Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Terre d'Hermes - Le Takedown

Ahh Terre d'Hermes, what can one say that hasn't already been said. Well after wearing it for the past couple of weeks I've come to a conclusion; it sucks. Oh I wanted to like it, what with it's rockstar perfumier, great bottle and epic longevity, but sadly, I can't in good conscience enjoy this perfume.

What does it smell like? Turpentine or some kind of pine scented cleaning product (Pine-Sol). It is surely a sign of conspicuous consumption and hopeless pinheadedness where people now waste copious amounts of money to smell this bad. It gives off the sense of a pathetically past his prime older man trying desperately to remain relevant with his loud tommy bahama shirts and bad combover. This is the olfactory equivalent of the Grecian formula, a nasty, pricey marketed to geriatric type product that attempts to convince them one can buy youth and style.

Ive heard it smells "manly" which is true, if the man's been stripping paint using a pine or citrus based surfactant, just as Fahrenheit evokes motor oil and automobile associations, although Fahrenheit actually smells good.

Terre d'Hermes also holds one of the rare distinctions of giving me a near-instant headache upon application, presumably since it probably shares the same olfactory provenance as many commercial floor cleaners. The longevity is excellent, then again, slash some Pine-Sol on your clothes, you'll find that similar scent equally durable.

I can't say I hate Terre d'Hermes, that would be unfair and inaccurate, I loathe it. It is the embodiment of everything wrong in perfumery, it's expensive without smelling good, pretentious and superfluous. There is no need for this thing to exist and but for the Hermes association it would be quickly forgotten. It is the olfactory incarnation of everything wrong in the world. As readers of my previous reviews will note, I loathe hyperbole, but I steadfastly believe discontinuing Terre d'Hermes might simultaneously bring world peace and end global hunger...ok maybe not, but it'll surely make some of the planet smell better.

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes - Le Takedown

Pity you dont like it. for me its one of the best out there... but we all have different opinions

I don't care for this one either.

Basenotes Junkie

Ouch!

Ive been looking forward to trying this one day.

It gets rated highly here I think?

This makes interesting reading.

Sorry you have had an unpleasant experience with it. I would never want to be without it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry you have had an unpleasant experience with it. I would never want to be without it personally.
    Likewise. Some of the greatest fragrances in the world are the most controversial. Look at Kouros, for example.

It's very nice. Are you sure you didn't try a fake bottle? Just wondering as I don't remember getting a lot of pine from it.

I respect your views. And for them to be more helpful I'll ask that you provide us some perspective. In other words: 1. Did you wear from a bottle, decant, sample?; 2. Do you know when it was manufactured?; 3. Did you wear under clothes, or exposed skin, both?; How much did you use?; Where'd you wear it, outdoors, office setting?; What's the climate like now where you're at?; What scents does it remind you of?; What scents do you similarly have such distaste?; What scent groups do you like? etc.

Perspective is everything. For instance, if you're 20 something / work in a retail environment / enjoy le male, blue sugar, 1 million, etc. / used 2ml of tdh each application / and consider 35 old age, well your perspective and mine (as well as others, I'd bet) might be markedly different.

There have been other threads re TdH that suggest some changes have occurred. I happen to have a bottle from '08 and, quite to the contrary, consider it among the best in my collection.
    "It gives off the sense of an pathetically past his prime old man trying desperately to remain relevant with his loud tommy bahama shirts and bad combover. This is the olfactory equivalent of the Grecian formula, a nasty, pricey marketed to geriatric type product that attempts to convince them one can buy youth and style."
    Here's a little perspective, I'm 50, wear my hair tight, and have plenty of hawaiian shirts. Haha, I won't pretend to be offended by your comment. But really... are you being honest or wut?
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 6th February 2013 at 08:10 PM.

Now tell us what you really think about it...LOL IMO, it's an ok frag. Don't own a bottle, and will probably sample to death unless the price lowers. A lot of basenoters like this stuff, but I personally think it's overated.

Currently my favorite scent and go to frag for basically every Friday at work to pick me up for the weekend. I believe that all the hype of the years have led others to try and pick it apart more. I also have a 1.7oz bottle from a few years back and haven't sampled any of it from newer bottles.
    I would suggest to keep trying. I HATED Black Aoud for a long time and it now is fighting with Terre for my top spot!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This. One of my all-time favorites. Also I don't get the pine association...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    This!!!!!

1) I don't begrudge anyone their opinion because we all have different noses BUT

2) There isn't a hint of pine anywhere in this scent. Not even close....not even very close

3) There is nothing old man about this. I don't even find it overly mature. I find it classy, smooth and perfect for work and a young to middle aged professional or for casual wear. I'm an attorney, wear business casual and suits, have all my hair and am 43. Nothing pathetic and it is perfect.

4) Drydown is one of the best I've ever smelled. Woods andvetiver with a hint of smooth orange I barely detect.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I respect TDH for what it is but never became a fan. I don't see the pine association either.
    I don't enjoy the burnt cedar/pepper accord in it (obviously related to Iso E Super) and although I don't consider it a vetiver scent as many do, IMO it would work better in very hot weather. The Parfum was even more peppery on my skin.
    And also, the fact that I can smell it on every other person doesn't help. I like more unique scents, not necessarily popular ones.

I grew to like Terre after a while, and wore it for a few months; but gradually grew to dislike it (not as much as the op, of course). I think I just came to the conclusion that, frankly, it smells vaguely of flinty sweet body odor (and don't even get me started on the Pure Parfum, which I do loathe). Pine? That's a new one to me. I'm not sure it's the Iso E Super in it, but it could be. I think TdH used to be over 50% Iso E Super.

I also didn't receive a single compliment the entire time I wore it, and as soon as I switched back to GIT for daily wear, a coworker told me that she had hated what I had been wearing, but didn't have the heart to tell me. That was enough for me.

For orange, I'm sticking with my orange/neroli trio: Neroli Portofino, Chanel Eau de Cologne, and Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte.

I recognize a lot of people like TdH -- and just look at the number of its reviews! Not as polarizing as Kouros, perhaps, but close.
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 6th February 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Im 29, I love it, and I get compliments on it all the time. No pine notes in here whatsoever. I like to check out the OP's wardrobe in hateful reviews like this, usually because their collection will be full of garbage, to bad the directory is down.

I think this is one that people over spray without realizing it. I use one spray to the chest for work and two if Im going out, but never more than two. I think a lot of people over spray most of their collection with out knowing. I was guilty of that when I first really got into frags, I was spraying like 5-6 times and still not thinking it was enough. Now I never use more than 2-3 depending on the frag.

I get the pine too. I like TDH, but it sits with Bleu de Chanel as my two disappointments in my collection.

Basenotes Junkie

I think expectations ruined it for me. After all the great reviews and love for it, I was expecting something amazing. I was very dissapointed. All I got was dirt, b.o. and a slight orange feel. I think it's one of those "bandwagon scents" like Aventus. All the cool people like it, I should too. Well this is one bridge I won't jump off.

I love it and so does my wife. It's a winner at my house and has been since the day it came out. Same for Bleu de Chanel.

I don't get pine from it at all, and it's one I couldn't do without. But we all have our likes and dislikes.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    I think expectations ruined it for me. After all the great reviews and love for it, I was expecting something amazing. I was very dissapointed. All I got was dirt, b.o. and a slight orange feel. I think it's one of those "bandwagon scents" like Aventus. All the cool people like it, I should too. Well this is one bridge I won't jump off.
    Couldn't disagree more. When I got here 5 years back it got some mention here but I really didn't ever get pushed to try it or read a ton on it. The first time I tried it I disliked it. About 6 months later when it was cold and I was craving woods I went back and tried it again and loved it. Many people either loved/hated it but there wasn't threads every day talking about it and its Hermes. I think its the opposite at times. People really enjoy it but if someone doesn't they feel the need to go fire and brimstone and trash the scent and the people who like it too. I almost exclusively buy designer and love stuff people hate and hate stuff that people love on here. It just happens to be a scent that is easy to wear to work and many places without being offensive. It isn't something so random that you are afraid to wear it out.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

MarquisdeSod, I have a feeling there's a specific note - or maybe a specific combination of notes - that people like you and I don't like. Terre D'Hermes is so very well regarded that I find myself shocked by how much I dislike it. I assume it's a great scent that just happens to have something in it my nose can't handle.

The expectations game is always a loser. It tricks people into liking something they'd otherwise be indifferent to if judged on smell alone, or it tricks them into disliking something their nose enjoys very much.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I think it's ok, but mainly I appreciate that it led me to a couple of it's cousins that are fantastic - Cartier Declaration Essence and Malle's Bigarade Concentree.

I really wanted to love this one but I just don't see the huge appeal. Maybe I'll have to go back and retry it.

Loved it at first. Then after a few wearings it hurt my head and made me nauseous. It's just too much. Will never go back to it. I much prefer Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee which is a lime/vetiver combo that is fresh and not-headache inducing. I only draw the comparison as they are both citrus/vetiver combos perfect for Spring. Definitely prefer the Guerlain. I even prefer Kenzo Homme Woody! (sorry all the Terre lovers - I do get it, it's just too strong and migraine inducing for my nose).

From a very uneducated and inexperienced perspective, the last time I sampled the PP, it had some kind of organic, nasty, waste-like thing going on before drydown. That was followed by nothing but a very un-interesting orange citrus cleaner smell. All I could smell was orange. Nothing else. It could have just been a bad day.

My sampling of the EDT before that was much more favourable -- it smelled much more complex and was not unduly dominated by orange, let alone an orange citrus cleaner smell. I didn't disfavour the organic nastiness at the front end either. It was there in one form or another but for whatever reason, I liked it. A lot. In fact I really liked the EDT start to finish.

I need to spend a lot more time with TDH but at this point, I wonder whether to me, there is a big difference between the EDT and PP. Perhaps though it was just my mood, skin, or something else that was not consistent during my very limited samplings.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Ahh Terre d'Hermes, what can one say that hasn't already been said. Well after wearing it for the past couple of weeks I've come to a conclusion; it sucks. Oh I wanted to like it, what with it's rockstar perfumier, great bottle and epic longevity, but sadly, I can't in good conscience enjoy this perfume.

What does it smell like? Turpentine or some kind of pine scented cleaning product (Pine-Sol). It is surely a sign of conspicuous consumption and hopeless pinheadedness where people now waste copious amounts of money to smell this bad. It gives off the sense of a pathetically past his prime older man trying desperately to remain relevant with his loud tommy bahama shirts and bad combover. This is the olfactory equivalent of the Grecian formula, a nasty, pricey marketed to geriatric type product that attempts to convince them one can buy youth and style.

Ive heard it smells "manly" which is true, if the man's been stripping paint using a pine or citrus based surfactant, just as Fahrenheit evokes motor oil and automobile associations, although Fahrenheit actually smells good.

Terre d'Hermes also holds one of the rare distinctions of giving me a near-instant headache upon application, presumably since it probably shares the same olfactory provenance as many commercial floor cleaners. The longevity is excellent, then again, slash some Pine-Sol on your clothes, you'll find that similar scent equally durable.

I can't say I hate Terre d'Hermes, that would be unfair and inaccurate, I loathe it. It is the embodiment of everything wrong in perfumery, it's expensive without smelling good, pretentious and superfluous. There is no need for this thing to exist and but for the Hermes association it would be quickly forgotten. It is the olfactory incarnation of everything wrong in the world. As readers of my previous reviews will note, I loathe hyperbole, but I steadfastly believe discontinuing Terre d'Hermes might simultaneously bring world peace and end global hunger...ok maybe not, but it'll surely make some of the planet smell better.
    I'm not a huge fan of TdH, just happen to like it somewhat but its nothing like what you say, sure I do get some rubberish vibe but pine ?? no way, I've be around pine trees alot and also around turpentine (shifted alot and got furniture repainted and polished much) so I don't pick up either notes in it or get that vibe. Though it did scare me of citrus notes as it was my first frag with citrus, I'm scared of leaning towards citrussy frags due to it, but still I don't feel bad about it much. I do like the dry down somewhat. So it just depends on personal tastes.

