Code of Conduct

Question Rochas Man (cotton candy bomb)

Just bought it yesterday, really ambivalent on this..your thoughts? was it actually discontinued or is it just a local shops problem???
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Default Re: Rochas Man (cotton candy bomb)

Cotton candy? It's chocolate.
    After a few hours, I can't tell much difference between it and A*men.
    But I understand what your ambivalence. I've rarely worn it.
    Cheers,
    Renato

It smells good in small doses and is good for the Winter.

It feels more like burn sugar and coffee to me. A well done gourmand.

I don't think it's been discontinued.
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
    Or what's a heaven for?"

- Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Cotton candy? It's chocolate.
    After a few hours, I can't tell much difference between it and A*men.
    But I understand what your ambivalence. I've rarely worn it.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    "ethyl maltol (cotton candy sweet) and homofuronol (caramel, bready, brown sugar)"

Personally own and like it.

I also own and like it and it has a fudge, mocha, even slightly floral suggestion underneath, also lots of caramel and even some forest berry suggestions (at least, from what I can sense). Unsure whether it was discontinued, but still easily available both online and in regular retail where I live.

Banned
    Blog Entries

rochas man is a decent fragrance, but i like new haarlem better.

the gourmand notes in rochas man i like a lot, but there are leafy and woody notes in there (which are VERY synthetic) that just detract from the whole experience. plus, that's probably the lowest quality lavendar note i've ever smelled. and i'm a big fan of lavendar fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Just bought it yesterday, really ambivalent on this..your thoughts? was it actually discontinued or is it just a local shops problem???
    I never have gotten the love for this. I've always joked that its something that comes with a special edition Strawberry Shortcake doll for my daughters. I don't get it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I do not get the comparison between this one and New Haarlem. This one is cotton candy all the way while New Haarlem is bitter coffee, they are miles apart

Too sweet for me, and I like sweet. Seems that I've seen on the shelves as of late, but I could be wrong.

Decent frag. 3 Sprays...Done!

If it smelled like cotton candy and had a trace of burnt sugar it would be better but as is it is far too sweet and I mean that in a cheap, straight-sugar candy type of way. All I get is sugary sweetness with nothing else to make it bearable or interesting, I definitely don't get any mocha which is what I had really hoped for. I have thus far been very disappointed by this fragrance.

It's your mind playing tricks on you. You see the pink box and bottle and you associate the sweetness with cotton candy.

Compare it to New Haarlem and Michael Jordan Legend, they all smell about 90% alike. But with NH and MJ you don't get cotton candy because the juice is colored amber and the bottle is clear, you get straight up coffee vibes.

Hmmm... this one sounds *way* too sweet for me. But I'll admit, it sounds like something alot of women would probably like.
    Pretty much, what women like, I don't. And what I like, they don't.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Cotton candy on me too but I like it. If I ever come across a screaming deal I'll get a small bottle.

It's still around. Perfume counters tend to hold onto the most popular or newest fragrances. Since Rochas Man is neither (although it has quite the following on the perfume forums), that's probably why you might not find it often in shops.

its a highley regarded frag on here for a reason

i won it and like it from time to time
    Check out my Narciso Rodriguez for Him youtube review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SImDN1VjOU

I just tried Cotton Club for Men for the first time, and it begins super sweet, which I'm guessing is due to a lot of ethyl maltol. If you can stand that, the drydown is natural smelling and the lavender isn't nearly as strong as in Rochas Man, so it may be a good alternative for many (and it's really cheap). Flowerbomb also is super sweet at first but then that dissipates after a couple hours or so and the base is quite good. It may be that when you detect that a lot of ethyl maltol is used you have to decide if you can wait for the drydown or if it's a "dealbreaker" for you.

Youtube reviews say Rochas Man is like Joop. Any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    Youtube reviews say Rochas Man is like Joop. Any truth to this?
    Well if you are used to aquatics then I could see how a casual scent wearer might think that. Once you get to sample a lot of different fragrances you will detect major differences.

Rochas Man is my best blind buy. Easy to wear, easy to like, great value. Not as sophisticated as DHI or LIDGE but I am pretty sure that average person would like it more than both mentioned. Smells good on women too.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

It certainly is sweet - but too synthetic smelling for me..

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    It's your mind playing tricks on you. You see the pink box and bottle and you associate the sweetness with cotton candy.

Compare it to New Haarlem and Michael Jordan Legend, they all smell about 90% alike. But with NH and MJ you don't get cotton candy because the juice is colored amber and the bottle is clear, you get straight up coffee vibes.
    I got mine without a box and had no idea that the box was pink. When I speak of the cotton candy vibe I mean that strictly in terms of it being sickly sweet but without the often delicious smell of caramelise/burnt sugar that comes with the making of the cotton candy. It's a real pity because that element would have been great but instead it reminds me of how cotton candy tastes: pure sugar and sweetness with a touch of artificial colourant.

I haven't smelled either of the other two frags you mention but if they are so similar to Rochas Man I doubt I will like them. I find it hilarious that the name of the fragrance is Rochas Man when this should be worn by young girls. Having said all that, with the amount of attention this gets by people on this board I will make sure that I retry it when I can get my hands on it in a store. Just to make sure that my bottle isn't irregular.

If you absolutely love pure sweetness then you will like Rochas Man.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I never have gotten the love for this. I've always joked that its something that comes with a special edition Strawberry Shortcake doll for my daughters. I don't get it.
    All I know is that my wife loves this stuff on me. She also loves Strawberry Shortcake so maybe I will pass along the doll to her. Or just keep it for myself. I know, JK! Truth be told, my wife likes almost all my scents. I'm a blessed dude.

has poor longevity and projection, won't be taken again!

It is pretty much undetectable on me after 20mins. I have got various people to smell me and they confirmed that they can barely tell if I am wearing anything. Did I get a bad batch possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by MTB79 View Post
    It is pretty much undetectable on me after 20mins. I have got various people to smell me and they confirmed that they can barely tell if I am wearing anything. Did I get a bad batch possibly?
    I have the same problem with Rochas Man.
    Most fragrances last for a long time on my skin, this one doesn't.

Don't let the immediate sweetness of Rochas Man fool you. Maurice Roucel’s creative style is one of contrasts– sweet with bitter, warm with fresh – such as the vanilla/rose in Tocade, or the lavender/coffee in New Haarlem. Rochas Man is much more complex than it's given credit for.

In regards to the longevity it seems to work fabulous on fabric but it's basically a skin scent. One of my best friends completely douses himself in this and I cannot detect it on him. He's done 10 + sprays and has never offended anybody with this so it's very quiet.

Sweet gourmand - own it and like it - does last long...

Quote Originally Posted by MTB79 View Post
    Yeah, the projection/sillage and longevity leaves a lot to be desired for me as well. Like it, but won't buy again. It's a shame, really.

Got to Love Rocha's Man. REason i's in my top 5

I like it in small doses....very good economical fragrance.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

eh, not a huge gourmand fan, but i had HM Hanae Mori, EDT and Parfum, at some point and i liked them better. they both had this nice lemony note that balanced all the sweet notes.

I love gourmands and this is no exception. I have this and wear it mainly around my house. I enjoy the scent but I have never received any compliment from it so I tend to wear it strictly for my own enjoyment and not out in public.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rochas Man

Overall Scent - 3/5 (very good composition, but a bit synthetic. too leafy for a gourmand)
    Versatility - 3.5/5 (good versatility)
    Originality - 4/5
    Projection - 4/5 (perfect. scent cloud but not overbearing)
    Longevity - 4/5 (i get 8+ hours)
    Value - 5/5 (for $30 this is a steal)
    Overall Rating - 3.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    Yeah, the projection/sillage and longevity leaves a lot to be desired for me as well. Like it, but won't buy again. It's a shame, really.
    Wore it again today but this time was liberal in my application. I smelt like a lavender shrub for 30mins then nothing. Unless people eat lavender shrubs, in 30mins flat, then this is not a gourmand on me.

just bought New Harlem, same vibe and in the words of Easy Andy (the gun trader in Taxi Driver)" a heck of a wallop"

Valentino V for Men reminds more of cotton candy, especially in the opening. Rochas Man gives off a different vibe to me, not cotton candy though.

Cotton candy bomb !? Yikes.... won't be adding this to my wardrobe anytime soon.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Still didn't try this yet! Is it similar to Givenchy Play Intense?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Still didn't try this yet! Is it similar to Givenchy Play Intense?
    not in the least, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Cotton candy bomb !? Yikes.... won't be adding this to my wardrobe anytime soon.
    IMO it doesnt have even half of sweetness of 1 million .
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme