Code of Conduct

Default How much difference is there between modern Old Spice and the vintage Shulton stuff?

I'm tempted to buy a bottle. The vintage is much more expensive, so is it worth spending much more, or better to get a modern one for cheap?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by WillC; 5th February 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Default Re: How much difference is there between modern Old Spice and the vintage Shulton stuff?

How much is it?

Default Re: How much difference is there between modern Old Spice and the vintage Shulton stuff?

I cannot speak for that one but I have oodles of vintage perfumes and usually but not always, the old formulae is better if you like a rich depth. You risk the pissy factor of a gone off perfume, but look for one still in a box as it may have been kept better. Although from memory that one was in a white bottle wasn't it?

The old stuff had a nice spicy bite to it's character where as the modern one is a watered down version of it. It is worth getting your hands on the original if you can.

If you're set on this, the older one is better. Personally wouldn't shell out money for either.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    How much is it?
    Yeah, just out of curiosity, what are they asking for it?

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    Yeah, just out of curiosity, what are they asking for it?
    About 50 including postage. I know it's not much, but my finances are tight. And since the current formulation can be had for around 10, that is quite a relative price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    About 50 including postage. I know it's not much, but my finances are tight. And since the current formulation can be had for around 10, that is quite a relative price difference.

I would NOT bother at that price.

Just out of curiosity. Have you tried this and like it already?

If you can get a sample of the new one then maybe someone with the old may trade you half a sample to do a side by side.

PS. Ask around some vintage menfolk and you may find one of them still has some...

I've been wearing a new bottle of Old Spice cologne lately, and it's pretty close to the original. About $7 at the local drugstore. Go for the new stuff, and spend the savings on some other scent.

I only own the P&G version, but am also familiar (from previous testing) with the Shoulton vintage formulation. While the newer one is slightly sweeter, more powdery and even less lasting (I shamefully admit) than the vintage version, my opinion would still be: the difference nor the improvement from new to vintage are THAT pronounced, as to justify paying way more for the vintage version.

I have both versions and the vintage smells a little better to me because it is a little little spicier and has a nice dirty vibe(jasmine I think), but it has worse longevity than the new formula. The new formula is still very similar, but it's sweeter and a little more powedery. I wouldn't spend that much money on the vintage. There are knockoffs of Old Spice that still smell like Shulton's version that sell for less than the current formula.

In Britain I would have thought it will turn up eventually at a car boot sale, so I would hang on ~ you will find it for a lot less there.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "