, but I must admit I own only the vintage EdC and EdT formulations of it which are richly tobacco prominent, super complex and have wonderful sillage/longevity. Vetiver can be compared to a pair of khaki pants in my clothes wardrobe - it goes with everything. Vetiver Extreme, on the other hand, smells VERY casual, sporty and has many important elements of the original removed from it. It is not 'extreme' in the sense that it's stronger (the original is much stronger and tenacious - so much so that I cannot wear the original anywhere around my neck or it will give me a splitting headache, I must apply it from my chest down) but Extreme's synthetic/ozonic/fresh aromachemicals give a bright lift to the green, grassy vetiver note in the same way that Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire does, but a lot more simpler. When I originally owned this one I described it as the younger, bad-boy cousin of Vetiver, the one who drives the sports car and arrives late to lunch at his parents mansion, with his hair wet, a broken tennis racket and a hicky on his neck. I think I still feel this way. It is SO not me, and that is why years ago I sold my bottle. Before it actually sold, on eBay, I used it as an air freshener for my car. It's a very good car scent. Seriously.

Tonight, I'm wearing my sample of Etienne Aigner No2 but I haven't had it on long enough to write something, so this will have to wait until Friday (tomorrow, I am moving!!!).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th February 2013 at 01:49 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers Welcome!

I'm glad I got a chance to read your review on Dzing! because I had it as a sample and never took the chance to get a good wear out of it. Sorry the sample is small, but it was a perfumers sample that came that way.
    Thanks for your take on Al Oudh! I remember testing this frag and only liking it for about 5 minutes, then it just fizzled out. It just didn't have the oud to keep my attention I guess.
    I have never tried Guerlain's Vetiver, only Vetiver Extreme. I had read that it was different from the original vetiver was that Extreme had a more rooty smell to it. I really must try Guerlain's original vetiver, because even though I own and wear Extreme, I can see your point about it containing a synthetic accord, but I enjoy it well enough maybe due to the fact I haven't tried the original. I really didn't think it was as bad as using it as a car deodorizer though!
    Beware of the Etienne Aigner No. 2. It's an 80's powerhouse, but different than Jacomo de Jacomo. Can't wait to hear the review on this frag!

southerngardens

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

My apologies for the delay in posting an update, my recent move has made it almost impossible to finish. I actually decanted a tiny amount of the last few samples into my own vials & I will be sending them off to the next recipient probably tomorrow. In the meantime I will catch up with the last few this week...thanks!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I figured you were taking some time to unpack some things. I appreciate you updating us on what is going on. Thanks for continuing the sample pass even though you are moving.
    Cain't wait till you review the last of the frags! Looking forward to it!

southerngardens

Basenotes Institution

The samples were mailed to juanderer, so please post when you get them.

The only two I haven't worn on skin yet are Tom Ford for Men and the Creed. Let me talk about my experience with Etienne Aigner No. 2:

I liked it. I really did. Yes, it has an old-school-masculine vibe to it that sort of surprised me and yet it wasn't too aldehydic and synthetic (although I'm sure its loaded with synthetics because it lasts forever and projects a lot). In fact, I'd like for more people on BN to wear and talk about this one, because I can see how it's sort of under-the-radar.

I smelled a lot of sharp, powdery lavender and clary sage and yet it didn't have a sharp detergent note like Grey Flannel does (which I also admire) so perhaps because it's not violet leaf it's less abrasive. I am a big fan of lavender and when it's used skillfully it gets my attention.

The base notes were not my favorite part, and this might be due to the fact that it has musk and I can't smell certain musk notes. It just felt like it was sort of missing a strong foundation at the end.

Nonetheless, I want to sample it again soon and I think it would also make a great smelling soap or shower gel. Just enough bracing aromatic freshness and yet a serious masculine vibe also.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Received the samples. Will start testing tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Ford for Men:

First thought: Round. Nothing edgy about this one. The violet leaf wants to jump out, but it's placated by the citruses and spices. There is a synthetic quality to it that is well-disguised in the composition and this makes it even pleasant.

The pepper opens way to the heart phase of the scent and the tobacco becomes apparent and brings the amber along with woods (most notable cedar). The dry down is dry and slightly sweet and powdery. I don't get any vetiver out of this one. Nice but nothing to write home about (writing to a discussion forum about it is okay).

Basenotes Institution

Glad the samples arrived intact juanderer.

