Code of Conduct

Default Male Fragrances used as Room Sprays

I'm currently enjoying three sprays of Odori Spigo on a coffee filter placed right beside me on my desk and I was thinking how some fragrances do indeed make nice room smells. My collection is quite large and it's so hard to wear all of them. I wonder if anyone has found an 'alternative' use for them.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Male Fragrances used as Room Sprays

I do the opposite I use room sprays for body spray.

I have a room spray called 'Joy: Refreshing Blend by Karmakamet', Karmakamet is a Thai old fragrance house founded in 1971. It is the blend of Peppermint, English Lavender, Geranium, and Cedar Wood. Really Cold, Slighly Green with Woody undertone Close to the skin

By the way, I use L'Occitane Lavande Cologne as room spray for my bedroom.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post

I have a room spray called 'Joy: Refreshing Blend by Karmakamet', Karmakamet is a Thai old fragrance house founded in 1971. It is the blend of Peppermint, English Lavender, Geranium, and Cedar Wood. Really Cold, Slighly Green with Woody undertone Close to the skin

you are going to hurt yourself, man! Could develope skin alteration and never be able to use proper scents again!

- - - Updated - - -

Capucci pour homme reformulated as room spray!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

Does seem kind of strange when you look at the fragrances you have to choose from in your collection.
    I use any of mine sometimes as room sprays. (Apart from Egoiste as I don't have much left and it isn't so cheap and easy to replace.)

I have considered checking out room fragrances by l'Artisan and Frederic Malle. Who knows, I might come accross a happy surprise.) And they are cheaper as well.
    I find lavender a bit too dated in fragrances and tend to not reach for them often, but they work in the room quite nicely. By the way, my Odori Spigo is also a lavender frag.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 6th February 2013 at 04:49 AM.

So far, never done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    ... on a coffee filter placed right beside me on my desk ... My collection is quite large and it's so hard to wear all of them.
    Same here. I've got a ton (don't ask) of big coffee filters that don't fit my machine(s) so I use them for spray. I use magnetic clips and station them either at my desk or on a bedpost. Yesterday it was VCA pH. Today I think it'll be a comparison between opium ph edt and the edp.

Seems like a good idea. Usually, perfumes are more expensive than room fragrances, but if that's not an issue, why not?

cacio

I have APOM Parfums Interieur by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, smells exactly like the scent - however, it definitely dissapears too soon - i think candles are best against perfumes or spray type interior sprays.

I make mistakes with fragrance selections like everybody else. They become 'room sprays'.

I've used them before in this way. THere is also a thread in the "home fragrance" (i think that's what BN calls it) section here on BN where they talk about spraying fragrance into a humidifier. SUpposedly the humidifier really spreads the scent throughout the house. Worth a try i guess.

Nautica Voyage, Issey L'eau D'Issey and Orange Sanguine ate my toilet/room sprays

Personally don't use my fragrances as room sprays.

I use some of my fragrances that aren't my favorite, but still smell decent.

Blog Entries

L`Occitane en Provence Eau Captivante. It contains all of the freshness of their signature Verbena but the mint/basil with bergamot and woods plus the faintest of aquatic notes give that all too familiar verbena just enough dimension to make it distinctly different. While this is a little fresh and simple to wear regularly, it makes an ideal room spray. Fresh, natural, and masculine. I use it for this purpose more than any other, and it comes reasonably priced in large quantities, as it is intended as a cologne splash.
    Last edited by NeonGrey; 5th February 2013 at 06:28 PM.
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

I've emptied my first perfume bottle like this. Well, to cover smoke in the hallway mostly. Aseel. I'm glad it's empty now lol.

I was thinking of doing something like this by tampering with some empty airwick or mortein refill bottles, I hope the cologne would spread like the airwick juice (wish me luck).

It may be possible that some niche and even designer houses may launch matching (also male) fragrances. On a slightly more serious note, I could remotely imagine aquatic, airy, light. summery male fragrances marginally suitable as room sprays/deodorizers/fresheners.

Ha! Is says "the realm of scentologist" lol. Anyways, I do it all the time. Smells much bette than cheap candles and its a great way to help use them up a bit. Whatever smells good to you will do just fine. I noticed that parfums work much better than EDT. My niche fragrances also work better and smell better. Who knows.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Cacio has formidably frowned upon my use of vintage & discontinued John Galliano for Diptyque as a bathroom spray.

I have therefore retired it from such duties & hesitantly replaced it with Poivre Samarcande & Blenheim Bouquet.

for swap/sale:

Back with my find and here it goes, works best with pure parfumes or ittars (those from the middle east), my perfume oil test subject was jasmine oil which I got for 4$ for 5ml (enough for the test). The room was filled in almost 5-6 mins.

Didnt try any eau du parfume because I dont have any to spare (only eua du parfume I have is vintage DHI).

Went with eau du cologne, used a old spice classic for that (its for 5$ or so if I'm not wrong), a so-so result as the scent was light and was taking too long to spread (maybe will work great for the airwick spreader I think), with an hour or more it might work well.

