Code of Conduct

Default Creed Original Vertiver Vs Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Hi to all perfume experts.

My parents are going through Dubai airport and i am thinking of asking them to get me a fragrance from the duty free shop. Im stuck between asking them to get me Creed Original Vertiver or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I know that the two fragrances are quite different, but in terms of overall originality, uniqueness and quality, which do you guys think is a better choice ?

The prices they've quoted me are as follows:

Creed Original Vertiver (120ml) - $200
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (50ml) - $190.55

Do these prices sound reasonable ? By the way, this would be a complete blind buy, as i've smelled neither fragrance before. I have however really enjoyed Mugler Cologne, and apparently, Creed OV is a refined and similar take on the same notes (Mugler Cologne is no longer available there). As for the choice of TF Tobacco Vanille - i enjoy tobacco fragrances, hence the choice.

Please if you could reply asap, as i only have a few hours to decide.

Thanks!!
    Mo

Default Re: Creed Original Vertiver Vs Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Original Vetiver is a better blind buy only because it's more safe. However, I much prefer Tobacco Vanille. Tobacco Vanille is hands down the better fragrance.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by amw9490 View Post
    Original Vetiver is a better blind buy only because it's more safe. However, I much prefer Tobacco Vanille. Tobacco Vanille is hands down the better fragrance.
    +1 . Also, TV is a tobacco bomb, so if you like tobacco - it's probably even a bit safer

I would rather have TFTV any day of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by MoPAT View Post
    Hi to all perfume experts.

My parents are going through Dubai airport and i am thinking of asking them to get me a fragrance from the duty free shop. Im stuck between asking them to get me Creed Original Vertiver or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I know that the two fragrances are quite different, but in terms of overall originality, uniqueness and quality, which do you guys think is a better choice ?

The prices they've quoted me are as follows:

Creed Original Vertiver (120ml) - $200
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (50ml) - $190.55

Do these prices sound reasonable ? By the way, this would be a complete blind buy, as i've smelled neither fragrance before. I have however really enjoyed Mugler Cologne, and apparently, Creed OV is a refined and similar take on the same notes (Mugler Cologne is no longer available there). As for the choice of TF Tobacco Vanille - i enjoy tobacco fragrances, hence the choice.

Please if you could reply asap, as i only have a few hours to decide.

Thanks!!
    Mo
    Basenoters frequently host splits of Tobacco Vanille and a 50ml split would probably cost around $120 including shipping. You don't get such a fancy bottle that way, but you get a lot more juice for the money. It might be something you want to consider.

Sound Scents

I don't like OV, so Tobacco Vanille gets my vote of the two.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

+2, qft

These two really are apples and oranges, so the answer to your question will really depend on what you like best. Original Vetiver is fresh and green, while Tobacco Vanille is thick and sweet.

My personal view is that Original Vetiver is the better 'quality' fragrance, but Tobacco Vanille is probably more unique. If going for Tobacco Vanille, do make sure that you like vanilla - to me it was the dominant note. I also think there are other better tobacco fragrances out there, but that's just my opinion...

OV is one of the more versatile Creeds - good for pretty well any occasion and upbeat.

TV has a nice tobacco opening then descends into an endless vanilla that smells cheap to me.

Given the price diff etc I would recommend OV of the two.

Actually, even if you could get 120ml of TV at the same price I would still recommend the OV (and believe me, I really tried to like the Ford one but after an hour or so I felt like a candle).

Props to TF for 'truth in advertising' though - you get what it says on the bottle - the Creed is not a vetiver fragrance per se, just a nicely blended piece of work with its own personality.

Yes, as has been said, these 2 really couldn't be much more different. TV is a better formulation, but it's not for everybody. OV is pretty hard to dislike, but you could buy Mugler Cologne for 40 bucks and it smells 95% the same!

Tobacco is nice but sounds cloying to me
    OS is a safe bet!
    "...... The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men cannot put it back together again....."

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It's not a question of which is the better fragrance, but more a matter of personal preference.

Original Vetiver is easier to wear, airy & green with mildly creamy undertones.

Tobacco Vanille is a projection monster, wears heavily with rich notes of unsmoked dry tobacco and syruppy vanilla that may stick out like sore thumbs should you apply a little too generously.

My preference is for OV but if you like both, it's better to get in on the splits and enjoy both.

Blog Entries

Creed O.V. is a bland concoction of vetiver with no supporting notes. Overpriced...If you like vetiver, there are MANY less expensive and better quality ones. One look at EBAY will show you multiple bottles being sold nearly full for less than $100...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Instead of Original Vetiver I'd recommend Mugler Cologne which I think smells better. Tobacco Vanille has no substitute and is very satisfying.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Go with Creed Original Vertiver, much better than the Tom Ford IMO.