I have it and really like it but there are days when I can't stand the smell of it. I think it's a quality frag but probably won't buy it again.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I can't smell pine in it. I hate pine smells.

I love it as well but the new bottles lost something in reformulation to my nose. Not as fresh and bright. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I wanted to like this one, but I dislike orange as a note and couldn't get past it. Smells nice on others, but I don't prefer it on myself. I find the Pure Parfum the more tolerable of the two concentrations. I do think the drydown is quite pleasant however. Not enough to keep the bottle I bought. If anyone wants mine, check my sig.

I agree with leading to other great frags too. Cartier Declaration is another good frag and has surprisingly good sillage and longevity with me.

I've given it many full wearings (official carded samples from Sephora) in different occasions and seasons and never liked it. I get the same bathroom cleaner / dish washing liquid soap vibe from it.

Give Le Labo's Bergamote 22 a try. It's a much better, more complex citrus fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I like Terre D'Hermes. I don't get pine. To me it is more orange peel that is done very nice. It is an elegant scent.

Maybe it was just lucky skin chemistry in my case, but I enjoyed this scent quite a while before the TDH hype, same goes for the EDP version.

Trolling? I really don't enjoy reading reviews written so pseudo-objectively. TdH is not a bad scent at all, it's very popular and very highly acclaimed which, if anything, proves the OP is objectively wrong. Sure, you don't have to like it but to label those who do "pinheaded" is just puerile, if not plain insulting! There's no room for that on Basenotes as far as I'm concerned.

I'm ambivalent towards TdH.

When I smell it on others, it sometimes smells fresh and groomed, other times thick and musty. I also experience this when wearing it myself - it kind of walks on a thin line between great and awful - and that's plain annoying. Another big negative with TdH is that it's so easily recognizable, I know immediately if someone is wearing TdH around me. I want to wear a scent, not a brand.

Agree with voodoodanny, well said sir.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Agree with voodoodanny, well said sir.
    In that case I'll chime in and make it three posts in a row from the north of England agreeing that the OP is out of order.
    I've written some sarcastic things myself I'll admit, but this one seemed a bit gratuitous to me. (And wasn't funny enough)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    In that case I'll chime in and make it three posts in a row from the north of England agreeing that the OP is out of order.
    I've written some sarcastic things myself I'll admit, but this one seemed a bit gratuitous to me. (And wasn't funny enough)
    And this northerner in exile makes it four. TDH does nothing for me, but I acknowledge it's popularity and everyone else's right to enjoy it without ridicule.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 6th February 2013 at 11:07 PM.

You're wrong.

TdH is a masterpiece. You don't have to like it any more than you have to like a Picasso or a Miro. Don't like it? Don't buy it. I don't like Tobacco Vanille much and see it as rather ordinary. Rather than slam the scent I simply ignore it and applaude those that like it and wear it. Thank god we all have different tastes or we would all smell the same. Wear what you like and ignore those you don't like. Name calling over a persons tastes and preferences is so 20th century.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    That's pretty much why I never use sarcasm in my posts any more, or hyperbole. I've personally found that they don't advance the discussion, and, truth be told, 99% of internet posts that try to be funny . . . aren't. And I'm including mine in there.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Perhaps your olfactory bulb has been damaged. I can't see any other reason for disliking this fragrance to the point of causing hallucinations and insulting others.

got a big bottle of edp, it's a masterpiece, really appreciated by ladies....
    Gimme Some Poetry....

Not really a 'takedown' if you're just stating a subjective point of view that carries no more weight than anyone else's on this forum. But thanks for your impressions.
    Last edited by NYCBoomBoom; 7th February 2013 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Thank god we all have different tastes or we would all smell the same.
    Yeah we might all smell like Aventus

Northern lads stick together.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

You've inspired me to wear this as my SOTD for the first time in months.

