Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Where to sniff these designers in greater Chicago?

Hi all,

My adventures in blind-buying have yielded some serious disappointments lately and, sufficiently chastised (at least I hope so!), I am now looking for brick-and-mortar stores in the greater Chicago area where I can sample some designer lines not carried by Macy's or Sephora's. Some examples of the brands I have in mind being:

* Balmain
    * Caron
    * Guerlain (Neiman's carries a couple of their scents only)
    * Ted Lapidus
    * YSL (for their older ones like Jazz & Live Jazz, not L'Homme)
    * Lanvin

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where to sniff these designers in greater Chicago?

Just go to Michigan Avenue and within 1 mile there is Saks, Nieman's, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Barney's (oak st and Michigan), Hermes, Art of Shaving, L'Occitane, Chanel, ...also on Oak off of Michigan is YSL. I really enjoyed the niche stuff at Batneys.

also this link to the city guide here.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191365-Chicago
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Just go to Michigan Avenue and within 1 mile there is Saks, Nieman's, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Barney's (oak st and Michigan), Hermes, Art of Shaving, L'Occitane, Chanel, ...also on Oak off of Michigan is YSL. I really enjoyed the niche stuff at Batneys.

Thanks for the response. I understand that these stores carry higher-end niche lines, but do they also carry the designer brands I listed?

Post Thanks / Like

Many like Saks, Nieman's, Bloomingdales and others carry designer lines. The issue you might have is that some of those haven't been stores in a bit I believe....Jazz and Live Jazz I believe...but there is a YSL store that will have their products. I have never seen Lapidus in the stores here. I did just read that there is a Lavin store here now and that YSL, now Saint Laurent has moved. Lanvin is on Oak. Guerlain is at Niemans, as you said..and Bloomingdales. I would just do some internet searches and walk the Michigan Ave, areas. I also believe some other random stores might carry Balmain from a search I just did.

http://chicago.racked.com/places/lanvin
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, man! This is great information to have.

Good info TC. Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post

Agreed that the city guide is a great place to start. Sometimes you can find some hidden shops listed there that you may not run across otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    Agreed that the city guide is a great place to start. Sometimes you can find some hidden shops listed there that you may not run across otherwise.
    Right. Like there is a place in that thread, Merz Apothecary that us in the Palmer hotel now..found that out in the thread. Palmer is off State St however, not The Mag Mile area. Another place the browse. It is a nice little shop that carries some random things and they have a website I believe.
    --Ben Hogan

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we should form a chicago team guys!!! i live close to THE CELL!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Protector, you should be able to locate Balmain, Caron, and Guerlain scents at the Nordstroms on Michigan near Grand (the HUGE store), but I know you will chance the older YSL scents, a Lapidus scent or two, and the Lanvin items at, of all places, a local Perfumania. Also, seek out independently-owned fragrance shops that can be found in malls like Woodfield, Fox Valley, or Chicago Ridge. Usually find some REAL gems there. Also, Mag Mile stores like NM, Bloomingdales, and Barneys (on Rush) have great selections of off-the-wall scents.

Tony T...you live near The Cell??? Haha...too funny! I lived near 35th and emerald when I found the site in 2005!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Richie_B! This is definitely good news!

Post Thanks / Like

What's at Merz apothecary? The one in Lincoln square have any goodies? I haven't been there in years

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Merz is nice. They have a lot of wetshaver favorites including Penhaligon's , Tabac, Taylor of OldBond Street, but also carry L'Artisan and Diptique and many others.

There is a perfumania store (at least as of a couple years ago) in Water Tower Mall (on Michigan Ave).

Barney's is the best for high end niche like Nasomatto, Malle, Le Labo, etc.

Designers as stated above at Neimans, Saks, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    What's at Merz apothecary? The one in Lincoln square have any goodies? I haven't been there in years
    The Merz in the Palmer House carries more scents than the Lincoln Square location (or so I'm told by the sales associates). You'll find offerings from:

Penhaligon's
    L'Artisan
    Trumper
    Roger & Gallet
    Taylor of Old Bond Street

...plus some other brands you don't see everyday.

I'm going to +1 Richie B on the perfume shops at the malls. Now that C.O. Bigelow is gone from Woodfield, you're left with an independent shop on the lower level. Better yet is the fragrance shop in Fox Valley (upper level by Sears). It is probably your best bet for the older YSL, TL, etc.

BTW: Neiman's is being re-modeled downstairs, and the frag counters have been shoved off to the side. Also, if you swing by Nordstroms, you gotta sniff around the first level (technically the 'women's' section) and not just limit yourself to the men's section upstairs. This is where you'll find your Guerlains, Diptiques, et al.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have much to contribute to this thread other than a thumbs up for Merz Apothecary; I have only ordered online from them. Also this info is REALLY helpful; I have lived in the burbs all my life and have yet to shop on Michigan Avenue...now I think I'll make a trip in the spring when the weather is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Ivory88, thank you for the "chorus" in regards to independent shops! The one in Woodfield (before you get to Nordstroms when walking from Macy's) is VERY interesting: I've seen them with Duc De Vervins, Armand Basi, tons of designer stuff, and even off-brand stuff that has great character! And yes, I forgot to mention that the main level of the Big Nordstroms on Michigan is the way to go; the Men's frag section is nice, but not as complete as the "main" fragrance area on level one.

And I have to visit Merz Apothecary. I found them 5 years ago or so one the main level of Marshall Field's State Street store (it was not Macy's then) and was pleasantly surprised that they carried such gems as Isis: Power of The Sea and a good variety of Geo Trumper scents.

Interesting: When I came aboard in 2005, I was hard-pressed to find people close to Chicago who were scent fans. Nice to see people coming aboard, but I apologize, I have been away for a bit. Perhaps when the weather softens a bit we may gather for a Sniffing Safari. It's been quite a while for me.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't imagine how dangerous to my budget it can be that I live a 10-minute walk from the Michigan Avenue shopping district.

So many fragrant temptations...

Nick
    No anchovies? you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger"