Code of Conduct

Default What happen to the Pure Leather hype?

Thierry Mugler's Pure Leather was highly hyped when it was introduced in September of 2012. It seemed like all I read on basenotes was about Pure Leather. Now, it seems like a scent of the past. Very rarely do I hear anything about it. Why do you think this fragrance appeared to have gone into the trash bin in only five months? Your views.

Default Re: What happen to the Pure Leather hype?

I wasn't active around then, but didn't hear any thing about it. Be curious to hear others opinion on this one as well.

Everybody finally realized that it's not worth the hype I guess
    and that it's similar to the original but with more plasticky notes!
    and that it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    and that it sucks
    Damn. I guess it's too late at night to expect much action. I even made some popcorn.

I think Pure Leather receives more bashing than hype. I personally think it is the most different smelling flanker of A*Men much more different from the original than Malt & Coffee (I do not count Havane, Taste & Shot since they smells nothing alike the original)

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    and that it sucks
    Yeah, I was sorely disappointed with this "flanker" as well. I really think Mugler got lazy with this release. It's way too similar to the original A*Men that I wasn't sure what the heck was going on with my official sample. I could barely tell the difference!

The only difference, if any, that I was barely able to detect is that Pure Leather is just a bit toned down version of A*Men. Other than that, the two fragrance were pretty much a carbon copy of each other. What made it worse, is that I got ZERO LEATHER. Not even a bit.

So glad I didn't blind buy this.

Overcome By Fumes

Eh.

Oh come on, all that romantic stuff about soaking the frag in casks, along with honest-to-God pieces of leather.....and then there's no leather ?

Geeze, where's the love ? Where's the magic ?

I finally got to try it today and was underwhelmed. Smells 90% similar to the original.

I thought it was OK when I bought it,and still do.

I've got so many leathery scents I didn't even want to sample it for fear I might like it !

IMO it is good....but they must change its name! I do detect leather but there is nothing pure about it! There are many better leather scents out there..I was expecting much darker & crisp leather. Even then I like it because its almost a copy of A*Men and I do not need to buy the replacement bottle of it now!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Why do you think this fragrance appeared to have gone into the trash bin in only five months? Your views.
    If I wanted to smell like pleather, I'd hop in my Delorean, check the flux capacitor and travel back to the 90's to find an 80's Nissan to sleep in.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The Mugler fanboys are in hibernation. Or coma, I don't know. I heard they drank this stuff to drown their sorrow.

With Mugler's history of being somewhat overwhelming in terms of 'going big' I was expecting a massive blast of leather, something like that of Tuscan Leather, but when I tried it, I honestly didn't get a strong leather note at all, hardly any in fact. I think for many the expectations were very high and this flanker simply couldn't live up to them. It's not bad but it's nothing particularly special or worth buying if you have the original.

It stinks. Seriously, this is one of the worst A*men flankers yet in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    If I wanted to smell like pleather, I'd hop in my Delorean, check the flux capacitor and travel back to the 90's to find an 80's Nissan to sleep in.
    Yep. Nasty smelling "leather" note.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Every one learned rather quickly on this one, it is no big deal and not bottle worthy.

Maybe the Pure line has run its course. Mugler sure milked it hard, using his strong, muscular arms.

My nose can be a rather blunt instrument at times (alot actually, compared to many of the super sensitive noses around bn) but I've always thought the flankers were too close to the original. In other words -- PM: Original Vibe = 90%, Malt Vibe = 10%; PH: same proportion; Pure Chili, same. Whereas, I think I'd like the opposite mix percentages, 20/80, hell maybe even 50/50, I dunno.

I've sprayed Original, PC, PM, PH, & Taste all side-by-side on coffee filters and on skin... and yes I can tell they are different. But those differences are so subtle to me and rather non-existent during a normal wearing. I typically spray to the chest under t-shirt and cotton oxford. Sure, I get a malt or tobacco (etc) waft now and again but what I'm saying is that the general vibe is the same to me regardless which one I wear.

So, when Leather was rolled out the early reviews told me 'same-ole-same-ole' and I've not thought twice about it since. Perhaps others have had or or having a similar experience? Plus, the hokey idea of leather straps diffusing their magic in concentration ... I'd have more respect for a statement such as "through a proprietary blend of certain woods and animalic scents molecules in our labs, we've been able to replicate a unique leather note" or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yeah, I was sorely disappointed with this "flanker" as well. I really think Mugler got lazy with this release. It's way too similar to the original A*Men that I wasn't sure what the heck was going on with my official sample. I could barely tell the difference!

The only difference, if any, that I was barely able to detect is that Pure Leather is just a bit toned down version of A*Men. Other than that, the two fragrance were pretty much a carbon copy of each other. What made it worse, is that I got ZERO LEATHER. Not even a bit.
    Agree with the above. Pure Leather is the only one that's available in stores, aside from the original, and I've received a few samples, so I've been able to try this one out a few times. I was also really surprised by how close it is to the original, in my opinion more so than Pure Malt and Pure Havane, and I get NO leather! It seems the "leather" toned down the initial harsh note of A*Men and kept the rest.

I didn't get Pure Leather, I got 'Pure Diesel' - I wanted to like it (after getting hooked on Pure Havane) but couldn't get past the nasty diesel smell which I assume must be my nose's interpretation of the plasticky, cheap leather smell everyone talks about. Shame.....

I agree 100% with this take. I almost bought it on impulse, took a breath and decided to smell it, and thankfully I backed away. Way too similar to AMen, which I am done with.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post

So glad I didn't blind buy this.

Didn't think I would get so many responses on this thread. I remember back in September,seemed as though everyone was talking about Pure Leather. IMO it was a disappointment and it was too much like Amen. Just goes to show how one day a frag can be on top of the hill, and the next day at the bottom.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 7th February 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Didn't think I would get so many responses on this thread. I remember back in September, everyone was talking about Pure Leather and loving it. IMO it was a disappointment and it was too much like Amen. Just goes to show how one day a frag can be on top of the hill, and the next day in the dirt.
    I think there was a lot of hype leading up to it's release. Many people, myself included, were excited and then once we got our noses to it the hype died as it failed to live up to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I didn't get Pure Leather, I got 'Pure Diesel' - I wanted to like it (after getting hooked on Pure Havane) but couldn't get past the nasty diesel smell which I assume must be my nose's interpretation of the plasticky, cheap leather smell everyone talks about. Shame.....
    Yes, it's more of an oily synthetic "leather" smell. Like I said before, probably the worst of the "pure" flankers.

I got a bottle of this a couple days ago, i like it. I own Pure Malt and i love that scent but there is something in it that turns my stomach.

I sprayed my self twice this morning, can still smell it and its 10:25pm

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    I think there was a lot of hype leading up to it's release. Many people, myself included, were excited and then once we got our noses to it the hype died as it failed to live up to expectations.
    Yup! If you were to plot the hype on a graph, you'd have what looks like drawing of a swimmer doing a high dive, as it climbs, climbs, climbs the ladder, finally reaching the diving board the day Pure Leather was released. Then there was a little jump followed by a hype diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive. The dive would get great marks from the judges too because there was almost no splash at all as the hype hit the water.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The dive would get great marks from the judges too because there was almost no splash at all as the hype hit the water.
    Now that made me chuckle.

I'd give that response a 10.0
    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Yup! If you were to plot the hype on a graph, you'd have what looks like drawing of a swimmer doing a high dive, as it climbs, climbs, climbs the ladder, finally reaching the diving board the day Pure Leather was released. Then there was a little jump followed by a hype diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive. The dive would get great marks from the judges too because there was almost no splash at all as the hype hit the water.

I think some people wanted a unique fragrance while others wanted something like Pure Malt. A*men Taste of Fragrance was very unique, but it bombed (I love the stuff). Pure Leather wasn't unique and was way too close to the original. Pure Shot was just plain awful so people were already a little leary to blind buy Leather.

I find the topnotes simply disgusting.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

The Pure line up to Havane use to be very legit and always very good imo. From that point on it has become very lackluster. I tried Pure Leather at the store and it was pretty much just A-Men. Can't really speak of Pure Shot but from what I have heard it is something I have no interest in what so ever.