Code of Conduct

Default Vintage vs. Reformulated DHI

Hey all, I've been testing very, very slowly some vintage DHI and was wondering if I should seek out the reformulation before trying to purchase it (maybe). Is there much of a difference? I'm sure I am beating a dead horse, but what are the main differences? Is it worth paying more for the "vintage" juice?

Default Re: Vintage vs. Reformulated DHI

To my nose there's only a difference in the opening and a very slight difference in the dry down. In the reform your going to notice a pear note that quickly smells like cocoa with a hint of vanilla. In the vintage you'll get more of the cocoa up front in the opening and the vanilla is a bit stronger in the vintage. In my opinion you'd be insane to pay 3 to 4 times as much for the vintage. Even if they were the same price I wouldn't be upset if I got a bottle of the reform instead of the vintage.

From what I've read the vintage lasts longer and projects more. The reformulated has a less prominent iris note and is more gourmandish.

I own the Vintage (2010) and this stuff last 10 hrs on me and and has good projection and sillage. One of my top 5 all time.

Sometimes Sephora has old stock and you may find a vintage. That's where I got mine from and that was last April.

Sorry this post I made is wrong I was speaking of DH not DHI.

I own reformulated DHI. I do enjoy it, yet I much more prefer my Vintage DH.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 8th February 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Just get any one at the best price you can.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just get any one at the best price you can.
    +1. I do prefer the original, but it's definitely not worth what its going for on eBay.

The difference between the two is the original has a strong iris note (the lipstick scent everyone is talking about) in the initial spray. Instead of cocoa, the reformulated version was replaced with a pear note. IMO they both smell the same. If you like the vintage, you should like the reformulated.

Gonna have to snag some.. I miss my 2005 bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Sephora still has the vintage on their website. Is this what you'd get?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Gonna have to snag some.. I miss my 2005 bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Sephora still has the vintage on their website. Is this what you'd get?

DHI was launched in 2007, perhaps you're confusing it with Dior Homme which was launched in 2005?

Highly unlikely, I'm guessing Sephora hasn't updated their pic.

Ah yes, talking about DH, thanks jive! I checked the Las Vegas boutique and they only have DHI in 50 ml and it will be a month before they gets more 100 mll.

I enjoy the vintage more but like the others I also enjoy the reformulated version and cannot justify the price for the vintage. I find that both versions are exceptional fragrances. I would say get the reform unless you can find a bottle of the vintage at a cheap price.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Ah yes, talking about DH, thanks jive! I checked the Las Vegas boutique and they only have DHI in 50 ml and it will be a month before they gets more 100 mll.
    Try the NY store. That's where I got my bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Try the NY store. That's where I got my bottles.
    Thanks! I will tomorrow!

Best place to get it is fragrancenet. When they get it in stock it goes super fast.

I prefer formulated one. Irıs note is still there but a little less strong and overall it is not more sweet but feels like more gourmandish to me. Longevity 10+ hours easily on my skin and you'll get noticed even 6-7 hours later after you apply. It still behaves like an edp. Vintage might last 1-2 hours more but projection will be so weak to none with that 2 hours.

I've owned all 3 formulations of DHI and prefer the latest version, mainly because it's not as loud and not as sweet as the vintage formulation but still lasts and projects 8+ hours on my skin. As for the first reformulation (black collar/late 2010-mid 2011 batch) -- I didn't like it and think it's badly blended (just like the first reformulation of Dior Homme EDT).

Quote Originally Posted by Awsome View Post
    I prefer formulated one. Irıs note is still there but a little less strong and overall it is not more sweet but feels like more gourmandish to me. Longevity 10+ hours easily on my skin and you'll get noticed even 6-7 hours later after you apply. It still behaves like an edp. Vintage might last 1-2 hours more but projection will be so weak to none with that 2 hours.
    I beg to differ with the projection, its on of the most projecting scent currently in my collection (though I have a fairly small collection). As far as the difference goes, I can smell the iris not longer in the reformulation than in the vintage but the difference is very insignificant other than the faint pear note. I can vouch for the vintage as I was lucky enough to score 3 bottles of it for around 80$ each this past december. Also it may only be my nose but 2008 formulation seemed sharper to my nose than the 2010 formulation (just my minor thought)
    Last edited by craniumbash; 8th February 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Smellbasically the same. I think the only ppl that could tell a difference are those that have been using the vintage for a long time asnd then switch to the reformulated. Anyone else find it funny that the word "vintage" gets thrown around for things less than 5 or 10 years old.

I must disagree that they would smell the same. If i spray the vintage and reformulated juice onto my arms, there are obvious differences in smell, also in longevity and sillage. I find the reformulated versions being clearly worse than the original 2007 formulation, which i find more masculine. Maybe because i don't like gourmands and the later formulations are more gourmandish.
    But still i don't think it's worth to pay 4-5 times more of the vintage. It's not so much better though.
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)