Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Sample of the Day - February 2013

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Freddie, l'm just wondering, what would your ideal vanilla smell like?

Today l tried Sarrasins by Serge Lutens.
    I've been thinking about this vanilla fragrance and I can't decide :P When I have pieced my ideal example together I'll post it here haha.
    I kindda agree with Sarrasins, it didn't do too much for me, but I did find it heavily indolic/fecal for a short while, I like the fruity notes up top - but it was very quiet and didn't evolve into anything worth while on my skin

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    I sampled Parfumerie Generale Private Collection - Un Crime Exotique last night. Relaxing tea scent - NOT!
    Cello I felt exactly the same about this one. Be sure to sniff Magnetic Scent's Untitled #2 for a far better example on this chai-tea spicy theme

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Sample of the day for me = Aftelier's Haute Claire (Thanks to Freddie for the sample)

Not a fan of this one. It has a note that reminds me of A* Men, which I don't like! I get old flowers and urine from this one - sorry :-)
    Aww no way! Haha. I do understand the urine thing - that's the honey. I love intense honey and the florals are outstanding in this one. Shame it's not to your taste but revisit it in a few months and your mind may be changed!

Last night I tried to relax with spiced tea, and that did not work out. Tonight, I have resorted to hemp! And it has totally worked!

Tonight I sampled Perfumerie Generale Coze.
    Mmmm nice one! Have you tried PG's Intrigant Patchouli? It's not gourmand, but it's gloriously rich! An intense civet/patchouli/amber combi to die for.

Blog Entries

Freddie, l look forward to hearing about your dream vanilla, when you've figured it out!

Today l tried Shiso by Aftelier.

The opening is a bittersweet accord of herbal notes, mainly mint, along with what l interpret as anise. This accord has a leafy, but not overly green feel to it. Shortly after, a light touch of cinnamon comes to the fore, joined a little later on by woods, incense & a smoky black tea of the lapsang souchong variety. lt then settles close to the skin, but just as l think this fragrance is going to turn all sweet & powdery, the herbal, leafy accord returns, & continues to weave in & out for almost the whole duration. There's a soft patchouli in the base, & it all lasts a very respectable eight hours on me before fading out.

A very interesting fragrance with some surprising twists & turns, this definitely merits further wearings to explore it further. l am intrigued by its mix of warm & cool notes, & l found it the longest-lasting of the Afteliers that l've tried.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Freddie, l look forward to hearing about your dream vanilla, when you've figured it out!

Today l tried Shiso by Aftelier.
    Fabulous take on this one teardrop!
    I found it very very difficult to wear becuase the clove not goes huge on me. The battle between heated spices and herbal, vegetal greenery was a bit too challenging for me, but one of the most fascinating, avant-garde compositions in Mandy's lineup
    Bit of Shiso trivia for you:
    Shiso was made by Mandy based on an old Geisha recipe - apparantely this is a similar scent to a powder that geisha's would scatter on their robes but the scent would be too unappetizing to our noses so she dressed it up a bit - still, not what you'd expect!
    And, when I went to Andy Tauer's, he has a bottle of this as it's his favourite in her line

Blog Entries

Thanks freddie! lndeed it is not what l would expect a Geisha to smell like, but then l've never really thought about it before. And that's so cool that Andy has a bottle of this, somehow that makes it even more intriguing to me!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sample of the day for me is Stephen Jones by CDG. I actually really liked this one (thanks Freddie) Very Floral opening and quite ‘chemically’. After about 15 minutes it gets kind of powdery, but nice powdery. I’m also getting a kind of clove note from it. All in all very nice and now 2 out of 3 that Freddie gave me that I really like :-)

Sample of the day for me is Stephen Jones by CDG. I actually really liked this one (thanks Freddie) Very Floral opening and quite ‘chemically’. After about 15 minutes it gets kind of powdery, but nice powdery. I’m also getting a kind of clove note from it. All in all very nice and now 2 out of 3 that Freddie gave me that I really like :-)
    Fantastic Dailey
    I gave you Stephen Jones becuase it's very simplistic, very modern and avant-garde, yet smells quite dated and classical in a way. It's also one way to identify aldehydes (that chemical smell you get up top that's quite soapy) - the florals are mainly violet with a bit of carnation (that clove note - with added clove hahah), and there's a strange mineralic note that weaves in and out of it. I really like it, and consider it an almost black-tie perfume, it's formal, cold, sharp and mysterious :P
    I think the clove note is very old-school gentlemen's cologne-y and I love that.
    Glad you enjoyed this one - two out of 3 is good going so far! I'm sure you'll warm up to Haute claire in the future

As for me?
    Tonight I sampled Ambrarem by Histoires De Parfums
    Not really for me: a hit of pepper up top followed by a smoky, sweet syrupy accord that reminds me of a less birch tar heavy version of CB's Burning Leaves. It then goes a little powdery, stays sweet, an oud underneath just kind of sits quietly at the bottom not doing much, along with a pinch of saffron. The drydown turns very castoreum heavy and reminded me of a sweeter version of Mona's Cuir. It's light, almost translucent... nice enough and worth a sniff but - I need better

Nice one Freddie. Next up for me (hopefully tomorrow) is Bosque (Humiecki & Graef)

Nice one Freddie. Next up for me (hopefully tomorrow) is Bosque (Humiecki & Graef)
    FAB! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Bosque. Take your time with it.

Thought I'd chime in with a few reviews of my own since I've been doing much sampling as of late:

Dior Oud Ispahan: I've eagerly been wanting to try this and finally received a sample of it. Have tried it a few times and this is what I have to say. It starts of with a beautiful rose note that is lush and almost jam like. Labdanum comes to join in almost immediately after and the two are just perfectly blended together, practically made for each other. A huge dose of smoke is added in a few minutes later and reveals this sort of dark element to the whole of the fragrance. Not to much oud so to say at the top, but lots of rose, labdanum and smoke which is fused to create an intoxicating smell. The dry-down is where some spice comes to help create a backbone and oud finally comes to fuse with the lush rose note that I love so much. The smoke dies down and I feel as though the rose note tones down to kind of blend in with the other notes, it's not so much at the for front any more, something that bothered me since that rose note was gorgeous. Mind you, this is about 6 hours into the fragrance. The oud and smoke combined with light spices is what is mostly detected at this point with the creamy element coming from the fused rose. This dry-down was very similar to that of Leather Oud's and that comparison of the two scents could not stop be. Overrall, love the top and mid, but the dry-down was to close to Leather oud's and I wish the rose was still more to the fore front; but it's still a gorgeous scent nonetheless. Lasts forever and is a sophisticated scent that I find would be hard to wear. Such a great fragrance would not fit in certain scenarios like in a classroom or anything like that, would shine in a formal event, at least I think so. This would work well primarily in the fall and winter, and maybe a spray in the spring would also be lovely. Its definitely not your typical rose/oud combo seen so often these days. A good addition to the La Collection Privee line for Dior.
    Overall: 8.5/10

Tom Ford Cafe Rose: I had high expectations when I first heard about this one. But the disappointing reviews from many had me worried. Reading the notes had me thinking this would be a dark fragrance dominated by coffee specifically. First thing aI smelt was may rose that had hints of black pepper, quite linear and little going on, I had no detection of coffee or patchouli. It actually came off as quite feminine and this was kinda shocking. The mid consisted of a toned down rose with a coffee bean like note trying to support the rose. Slurpees on YouTube said it right when the supposed coffee note felt like a dry coffee bean extract. It tried to support the rose note but they did not seem to mix well. I love rose, one of my favourite smells and notes of all time but the rose in Cafe Rose felt uninspired and rather lacking. The entirety of the fragrance felt feminine just so everyone knows. This sandalwood comes in with the rose and creates a creamy element that is once again rather lacking. All in all, very disappointed. This one had so much potential and Tom Ford really screwed up. This could've been a big hit for them if they did this right and for that this fragrance will always aggravate me.