TFFM, when I first sampled it when it was released, was one of the the most underwhelming scents I've ever tried. I still have my sample sitting here, and I have no desire to sample it (even though I will). Unless I have done a complete 180 on this one, I probably will find it as unsatisfying and boring as when it was first released 6 years ago.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The samples were mailed to juanderer, so please post when you get them.

The only two I haven't worn on skin yet are Tom Ford for Men and the Creed. Let me talk about my experience with Etienne Aigner No. 2:

I liked it. I really did. Yes, it has an old-school-masculine vibe to it that sort of surprised me and yet it wasn't too aldehydic and synthetic (although I'm sure its loaded with synthetics because it lasts forever and projects a lot). In fact, I'd like for more people on BN to wear and talk about this one, because I can see how it's sort of under-the-radar.

I smelled a lot of sharp, powdery lavender and clary sage and yet it didn't have a sharp detergent note like Grey Flannel does (which I also admire) so perhaps because it's not violet leaf it's less abrasive. I am a big fan of lavender and when it's used skillfully it gets my attention.

The base notes were not my favorite part, and this might be due to the fact that it has musk and I can't smell certain musk notes. It just felt like it was sort of missing a strong foundation at the end.

Nonetheless, I want to sample it again soon and I think it would also make a great smelling soap or shower gel. Just enough bracing aromatic freshness and yet a serious masculine vibe also.
    Great Review Mike as usual! I love Etienne Aigner No.2! Even though this one is from the 80's, I think it's still relevant for today's Gentlemen.

Southerngardens

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Received the samples. Will start testing tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Ford for Men:

First thought: Round. Nothing edgy about this one. The violet leaf wants to jump out, but it's placated by the citruses and spices. There is a synthetic quality to it that is well-disguised in the composition and this makes it even pleasant.

The pepper opens way to the heart phase of the scent and the tobacco becomes apparent and brings the amber along with woods (most notable cedar). The dry down is dry and slightly sweet and powdery. I don't get any vetiver out of this one. Nice but nothing to write home about (writing to a discussion forum about it is okay).
    Tom Ford for Men was a winner for all the other samplers thus far, but Jaunder has a different opinion. Nothing too special for him. Great review Jaunder!

southerngardens

Gentlemen, Please post your reviews in this thread for everyone to read.
    Hi there! Would you be at all offended if someone (such as myself, though I don't know if I'm up for the commitment just yet!) conducted a similar sample swap? The last thing I want would be for you to feel like I'm taking your idea, in fact it'd probably be best if you joined in and gave the person running it some advice. I just figure it might be good to run another one of these without putting too much pressure on you. Feel free to PM me if that's a better way to respond. Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Trying Guerlain Vetiver Extreme today. First impressions: Dry. There's a volatile/synthetic characteristic to it at first sniff. Some five minutes in and it calms down. I even pictured fresh-cut trees. At fifteen minutes it is less loud and I perceive a powdery/almost creamy quality to it. I get some lemon zest and spice.

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinent View Post
    Hi there! Would you be at all offended if someone (such as myself, though I don't know if I'm up for the commitment just yet!) conducted a similar sample swap? The last thing I want would be for you to feel like I'm taking your idea, in fact it'd probably be best if you joined in and gave the person running it some advice. I just figure it might be good to run another one of these without putting too much pressure on you. Feel free to PM me if that's a better way to respond. Thanks!
    I'm sure he won't mind. Heck, the ladies do it quite often in the female fragrance discussion! The more of these, the better. It's a great learning experience to be able to pass samples around and exchange opinions. It'd be nice to be able to keep each sample pass within a theme, but that will come as more people get involved.

can't wait to get the samples.

Maybe a spring/summer sample pass next? I need to update my wardrobe!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Trying Guerlain Vetiver Extreme today. First impressions: Dry. There's a volatile/synthetic characteristic to it at first sniff. Some five minutes in and it calms down. I even pictured fresh-cut trees. At fifteen minutes it is less loud and I perceive a powdery/almost creamy quality to it. I get some lemon zest and spice.

I'm sure he won't mind. Heck, the ladies do it quite often in the female fragrance discussion! The more of these, the better. It's a great learning experience to be able to pass samples around and exchange opinions. It'd be nice to be able to keep each sample pass within a theme, but that will come as more people get involved.
    Jaunderer, can't wait to hear your full review on Guerlain Vetiver Extreme!

southerngardens

- - - Updated - - -

can't wait to get the samples.

Maybe a spring/summer sample pass next? I need to update my wardrobe!
    I have invited the member above that is interested in trying to organizing another sample pass to PM for some advice and Thank You Smelly Scientist, I think a Spring/ Summer Men's Fragrance Sample Pass would be great! I am going to advise that he use your idea Smelly Scientist as the theme for his pass! Great Contribution!

southerngardens

Basenotes Plus

I really got into Vetiver Extreme as the time went on. Unfortunately, it didn't last as much as I woukd have liked- it is almost completely gone from my skin at around 8 hours when most other fragrances (even those that everyone complains about lacking in longevity) stick around if even subtly for 10-12 hrs. It's still well perceivable on my shirt though. Towards the middle, the citrus went into an overripe orange territory, but it was still enjoyable. It put an image of a half-eaten orange that had been out drying in the sun for a couple of days.

Vetiver (the note) is one of my favorites. Guerlain's Extreme has a raw edge reminiscent of Turtle's Back (though not as LOUD-LOUD-LOUD), and at moments also reminded me on Mona di Orio's take on Vetyver, so I'd class it somewhere in between those two if its performance were more comparable to them (I get a good 12 hrs out of Mona's and a ridiculous 96+ hrs on clothes from LesNez's).

It's still a nice fragrance that I could see myself wearing more when out and-about running errands, rather than at the office.

- - - Updated - - -

Just sprayed my right wrist with Jacomo de Jacomo a couple of minutes ago: LOVE AT FIRST SMELL!

Love the lavender burst in this one. The clove... I get a slight camphor/moth balls vibe in the opening that should be off-putting, but I can't take my nose away from my wrist. I am definitely buying this one regardless of what happens in the heart and dry down- don't worry, I'll still review it.

Just sprayed my right wrist with Jacomo de Jacomo a couple of minutes ago: LOVE AT FIRST SMELL!
    Isn't that one neat?! It wasn't love at first sniff for me, but it sure was compelling. Undoubtably compelling!

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, I'm glad I only did one spray. If I had done more, I would have passed out by now. I get more herbs now that the violet died down a bit.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I really got into Vetiver Extreme as the time went on. Unfortunately, it didn't last as much as I woukd have liked- it is almost completely gone from my skin at around 8 hours when most other fragrances (even those that everyone complains about lacking in longevity) stick around if even subtly for 10-12 hrs. It's still well perceivable on my shirt though. Towards the middle, the citrus went into an overripe orange territory, but it was still enjoyable. It put an image of a half-eaten orange that had been out drying in the sun for a couple of days.

Vetiver (the note) is one of my favorites. Guerlain's Extreme has a raw edge reminiscent of Turtle's Back (though not as LOUD-LOUD-LOUD), and at moments also reminded me on Mona di Orio's take on Vetyver, so I'd class it somewhere in between those two if its performance were more comparable to them (I get a good 12 hrs out of Mona's and a ridiculous 96+ hrs on clothes from LesNez's).

It's still a nice fragrance that I could see myself wearing more when out and-about running errands, rather than at the office.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the lavender burst in this one. The clove... I get a slight camphor/moth balls vibe in the opening that should be off-putting, but I can't take my nose away from my wrist. I am definitely buying this one regardless of what happens in the heart and dry down- don't worry, I'll still review it.
    Jaunderer, I believe you are the first to give Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme a favorable review, except for it longevity. You younger Gentlemen know more about niche frags than I do, but I got the jest of them as you wrote in comparison to GVE.
    The Extreme in the frags name would give a clue as to it's longevity you would think, but to my nose it is more extreme in it's take on vetiver. Unlike the origanal, it has a more extreme rooty accord. I wish that the extreme also included the longevity, which isn't bad, a little longer, but alas it doesn't. At least on me. Great Job!

Cant's wait to hear your review of Jacomo de Jacomo!

southerngardens
    Last edited by southerngardens; 9th March 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, I'm glad I only did one spray. If I had done more, I would have passed out by now. I get more herbs now that the violet died down a bit.
    I got a nice smokiness out of this one too, and was briefly reminded of the smell of my rosewood guitar. I wouldn't classify the smoke as incense, however. For some reason, I was expecting leather, but the leather never showed up- so I thought I missed something of the dry down by going to bed some 4 hours after application but upon further research, I've found that it's not an actual note in the composition.

