Code of Conduct

Default Colognes for students

I'm still a student and am looking to try out cologne. Any recommendations for a student considering the following factors:
    -Student/School/Job appropriate
    -Winter
    -Typically indoors environment
    -Preferably no musk basenotes (When I think of musk, I think of wild animals and I don't think that's a scent I would like associated with me)
    -Price limit is <= 300 (three hundred)

Most other threads have recommendations with musk basenotes which from what I can understand is the longest lasting smell so I'm trying to find other suggestions. Additionally, I personally prefer "clean" scents over anything else really. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Colognes for students

Burberry London

If you mean $300 limit per bottle you have a lot of room to play. I assume you mean that you don't want to spend more than $300 for several bottles. If that is the case you can always go with inexpensive classics like Cool Water as something fresh and clean - as well as long lasting. Nautica Voyage is also something that you may like that won't cost you much. Both are very office appropriate.

Oh, I meant 300 a bottle

I was looking at some luxury ones like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and decided that I needed a big budget for a "premium" bottle.

MiP
    TdH

Basenotes Plus

L'Anonyme

You might like YSL's Rive Gauche pour Homme...get the version in the metal cylinder, being the version just prior to the current one, which I believe comes in a glass bottle. You can get it for less than $50 on some reputable discount websites.

Acqua di Gio is another favorite that I forgot to mention that you would probably like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainMan View Post
    Oh, I meant 300 a bottle

I was looking at some luxury ones like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and decided that I needed a big budget for a "premium" bottle.
    Ahhh...if you are looking at a big ticket purchase you could have some fun with it - definitely try before you buy if you are going to spend that kind of money. The other option you have is to check out Basenote's swap/sale/and split sections. A lot of times you can get in on a split of something like Tobacco Vanille. Granted you don't get a huge bottle of it, but ounce for ounce you'll probably end up paying only about 60% of what it would cost you to buy the bottle yourself. It is a popular way to save money without having to buy Costco size quantities.

Erm, is it weird to use something like Noir de Noir as an every day scent?

You're right though,I am looking to make a big ticket purchase but I haven't really anywhere to try them out (too far away).

Noir de Noir can definitely be an everyday scent. But try before you buy.

A student with 300 dollars to spend on a single bottle of fragrance!? Wish I'd had your parents! ;-)

In the interests of being helpful and not just trolling however, give Silver Mountain Water a try from Creed. Great stuff and very clean smelling.

All self made here, man.

Will do. Was thinking of trying Green Irish Tweed in the spring as well.

All self made here, man.

Will do. Was thinking of trying Green Irish Tweed in the spring as well.
    Green Irish Tweed is fantastic. You would love it. Don't bother with Cool Water - the only reason I even suggested it earlier was because I thought you only had $300 to spend on you whole collection.

- - - Updated - - -

Erm, is it weird to use something like Noir de Noir as an every day scent?
    Noir de Noir is a beautiful scent as well. I'm looking to get my hands on some as well as I have only sampled it.

for clean scents, Sel de Vetiver, allure blanche, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Riverside Drive, L'eau Issey Pour Homme is a classic for starters
    Just rec not to overspray as a student. Can't copy off your classmates if they are passed out from your fumes!

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with GIT and Silver Mountain Water too but love Millesime Imperial much more. Just wish longevity was a little better. It was my first niche love.

Gah, it's actually surprisingly difficult to choose one of these things.

On one hand, if you like Noir de Noir you typically really really like it as far as I've read. On the other hand, it seems that Tobacco Vanille is more widely liked but maybe not loved. And then there are others like Tuscan Leather which also seem rather popular. Thoughts?

I'm focusing mostly on the Tom Ford Private Blends because it helps me stay focused on actually picking something and not being overwhelmed with choices and subsequently losing interest.

GIT recommendation was a good one, I might say give Dior Dune a go and Bvlgari Pour Homme too though it contains musk but not in a bad way, its more like light white musk (or so it seems to my nose).
    Last edited by craniumbash; 8th February 2013 at 12:48 PM.

A big budget. If you want something fresh, I second Vetiver extraordinaire (freshest) or Chanel Sycomore (a fresh, but elegant vetiver).

Incidentally, there are many types of musks. Some are animalic, but some are very clean - for instance, the smells of dryer sheets and softeners are musks. So when you read the word musk don't assume it's the dirty type.

cacio