Code of Conduct

Exclamation Trying to expand collection, lend me a few ideas!

Hi Basenotes

About me:
    I'm 25 years old and lead a very active lifestyle. I have a job that requires a certain amount of authority, which in turn means, that I generally like my scent to reflect that. Thats why I generally use Boss Elements Aqua as my daytime scent - it has a nice semi-aquatic opening, but gets pretty deep and calm in the end. Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll go with a very light spray of Calvin Klein Obsession - but those occasions are very rare.

Whenever I'm not working, I'll go for some other scent from the collection, as described below.

What am I looking for?
    To be honest, I don't quite know. I'm considering trying Midnight in Paris, and Bleu de Chanel. Tried Terre d'Hermes in a shop the other day, and quite fancy that smell too.

Still not convinced that I should get a full bottle of Musc Ravageur, but boy do I love the sexy-vibe it gives off. Suggestions along those lines would be very nice too.

Other than that, I'd like suggestions as to what I should try out, given the state of my current collection.

My collection:
    My current collection was built mostly around blind buys, and as such some of the fragrances might seem like an odd thing choice for my age. The collection is as follows:

Boss Elements Aqua
    - Worn almost daily

Dior Homme Sport
    - Worn pretty often after work, when going to sports, shopping and the likes

Musc Ravageur
    - A small sample. Had numerous wears with this one, mostly for clubbing/parties. LOVE this one, just beams sex all across the place!

YSL Body Kouros
    - Worn for clubbing

Lancome Hypnose Cologne
    - Not getting too much time, only just bought it, so still trying to figure out if I like it

Lolita Lempicka
    - Been on the shelf for over a year. Worn seriously once or twice. Very special, still trying it out every few months.

Bvlgari Black
    - Worn sometimes when the occasion calls for it, aka. suiting up. Considering trying it for clubbing too.

Calvin Klein Obsession
    - Worn rarely, but I do love the smell. More often than not, I'll wear it at home, because I just plain love the way it smells!

Quorum Silver
    - Rarely worn. A bit too much wood for my tastes.

Guy Laroche Horizon
    - Blind buy, never worn once. Seems too much like an old mans scent to me.

Jaques Bogart One Man Show
    - Blind buy, never worn once. Can't decide if I think it's too old fashioned. Smells like old barbers shop to me.

Default Re: Trying to expand collection, lend me a few ideas!

Dior Homme Intense

explore Lutens and Amouage!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I would recommend Tom Ford Tuscan Leather as a modern but powerful fragrance.
    If you want something aquatic though special try Prada Luna Rossa, Acqua di Gio Essenza, they are high quality aquatics to my mind.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Overcome By Fumes

Gucci pour Homme, authoritative yet delicious.

terre d´hermes
    mugler cologne
    chanel egoiste

Richard James Savile Row Eau de Toilette.

Gives a sense of authority, class and power, perfect for what you describe.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum

Also, find a vetiver that you like. Tom Ford, Malle, Guerlain are some good ones. Malle being one of the better, but more pricey options
    Last edited by Dschlitz; 5th February 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Burberry London
    Carbone de Balmain

When I opended this, I was scrolling down thinking, "Where is Hednic's post saying Burberry London??"

Haha

When you said authority, I thought you were looking for something very butch. Leathers are definitely very butch and authoritative. I'd single out Knize Ten, niche but not expensive; Tuscan leather, as mentioned, is also a straightforward leather. If your kind of authority involves a whip in your hands, Bandit too.

Or you could go with deep woody things, for instance, Caron Yatagan, which opens green and then turns very woody.

cacio

So many replies already, thank you so much! I will look through them all and find a few to sample!

So far I've decided to try out Guerlain Vetiver, Malle Vetiver (if I can find a sample), Dior Homme Intense and Chanel Egoiste. Will be looking for decants of each of those

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming.

Rien will have them bowing at your baton.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    When I opended this, I was scrolling down thinking, "Where is Hednic's post saying Burberry London??"

Haha
    This!

Midnight In Paris EDP is very decent and classy!

I also like to recommend Habit Rouge EDP and as others mentioned Terre D'Hermes EDP.

My suggestion: Buy up plenty of samples instead of your next full bottle cologne.

I see you have a couple blind-buy/never-worn examples. It'll be hard to really take other suggestions at face value.

Step1: Welcome! I'd subscribe to the RSS feed for the forums here, and regularly come in and scroll through the topics. Find topics like yours ("Suggest x for me...") and other threads with interesting-sounding topics you might like ("best musk scents for me..."). Start making a list or mental list on what frags are popular along with why.

Step2: Research the top interesting ones to see what the notes are and if they have something you clearly aren't going to like.

Step3: Buy samples!

I think many people get more bang for their buck this way, learn more, end up with happier purchases, and avoid the whole cross-the-fingers-and-buy-something-blind lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by ElVee View Post
    My suggestion: Buy up plenty of samples instead of your next full bottle cologne.

I see you have a couple blind-buy/never-worn examples. It'll be hard to really take other suggestions at face value.

Step1: Welcome! I'd subscribe to the RSS feed for the forums here, and regularly come in and scroll through the topics. Find topics like yours ("Suggest x for me...") and other threads with interesting-sounding topics you might like ("best musk scents for me..."). Start making a list or mental list on what frags are popular along with why.

Step2: Research the top interesting ones to see what the notes are and if they have something you clearly aren't going to like.

Step3: Buy samples!

I think many people get more bang for their buck this way, learn more, end up with happier purchases, and avoid the whole cross-the-fingers-and-buy-something-blind lottery.
    Agree. When I had 30 bottles I started sampling... And still busy doing that!

ElVee: Took your advice!

Just bought two sample packs from Neroli.hu as linked below.

Many interesting ones among those samples, so looking forward to trying them out! :-)

http://www.parfumneroli.hu/parfum/in...1;keyvalue]=30

http://www.parfumneroli.hu/parfum/in...1;keyvalue]=48

Please do keep the suggestions coming, even though I suspect I might have enough to try on with the samples already ordered :-)

I agree in regards to buying samples first.

My suggestions:
    L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum

These ones are pretty expensive, but you can get a good deal in a split:
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Blog Entries

I agree with the others...BUY SAMPLES!!!!! You can't get advice from others who don't know anything about your taste except what you already have. Heck, you can't even know what you will like/hate until you try. I roll my eyes at some people's suggestions b/c I happen to dislike the things they like. Try a few ouds, ambers, aquatics, flankers, gourmands and tobacco scents and narrow down the basic "type" of fragrance you like. Good luck!! BTW, my blog might be helpful...just click on the little 12 under my avitar
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

L'Instant is a safer buy.
    I'd recommend Vetiver Extraorinaire, Black Aoud for authority and being risky, Chanel Allure Blanche (per your other frags), and definitely try sampling one of the best houses: Guerlain!