Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 83 of 83
  1. #61
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Hey Southergardens do you think these samples could make their way up to me in Canada after you guys are done with them? I'd love to give them a try.
    The rule of the sample pass is : the last sampler gets to keep what remains of the samples. The Smelly Scientist is the next and last sampler. You can try to make a deal with him.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  2. #62
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Kenzo Jungle Homme: Another one that opens with a burst of lime. I can identify the hierba mate, but only after I read that it is in the note pyramid.
    After that initial impression, I also got a nice milky nutmeg. It actually reminded me of the oddest White Russian I've had- the bartender grated fresh nutmeg onto it, and overdid it to my taste. In Kenzo Jungle, the nutmeg is not overdone. I am really enjoying this so far (at the 30 minute mark).

    The drydown shows vetiver (which carries the lime through), sandalwood, and cedar.

    At little over three hours, it seems to be practically gone from my wrists. I've since put on a jacket, so I can't judge the rest of my arms. I still get a presence from my chest, though, but it does seem that the longevity on this one is not stellar.

    Good fragrance.

  3. #63
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Kenzo Jungle Homme: Another one that opens with a burst of lime. I can identify the hierba mate, but only after I read that it is in the note pyramid.
    After that initial impression, I also got a nice milky nutmeg. It actually reminded me of the oddest White Russian I've had- the bartender grated fresh nutmeg onto it, and overdid it to my taste. In Kenzo Jungle, the nutmeg is not overdone. I am really enjoying this so far (at the 30 minute mark).

    The drydown shows vetiver (which carries the lime through), sandalwood, and cedar.

    At little over three hours, it seems to be practically gone from my wrists. I've since put on a jacket, so I can't judge the rest of my arms. I still get a presence from my chest, though, but it does seem that the longevity on this one is not stellar.

    Good fragrance.
    Jungle Pour Homme by Kenzo

    I love this frag for spring/summer including the cool bottle with the Zebra Mane on the lid. I pick up the lime you did Jaunderer, but the nutmeg I didn't recognize and knew there was something in the middle notes that made this frag interesting. Then the dry down comes around is quite woody, but I find it missing something to keep Jungle more interesting.
    I have heard reviews in numerous places about Jungles longevity. Some experience short longevity, but most find it long lasting. I have dry skin and it does not last as long for me either.

    Nice review Jaunderer!

    southerngardens

    -
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  4. #64
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Juanderer you are doing an awesome job with the reviews

    I think your girlfriend has good taste if she liked Dzing!

    I need to post my own experiences with Habit Rouge vintage EdT. Maybe tomorrow I'll wear it to work and post on this thread (I own a FB). It's an amazing fragrance and I also love smelling it on others too (my boss wears it sometimes, he's French). The vintage juice has a solid depth to it that is missing from the new juice. I personally never experienced a dissonance between the top and middle notes but then again I'm a sucker for the Guerlinade so I'm a bit biased. The subtle animalic/leather note in HR is my favorite part, it really does smell like a fine, luxurious horse saddle in a very crisp, dusty, gentlemanly way.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  5. #65
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Thanks, Mike!

    Yes, shortly after saying she liked Dzing!, she told me she had just found some old samples she had and pulled out Lonestar Memories and gave it to me (said she wanted to smell it on me). I told her I'd been meaning to try more of Tauer's frags for a while, and she pulled out a handful of them and some ELDOs! Her favorite of theirs is Tilda Swinton - Like This I thought to myself "yep, she's a keeper" which I already knew, but that was just a reminder. Actually, my first glimpse at her being into fragrances was when she told me her routine for special night's out after I asked what perfume she was wearing - over a few years, she found a body wash, lotion, and shampoo that matched and/or layered well with her favorite perfume (each item from different brands, so it took her a few years and some luck). One time she mentioned that she never thought I'd be more obsessed about fragrances than she is.