Like some others, there are days when I love it but also often wish I wore something else. I'd say it is the most finicky fragrance in my collection. Sometimes one spray puts me off, while 3-4 sprays feel just right in another setting. Literally every wearing is a gamble.

It is also one of my only scents to have never received a single compliment. I do live in a place where people are rather restrained, but even a close lady friend who is often vocal about my fragrances didn't have anything to say. I also don't think it is as versatile as many claim it to be. It can get extremely hot and humid around these parts, and I didn't enjoy it on such days.

I really like this one, but have been told it wears too mature on me. Basically I have to wear it for myself, but the thing is I can't detect it a few hours after spraying (though longevity on this is really good and can fill out a room 8 hours after spraying)

I wore the TdH deodorant yesterday - it's a little sweeter and creamy - much nicer than TdH Edt or Edp, delicious and strong - I smelled it through the day over the Vetiver Tonks I was wearing - go figure.... To me it's what TdH could have been!

Oh I think it's just wretched stuff.

I think it's one of those "bandwagon scents" like Aventus. All the cool people like it, I should too. Well this is one bridge I won't jump off.
    Actually, it seems more en vogue to criticize it or appear apathetic toward it.

It's a great fragrance and I completely disagree with the OP.

Is it me or is the new EDP juice smell off?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

An amusing post (minus the vitriol and judgement) . . . good for a couple of chuckles.

I'm reminded of the main character, Clamence, in the Albert Camus (see OP's avatar) novel, La Chute . . . Camus referred to Clamence as follows . . .

"He has a modern heart, which means he can't stand being judged. Thus he hastens to try himself but he does it so as better to judge others. The mirror into which he looks will finally be held out to others." "Is the man who speaks in this book putting himself on trial, or his era?"

Oh, the pain.

It's a huge iso-e super bomb, the drydown is 95% iso-e.... Jean-Claude Ellena needs to put down the iso-e and come up with something original and halfway decent.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I grew to like Terre after a while, and wore it for a few months; but gradually grew to dislike it (not as much as the op, of course). I think I just came to the conclusion that, frankly, it smells vaguely of flinty sweet body odor (and don't even get me started on the Pure Parfum, which I do loathe). Pine? That's a new one to me. I'm not sure it's the Iso E Super in it, but it could be. I think TdH used to be over 50% Iso E Super.
    My experience with TdH is similar. I really liked it when I first tried it. I grew to not like it too much. Liked
    the flinty quality at first.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing about TdH though........even though I don't like it personally I don't think it's significance can be denied. In kind of the way I feel about Quenton Tarrentino.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 9th February 2013 at 01:02 AM.

LOL i cant stand it either but darn! tell us how you really feel

I went from loving Terre on a coworker, to being appalled when I tried it on myself, to trying it again and liking it, buying a full bottle, then over the months, growing a bit ambivalent toward it. Thankfully, though, as others have mentioned, it led me to Cartier Declaration, its ancestor, which I think is a far more interesting fragrance and which I love.

Boy, did Terre d'Hermes ever get your attention. And then some. Bare in mind, there are many fumeheads have a change in heart after a bruising initial encounter.

All in all I think your last paragraph gave you away. The part about "bring peace and end world hunger" was either tongue in cheek , maybe like the rest of the post. or the overly ornate words of a restless disgruntled 20 somethings having a shot at perceived symbols of patriachial male authority.

I think TDH is too put together and too perfect. If you prefer the design of a Cadillac SRX/CTS over an Audi A#, you would probably really like Terre d' Hermes. It's just too shiny, too metallic for my taste. I like those notes and am a fan of JC Ellena's other perfumes with vetiver, woods and iso e super but this one doesn't do it for me either. It smells good in short brief exposure and mostly on other people, not me. Thank God for differences, otherwise we wouldn't know who we are! Would we?