Code of Conduct

Thread: Eight & Bob ??

Default Eight & Bob ??

What the hell is THIS?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eight & Bob ??

Amazing. Sounds like a Krigler backstory with either 10 times the chutzpah or possibly even authenticity. Certainly a nice story.

If they do a YouTube video with real nerds, debunkable handwriting, formula books, etc., I might even grant them the "Grossmith exception". I do like real fragrance history - even the obscure raised to drama, like this. Stuffing the bottles in books to keep the pricey juice away from light-fingered Nazis - love it!

Dependent

Love it, thanks for the link! I gotta get to Neiman and try it. 1930's bright and elegant huh. I could find no information about this so-called "Andrea" plant.

I remain highly incredulous to their backstory. They lost me when they added the part about the Nazis ... or JFK ... or the ark of the covenant. Anyway, I was able to give this a smell at the Elements showcase. I wanted to give it a full wear but the rep was adamant about "NO SAMPLES!". Maybe she was the Nazi. Anyway, on paper I found it completely average. A bit sweet, a bit clear, a little woody. ZZZzzz... I can see why it needs a story.

I feel like I'm reading the J. Peterman catalog!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

certainly sounds interesting.

Thanks for the info.

I think these are packaged like a book - I saw it while I was in NYC last week. Can't remember what it smelled like.. which means it was either bad or boring.
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I remain highly incredulous to their backstory. They lost me when they added the part about the Nazis ... or JFK ... or the ark of the covenant. Anyway, I was able to give this a smell at the Elements showcase. I wanted to give it a full wear but the rep was adamant about "NO SAMPLES!". Maybe she was the Nazi. Anyway, on paper I found it completely average. A bit sweet, a bit clear, a little woody. ZZZzzz... I can see why it needs a story.
    No samples - a pretty amateurish move. That part almost seems legit. They should have known that - if there is ANY time to hand out samples, it's a show like Elements. Clearly a start-up.

I gotta say - I'm beginning to think that JFK and Marilyn Monroe wore every fragrance ever made.

I've got a sample of this Eight & Bob fragrance, I got a free sample with a sample order made in the local niche perfumery. It's not my style but my Mum said it smells good.

$195??
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

The marketing team who came up with this story followed WWCD? - What Would Creed Do?

Call me cynical, but the story around this perfume is simply absurd. Not only that, but stories that are fabricated around scams like this usually depend upon the populace's WANT to believe that it is true, like the Thomas Jefferson Wines or the Hitler Diaries, but for this tall tale I could not care less if it was true.

I got a sample from my SA at Neiman Marcus and will try it next week. Like others, I am skeptical about the story but if it's a scent I enjoy I'll let that slide. As I have with Creed ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone had any experience with this one yet?

I saw Bergdorf Goodman had it on their website and it was the only house they carry that I said "WHO???"

Luckily, they describe at length how it smells.

...just kidding. They never even mention what it smells like.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    The marketing team who came up with this story followed WWCD? - What Would Creed Do?

Call me cynical, but the story around this perfume is simply absurd. Not only that, but stories that are fabricated around scams like this usually depend upon the populace's WANT to believe that it is true, like the Thomas Jefferson Wines or the Hitler Diaries, but for this tall tale I could not care less if it was true.
    Yeah, I'm really having trouble with the idea that JFK asked for eight samples "and one for Bob." The whole thing sounds ridiculous. That being said, Creed's tales are pretty ridiculous too, but I don't care. It's all about the smell. The marketing copy is irrelevant to me.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

P.T.Barnum would be proud.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Eight & Marilyn would have gotten more attention

Smelled this today at Neiman Marcus in Charlotte, NC. It honestly gives off a Creed Original Cologne/Pure White Cologne fresh vibe. Love the packaging - a book with the shape of the bottle cut out in the middle and that aforesaid book would slip into a case - but it's not worth 195.00 though, imho.

Mind you, I'm about as amateur of a nose you could get. I think my 10 year old son has a better nose than I. But from the initial spritz, I catch white musks in the dry-down, sparkling yet masculine florals way up front, the typical bergamot, a rather crisp lemon note, a middle note that reminded me of LeLabo's Guaiac 10 (another favorite of mine) but it just didn't scream to me to be different enough than my other go-to clean scents like Creed Original Cologne or Guaiac 10.

Longevity seems to be up there a bit though, only a spritz on my wrist (somewhere I've washed a couple of times actually) and it's still "there". On my forearm, it's drying down much like Original Cologne or Gendarme V would.

I hope my meager attempt to copy what so many of you do (so very well) in representing what a scent might smell like to others.

Like it fresh and clean, this is a winner for you. Already have Gendarme, 212, Original Cologne and the like, you'll be duplicating a lot of notes.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Smelled this today at Neiman Marcus in Charlotte, NC. It honestly gives off a Creed Original Cologne/Pure White Cologne fresh vibe. Love the packaging - a book with the shape of the bottle cut out in the middle and that aforesaid book would slip into a case - but it's not worth 195.00 though, imho.

Mind you, I'm about as amateur of a nose you could get. I think my 10 year old son has a better nose than I. But from the initial spritz, I catch white musks in the dry-down, sparkling yet masculine florals way up front, the typical bergamot, a rather crisp lemon note, a middle note that reminded me of LeLabo's Guaiac 10 (another favorite of mine) but it just didn't scream to me to be different enough than my other go-to clean scents like Creed Original Cologne or Guaiac 10.

Longevity seems to be up there a bit though, only a spritz on my wrist (somewhere I've washed a couple of times actually) and it's still "there". On my forearm, it's drying down much like Original Cologne or Gendarme V would.

I hope my meager attempt to copy what so many of you do (so very well) in representing what a scent might smell like to others.

Like it fresh and clean, this is a winner for you. Already have Gendarme, 212, Original Cologne and the like, you'll be duplicating a lot of notes.
    You don't give yourself enough credit. Your description helps me a lot in trying to understand what this scent is about. I will probably sample it next week when I'm at NM.

Banned

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Thanks for your input. I found it very helpful.

And what about the magical ingredient from the Andes that the original formulator called "Andrea", not an actual name of a plant, just a nick-name so it's impossible to trace or verify? Andrea (or anything unusual) wasn't even listed in the notes the company published on its website. Ooops! The ingredient list has now been removed from the site.

Wore a sample to work last week. Lots of complaints from fellow workers. I thought is was okay, but why would I want to wear something noody I work with cares for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

There's nothing absurd about this story. Jack was driving around Europe with his best friend at the time. It was part of the Kennedy children's education to travel a lot and to see with their own eyes what was happening in the world. I wonder what young Jack thought while visiting Nazi Germany right before the start of WW2? Especially considering his Father being a high profile isolationist at the time. His fathers name was Joseph, and he used to run studios in Hollywood. He knew the celebrities of that era and probably introduced the scent to some of his acquaintances. Bob = Robert Kennedy, Jack's brother.