I could see this one as a supplement to Bois du Portugal in my wardrobe.

Some super fast impressions of Jo Malone samples:

Nectarine Blossom & Honey - 5/5
    Amber & Lavender - 4.75/5
    Sweet Lime & Cedar - 4/5
    Wild Bluebell - 4/5
    Vanilla & Anise - 3.75/5
    Grapefruit - 3.75/5
    White Jasmine & Mint - 3.75/5
    Red Roses - 3.75/5
    Orange Blossom - 3/5
    Pomegranate Noir - 2/5
    Lime Basil & Mandarin - 1/5

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquatic View Post
    Some super fast impressions of Jo Malone samples:

Nectarine Blossom & Honey - 5/5
    Amber & Lavender - 4.75/5
    Sweet Lime & Cedar - 4/5
    Wild Bluebell - 4/5
    Vanilla & Anise - 3.75/5
    Grapefruit - 3.75/5
    White Jasmine & Mint - 3.75/5
    Red Roses - 3.75/5
    Orange Blossom - 3/5
    Pomegranate Noir - 2/5
    Lime Basil & Mandarin - 1/5
    This is not the place to review any fragrance you feel like reviewing! You can comment on the frags being reviewed by the gentlemen, only!

southerngardens

- - - Updated - - -

I got a nice smokiness out of this one too, and was briefly reminded of the smell of my rosewood guitar. I wouldn't classify the smoke as incense, however. For some reason, I was expecting leather, but the leather never showed up- so I thought I missed something of the dry down by going to bed some 4 hours after application but upon further research, I've found that it's not an actual note in the composition.

I could see this one as a supplement to Bois du Portugal in my wardrobe.
    Once again Jaunderer, you are the first younger Gentlemen to appreciate Jacomo de Jacomo, though it was a popular 80's scent and doesn't have any oud in it! LOL JDJ's composition took artistry to make a unique herbal, smokey and woody scent like this. It does open sharply, but most of the frags of the time did. I see that you may put it on your wishlist, Good for you! Go vintage or go home though. The new version out now is no comparison to this vintage. You can find a demonstrator bottle on eBay in the men's used fragrances. It comes in a tall black plastic bottle with a hairspray like trigger that won't work, but it's easy to pop it off and decant the bottle into another atomizer.

southerngardens

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the advice on where to find the vintage.

Trying Dzing! out now. I get a rubbery feel. Leather. There's definitely musk there. A sugary sweetness. Some ginger.

There's a definite animalic vibe to it, and I get something like a popcorn butter ~ kinda like a popcorn that's been sitting under the lamp for a little too long... almost a urine smell to it, but it's not exactly offensive.

I'm liking it so far.

Jaunderer, can't wait to hear your full review on Guerlain Vetiver Extreme!

southerngardens

- - - Updated - - -

I have invited the member above that is interested in trying to organizing another sample pass to PM for some advice and Thank You Smelly Scientist, I think a Spring/ Summer Men's Fragrance Sample Pass would be great! I am going to advise that he use your idea Smelly Scientist as the theme for his pass! Great Contribution!

southerngardens
    Thumbs up dude

Basenotes Plus

The drydown is equal parts leather, sweetness, and a floral characteristic. When my girlfriend got home, she kissed me and this is exactly the conversation we had when greeting each other: "ooh! What are you wearing?" "Dzing! " "I like it!"

The leather smells clean. Kinda like a leather booth in a diner that has just been wiped cleaned after the party eating there late at night has just left. I'm guessing it's the saffron that gives the camphor character that plays well with the sugary sweetness.

I'd been curious about Dzing! since I joined basenotes, and it fulfilled my expectations. It wasn't exactly like I imagined, but it hit the right marks.
    Last edited by juanderer; 10th March 2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: fixed phone's erred predictions

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The drydown is equal parts leather, sweetness, and a floral characteristic. When my girlfriend got home, she kissed me and this is exactly the conversation we had when greeting each other: "ooh! What are you wearing?" "Dzing! " "I like it!"

The leather smells clean. Kinda lime a leather booth in a dinner that has just been wiped cleaned after the party eating there late at night has just left.. I'm guessing it's the saffron that gives it the camphor character that plays well with the sugary sweetness.