    Anyway, back to the sample pass frags:

    I loved the dry down of Habit Rouge, so I will have to try it again. I should point out that I only noticed the dissonance on my wrists, so either I found the first frag that really goes wrong on me, or an external factor interacted with the frag and fouled it up. After I was ready to declare it gone, I got home from work, smelled my antecubitals, and the dry down was there in all its glory.

    I'm wearing Aigner No 2 today: The start is lavender and citrus, but not as loud as the previous lavender bombs.

    Towards the middle it takes on an almost medicinal/herbal vibe with a woodsy backdrop. This then quiets down to a powderiness- yes, this would make a great soap. Smelling it off my wrist at the dry down makes me feel as if I were smelling a nice bar of soap at a shop before deciding if I should buy it.

    I know there's rose in this, but the rose is not as present as in the previous samples from this pass that I've reviewed. Even though this is one more of the lavender-to-rose fougeres in the pack, it's a lot less subdued and abrasive. This one is about controlled elegance where JdJ is almost arrogant in its presence.

  6. #66
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Juanderer you are doing an awesome job with the reviews

    I think your girlfriend has good taste if she liked Dzing!

    I need to post my own experiences with Habit Rouge vintage EdT. Maybe tomorrow I'll wear it to work and post on this thread (I own a FB). It's an amazing fragrance and I also love smelling it on others too (my boss wears it sometimes, he's French). The vintage juice has a solid depth to it that is missing from the new juice. I personally never experienced a dissonance between the top and middle notes but then again I'm a sucker for the Guerlinade so I'm a bit biased. The subtle animalic/leather note in HR is my favorite part, it really does smell like a fine, luxurious horse saddle in a very crisp, dusty, gentlemanly way.
    Thanks Mike for sharing your inspiration and experience with us! REALLY looking forward to your review on Habit Rouge!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Thanks, Mike!

    Yes, shortly after saying she liked Dzing!, she told me she had just found some old samples she had and pulled out Lonestar Memories and gave it to me (said she wanted to smell it on me). I told her I'd been meaning to try more of Tauer's frags for a while, and she pulled out a handful of them and some ELDOs! Her favorite of theirs is Tilda Swinton - Like This I thought to myself "yep, she's a keeper" which I already knew, but that was just a reminder. Actually, my first glimpse at her being into fragrances was when she told me her routine for special night's out after I asked what perfume she was wearing - over a few years, she found a body wash, lotion, and shampoo that matched and/or layered well with her favorite perfume (each item from different brands, so it took her a few years and some luck). One time she mentioned that she never thought I'd be more obsessed about fragrances than she is.

    Anyway, back to the sample pass frags:

    I loved the dry down of Habit Rouge, so I will have to try it again. I should point out that I only noticed the dissonance on my wrists, so either I found the first frag that really goes wrong on me, or an external factor interacted with the frag and fouled it up. After I was ready to declare it gone, I got home from work, smelled my antecubitals, and the dry down was there in all its glory.

    I'm wearing Aigner No 2 today: The start is lavender and citrus, but not as loud as the previous lavender bombs.

    Towards the middle it takes on an almost medicinal/herbal vibe with a woodsy backdrop. This then quiets down to a powderiness- yes, this would make a great soap. Smelling it off my wrist at the dry down makes me feel as if I were smelling a nice bar of soap at a shop before deciding if I should buy it.

    I know there's rose in this, but the rose is not as present as in the previous samples from this pass that I've reviewed. Even though this is one more of the lavender-to-rose fougeres in the pack, it's a lot less subdued and abrasive. This one is about controlled elegance where JdJ is almost arrogant in its presence.
    Great story Jaunderer! It's funny how sometimes we let our loved ones become our main sounding boards as far as frags go. However, we want to keep them attracted!
    I am glad that Mike and I share the same attraction to Habit Rouge, otherwise I don't think you would give it another try. Like I said after your review of Habit Rouge, I believed that if you gave it more than one shot, you might like it.

    You really are doing a wonderful job at reviewing and the review of Eitenne Aigner No.2 shows that. Aigner no.2 is another frag from the 80's that was well done, IMO. Almost all the 80's frags shared something in common and you hit upon a lavender to rose accord between E.Aigner No. 2 and Jacomo de Jacomo. I love the Aigner no.2!and I think you hit it on the head with the phrase you used "This one(Eitenne Aigner No.2) is about controlled elegance where JdJ is almost arrogant in its presence."

    southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  7. #67
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Thanks Mike for sharing your inspiration and experience with us! REALLY looking forward to your review on Habit Rouge!
    I wore the vintage EdT + vintage Deodorant yesterday but honestly I was so busy I didn't have a chance to post a review and now that I'm wearing another fragrance I feel like I want to write about this one when I'm actually wearing the scent. Will do later on.

    southerngardens - is the Aigner No. 2 that we smelled vintage juice or just the new stuff on shelves?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  8. #68
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse: At first I got... nothing. It was a very volatile burst of very light citrus. I can detect the grapefruitiness of it and the flowers, but it's not exactly a distinct bunch of notes. The composition is very simple and it shows. Citrus fruits at the top, flowers in the middle, and Amber at the base. I get a smokey vibe to it, too, but again; it's not loud by any means.

    The citrus is gone after 15 minutes. After that it's all about the flowers over the amber base.

    This smells good by projection, but when I try to smell it more directly (by bringing my nose close to where I applied), it appears as if it shyly hides.

    I kept putting this one off hoping that the perfect hot, sunny day would come around, but today's 68 degrees seem to be as close to that as the last week has been.

    Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse is a good fresh scent, but it's very distant from being potent. To me, it puts in perspective why most modern fresh fragrances favor synthetics.

  9. #69
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore the vintage EdT + vintage Deodorant yesterday but honestly I was so busy I didn't have a chance to post a review and now that I'm wearing another fragrance I feel like I want to write about this one when I'm actually wearing the scent. Will do later on.

    southerngardens - is the Aigner No. 2 that we smelled vintage juice or just the new stuff on shelves?
    Hi Mike, It is vintage 80's juice, of course!

    southerngardens

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse: At first I got... nothing. It was a very volatile burst of very light citrus. I can detect the grapefruitiness of it and the flowers, but it's not exactly a distinct bunch of notes. The composition is very simple and it shows. Citrus fruits at the top, flowers in the middle, and Amber at the base. I get a smokey vibe to it, too, but again; it's not loud by any means.

    The citrus is gone after 15 minutes. After that it's all about the flowers over the amber base.

    This smells good by projection, but when I try to smell it more directly (by bringing my nose close to where I applied), it appears as if it shyly hides.

    I kept putting this one off hoping that the perfect hot, sunny day would come around, but today's 68 degrees seem to be as close to that as the last week has been.

    Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse is a good fresh scent, but it's very distant from being potent. To me, it puts in perspective why most modern fresh fragrances favor synthetics.
    Jaunderer, I had not sampled this frag before sending it out to you guys, but I got a hint of it's shyness from it's name, especially the mandarin pamplemousse part. It signals, not a screamer here! It does sound nice for a hot summer day.
    Thanks for the great review!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  10. #70
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    The day that I spent moving (I moved into a new apartment a couple weeks ago), I actually wore the Creed (lightly applied, there was only a tiny amount of juice). Of course, since this is such a natural citrus scent, this is the type of scent that you should really over apply, so it was the opposite of how I would have liked to have applied it.

    I love it! It's mandarin-grapefruit-tastic, but a very natural, non-urinous (like the Guerlain, Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune - that one's got that cat pee smell!!!) and floral citrus with that wonderful sweet and ambery roundness to it that makes it very wearable, less cologne-y (or more unisex) and versatile. It does have that annoying Creed-ambergris-note that I am a little bored by, at this point, but that's a small detraction from such a wonderful scent.

    The only other mandarin scent that I think is as enjoyable is the Acqua di Parma Blu Meditterano one, Arancia but it is slightly less natural smelling.

    My goal is to one of these days, get a decant of this in the HOT Summertime weather we have here in Miami and literally douse myself with it.

    I like citrus scents that stick, but as many of you have already mentioned, this means they're also less natural smelling. There is something charming and homespun about wearing a citrus scent that lasts for less than an hour (like Imperiale by Guerlain or Colonia by Acqua di Parma). It does what its intended to do, it fades - end of story. The fragrance equivalent of a 'quickie'! What's not to love. lol
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  11. #71
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Wonderful review Mike! I didn't get a chance to sample it before sending it out! It sounds like a pretty good citrus except for the ambergis accord!
    Sorry there was so little left and it was a 2ml sample. I guess someone got a little too happy with the samples before sending them on?

    southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  12. #72
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    There is a creamy element to the Creed that is very distinctive. It's not what you'd expect from a masculine citrus 'cologne' type of scent, and this is what excited me. When Creed uses floral deftly, it really is impressive. Like the whiff of rose in Windsor and the sweet pea note in Selection Verte. They take a sort of mundane ho-hum citrus accord and give it a nice polish and luxuriousness.

    I'm so not a Creed fanboy, but my nose doesn't lie: When a scent smells good, it just smells good.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  13. #73
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The day that I spent moving (I moved into a new apartment a couple weeks ago), I actually wore the Creed (lightly applied, there was only a tiny amount of juice). Of course, since this is such a natural citrus scent, this is the type of scent that you should really over apply, so it was the opposite of how I would have liked to have applied it.

    I love it! It's mandarin-grapefruit-tastic, but a very natural, non-urinous (like the Guerlain, Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune - that one's got that cat pee smell!!!) and floral citrus with that wonderful sweet and ambery roundness to it that makes it very wearable, less cologne-y (or more unisex) and versatile. It does have that annoying Creed-ambergris-note that I am a little bored by, at this point, but that's a small detraction from such a wonderful scent.

    The only other mandarin scent that I think is as enjoyable is the Acqua di Parma Blu Meditterano one, Arancia but it is slightly less natural smelling.

    My goal is to one of these days, get a decant of this in the HOT Summertime weather we have here in Miami and literally douse myself with it.

    I like citrus scents that stick, but as many of you have already mentioned, this means they're also less natural smelling. There is something charming and homespun about wearing a citrus scent that lasts for less than an hour (like Imperiale by Guerlain or Colonia by Acqua di Parma). It does what its intended to do, it fades - end of story. The fragrance equivalent of a 'quickie'! What's not to love. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    There is a creamy element to the Creed that is very distinctive. It's not what you'd expect from a masculine citrus 'cologne' type of scent, and this is what excited me. When Creed uses floral deftly, it really is impressive. Like the whiff of rose in Windsor and the sweet pea note in Selection Verte. They take a sort of mundane ho-hum citrus accord and give it a nice polish and luxuriousness.

    I'm so not a Creed fanboy, but my nose doesn't lie: When a scent smells good, it just smells good.
    The creaminess sounds interesting as well. Your right, not what I would expect from a men's frag. I guess I am going to have to track down another sample!

    Thanks,

    southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  14. #74
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Wonderful review Mike! I didn't get a chance to sample it before sending it out!
    Serious? How generous of you. Next time, please treat yourself to a sniff...this is good stuff.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  15. #75
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Serious? How generous of you. Next time, please treat yourself to a sniff...this is good stuff.
    Like you said, I am not a Creed Fanboy,so, I said why bother! and sent it on.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  16. #76
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    juanderer - did you review the Tom Ford for Men yet?

    I wore it today. It's been years since I smelled it. Probably, the year it was released - since then I don't remember smelling it again. It's, as I said earlier, not a favorite of mine.

    There's the bright citrus top notes, slightly pungent and spicy (mildly spicy) and then there's woods/tobacco/synthetic-wwoody-amber-base notes. It's as if all of the other notes are mashed together into one single note (most likely I am very sensitive to whatever it is that's in the base notes) and I don't detect the notes separately anymore I just smell the entire full accord of TFFM at once.

    Come to think of it, I have smelled this one on many guys, here-and-there. I would say this is the type of scent the 20 year old guys I work with would wear. Going out. Sort of as a signature scent. The synthetic base note isn't offensive but it screams 'safe' and it also smells like 50-100 other masculine releases that have come out since TFFM did.

    The projection and longevity were average for me, but to be fair I applied it after the gym today, so perhaps my body heat burned off some of the notes a bit quicker...still, I can't imagine reaching for this on a regular basis.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  17. #77
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    juanderer - did you review the Tom Ford for Men yet?

    I wore it today. It's been years since I smelled it. Probably, the year it was released - since then I don't remember smelling it again. It's, as I said earlier, not a favorite of mine.

    There's the bright citrus top notes, slightly pungent and spicy (mildly spicy) and then there's woods/tobacco/synthetic-wwoody-amber-base notes. It's as if all of the other notes are mashed together into one single note (most likely I am very sensitive to whatever it is that's in the base notes) and I don't detect the notes separately anymore I just smell the entire full accord of TFFM at once.

    Come to think of it, I have smelled this one on many guys, here-and-there. I would say this is the type of scent the 20 year old guys I work with would wear. Going out. Sort of as a signature scent. The synthetic base note isn't offensive but it screams 'safe' and it also smells like 50-100 other masculine releases that have come out since TFFM did.

    The projection and longevity were average for me, but to be fair I applied it after the gym today, so perhaps my body heat burned off some of the notes a bit quicker...still, I can't imagine reaching for this on a regular basis.
    I agree Mike that this is a safe scent to wear,anytime, anywhere and probably sells well because of that. If you know little about frags this would be a safe buy. You are lucky that you get average or better longevity with TFFM. I barely get 2 hours. It's not a frag I would buy a whole bottle of. Thanks for your review!

    southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  18. #78
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Who's got the samples?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  19. #79
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Who's got the samples?
    Mike,

    Jaunderer should have them and then they go to The Smelly Scientist.

    southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  20. #80
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    juanderer - did you review the Tom Ford for Men yet?
    I did, yes, it was the first I sampled from the pass. My impressions were pretty much the same as yours. It was a nice scent, but nothing extraordinary. If I remember correctly, it made me think that I'd rather go for Spicebomb than TFFM.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Compiling all my reviews for easier reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Tom Ford for Men:

    First thought: Round. Nothing edgy about this one. The violet leaf wants to jump out, but it's placated by the citruses and spices. There is a synthetic quality to it that is well-disguised in the composition and this makes it even pleasant.

    The pepper opens way to the heart phase of the scent and the tobacco becomes apparent and brings the amber along with woods (most notable cedar). The dry down is dry and slightly sweet and powdery. I don't get any vetiver out of this one. Nice but nothing to write home about (writing to a discussion forum about it is okay).
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Trying Guerlain Vetiver Extreme today. First impressions: Dry. There's a volatile/synthetic characteristic to it at first sniff. Some five minutes in and it calms down. I even pictured fresh-cut trees. At fifteen minutes it is less loud and I perceive a powdery/almost creamy quality to it. I get some lemon zest and spice.


    I'm sure he won't mind. Heck, the ladies do it quite often in the female fragrance discussion! The more of these, the better. It's a great learning experience to be able to pass samples around and exchange opinions. It'd be nice to be able to keep each sample pass within a theme, but that will come as more people get involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I really got into Vetiver Extreme as the time went on. Unfortunately, it didn't last as much as I would have liked- it is almost completely gone from my skin at around 8 hours when most other fragrances (even those that everyone complains about lacking in longevity) stick around if even subtly for 10-12 hrs. It's still well perceivable on my shirt though. Towards the middle, the citrus went into an overripe orange territory, but it was still enjoyable. It put an image of a half-eaten orange that had been out drying in the sun for a couple of days.

    Vetiver (the note) is one of my favorites. Guerlain's Extreme has a raw edge reminiscent of Turtle's Back (though not as LOUD-LOUD-LOUD), and at moments also reminded me on Mona di Orio's take on Vetyver, so I'd class it somewhere in between those two if its performance were more comparable to them (I get a good 12 hrs out of Mona's and a ridiculous 96+ hrs on clothes from LesNez's).

    It's still a nice fragrance that I could see myself wearing more when out and-about running errands, rather than at the office.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Just sprayed my right wrist with Jacomo de Jacomo a couple of minutes ago: LOVE AT FIRST SMELL!

    Love the lavender burst in this one. The clove... I get a slight camphor/moth balls vibe in the opening that should be off-putting, but I can't take my nose away from my wrist. I am definitely buying this one regardless of what happens in the heart and dry down- don't worry, I'll still review it.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad I only did one spray. If I had done more, I would have passed out by now. I get more herbs now that the violet died down a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I got a nice smokiness out of this one too, and was briefly reminded of the smell of my rosewood guitar. I wouldn't classify the smoke as incense, however. For some reason, I was expecting leather, but the leather never showed up- so I thought I missed something of the dry down by going to bed some 4 hours after application but upon further research, I've found that it's not an actual note in the composition.

    I could see this one as a supplement to Bois du Portugal in my wardrobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Trying Dzing! out now. I get a rubbery feel. Leather. There's definitely musk there. A sugary sweetness. Some ginger.

    There's a definite animalic vibe to it, and I get something like a popcorn butter ~ kinda like a popcorn that's been sitting under the lamp for a little too long... almost a urine smell to it, but it's not exactly offensive.

    I'm liking it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    The drydown is equal parts leather, sweetness, and a floral characteristic. When my girlfriend got home, she kissed me and this is exactly the conversation we had when greeting each other: "ooh! What are you wearing?" "Dzing! " "I like it!"

    The leather smells clean. Kinda like a leather booth in a diner that has just been wiped cleaned after the party eating there late at night has just left. I'm guessing it's the saffron that gives the camphor character that plays well with the sugary sweetness.

    I'd been curious about Dzing! since I joined basenotes, and it fulfilled my expectations. It wasn't exactly like I imagined, but it hit the right marks.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Al Oudh: Slightly boozy sweetness at the opening. I detect the dates in this as well as the pepper with just a subtle hint of the cumin. There was a smokiness, too, which seems to have gone 20 minutes in.

    I don't know if it's because I am wearing it, but it reminds me a lot of my own body odor, which is slightly sweet on its own.

    That said, it is a very inoffensive oud frag (so far). There was some rose that seems to be coming back now, and I am getting some cinnamon as well. In fact, I get a lot more cinnamon off my wrist than off my antecubital (where I get more of the sweet/booze vibe).

    As others have mentioned above, it's a very safe oud. Up until now, I considered M7 to be the "safest" oud-centric fragrance I'd been exposed to. Al Oudh takes that spot now.

    It seems like both Artisan scents are perfectly unisex so far. We'll see what the dry down has in store.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Al Oudh's drydown showed a bit of rose with the booziness/sweetness described above. Nice scent, but not something I'd go after.

    Ungaro III: The opening is super volatile and lemony. Citrus, citrus, citrus, and lavender. The Citrus actually stayed through the life of the scent and the rose took over the violet towards the end. It was all about the violet initially, and it gradually left way for the rose. Nice transition. I didn't get much of a difference from end to finish otherwise.


    Guerlain's Habit Rouge starts with a dry lemon-lime assault. There's a fresh basil and a bit of rosewood there as well.

    A few minutes in and the cinnamon and rose come through. This reminds me of Ungaro III a bit in the opening although they ar markedly different a few minutes in.

    There is something that clashes in the middle. Not sure if it's woods V woods or woods V flowers. There's also some leather trying to sneak in. But the woods hold it back in the heart somewhat.

    I can already decide that it's not for me. I would actually pick Ungaro III over it.

    Part of the clash I detected before was the amber. The vanilla is very subtle. The oddness of that "clash" is leaving and the carnation and especially the rose become more distinct.

    The drydown takes on a powdery character with the amber and vanilla. The rose is still present here and it's much more enjoyable, in my opinion, than in earlier in the life of the fragrance.

    It does smell like a red jacket.

    A (male) coworker walked into my office and said something like "it smells good in here, whatever that is I'm smelling."

    I'd say that Jacomo de Jacomo, Ungaro III, and Habit Rouge are quite similar considering the differences in their compositions. If I had to rank them I'd put JdJ first, Habit Rouge second, and Ungaro III third. However, I find Ungaro to be more consistent than HR (especially that discordance when moving from the head to the heart of the scent), but HR dries down wonderfully and shows many different facets whereas Ungaro is more linear.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I'm liking Habit Rouge even more now, but yes, that transition from the top to the middle was a bit weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post

    I loved the dry down of Habit Rouge, so I will have to try it again. I should point out that I only noticed the dissonance on my wrists, so either I found the first frag that really goes wrong on me, or an external factor interacted with the frag and fouled it up. After I was ready to declare it gone, I got home from work, smelled my antecubitals, and the dry down was there in all its glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Kenzo Jungle Homme: Another one that opens with a burst of lime. I can identify the hierba mate, but only after I read that it is in the note pyramid.
    After that initial impression, I also got a nice milky nutmeg. It actually reminded me of the oddest White Russian I've had- the bartender grated fresh nutmeg onto it, and overdid it to my taste. In Kenzo Jungle, the nutmeg is not overdone. I am really enjoying this so far (at the 30 minute mark).

    The drydown shows vetiver (which carries the lime through), sandalwood, and cedar.

    At little over three hours, it seems to be practically gone from my wrists. I've since put on a jacket, so I can't judge the rest of my arms. I still get a presence from my chest, though, but it does seem that the longevity on this one is not stellar.

    Good fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I'm wearing Aigner No 2 today: The start is lavender and citrus, but not as loud as the previous lavender bombs.

    Towards the middle it takes on an almost medicinal/herbal vibe with a woodsy backdrop. This then quiets down to a powderiness- yes, this would make a great soap. Smelling it off my wrist at the dry down makes me feel as if I were smelling a nice bar of soap at a shop before deciding if I should buy it.

    I know there's rose in this, but the rose is not as present as in the previous samples from this pass that I've reviewed. Even though this is one more of the lavender-to-rose fougeres in the pack, it's a lot less subdued and abrasive. This one is about controlled elegance where JdJ is almost arrogant in its presence.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse: At first I got... nothing. It was a very volatile burst of very light citrus. I can detect the grapefruitiness of it and the flowers, but it's not exactly a distinct bunch of notes. The composition is very simple and it shows. Citrus fruits at the top, flowers in the middle, and Amber at the base. I get a smokey vibe to it, too, but again; it's not loud by any means.

    The citrus is gone after 15 minutes. After that it's all about the flowers over the amber base.

    This smells good by projection, but when I try to smell it more directly (by bringing my nose close to where I applied), it appears as if it shyly hides.

    I kept putting this one off hoping that the perfect hot, sunny day would come around, but today's 68 degrees seem to be as close to that as the last week has been.

    Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse is a good fresh scent, but it's very distant from being potent. To me, it puts in perspective why most modern fresh fragrances favor synthetics.
    Sample pass shall be getting to The Smelly Scientist on Monday.

    I forgot to try Habit Rouge again.

  21. #81
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Thanks J!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  22. #82
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    Any update on this? The sample pass shows as received ten days ago but still no reviews from Eggy.

  23. #83
    Dependent The Smelly Scientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN (Japan in spirit...)
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: Men's Sample Pass Reviews Only-Readers and Comments Welcome!

