Code of Conduct

Default Does the same fragrance smell differently on you from day to day?

I'm wearing Profumi del Forte's Ambra Med. today and it doesn't smell as good on me as it did a few days ago. I'm also wearing two other amber frags in order to do am amber appraisal before buying one. None of them smell as good as they did. Can a fragrance change on us depending on factors such as mood?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does the same fragrance smell differently on you from day to day?

I definitely think so! I have fragrances that I generally do not like, end up smelling not too bad on rare days.

Not so much from day to day for me, but definitely from month to month. Longevity certainly varies though depending on how hydrated I am which in turn can affect the way the fragrance smells.

Oh, definitely!

Environmental and personal factors can all impact on the way you smell (either how you smell the fragrance or how it smells on you), for example: the weather, hormones, mood, season, other smells around you, level of tiredness, and so much more...

Some people, however, are more sensitive and, therefore, will notice the difference in smell. Others may not notice those (sometimes subtle) differences.

Some great points there! Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Some great points there! Thanks.

Fragrances always smell the same on me.

Another yes here - sometimes quite differently, sometimes it is a subtle change which you notice only because you are very familiar with a perfume. This is one of the interesting aspects of wearing a perfume more regularly - you get to discover new sides to it, see how it behaves depending on temperature (your own and ambient), humidity etc. I have also noticed that skin chemistry varies and I think this primarily has to do with what you ingest and with hormonal cycles.

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

Hardly ever. Or, if there is difference, I may not sense it perceptibly enough.

I don't think thats possible.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

I doubt the fragrance actually smells different although the conditions in applying it may change it a little. But the same fragrance certainly smells better or worse, more or less interesting on a given day. I have days where everything I try seems to smell better than I remember it. But over the long haul the more and more you try something the more your general perception of a fragrance seems to solidify. In other words the fragrances that I am very familiar with almost always seem to smell the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I doubt the fragrance actually smells different although the conditions in applying it may change it a little. But the same fragrance certainly smells better or worse, more or less interesting on a given day. I have days where everything I try seems to smell better than I remember it. But over the long haul the more and more you try something the more your general perception of a fragrance seems to solidify. In other words the fragrances that I am very familiar with almost always seem to smell the same.
    I agree that the general perception of a fragrance will solidify as you wear it. But at the same time once you are very familiar with a fragrance you are also in a better position to notice small changes (I am not talking about suddenly discovering new notes) that you might not otherwise have noticed. I can't say I notice (or bother to "register and compare" ) differences on a daily basis, but I have certainly noticed that things like temperature, humidity, how/where you spray, hormones (this could be due to a change in sensitivity but I find all scents seem sweater at certain times in the monthly cycle), and diet have affected the way a scent behaves and/or how I perceive it.
    Last edited by Plaisir; 10th February 2013 at 11:32 AM.