Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Allure Homme V Dior Homme

I've heard a lot of good things about these two, but they're quite pricey so I can't afford both. I've only tested Allure Homme and I must say it's beautiful, but doesn't project well after a while (prove me wrong?) But I've got a friend who said Dior Homme smelt like lipstick, and I got put off.

I'm a first year University student, and I'm looking for a nice scent for day wear as I've got my Joop Homme for the night life.

Default Re: Chanel Allure Homme V Dior Homme

Dior Homme

I don't know why this lipstick thing started. It doesn't smell like lipstick. Did you by any chance prompt your friend by asking, "Do you think this smells like lipstick?" Don't overestimate the power of suggestion.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The father versus the son. My money has to be on the father here. Chanel all the way.

Out of those two, I'd go with Allure. Dior Homme get's a lot of love here on BN, but it screams "old" to me. At your age, Allure should do fine for a date, semi-formal scent. Really though, you should consider moving away from Joop! as your night life scent, there are plenty out there that are more appropriate for your age, IMO.
    Summer Top 5:
    1) Creed Aventus
    2) A*Men Pure Havane
    3) Dior Homme Sport
    4) YSL L'Homme
    5) Clinique Happy for Men

Definitely Chanel Allure for me. I really really tried to like Dior Homme (I definitely get the Lipstick/Makeup bag vibe), the most that I could ever get out of it is a 7.5/10.

Chanel Allure is also good, but always found it a bit bland and boring - but the better of the two if you ask me.

I'll recomend Allure. It's nothing crazy weird or interesting, but it's simple, classy, and well made. It'll never be out of place no matter the situation. Dior Homme is interesting, but I couldn't wear it all the time.

Dior Homme is exactly the point of Chanel saying "fashion passes, style remains". Dior Homme is Fashion, Allure is Style.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I never get these self imposed restricted this VS that situations. If you haven't even smelled Dior Homme restrict yourself to it?

There are plenty of things a young guy like yourself could enjoy wearing and would fit into this similar vibe. I'd suggest go to the mall, hit a few stores including sephora and get samples of everything you like after smelling them on cards. Then sample them and see which ones you like wearing the best.

Both of those are good but it really depends on what you like. Test them out first before buying a bottle and then deciding after a wearing or two it isn't something you'd like to wear regularly.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Definitely Dior Homme for me.

DeepSilence

Allure Homme is more subtle and interesting IMO.

Sur la Plage

Dior Homme. Period.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 19th October 2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Allure Homme.

Chanel Allure ph of course.
    But if you're looking for a daywear fragrance I suggest Chanel Allure Homme Sport,that is more fresh ad casual then the original Allure ph.

Chanel Allure homme. Hands down..

Now that he's been thoroughly confused by the nearly even split responses he just might have to get samples and try them both to know which one he likes....as opposed to what everyone else likes. Hah

I was in your position a while ago deciding for a classy elegant scent.

I agree with the lipstick/make up bag scent from Dior Homme which I also get, it did put me off because Armani Mania and La Nuit almost fall in the exact same category for scent.

Chanel Allure is a very good and rich scent, specially for day wear. However, before you purchase anything, get samples of both and test them out first to see which scent you prefer and not base your buying decision on a first smell impression.

But my vote is for Allure since Dior didn't do it for me.

Dior Homme for me, but seriously: get yourself some samples and then decide for yourself, which one you like more.

Allure Homme

I own both. They're completely different beasts.

Dior Homme is a versatile soft floral daytime scent with a distinctive iris-and-pencil-shavings character.

Chanel Allure Homme is a cedary Oriental that's a bit too sharp for office/classroom use but a great evening/romantic scent. Not sure where you get the "doesn't project well" thing, as it's pretty potent stuff.

b10steeple

Last edited by b10steeple; 1st September 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Honestly, every time I go and smell fragrances at the Dior counter I go there with the intention of purchasing something - I am then stunned at how much I don't like the scents and walk away. I really want to like the stuff - and I keep trying to smell the good in them. But that day has not yet come.

Like I said earlier - Allure PH. Great longevity. Oh but as was said earlier by another - the Sport version may be a better day wear fragrance.

Dior Homme

Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Now that he's been thoroughly confused by the nearly even split responses he just might have to get samples and try them both to know which one he likes....as opposed to what everyone else likes. Hah
    Haha I think you may be right on this one. I'll try and get samples for both and test them out properly because I assumed they were quite similar, but I'm seeing comments saying they're completely different.

None of them excite me.

Infusion d'Homme by Prada on the other hand is so much more original and unique. It's iris doesn't smell like a carot (unlike Dior Homme) and it's so much cleaner and easy to wear thant the Chanel.

I bought a mini of Dior Homme and have never really even worn it. Not a safe blindbuy by any means. Chanel Allure or one of it's flankers for me.

Dior Homme by a longshot! Allure is one of the least exciting fragrances from Chanel.

...and the beat goes on...

Dior!!!

Chanel!!

Dior!!

Chanel!!

LOL!!

Dior Homme.

They are both nice,but also very different.I prefer the Dior Homme.

I havent worn any personally but have smelled both on paper and I gotta say Allure by a longshot. Dior is a little feminine to me.

People are saying longevity is good on allure but can anyone comment on sillage?

if you want to smell like a womans handbag and be made fun of by college women then by all means get dior homme! Otherwise get the channel.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Dior Homme smelled noticably better on my skin than on the tester card but I recently bought Chanel Allure Homme because I loved wearing it right from the get go. Only downside is its a bit common. Allure could easily be my signature scent though. It's so evenly balanced and lasts for hours.
    Last edited by Fletch31; 21st October 2010 at 05:03 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

both have great longevity. allure being more of a night scent while dior can be worn all day

Dior Homme is the better fragrance, and personally I like it more. However, Allure Homme is that one fragrance that every wardrobe needs: the all-arounder. Can be used anytime for anything and just smells nice. To me it's the best smelling, safe scent.

Chanel Allure - all day (well night really) erryday. It smells so grown and sexy, I got hold of a sample of Dior Homme to see what all the hype was about and impressed was I not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    both have great longevity. allure being more of a night scent while dior can be worn all day
    I wonder if the OP has been waiting two and a half years for you to say that before he makes up his mind...

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    Chanel Allure - all day (well night really) erryday. It smells so grown and sexy, I got hold of a sample of Dior Homme to see what all the hype was about and impressed was I not.

Chanel Allure for me

Allure as well... i think its a really nice scent that you can wear on a daily basis no matter if in a date or formal event. Its the scent that i was wearing when i first met my gf and she simply couldn't resist

Make mine Dior Homme.

I like both and wear them in the office once every week or two.

LMAO ! it's very funny because yesterday I was at the mall and I had to make a choice between allure and dior homme haha, after half an hour of thinking I went with Dior homme, but allure wouldn't have been a bad choice either. I think I made the right choice, but it's always up to you and your nose.