    I apologize that it has taken me so long to get these reviews up. I was away on vacation and I've been trying to test everything as quickly as possible. I am finally finished, and I would like to post up some brief reviews, because it's going into exam time and I just don't have the time to post up the same lengthy reviews that I usually do.

    I decided that throughout the testing, I would not look at any reviews or notes, and just give my absolute unbiased impressions. If they seem off or I am detecting a note that doesn't actually exist, then please forgive me.

    Here we go....

    Vetiver Extreme: Very very similar to Lorenzo Villerosi's Vetiver with that interesting cinnamon-y vibe. As it dried down it became a bit less intense. Definitely more versatile than LVV, but not my kind of vetiver. It's a bit too dirty by the end, and I prefer a more refreshing vetiver.

    Ungaro III: I couldn't put my finger on the notes of this one. It seemed very woody, but also quite generic. As it dried down more and more, it turned into a fruity version of Abercrombie Fierce. If I had to compare it to anything I would say that it's a combination of Fierce and John Varvatos. Interesting, but again, not really something that caught my attention.

    Pamplemousse Mandarin: Immediately upon applicatoin I was reminded of Jo Malone's Lime Basil Mandarin, but without a certain note that I find offputting (probably the basil). This is a very fresh, very linear, nice quality fragrance. It's very green, and I could see myself wearing it in the warmer weather. Unfortunately longevity seems poor and there are about a hundred other fragrances I would rather wear. Kind of surprised that Creed would released such a boring fragrance.

    Tom Ford for men: It feels like there are a ton of notes in this fragrance. There is so much going on that at first it is really hard to analyze. As it dries down, I still have a hard time picking out notes, but I found it to be a very masculine, very refined fragrance. It's like Tom Ford was able to amplify the natural essence of what a man should smell like. I could see this as going great with a suit. Very nice, but again, nothing exceptional.

    Dzing: Wow.... musky poo. People who like Musc Ravageur will probably love this stuff. I did not.

    Etienne Aigner: Just another soapy '80s scent. I don't understand these, and I don't own a single one. I want to wash my clothes in this fragrance, but I don't want it on my skin.

    Jacomo: Again, soapy. This time it's more like a bar of soap that has been dropped in the woods. I really don't see the big pull of these soapy fragrances, but I am suddenly eager to try Kouros...

    Al Oudh: Get it off me. Jesus. This stuff is horrible. Who would want to smell like this?
    Filthy man sweat. This stuff reminds me of the hallways in my high school after a group of stinky kids had walked through; you know, the kids who never bathed and always smelled horrible. Maybe they were just wearing Al Oudh...
    My first scrubber, and hopefully my last.

    Habit Rouge: There's so much praise for this fragrance, especially the vintage HR, but I just don't see it. I got a nice, very high quality lavender, that is a bit soapy at first, but dries down to something very warm. Definitely nothing that I find exceptional. Maybe I just don't have as refined a nose as many BNers... it just didn't do it for me.

    So far...9/10 are no-gos.

    HOWEVER... There was one gem in the bunch:

    Jungle: Yeah baby! This stuff is excellent!
    It's a nutmeg bomb. It makes me salivate, yet it doesn't have that gourmand quality, becuase it's not really as food-y as many of the gourmands out there. It's creamy, and it lasts forever! Fantastic projection as well. I gave it 3 wearings because i loved it so much. If I didn't have to fund my site right now, I would have bought a bottle.

    Thank you to everyone for providing me the opportunity to sample all these. I wish there were more that I loved, but it was a great experience anyway.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)


    Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Similar Threads

  1. Assembling a Sample Pass
    By Schilling in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 15th February 2013, 05:02 AM
  2. Men's Sample Pass-CLOSED
    By southerngardens in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29th January 2013, 07:33 PM
  3. Sample pass: Weil Then and Now
    By jujy54 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 24th November 2012, 04:03 AM
  4. Chanel sample pass
    By Alityke in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd June 2012, 01:03 PM
  5. Sample pass & Reviews-Brecourt
    By Robin-in-FL in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 12th May 2011, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000