Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default SotD: Friday 8th February 2013

Good morning all !. Fuelled by a strong double espresso to combat today's chill, and about to embark on a general tidying up session in the garden. Green fingers ? - just call me Incapability Rodgers

SotD is Roma Uomo.

Happy Birthday TwoRoads

Default Re: SotD: Friday 8th February 2013

Good morning, Mr. Green Thumb!
    All is frozen here... no garden work chez Larimar.
    So I am enjoying a little decadent stink in Al Oudh.
    Happy Friday all!

Bonjour!
    Antaeus, vintage

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Caron Bellodgia vintage PdT for me today.

Wish you all a lovely Friday.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Morning All,

TGIF ! Villoresi's Sandalo today.

Have a good Friday, folks.

Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Morning fragrant ones!

I wore Hermes Poivre Samarcande this morning but, after showering, I have switched to Fracas as participating in Synchronised Fridays. This week: your loudest fragrance. I'm a walking tuberose sillage bomb.

Blog Entries

Good afternoon, all!

Too cold for gardening here! l'm sampling Petroleum by Histoires de Parfums today; not really my thing.

RHM; any news on that missing bottle? Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Have a great Friday everyone, hugs all round!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Been in Gorilla Lust this morning to synch.

I was quite surprised to find it was Friday today

Organic chemistry level 3 - PASSED!
    SotD is Prada Amber Pour Homme with a test drive of Laboratorio Olfattivo Rosamunda

Congrats on your pass Lucasai!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Oh, Jon, you provocateur, you know which G word hits my G spot. (Drop that eyebrow, Larimar; that's a PG comment.) Our garden is under a fresh foot of snow.
    RHM, it will all work out. Fretting comes easily to us, doesn't it?
    Easyfish, thanks for the funny hug. I embrace you in return.

Loudest scent? No doubt that's Giorgio! Cheerful as a has-it-all cheerleader voted prom queen who's throwing orange candy suckers from a flowered float in a parade which includes a marching band hepped up on energy drinks. I think that's close to the official description. Or it's this:

"The top notes of this Giorgio Beverly Hills perfume include orange blossom, peach, apricot, and sweet nuance of bergamot for a mild spicy whiff. The Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio contains the delicate blend of ylang-ylang, tuberose, rose, and orchid that form the middle note for providing honey-like sweet smell, with nuances of jasmine and orange. The base notes in this Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio are warm sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, amber, cedar, oakmoss, and musk for a pleasant woody smell with a strong earthy odor."

Applied ever so lightly, Giorgio is raucously pleasant.

Smile Re: SotD: Friday 8th February 2013

( from samples )
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post

Lucasai!! Big congratulatory hugs to you; you're just flying through these exams! I knew you would!

Yes, like teardrop, I've been thinking about your IP, RHM. I hope all ended well!

Syncing in Insolence today, one of my loudest stinkers. Hugs to everyone!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Smile Re: SotD: Friday 8th February 2013

SotD is Prada Amber Pour Homme with a test drive of Laboratorio Olfattivo Rosamunda

Hi Lucas congratulations
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Hello everyone!

I'm in Chanel 1932 again, and I can finally say without reservation that I'm completely smitten - it's wonderful. It's been interesting getting to know it, and I feel like my early impressions are quite far from what I'm perceiving now, which is mostly iris within the lush floral heart, rather than jasmine ...although there's plenty of jasmine, too. This iris note reminds me a bit of the iris in HdP 1889 Moulin Rouge, but '32 is really not similar to MR in any other way, and there's no makeup vibe going on ...nothing fun or cute either, and certainly not kitschy. And it's warmer, much more aldehydic and floral, and much less green than both 28 La Pausa and No19, so this is not just another Chanel iris. However, I tend to pick up on any iris in perfumes a lot. (I get loads of iris from Oro, for instance, as well as several other fragrances that aren't generally considered iris-y by most, so that's just a note for people that would want it just for the iris.) Most accounts I've seen call this a powdery jasmine perfume, but my experience has been different. Just fyi ...as always, your mileage may vary. At any rate, I do highly recommend this for the Chanel lover, as well as any fans of luxurious aldehydic florals. As you'd expect, and as I expected, 1932 is elegant and beautiful, well-mannered, ladylike without being prim, and good for any age, any season and every occasion, day or night ...impeccably Chanel.

Y'all have a great day!

Oh boy, good luck with your FedEx issue RHM - that really stinks! I sure hope it's resolved asap.

Hey - good for you, Lucas - congratulations! (I don't know how I missed that - I had to double check to find out what the big deal was, lol!) Well done, indeed - cheers!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 8th February 2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Congrats Lucas! Oh exam days, hard to believe that's over 20 years ago now!!