Sometimes I do it with A*men. A few sprays on curtain and pleasant chocolate/caramel smell stays all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Same here. I've got a ton (don't ask) of big coffee filters that don't fit my machine(s) so I use them for spray. I use magnetic clips and station them either at my desk or on a bedpost. Yesterday it was VCA pH. Today I think it'll be a comparison between opium ph edt and the edp.
    Besides finding an additional use for fragrances, I find that applying them on coffee filters can also speed up familiarity with different fragrances and help guide future choices for daily wear. Picking up a bottle in the morning is a long term commitment and I am not always happy with the choice. This is a great way to avoid that.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 6th February 2013 at 04:53 AM.

Have used many in my car.

Sometimes I use Gucci by Gucci pour homme in my bedroom. It's light enough not to linger forever, but heavy enough to give the room some masculinity.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Nautica Voyage, Issey L'eau D'Issey and Orange Sanguine ate my toilet/room sprays
    I can see Voyage working quite well as a room spray.
    Who knows, this might be the next fragrance I buy.)
    Last edited by Balthazar; 6th February 2013 at 06:57 AM.

20 sprays of your favorite fragrance in 28 ml of isopropyl alcohol, swirl it around and let it sit in a sealed container for an hour and then use it as lampe berger fuel. That will scent your room for 2 hours or more.

I do! I use this now and then:

I love the idea of using coffee filters. I usually find that just spraying in the room, the scent dissipates quickly. The filter paper would keep it active for longer. Bravo OP!! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    20 sprays of your favorite fragrance in 28 ml of isopropyl alcohol, swirl it around and let it sit in a sealed container for an hour and then use it as lampe berger fuel. That will scent your room for 2 hours or more.
    u mean the same isopropyl alcohol sold at the pharmacy ?

Blog Entries

I Do!!! Somehow that Hugo Boss no. 1 I bought 10 years ago doesn't seem like such a good idea now...I spritz 2 spritzes on my ceiling fan blades in the bedroom and turn them on low, BINGO! nice smelling room.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    I was thinking of doing something like this by tampering with some empty airwick or mortein refill bottles, I hope the cologne would spread like the airwick juice (wish me luck).

I hope all the bug killer spray is out of that Mortein jar mate!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I use some of my fragrances that aren't my favorite, but still smell decent.
    This is the way I've done it as well. I can't see using an expensive fragrance that I enjoy wearing as a room spray.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice...ugly, but nice.

We're showing our house to sell right now. I've been using Eau de Cartier as a room spray. Smells extremely fresh. Before I have used Tom Ford Neroli Portofino and one of the Fredrique Malles (both were just samples, I'm not rich).

Absolutely do here, I spray them on backpacks, microfiber towels etc, it seems like if I have some sprayed on stuff in the room I am in that I smell it in a different way. Plus sometimes I already have some on my skin which is done projecting and I would rather just spray it on something in the room and smell it that way.

I use old ones or cheapies for car, office chair, backpack all kinds of stuff. I have lots to spare and I don't really intend to baby any of it! It's for smelling!

Oh yes and I have a little thing in the car that plugs into the lighter that's made I think by bath and body works but it's a little scent diffuser that heats up and the pad you can spray it pretty good and lasts a few days.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I Do!!! Somehow that Hugo Boss no. 1 I bought 10 years ago doesn't seem like such a good idea now...I spritz 2 spritzes on my ceiling fan blades in the bedroom and turn them on low, BINGO! nice smelling room.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope all the bug killer spray is out of that Mortein jar mate!
    Dumped it all into the sink and scrubbed well xD, though it works better with the airwick vaporizer because of the cotton dab as it absorbs the oil better. Still success bot ways

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    This is the way I've done it as well. I can't see using an expensive fragrance that I enjoy wearing as a room spray.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice...ugly, but nice.
    LOL thanks, though I was thinking of tweaking it with some spray paint and some accessories xD

I spray the bed cover with SDV. Fills the room for a day and then settles on day 2. Love it.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

By far the easiest and cheapest way to burn up those oils and scent the rooms is the eastern way of making oil lamps, they might cost around 1-2$ and can get 10-20 ml of any oil you want ranging from 3$ to 10$ ( wanna spend more then get pure oud oil for 50$, I'd suggest Indian oud wood as its sweeter and fulfilling then Cambodian or other ouds). If anyone wants I can show how to make one in the home scents section of the forum.

Bulgaria black in the car....lasts just about forever

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Besides finding an additional use for fragrances, I find that applying them on coffee filters can also speed up familiarity with different fragrances and help guide future choices for daily wear.
    This. (Although one could argue that it doesn't quite replicate the development / drydown on skin.)

I also leave some of the cards / blotters from stores lying around to scent different parts of the house. They last a little longer than they might on skin and if I keep going there to get a whiff of it, I know it's time to go back for another spritz - or a bottle. The ones I don't quite care for (or can no longer tell apart) I chuck together and leave in the bathroom.

SOrry mate, but it will not work , the scent will evoperate to fast as the density is too thin, unless you are talking about an EDP, i've tried this and met will failure.