Thanks guys for all the really good advice!

I may not have realised it (although obvious in the name) but is the vanilla note in Tobacco Vanille, at any point in the progression of the fragrance, dominant ? It appears that some posters have indicated so...is the tobacco still prominent in the drydown ?

Also, where would i get more info on the split purchases ?

Thanks.

You can get the 4oz of OV for way cheaper online already (about $125), so I would not recommend that.

TV is more expensive per bottle generally, thus why many (myself included) get in on a split of it. I love the scent to death, but I'm not so sure I would need a bottle of it and drop $200 on it for 50ml. To put it in perspective, I spent $60 for 25mL, which is plenty for me.

If I was in your situation, I'd ask them to buy me Reflection Man by Amouage (or any other fragrance from that awesome house).

And as for your most recent question, TV does have dominant vanilla, but it depends on your skin. I get a spicy tobacco with rounded out vanilla.

Tobacco Vanille is a very nice and heavy fragrance with character. You can basically get good replacement for OV in mugler cologne without breaking the bank. To put it this way, nothing really substitutes for tobacco Vanille but you get tons of alternatives on the cheap and equally good for OV.

I personally wouldnt purchase Creeds OV without trying it first, because it doesnt smell like your typical vetvier at all.

In some respects thats a good thing, i think it would be suitable for a young person, as its quite fresh and different, but i wouldnt blind buy that if you think you no what to expect from a vetivier scent.

I may not have realised it (although obvious in the name) but is the vanilla note in Tobacco Vanille, at any point in the progression of the fragrance, dominant ? It appears that some posters have indicated so...is the tobacco still prominent in the drydown ?
    The tobacco and vanilla notes are both there from middle to dry down.

I'd go with Tobacco Vanille and just stick with your Mugler Cologne (OV is very similar to it and has worse longevity).

Both fragrances are unique in their own way.

OV has been likened to Mugler Cologne quite a bit but I have never even tried Mugler to be able to say for myself.

Basically, with OV expect a very soapy-clean scent, with a little vetiver in the dry-down. It's there, albeit in a reasonable quantity, which IMHO is good: it's not an "in your face" smoky vetiver. It's washed down with some imaginative citrus and spices - ginger, nutmeg and vanilla. This is a very good fragrance that works well in the heat. Especially in heat with wet weather. It was my first Creed. I certainly wouldn't pay $200 USD for it.

TV is based on tobacco and yes it has a bit of vanilla too. It's quite a projection-monster. I only tried it a couple of times in a store and didn't think much of it. Yes, it's definitely a unique tobacco scent, sweetened with the vanilla, and they do work well together. But I get the feeling I'm in a cigar shop. As nice and unique as the scent may be, I just don't want to smell like that. I for one would have trouble deciding where I would wear this to.

Neither are worth it IMO...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Two totally different scents with totally different uses.

I like OV as a daily office scent, and plan to buy it when my bottle of Mugler runs out (no need to have both). Don't buy it for the vetiver; it's just a simple, soapy clean scent. While it smells great (Creeds generally smell great), it's far from indispensible, and I wouldn't lose any sleep if it wasn't in my wardrobe; there are lots of clean scents that are just as good. Further, the price you're quoting is too high, so I'd pass on it.

I used to like TV more than I do now. The price you are looking at isn't terrible -- you can probably do better, but not by much. However, TV is a scent that, to me, has very limited use. I don't wear it in Summer, because it's too heavy; and I don't wear it during the day, because it's too strong and distracting. My bottle is sitting nearly full in my closet because I almost never find an occasion to wear it. I used to wear it on dates in the Winter, but now I wear New Haarlem for those.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    OV is pretty hard to dislike, but you could buy Mugler Cologne for 40 bucks and it smells 95% the same!
    I have a full bottle of Mugler and a sample of OV. To me, Mugler is generally okay, but there's something in the notes that's 'off' about it; a kind of funkiness that I can't quite describe, that's somewhat off-putting.

OV is the winner of the two, IMO.

Ok guys, BIG game change - and i know i probably sound like a really confused person, but the dubai duty free has the Amouage attars at the following prices:

Amouage Homage attar (12ml) - $230
    Amouage Tribute attar (12ml) - $214.72
    Amouage Asrar attar (12ml) - $133.06

I've heard fantastic things about Homage and Tribute, but are those reasonable prices?? After reading the various responses, and checking out the split-buy section, i'm definitely considering doing a split-buy for either Creed OV/ Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. It just seems like a shame to let my parents pass through all of that perfume without nabbing something from that treasure chest. What do you guys think ?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    OV is one of the more versatile Creeds - good for pretty well any occasion and upbeat.

