Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Angry WTH Serge Lutens?!?!

First of all, I like buying my fragrances in an amount between 75 ml and 125 ml for my personal collection. I go to their website and find that their prices are ridiculous for 75 ml. The price between 50 ml and 75 ml is more than double when most companies like to offer more for less money. Here are some prices of Chergui which is what I was looking to acquire:

50 ml (USA)
    75 ml (USA)
    75 ml (Europe)

Can someone explain the ridiculous price in the middle? Especially since Europe is much cheaper adjusted to foreign currency translation.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: WTH Serge Lutens?!?!

Who can explain? No one I am aware of on the Bell Jars. Yes, purchasing the Bell Jars from the EU is much cheaper, but unfortunately they will not send to the US, so we are stuck using the US site unless you know someone who is willing to send the fragrances from Europe.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

That 75 ml is bell jar from Paris Exclusive Line which is going to be available in USA for a limit time.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    That 75 ml is bell jar from Paris Exclusive Line which is going to be available in USA for a limit time.
    Good to know! Thanks Wit_Siamese.

This is how it is sometimes.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    They have been available in the US for a while. First at Barney's NY store only, but Lutens now has a US only website, where all the Bell Jars along the export line is available.

Bell jar isn't worth the money unless you get someone to pick one up for you and doesn't charge you extra. 50ML of SL juice is more than enough, even though I always buy the large bottles as well. SL is high quality, and very potent. A little goes a very long way.

The bell jars (exclusive line...ect.) is very new stateside and before recently could only be purchased overseas or shipped over by someone kind enough to purchase it for you. The markup on them is almost criminal, but they get away with it since there is no other easy way to buy them.

It really bothers me since some of their exclusives are absolutely mandatory in my mind (Iris Silver Mist, La Myrrhe, the list goes on) not to mention how beautiful the bell jar is.

It's a shame that they feel they can rip off US customers like they do, and if you look around you will find most people not too happy about it.

Also, I think it's kind of questionable how they discontinue semi-popular fragrances from their export line into the exclusive line...ex. Fumerie Turque, Chene, Santal de Mysore.

Can't help you with your query, but on a side note, you can get Chergui from Beauty Encounter for $80.

I have no explanation of the stiff price difference given persons in the USA but you can ask this person to shop for you. She provides a reliable, although not free, shopping service for items found only in Paris: http://www.shopfranceinc.com/
    I believe she can offer a price somewhere in-between the US and Europe prices for the bell jars.

Stick to the 50ml for frags in the export line and just buy the bell jars when you want one of the special ones.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Can't help you with your query, but on a side note, you can get Chergui from Beauty Encounter for $80.
    +1

Yup

Because Serge Lutens in in the buisiness of making money from selling bottles of perfumes. I would say that Mr Lutens is a multimillionaire.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

So don't buy Serge Lutens fragrances?

They get a lot of attention here, but honestly fragrances that I cannot afford I just don't worry about.
    Fall/Winter Signature: Midnight in Paris EDP by Van Cleef & Arpels
    Spring/Summer Signature: TBD
    My Swap Thread

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Stick to the 50ml for frags in the export line and just buy the bell jars when you want one of the special ones.

Don't worry, in general you are much better off in the US with most prices of designers clothes, electronics etc.
    In this case it's may be the other way around.
    ----------------------------------------
    My Favorites:
    1) Serge Lutens (EdP Ambre Sultan)
    2) Andy Tauer (Edt l'Aire du désert Marocain)
    3) Boadicea de Victorius (Complex & Provocative)
    4) Artisan Parfumeur (Tea for Two)
    5) Amouage (Edp Epic)
    6) Amouage (EdP Interlude)
    7) Davidoff Classic (Edt Classic) - vintage
    8) Lorenzo Villoresi (Edt Piper Nigrum)

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    +1

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    First of all, I like buying my fragrances in an amount between 75 ml and 125 ml for my personal collection. I go to their website and find that their prices are ridiculous for 75 ml. The price between 50 ml and 75 ml is more than double when most companies like to offer more for less money. Here are some prices of Chergui which is what I was looking to acquire:

50 ml (USA)
    75 ml (USA)
    75 ml (Europe)

Can someone explain the ridiculous price in the middle? Especially since Europe is much cheaper adjusted to foreign currency translation.
    Essentially, the 75ml bottles are bell jars (splash bottles), prior to their availability in the US, are exclusive to Paris. Some of the bell jars have 50ml spray counterparts, the so-called 'distribution line', or export line, such as Chergui.

Since there is now an agreement to let some retailers in the US to bring in the bell jars, it appears that the retailers priced the bell jars higher than it would have cost in Europe, regardless of whether the bell jars have export line counterparts, since they believe there is a market segment willing to pay for the convenience of obtaining such bell jars in the US now. This may account for why the bell jars cost so much more in the US compared to in Europe, and why the 75ml bottles are also so much more expensive than the 50ml sprays.

Buying the bell jars is, of course, much cheaper in Paris.

To buy Chergui in the US, go for the spray bottles, which can be had at good prices on online retailers, as some other posters may have pointed out already. Go for the bell jars only if you want the exclusives that are not available in spray bottle.

^^^ What I said.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove