Code of Conduct

Default Longevity>>sillage

Longevity and sillage/projection are often linked, especially with the increased prevalence of EDP strength mens fragrances.

You've got the nuclear sillage and lifetime of Black Aoud and Aventus*, and the short lived and skin-scents of 4711 and D&G The One**.

But are they necessarily a package deal? What fragrances are out there that have terrific longevity yet rather poor sillage?

I'll start it off and say that Coriolan by Guerlain has incredible longevity but sits on the skin for more than 3/4 of its life.

Are there any others you lads care to discuss, and is the lack of projection something to tolerate, or something to embrace?

*yes, some people get relatively short longevity from Aventus, but the rest of us think it's a beast
    **likewise, some people get good longevity from The One, but I certainly don't get that.

Default Re: Longevity>>sillage

Personally don't pay much attention to sillage. I guess I am more concerned with longevity.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally don't pay much attention to sillage. I guess I am more concerned with longevity.
    +1

As long as I can enjoy that scent for decant amount of time, I am OK with bad terible sillage.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

I think Aqua Di Parmas Colonia doesnt last 5 minutes, and it certainly doesnt project like a beast, but its so natural smelling and beautiful, that its worth the compromise.

Same for me. Longevity>>>>sillage and projection.

Not to be judgmental but those who are more concerned with sillage and projection are attention seekers, who want compliments. I wear fragrances for my own personal pleasure.

SOTD is GPHII isn't a sillage or projection beast but it has a calming effect on me and I need calm in my life right now! Lol

Its true.

Everyones met the office scent whore who walks in and invades everyones space with the likes of Joop, One million, or anything powerfull.

I think its in quite bad taste.

If I like a frag, that's good enough for me. If I can still smell it at least 4 hours after spraying it, it's good to go. I usually wear at least two frags a day (depending on the day's activities). One in the morning, and one after the gym, so longevity isn't that big of a deal to me.

I agree mostly with what is being said about sillage. However, it also doesn't hurt to receive a honest compliment here and there. I only use two sprays at most for me so compliments are far and few between.
    In answer to your question, Bleecker Street by Bond lasts a long time on me but has fair at best sillage.

Longevity matters to me. A lot.
    Sillage is a bonus but it's not something I care about.
    Projection can be a reason for me to NOT purchase a fragrance, and here's why:

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Its true.

Everyones met the office scent whore who walks in and invades everyones space with the likes of Joop, One million, or anything powerfull.

I think its in quite bad taste.
    I don't ever want to be THAT person.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Same for me. Longevity>>>>sillage and projection.

Not to be judgmental but those who are more concerned with sillage and projection are attention seekers, who want compliments. I wear fragrances for my own personal pleasure.
    I agree. If I'm on a date, I wear them for her pleasure as well, but if I need massive projection to get my date to notice my scent, clearly the date isn't going well.

LONGEVITY >>>> sillage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> projection.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I also concern myself more with longevity.

As long as i can smell it, thats all i care about. Otherwise i'd just wear something like 1 Million or Armani Code