TV has a nice tobacco opening then descends into an endless vanilla that smells cheap to me.

Given the price diff etc I would recommend OV of the two.

Actually, even if you could get 120ml of TV at the same price I would still recommend the OV (and believe me, I really tried to like the Ford one but after an hour or so I felt like a candle).

Props to TF for 'truth in advertising' though - you get what it says on the bottle - the Creed is not a vetiver fragrance per se, just a nicely blended piece of work with its own personality.
    Same here. Cant really stand that much vanilla.
    If I had ever asked my parents to blind buy me a $200 bottle of perfume they probably would not have stopped laughing for several years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
    I have a full bottle of Mugler and a sample of OV. To me, Mugler is generally okay, but there's something in the notes that's 'off' about it; a kind of funkiness that I can't quite describe, that's somewhat off-putting.

OV is the winner of the two, IMO.
    Theres a sperm note that Mugler added to that one. Good for you picking that out.

Ok guys, BIG game change - and i know i probably sound like a really confused person, but the dubai duty free has the Amouage attars at the following prices:

I've heard fantastic things about Homage and Tribute, but are those reasonable prices?? After reading the various responses, and checking out the split-buy section, i'm definitely considering doing a split-buy for either Creed OV/ Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. It just seems like a shame to let my parents pass through all of that perfume without nabbing something from that treasure chest. What do you guys think ?

I would never in my life pay those kinds of prices for 12 mL of any fragrance. They are much cheaper than Luckyscent, but it's just not worth it in my opinion. I still vote for Tobacco Vanille. $200 for 50 mL > $230 for 12 mL

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

A creed OV for me.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Well I would happily change my vote from TV to Tribute - awesome frankincense, tobacco and rose scent. These are attars so are very concentrated - probably last as long as a bottle of Tv

Dude those are insanely good prices. Get the Homage! I would snap up one (or all three) at those prices no questions asked. Tribute is awesome too. You can get the Creed and the Tom Ford at much cheaper prices online any day. You'll never get a chance to snag those attars at such a fantastic price anywhere else though.

Haha, I'd pay your parents to pick those up for me if you didn't jump on them. Man, I should see if I can get my return flight to Japan rerouted through Dubai.

- - - Updated - - -

I would never in my life pay those kinds of prices for 12 mL of any fragrance. They are much cheaper than Luckyscent, but it's just not worth it in my opinion. I still vote for Tobacco Vanille. $200 for 50 mL > $230 for 12 mL
    IMHO the attars last just as long as the TF, it will take you about the same amount of time to use them (or longer), and quality of scent wise trash almost everything TF has to offer (including TV).
    Last edited by Partario; 6th February 2013 at 07:23 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Tobacco Vanille.

You really should try the Amouage Homage and Tribute Attars before making a blind purchase as the recent reformulations aren't that great and its not as good as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    You really should try the Amouage Homage and Tribute Attars before making a blind purchase as the recent reformulations aren't that great and its not as good as it used to be.
    How bad did they get dumbed down? I smelled a recent (I assume) bottle of Homage and Tribute and they were both pretty good.

Basenotes Member Carvalho Diablo's Avatar
    Pompadour Cosmetique Company, Baker Street

As others have said, two totally different scents.

Personally, I love OV. Fresh, green, juicy.

I literally scrubbed TFTV off me. It was SO completely overpoweringly sweet with vanilla that it made me baulk. Like bathing in a vat of fudge.
    ***My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world : those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.***

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Dude those are insanely good prices. Get the Homage! I would snap up one (or all three) at those prices no questions asked. Tribute is awesome too. You can get the Creed and the Tom Ford at much cheaper prices online any day. You'll never get a chance to snag those attars at such a fantastic price anywhere else though.

Haha, I'd pay your parents to pick those up for me if you didn't jump on them. Man, I should see if I can get my return flight to Japan rerouted through Dubai.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO the attars last just as long as the TF, it will take you about the same amount of time to use them (or longer), and quality of scent wise trash almost everything TF has to offer (including TV).

That's a matter of opinion. I'll take Tobacco Vanille over nearly anything on the market a because that's a favorite of mine.

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

As a response to your original question I would go for TV. I've been very underwhelmed by all the Creed fragrances I have tried.

They also have an amazing range of the Amouage fragrances, I think the 50mls were selling for about $160 the last time I was there. I would go for something like JXXV instead of the TV.

Since you already have Mugler Cologne, you should check out Tobacco Vanille. Decent scent. For the price you have for it in your thread, you might as well sample it first in Neiman Marcus, Saks or any of those high end stores. That way, you will know if you even like it.