Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: No national nor international shipping of fragrances from July 15th 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Well I've just tried my first compliant package. I put a third of a ml of frag, then a cut up slice of cotton wool pad and inserted it in the vial. It absorbs all the liquid and can be applied off the cotton wool. I shall report back after the recipients reviews.

I have to say this is certain ruin for many small fledgling businesses as well as huge ones. Never mind the perfume industry alone, what about the bottle industry, the packaging industry and the paper industry to name but a few.

Complete lunacy, with health and safety gone quite mad IMO. How many planes and trains and ships have been blown up by a frag? I don't mind being asked to label them but banning them is bonkers for international trade.
    First of all, the cotton idea was very smart! And I'm the one who received her first compliant package.
    The only downside when using this method is the hard work you have to go through to get the piece of cotton out of the vial. I struggled quite a bit with that part. The rest is pretty simple once you've got it out. Just squeeze the juice from the piece of cotton onto your skin and you're set!

Big thanks to @mumsy for sending me the samples, you're my hero!

Default Re: No national nor international shipping of fragrances from July 15th 2013!

That can be addressed by obtaining those wider necked vials but I'm not yet convinced of it's true conformity, nor the effect of cotton on perfumes yet. I shall have to soak some for a month alongside a normal sample and see what effect it has.

The issue definitely seems to have come from the CAA and not the Post office. I suspect the PO will be struggling with the sheer loss of business soon. Perhaps the CAA have transport plans for Britain. You can bet your bottom dollar this will be about profit margins and business somewhere along the line. It certainly be nothing to do with safety.

I shall ask again.
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Basenotes Plus

@mumsy
    Quote:-
    'There are no reviews due in July 2013. On January 14 2013, the new rules came into effect for all contract business customers sending larger volumes on account to UK addresses and for all consumers and businesses sending items abroad. On July 15 2013, the new rules will be introduced for consumers and smaller business customers who send smaller volumes to UK addresses.'

But in the previously quoted email to me re. private consumers:-

Perfumes are currently prohibited by dangerous goods regulations and should not be sent to UK addresses. From 15 July 2013, perfumes can be sent in the domestic post as long as certain packaging guidelines are met which includes the volume per item not exceeding 150ml; no more than four items to be sent in any one package and a 'dangerous goods in limited quantities' (ID8000) label being applied.

If you write again, please could you ?why private consumers are not mentioned iro U.K. shipping in sentence two.
    In his reply to you Mr. Gee, from this wording, makes it look like the new rules from Jan. only apply to contract clients or both sorts shipping abroad!
    Which is not what we were told - we were told that we can't now, but may in July, U.K. only.

Only interested, as it has been my belief that private consumers had not previously been banned from posting scent within the U.K., although they would like us to think that this is the case!
    Last edited by lpp; 17th February 2013 at 01:49 PM.

It sounds to me like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.... tell me a new story there!!!
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Basenotes Plus

Hopefully, Mr.Gee's reply will clarify this point as it is an important one.

http://planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm
    Last edited by lpp; 19th February 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by dlegros View Post
    I'm currently waiting on a batch of samples from Surrendertochance.com and am getting increasingly concerned that I'm not going to get them :-(
    Hurray! They arrived today - unmolested.

Must have just been the post-pixies being on a go slow
    Last edited by dlegros; 19th February 2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Basenotes Plus

I think that we may safely assume (despite any. info from individual R.M staff) that consumers may not post scent at present.

Mr. Gee @ R.M. Chairman's Office stated in an email that the website is correct, so any updates should be there.

Please note that the potentially confusing aspect of the website is that non-contract customers should ensure that they are looking at 'Consumer' regs, not those for 'Contract/Business' clients, which are different.
    Just because you consider yourself a business does not mean that the Contact/Business rules apply to you!

So, if consumers post scent they are currently breaking the law & may be prosecuted.

@Diegros - bet you're relieved!

Please see various other threads & note that @mumsy is currently doing a super job.

N.B. I politely asked via Twitter for clarification yesterday, but they 'lost' my tweet & blocked me!
    Last edited by lpp; 21st February 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    N.B. I politely asked via Twitter for clarification yesterday, but they 'lost' my tweet & blocked me!
    Oh what an astonishing surprise!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Oh what an astonishing surprise!!
    Well, point was made - for a short while!

Edit 12.35
    O.K., seem to have been unblocked, having conversation but they again posted the link 4 contract clients when I asked re. personal ones, so awaiting clarification.

- - - Updated - - -
    Edit 13.47
    O.K. so their Twitter staff must be the same ones david was talking to on the 'phone the other day! No clue.

My post @0934 appears correct.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st February 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    @Diegros - bet you're relieved!
    Oh yes!

It was worth the wait though!

Basenotes Plus

Further updates here (Male Frag.):-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/324...ipping-Perfume

and (Industry & General):_
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/325...ipping-Perfume

Suggest updates on regulations/ application of same are posted on those threads in order to save confusion.

The first link (the first posted thread with this name) is hoping for actual service/regs updates, etc.
    Last edited by lpp; 26th February 2013 at 03:52 PM.

What if people used surface mail for international items? Whilst I appreciate the ban is unilateral and you'd have to be willing to break it but I'd suspect that surface mail is getting far less scrutiny than the airmail items. Okay it may take longer to get there but at least its more likely to arrive.

Basenotes Plus

Please see other threads quoted above for updates.
    As there are so many now, it's difficult to keep all of them up to date without needless duplication & confusion.

Possum pie started a blog & any updates will hopefully be posted there also.

R.M. do not appear to have reached agreement with the the maritime guys either, so any overseas shipping from UK by R.M. is currently banned.

They were x-raying & destroying any suspicious parcels last I heard.

- - - Updated - - -

Please see new thread March 5 edit.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/327...49#post2866549
    Last edited by lpp; 5th March 2013 at 12:40 PM.

This is a big question for many of us at the moment. Personally I've used FedEx successfully for a range of parcels, including HazMat but it certainly isn't easy and it's much too expensive for sending finished perfume and out of the question for samples or decants.

In the last couple of weeks I've had to stop accepting orders for international delivery unless they are large / high value, though as I said in my earlier post, using the labels that have been authorised for contract customers seems to be working for domestic mail, even though in theory those rules don't yet apply to people without contracts (like me).

I'm currently in negotiation with a UK based, family owned company with a worldwide delivery capability to see if we can agree a set of tariffs that will make it possible for me to switch to using them for posting simple bottles of perfume (that are now routinely being destroyed by Royal Mail and USPS). If we come to a good position I've agreed to publicise their service to other perfumers and perfumistas both in the UK and worldwide and I will do that both here and on the Yahoo Group.

It won't ever again be as simple as popping a jiffy bag in the post, but I am hopeful that we will again be able to send each other perfume worldwide.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for your efforts Chris, fingers firmly crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    This is a big question for many of us at the moment. Personally I've used FedEx successfully for a range of parcels, including HazMat but it certainly isn't easy and it's much too expensive for sending finished perfume and out of the question for samples or decants.

In the last couple of weeks I've had to stop accepting orders for international delivery unless they are large / high value, though as I said in my earlier post, using the labels that have been authorised for contract customers seems to be working for domestic mail, even though in theory those rules don't yet apply to people without contracts (like me).

I'm currently in negotiation with a UK based, family owned company with a worldwide delivery capability to see if we can agree a set of tariffs that will make it possible for me to switch to using them for posting simple bottles of perfume (that are now routinely being destroyed by Royal Mail and USPS). If we come to a good position I've agreed to publicise their service to other perfumers and perfumistas both in the UK and worldwide and I will do that both here and on the Yahoo Group.

It won't ever again be as simple as popping a jiffy bag in the post, but I am hopeful that we will again be able to send each other perfume worldwide.

Great to hear there may be a possible solution :-)
    My current favourites Chanel Bois des Iles & Frederic Malle Iris Poudre

Does anyone know where you can buy the ID8000 labels from? I had a delivery from Escentual today with one on the back as an adhesive label but I can only find the sample design as the pdf from RM.

Basenotes Plus

Your local P.O. should have them (free), or you can print them off from the pdf.

Yes, I've seen the PDF but was interested in the adhesive pre-printed ones. Is that what Royal Mail provide at the PO?

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, don't know as I don't need to - could 'phone a P.O.?

Basenotes Plus

If Royal Mail is anything like the USPS, they won't have them. I am sure they can be bought from many places over there. Doing a google search on this side, over 100 suppliers turned up.

Do you have a company named ULine over there? They sell all sorts of packaging and will have it. If not, try Amazon.

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to order samples from "First In Fragrance" in Germany or would any incoming fragrances be destroyed by Royal Mail.

Basenotes Plus

A vexed question still, I think - there are many stories....

I bought a bottle of Anima Dulcis from FiF back in mid February and it arrived okay. Not tried any sample packages from them since but have one on the way from Luckyscent. Will report on outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Healer View Post
    I bought a bottle of Anima Dulcis from FiF back in mid February and it arrived okay. Not tried any sample packages from them since but have one on the way from Luckyscent. Will report on outcome.
    I believe they use DHL if you are ordering full bottles so that side of things seems fine. It's just their samples that are received by the Royal Mail on our end where their is a big question mark whether they will be destroyed or not. Hope your luckyscent samples get through ok.

i always send as registered airmail and everything arrived in the uk

Basenotes Plus

You're lucky then!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I believe they use DHL if you are ordering full bottles so that side of things seems fine. It's just their samples that are received by the Royal Mail on our end where their is a big question mark whether they will be destroyed or not. Hope your luckyscent samples get through ok.
    My last parcel from them was sent via DHL in Germany but was dealt with by Parcel Force here. I understand they are also part of the joint statement on dangerous goods in the international mail guide you pick up at the post office so I though they would destroy perfume parcels too. Anyway I will see if my Luckyscent package gets through as you say that will be dealt with by RM so I will keep my fingers crossed and report back.

I though the checks were more on outgoing items than incoming? Royal Mail has a duty to comply with the regulations on all outgoing items as it places other carriers at risk. For items coming in to the country that risk has already been accepted by the foreign national postal service who agreed to allow the post in to the system. From what I understand, RM do not screen in coming parcels in the same way they do outgoing.

I just received a perfume sent from the UK to Australia so it looks like some perfumes are getting through