I'm wearing a mystery sample that's either Lyric Woman or Chergui. I'm guessing Lyric, but does anyone know what color the juice is? It was like a dark rosy color in the sample vial. I uncorked it to take a guess, then slathered it on because it was so warm and inviting. Nice thing after a foot of snow overnight!

Happy Friday everyone!

Thank for all the congrats guys!

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    Congrats Lucas! Oh exam days, hard to believe that's over 20 years ago now!!

I'm wearing a mystery sample that's either Lyric Woman or Chergui. I'm guessing Lyric, but does anyone know what color the juice is? It was like a dark rosy color in the sample vial. I uncorked it to take a guess, then slathered it on because it was so warm and inviting. Nice thing after a foot of snow overnight!

Happy Friday everyone!
    I've had a look at both my samples for you. I think you've got Chergui on, it's much darker than Lyric woman, which is pretty much clear (from my carded sample). Hope that helps!

Congratulations Lucas! It has been awhile since I was in organic chem. Ah, those lab smells.

So Sync Fri is our loudest fragrance. I shall have to spritz some Loulou by Cacherel. I love it, but have to be careful where I'm going when I wear it. Like staying out of elevators, lest I find someone unconscious at the end of the ride.

Evangeline, thanks for the lovely review of Chanel 1932. I can almost smell it.

Thanks Scentsucker!! I am thoroughly enjoying it. But I vaguely remember loving Lyric as well, so I just ordered both as 5ml decants so I can get reacquainted.

How do you like both?

Evangeline, I don't even like floral aldehydes and even I want to sniff 1932. Irrationally, as a jewellery lover, I feel like I should own this fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Scentsucker!! I am thoroughly enjoying it. But I vaguely remember loving Lyric as well, so I just ordered both as 5ml decants so I can get reacquainted.

How do you like both?
    i like them both. For Lyric woman, I enjoy the top notes most (overall great longevity for me) For Chergui, it's the dry down that gets me. I haven't bought Chergui yet, as I can't decide between it and five o'clock au gingembre. But I'm definitely getting a FB of lyric woman from duty free. I feel very ladylike in it.

Oh, I've never tried five o'clock au gingembre, but now I'm going to need a sample!

Lucasai, congratulations! Good for you! How are you celebrating? (And please don't say with more studying!)

Dangit! I missed the synch again! :::shakes fists at sky:::

Serge Lutens Fourreau Noir today. Not even close to my loudest fragrance. But perfect for the chill, gray day here.

To Quarry, 30Roses, and all of the rest of you in the East about to be buried in snow, big warming hugs to all of you.

Happy Friday, all!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Lucasai, congratulations! Good for you! How are you celebrating? (And please don't say with more studying!)
    I can't celebrate just yet - I'm having another exam on Monday.

Oh, I've never tried five o'clock au gingembre, but now I'm going to need a sample!
    Go for it!

Offrez-Lui by Galimard

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm in Chanel 1932 again, and I can finally say without reservation that I'm completely smitten - it's wonderful. It's been interesting getting to know it, and I feel like my early impressions are quite far from what I'm perceiving now, which is mostly iris within the lush floral heart, rather than jasmine ...although there's plenty of jasmine, too. This iris note reminds me a bit of the iris in HdP 1889 Moulin Rouge, but '32 is really not similar to MR in any other way, and there's no makeup vibe going on ...nothing fun or cute either, and certainly not kitschy. And it's warmer, much more aldehydic and floral, and much less green than both 28 La Pausa and No19, so this is not just another Chanel iris. However, I tend to pick up on any iris in perfumes a lot. (I get loads of iris from Oro, for instance, as well as several other fragrances that aren't generally considered iris-y by most, so that's just a note for people that would want it just for the iris.) Most accounts I've seen call this a powdery jasmine perfume, but my experience has been different. Just fyi ...as always, your mileage may vary. At any rate, I do highly recommend this for the Chanel lover, as well as any fans of luxurious aldehydic florals. As you'd expect, and as I expected, 1932 is elegant and beautiful, well-mannered, ladylike without being prim, and good for any age, any season and every occasion, day or night ...impeccably Chanel.

Y'all have a great day!

Oh boy, good luck with your FedEx issue RHM - that really stinks! I sure hope it's resolved asap.

Hey - good for you, Lucas - congratulations! (I don't know how I missed that - I had to double check to find out what the big deal was, lol!) Well done, indeed - cheers!
    I am joining Mrs. E in Chanel 1932 from my new, blind buy bottle that arrived on my doorstep yesterday
    Only an hour into my first wear, but I am not quite getting as much iris yet, aldehydes are fading slightly and jasmine is coming to the fore. I hope that Chanel iris kicks in as it does for Mrs. E, cause it would be wonderful. Very pretty and classy so far, but I knew that was going to be.

Good morning, good smelling people, and congratulations on your exam, Lucasai.

I am coincidentally in synch today, in Jailia over the body shop mango lotion. Very resolutely fruity. I think that Prairie Nymph is technically the loudest fragrance I own - I am afraid to even spray that one, will only dab gently - but this Jailia is tied with Alien in the next place, and the mango lotion takes it even one notch up.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina girl View Post
    Congratulations Lucas! It has been awhile since I was in organic chem. Ah, those lab smells.
    ditto!!!!

SotD is Myrrhiad, exceptionally kind and comforting with my cold and the weariness it implies...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I remember suffering through Organic in an accelerated 6 week session. It was like memorizing a small town phone book a day. Congrats!

R de Capucci today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Plus

Robert Piguet's VISA this morning. It's Sofie's favorite on me & has been for years. I just got back from picking her up at school, she doesn't feel well. We stopped by the grocery store on the way home & bought ice cream & chocolate to help her cravings. That & a heating pad should do the trick.

FedEx is being weird. They've called my house twice since I talked to them yesterday, never left a message & this morning they hung up on me. I even put a note on my door to knock loudly, as my bell doesn't work.

Frustrating!

Congratulations on the chemistry grade, Lucas! We are so proud of you!!!!

I'm going back to bed, not to sleep but to rest. I've got that awful cough that's been hanging around & I have to work tonight. They don't need me bringing germs to my residents.

Basenotes Plus

House twin with Mrs Q, and in synch for the evening - Giorgio for Men.

Could this be the real reason I was in the garden earlier ?

((((Wolfie))))

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hugs to ((Sofie)) and ((RHM)). Frustrating situation, hope it works out soon.

Another hug for ((Twolf))

lucasai! Good job on the exam!

The snow is falling...and will keep doing so for a good while. I'm just glad we have a snow blower!

SotD is Demeter Gingerale.

La Fille de Berlin for me.

Good evening,

I am jealous of those wearing the new Chanel and Serge Lutens.
    Jicky PdT tonight.
    Best to all.

Basenotes Institution

lucasai - CONGRAT'S!
    Warm Bear Hugs to all that need them - it is positively warm, sunny & beautiful here!

Joining Scentsucker in the house of Hermes, today will be a Hermessence Day, so I started in my favorite one:

Hermessence Ambre Narguile by Hermes

Later on I'll wear some other H's, probably Vetiver Tonka or Osmanthe Yunnan...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

MKK this evening; another sample drained. l tried this one out on my bf the other day, & it's *divine* on him, (swoon! ) much better than Musc Ravageur, which on his skin came on much too strong & sweet for his delicate sinuses. Now to start saving for a FB for him for next Christmas...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned

i ended by mistake on mens SOTD they just name the scent...here one has something to read

in many Chanels...i notice that iris note, and i think i started disliking it when turning powdery...as it is a bit in Cuir de Russie....and Chanel 22 a lot!....

...i am more then 12 hours now into La Myrrhe and it still smells strong amazing stuff, its such a beautiful sandalwood drydown!

This is me today.
    A walking, talking bale of vetiver.
    Sycomore on one half and Encre Noir on the other. I'm leaning toward the crisp, cool Lalique on this equally chilled Chicago day.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Hey again y'all -

Hooray cello! I sort of figured you'd be next.

I'm in the magnificent Deneuve for the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    ...in many Chanels...i notice that iris note, and i think i started disliking it when turning powdery...as it is a bit in Cuir de Russie....and Chanel 22 a lot!....
    Now that's interesting - I don't get any iris from No22! That gorgeous jasmine-ylang-rose accord is what defines 22 for me, along with those luxurious aldehydes, of course.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Banned

hi Evangeline, oh i get it massively

No22 is XXL aldehydic scent...unlike gentle La Myrrhe ....but i dont get any yilang...i dont know even if its there it could come forward behind these aldehydes, tuberose, nutmag and huge dose of powdery iris...that makes this scent so luxury to my nose..so noble, and i fell for it...but its not the vegetal one like in La Pausa...this here is powdery iris, more like in Insolence EDP, or Shalimar intial...where its all so powdery ....

no 22 is just too much of everything i could not wear it its LOUD

Evangeline I have a bad bad case of green nosed envy...Deneuve one of my favourite chypres. Who says celebuscents can't be outstanding?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The snow drifts are crazy!

Our picnic table has almost disappeared. Our cars look like giant shapeless marshmallows.

Here's my car:

The snow against our storm door was about 2 ft deep. I was afraid we wouldn't be able to get out the door at all if we waited until tomorrow to clear it. I shoved the door open about 3 inches, stuck a push broom through the opening and loosened and pushed some of the snow on the top step to the left, down the steps, so that my husband could finally force the door open enough to step out and and shovel off the top step.

And still it comes down, and will for another 10 hours or so.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th February 2013 at 05:54 AM.