Overall: 6/10

Blog Entries

So nice to see new life being breathed into this thread, keep those thoughts coming, Dailey!

Today l tried Geste by Humiecki & Graef.

l get a quite lovely opening of fresh, lightly powdery, woody violets, quickly joined by a slightly salty note reminiscent of a softer Dans Tes Bras. Then ten minutes in, l get a note l can only describe as "lightly used ladies underthings". l'm guessing that this arises from whatever variety of musk is being used here, but l have smelled quite a few "dirty" fragrances, & never detected this note before. From here, this fragrance does not develop any further, & stays close to the skin, but lasts a respectable eight hours before fading.

l really loved the opening of this one, but "that" note would prevent me from ever wearing it in public; way too embarrassing!

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts canuck! Oud Ispahan is really nice as I remember, really need to try it again - I think I want a bottle anyway :P That pink juice! Hahaha.

teardrop: Geste is fabulous isn't it, I don't get that dirty note really, but I get what you mean about underwear.... maybe that is the dirty note? :') I get it in Boudoir majorly - I wore Westwood's Boudoir for years and years as my signature. Do you get this in Putain Des Palaces?
    I just found Geste a perfect powdery florals atop musk combo - a real beauty

Blog Entries

Freddie, l have not tried Boudoir or Putain des Palaces, & so l cannot compare them. lt wasn't a "dirty" note exactly, more the scent of underwear which has been worn for just an hour or two after bathing. Very lightly worn, & not exactly unpleasant, but an unmistakeable scent nonetheless!

Freddie, l have not tried Boudoir or Putain des Palaces, & so l cannot compare them. lt wasn't a "dirty" note exactly, more the scent of underwear which has been worn for just an hour or two after bathing. Very lightly worn, & not exactly unpleasant, but an unmistakeable scent nonetheless!
    Love it! :P

SOTD for me is Bosque - Humiecki & Graef

Another good choice Freddie – like this one too (3 out of 4) ;-)

Main things I get here are Grapefruit and Flowers/plants. I definitely get Vetiver from it too and I would say it’s very creamy (but that seems to float in and out). I happen to know (one of many normally useless facts I know) that Bosque means Woodland or Forest. Not sure if it’s Spanish? And this makes sense because there is a grassy/plant note in there.

All in all very nice :-) Have only tried it for a day, so will spend some more time with it.

Next one for me will be Ambra Nera

Dailey, bosque is indeed spanish, and refers to a wooded oasis generally found in the arid Southwestern part of the United States along the few waterways. I live in New Mexico, and we have an ecosystem (bosque) running along the Rio Grande river. From above, if you were to fly over the area, it looks like a green ribbon amongst the brown surrounding land. Migratory birds take advantage of this path, and we have areas that well known for bird watching during certain times of year.

Now, certainly, I must smell this perfume In my head, it would smell dry, yet with a hint of lush green - of woods and wetland. Hmmm.

Blog Entries

Thanks Dailey! We need to start the new March thread; l'm planning to do it later today if no-one gets there first!

Dailey, bosque is indeed spanish, and refers to a wooded oasis generally found in the arid Southwestern part of the United States along the few waterways. I live in New Mexico, and we have an ecosystem (bosque) running along the Rio Grande river. From above, if you were to fly over the area, it looks like a green ribbon amongst the brown surrounding land. Migratory birds take advantage of this path, and we have areas that well known for bird watching during certain times of year.

Now, certainly, I must smell this perfume In my head, it would smell dry, yet with a hint of lush green - of woods and wetland. Hmmm.
    Thanks for that - interesing stuff :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dailey! We need to start the new March thread; l'm planning to do it later today if no-one gets there first!
    Cool - looking forward to it