I'd been curious about Dzing! since I joined basenotes,and it fulfilled my expectations. It wasn't exactly like I imagined, but it hit the right marks.
    Jaunderer, I amglad that you find Dzing! likable. It does help to have our companions like what we'er wearing as well! You've done a great job on this review!

southerngardens
    Last edited by southerngardens; 10th March 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Basenotes Plus

L'Artisan Parfumeur - Al Oudh: Slightly boozy sweetness at the opening. I detect the dates in this as well as the pepper with just a subtle hint of the cumin. There was a smokiness, too, which seems to have gone 20 minutes in.

I don't know if it's because I am wearing it, but it reminds me a lot of my own body odor, which is slightly sweet on its own.

That said, it is a very inoffensive oud frag (so far). There was some rose that seems to be coming back now, and I am getting some cinnamon as well. In fact, I get a lot more cinnamon off my wrist than off my antecubital (where I get more of the sweet/booze vibe).

As others have mentioned above, it's a very safe oud. Up until now, I considered M7 to be the "safest" oud-centric fragrance I'd been exposed to. Al Oudh takes that spot now.

It seems like both Artisan scents are perfectly unisex so far. We'll see what the dry down has in store.

- - - Updated - - -

Al Oudh's drydown showed a bit of rose with the booziness/sweetness described above. Nice scent, but not something I'd go after.

Ungaro III: The opening is super volatile and lemony. Citrus, citrus, citrus, and lavender. The Citrus actually stayed through the life of the scent and the rose took over the violet towards the end. It was all about the violet initially, and it gradually left way for the rose. Nice transition. I didn't get much of a difference from end to finish otherwise.

Guerlain's Habit Rouge starts with a dry lemon-lime assault. There's a fresh basil and a bit of rosewood there as well.

A few minutes in and the cinnamon and rose come through. This reminds me of Ungaro III a bit in the opening although they ar markedly different a few minutes in.

There is something that clashes in the middle. Not sure if it's woods V woods or woods V flowers. There's also some leather trying to sneak in. But the woods hold it back in the heart somewhat.

I can already decide that it's not for me. I would actually pick Ungaro III over it.

Part of the clash I detected before was the amber. The vanilla is very subtle. The oddness of that "clash" is leaving and the carnation and especially the rose become more distinct.

The drydown takes on a powdery character with the amber and vanilla. The rose is still present here and it's much more enjoyable, in my opinion, than in earlier in the life of the fragrance.

It does smell like a red jacket.

A (male) coworker walked into my office and said something like "it smells good in here, whatever that is I'm smelling."

I'd say that Jacomo de Jacomo, Ungaro III, and Habit Rouge are quite similar considering the differences in their compositions. If I had to rank them I'd put JdJ first, Habit Rouge second, and Ungaro III third. However, I find Ungaro to be more consistent than HR (especially that discordance when moving from the head to the heart of the scent), but HR dries down wonderfully and shows many different facets whereas Ungaro is more linear.
    Last edited by juanderer; 11th March 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

So Jaunderer, the dry down on Al Ouhd sunk it for you just as things were going well? That's too bad, but honest. Thanks for the great review!
    Ungaro III was an eye opener and turned very lemony on you with a touch of lavender and you felt the citrus accord made it's way all the way through the frag. I don't remember that much citrus, but this is your nose and your review. I never picked up on violet either. I do agree Ungaro III is somewhat linear though. I think you could get used to wearing this one on occasion? Right or wrong? Good review!
    Your impression of Guerlain Habit Rouge was somewhat similar to other younger gentlemen, but they always came to the conclusion that they didn't like it. However, in your case the mid notes were odd to you, but you did like the opening and the drydown. It's my opinion that given a chance to try Habit Rouge some more you may come to like and appreciate it. It's just a hunch and I think your nose is going to mature sooner than others. Jaunderer, that was a telling review and well done!
    I was right! If you got a chance to sample Ungaro III, Habit Rouge and Jacomo de Jacomo a bit more you might get to like and respect them a bit more. That's promising and you did a great job with your reviews!

Hey Southergardens do you think these samples could make their way up to me in Canada after you guys are done with them? I'd love to give them a try.

Basenotes Plus

Al Oudh was nice overall, just not something I'd want from an oud frag.

Ungaro III stayed 'fresh' throughout with the citrus/lavender combo, if that makes sense.

I'm liking Habit Rouge even more now, but yes, that transition from the top to the middle was a bit weird.